Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes they really complete the role play with abilities and gear nicely in most of them. Theif/assassin/stealth builds will be insane now.

Can we get more Ammo Options for the Blunderbuss PLEASE...

Like, Lead Weights that can remove limbs or decapitate Buff

Glass to cause a Bleeding Buff

Maybe even a Gasoline Soaked Cloth to ingnite the Zeds on fire Buff

you can only stack like 1200 rocks per slot. Craft those rocks into a pallet that is 1000 rocks in it, and stack like 10 pallets in one slot.

Wouldn't be kind of broken? I mean, you could store in a tiny chest like 40+ pallets... (40stacks x 10) x1000 = 400.000 rocks in a chest.

Just saying...

Thank you for the updates on a18 first and foremost. It’s great to see new things coming down the pipe and this is sure to make people excited about the game again since a17.

I wanted to thank madmole for finally saying that mods are not currently supported. While I asked directly and just got a bunch of grief for simple questions, it’s nice to have an official stance. Please next time just directly answer the question and not make it some one off comment to a person asking you if you play mods. I get that maybe you missed my comment/question but given the fact that it was the subject of debate for days it’s kinda disheartening.

Not disheartening in the way that I’m going into a corner and crying. Disheartening that you refuse to post an official stance on modding and it’s current state.

I’m glad there are HD icons coming. It’s good to play catch up with modders ;)

We did remove quality from vehicles. We'll be fleshing out the loot list. Players cannot craft high end guns in the new design without a schematic. So you can craft a hunting rifle, but not the sniper rifle. You can craft a pistol with the pistol perk, but not a magnum. So you'll have to find them or find a one shot schematic to craft them. This should help a lot. Pinks are uncraftable as well, so if you want pink, find or buy.

How do bows and crossbows fit into that schema?

A lot of players (myself included) prefer the "feel" of using bows to using guns, so it would be great if gameplay was allowed to trump realism and high end bows (needing a schematic) could be good enough that you wouldn't have to switch to using guns if you preferred to go down the bow route for aesthetic reasons.

Can we get more Ammo Options for the Blunderbuss PLEASE...

Like, Lead Weights that can remove limbs or decapitate Buff

Glass to cause a Bleeding Buff

Maybe even a Gasoline Soaked Cloth to ingnite the Zeds on fire Buff

Possibly, those are easy to do, but I'm not sure how powerful starter weapons should be.

Wouldn't be kind of broken? I mean, you could store in a tiny chest like 40+ pallets... (40stacks x 10) x1000 = 400.000 rocks in a chest.

Just saying...

I think that is the point - you can craft items to easily store mass amounts of them.

Thank you for the updates on a18 first and foremost. It’s great to see new things coming down the pipe and this is sure to make people excited about the game again since a17.

I wanted to thank madmole for finally saying that mods are not currently supported. While I asked directly and just got a bunch of grief for simple questions, it’s nice to have an official stance. Please next time just directly answer the question and not make it some one off comment to a person asking you if you play mods. I get that maybe you missed my comment/question but given the fact that it was the subject of debate for days it’s kinda disheartening.

Not disheartening in the way that I’m going into a corner and crying. Disheartening that you refuse to post an official stance on modding and it’s current state.

In more stunning news...A18 is not out yet. That's official.

That only affects those who already have way more rocks than they can use up and at that point it no longer makes a difference. LOL

We did remove quality from vehicles. We'll be fleshing out the loot list. Players cannot craft high end guns in the new design without a schematic. So you can craft a hunting rifle, but not the sniper rifle. You can craft a pistol with the pistol perk, but not a magnum. So you'll have to find them or find a one shot schematic to craft them. This should help a lot. Pinks are uncraftable as well, so if you want pink, find or buy.

That's music in my ears! Thanks

Dude it's been that answer since a5 and prolly even earlier lol. Even the big report forms state they don't support mods and for a bug report no mods can be used.

The last few months I've done quite a few optimizations:

Fixed Allocations in AstarPath (less garbage gen).

Added Optimization: Entity Ticking (Entity ticking is now time sliced across the estimated amount of frames between ticks if any).

Added GameRandomManager and GameRandom classes (less garbage gen).

Changed Entity to not push if has root motion (AI, expensive) and not to push other if it can't be pushed.

