Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Uh... i don't know how I feel about that.

How have you felt about gas barrels? They are far more of a space saving measure than this would be. Each barrel makes over a half block of gas (600) and can stack to 500. That is 300K PER STACK. You can fit over 13 million gas in your inventory alone and this certainly has more of an impact than stone - a resource that you never need to take anywhere.

This has been in the game for a long time as well and yet not a single mention anywhere that this is OP or broken. Because you need to use one storage box rather than 5 does not really affect balance as much as it is simply a QOL issue. If I have a million stone I would like to be able to store it - after all I must be max level from simply collecting that much resource.

What's going on with lights in A17? There are only 2 different ones we can hook up to electricity a simple light and the trash barrel flood light. We had many more industrial options in A16. And for A18 I would like to see the yellow tripod work lights be able to be hooked up with electricity.

Its only for ores, and only AFTER you find that one book.

There should be a new achievement for one hundred pallets crafted for every resource that can be crafted into a pallet....

Also a book collector achievement for those who are able to collect every single book there is.

(Just put me in charge of achievements :) )

Achievement Get: Blood Moon Boner

Survive a blood moon horde while killing 20 zombies with only a bone shiv.

(I got a million of 'em...)

What about occlusion culling? And can we expect these optimisations next update?

Thanks for the hard work!

Occlusion culling is in a prototype state. It works, but needs a lot more refinement. Don't know what version it would be released in.

Wait. You need a book to know how to throw sacks in a pile?

Man, I need to get my children to read that book because no matter how many times I tell them they still haven't perked into it...

Yes, it's laundry instead of rocks but still!

Wait. You need a book to know how to throw sacks in a pile?

As the ALS challenge proved, you can't ask people to dump a bucket of ice water over their head without someone taking it as an opportunity to get themselves a Darwin award :-)

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin

As the ALS challenge proved, you can't ask people to dump a bucket of ice water over their head without someone taking it as an opportunity to get themselves a Darwin award :-)

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin

Was that a direct quote? Pretty sure stupider is not correct, wouldn't it be "more stupid"? If so, shame on you George Carlin lol...

Occlusion culling is in a prototype state. It works, but needs a lot more refinement. Don't know what version it would be released in.

Thanks for your answer. Even partial occlusion (some assets?) would be great for now.

What about the optimisations you listed before? Will they come before A18?

Edit : never mind somebody else had the same question and you already replied.

Idea for 3rd Tier Pickaxe or a Mod or a Perk;

Fully Perked/Spec'd/Mod? Steel Pickaxe would be able to one-shot the Sand in between Ore rocks.

Been doing a fair bit of mining and oh man, the Sand is killing me!

Would still be painful even if I could reliably tell if I was about to hit a sand block, but with the texture merging there are a -lot- of times that's just not possible. I don't mean 'hard to tell', I mean flat impossible.

Now it may be due to running at almost the lowest possible video settings, no idea. But I'm not exaggerating.

Couple that with all the switching back and forth between Shovel & Pickaxe and ore mining had become my least favorite thing. :(

So I modded the Steel Pickaxe to be able to one-shot Sand (201 dam to earth).

That was a -huge- QoL improvement! :)

Edit: should've mentioned, I can't take the Auger noise. Do know it chews through sand right quick.

---

Other potential way to address this would be to somehow limit Sand-w-Ore-hint-blocks to surround Ore deposits, or get rid of the sand-hint blocks all together. (saw a modlet that does that and I may try it)

Thinking on it a bit I'm leaning towards doing away with the sand-hint blocks in favor of only Ore blocks. Even at the surface. Not saying that's the best way for the vanilla game, so the idea for pickaxe, but for high-hour vets, well, hitting a few exposed ore blocks to gather a couple hundred of x instead of the 1 from a sand-hint block might be a nice streamline/QoL thing for early game. And not having the aggravation of all those damn sand blocks mixed into the ore nodes later on would be really nice, imo of course :)

There should be a new achievement for one hundred pallets crafted for every resource that can be crafted into a pallet....

Also a book collector achievement for those who are able to collect every single book there is.

(Just put me in charge of achievements :) )

Achievement Get: Blood Moon Boner

Survive a blood moon horde while killing 20 zombies with only a bone shiv.

(I got a million of 'em...)

Here's one I definitely would never get:

"Play without a HUD for X hours", or:

"Survive Bloodmoon HUDless".

Yikes!

Question; is there a way to see an existing world in the random world previewer _without_ having to regenerate it each time?

I'm already playing a RWG map. Just want to view that same map in the previewer. Entering the same original seed doesn't pop in the map.

Thought in maybe 17.0 or .1 if you put in an 'existing' seed you didn't have to go through the whole generation thing...?

I second this as playing on a 4K screen the crosshair is ridiculus tiny and with a bright background it is next to impossible to see.

can be patched in client dll. But would mean EAC off. Since im enjoying IL code altering, lemme know if you wanna patch for it :)

Cheer

Archived