Added Block IsCheckCollideWithEntity which CheckCollisionWithBlocks uses to only do bounds checks on blocks needing it (x2 performance).

Added MovementFactor <= 0 check during CreateBlocks and removed check from other code.

Changed TickEntities to use frame count instead of time and to defer some entities for the next tick (any extra frames will tick).

Changed Physics AutoSyncTransforms to off (faster).

Added new Character Controller (for non players, 15%-20% faster).

Removed Entity wallSurface and some old code.

Optimized entity events/effects.

Optimized Progression/Effects events.

What about occlusion culling? And can we expect these optimisations next update?

Thanks for the hard work!

Supporting modding means supporting the modding interfaces (like the XMLs or file formats), to guarantee the mods will work still in future versions regarding the mechanics of the game.

That would heavily restrict their flexibility to make necessary redesigns of game system.

It would basically say: we dont want to implement more fancy features anymore, just add more content.

-> if modding is officially supported, it should be after the gold version, unless you think the game is already perfect as it is...

MM I don't know if you are planning on doing anything with the music in the game or not but it would be cool if you could find someone to redo the old Cop Killer song by Body Count and turn it into Zed Killer. Just something cool to think about. Keep up the good work.

Possibly, those are easy to do, but I'm not sure how powerful starter weapons should be.

I agree on early weapons being too powerful & I think a way to do it is add it to the Perk System so it is not a beginning Ammo or reason I called it a buff. The damage also could increase as the player increases his or her skills, maybe we could Forge Chain Links for Ammo to Entangle the Zeds Limbs. Glass & Lead Weights are found early game & should be a good source for Ammo in the Blunderbuss, just limit the Damage until you increase your Skills or read a Book. I just feel the Blunderbuss is a very versatile weapon meant to hold different types of Ammo or Shot. I think I was a Pirate in a former life, Arrrggghhh

I would like to shoot Trophy's, Candle Sticks & Door Knobs out of them, maybe a bigger Blunderbuss as you level up or maybe 1 of those mini Cannons they had mounted on the Ships. We could work them into our Base Builds or when we get Fishing & a Boat we could mount it on that, Arrrggghhh

By the way being a Fan Boy from the very beginning I am really happy with the changes in the Game & I have gone back to Nav to see all the changes there until RWG is fixed, so much to see there & happy with that also, Arrrggghhhh

Let me explain, I know a Blunderbuss is like a Cannon, the Cannon I am referring to is the small Swivel Cannon on the Bow. This Cannon could be taken ashore for Expeditions, Hunting for food & supplies or burying treasure. It could be mounted on a Tri-Pod with it's Sling Shot like Yoke,

Oh, oh, oh, can we get a Sling Shot Too Please...

I just feel the Blunderbuss is a very versatile weapon meant to hold different types of Ammo or Shot. I think I was a Pirate in a former life, Arrrggghhh

The style of blunderbuss used in the game is _literally_ a hand-cannon. Any style of ammunition you can use in a cannon can be used in a blunderbuss... with varying degrees of effectiveness. :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cannon_projectiles

Different ammunition types would make the blunderbuss a Swiss-army knife* of a gun. Need to clear a lot of zombies? Grape-shot. Need to kill a really hard zombie? Solid-shot to the head. Need to burn everything in a room? Carcass-shot.

* Not to be confused with the Swiss-army sword which, although useful, suffered from an overly large handle.

We may have to prod some modders to get varied ammunition for blunderbusses but i'd love to see it in vanilla.

The style of blunderbuss used in the game is _literally_ a hand-cannon. Any style of ammunition you can use in a cannon can be used in a blunderbuss... with varying degrees of effectiveness. :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cannon_projectiles

Different ammunition types would make the blunderbuss a Swiss-army knife* of a gun. Need to clear a lot of zombies? Grape-shot. Need to kill a really hard zombie? Solid-shot to the head. Need to burn everything in a room? Carcass-shot.

* Not to be confused with the Swiss-army sword which, although useful, suffered from an overly large handle.

We may have to prod some modders to get varied ammunition for blunderbusses but i'd love to see it in vanilla.

I didn't feel I needed to do a book report on the history of a Blunderbuss to ask for more Ammo, that's why I asked to forge Chain Links, for Grape-Shot, Arrrggghhhhh

We can make Lead Pipe but I do not see the need for a Zip-Gun, get my point...

Archived