Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes, the majority of books found will be "old novels" or something like that. Read for xp or sell for a few dukes. Perk books will be kind of rare, so collecting all of them will be an achievement IMO. Even if I made them fairly common, the fact that there are over 130 of them and a ton of schematics means RNG will make it hard to get that last one you NEED to get the collectors bonus perk.

Hey Madmole,

Is this going to be largely the extent of the RNG search? So far it seems like we have...

Tool and Die Set

Beakers

Later Legendary Weapons (i think)

Perk Books

I feel like there's a massive void there. Partly due to memory and partly due to everything can be crafted.

Any thoughts on making the Jeep an RNG book thing or do you have more epic vehicles coming?

Thanks man, I am glad to hear that you like it. There are a few screenshots to view here if you are interested to see more.

No screens up of the SMXui modlet yet as that is a work in progress and far from done but there are a few from the other ones :)

Nexusmods

This is definitely a step up from the default. Good work on that.

It also shows that the UI system is pretty moddable, wich is a good technical base.

(Visual examples are always more impactful than long text in those kind of design discussions)

I think I mentioned this, they were blurry. I'm not saying we won't ever look at it, its just not on the table for A18. But its kind like wow, really? Out of all the stuff that is totally trashy yet, you want us to improve one of the things that is totally fine?

Anyhow right now its all about random gen, performance, bugs, balance and adding new content and continue to upgrade art to pbr.

I thought the order was rwg, bugs, performance, converting localization to xml, add new content and then balance....

Yes, we overhauled the UI around alpha 13 I think. I think some people forgot the horror show we used to have for crafting, etc.

atleast a13 wasnt allllllllll grey scale. /grin

- - - Updated - - -

I'm selling fortune cookies for the girl scouts.

ill take a box of chocolate mint!

If you are thinking about new zombies can we have a zombie postman? With daft shorts and a red bag? Also, I have several friends who are nurses and I LOVE it that the nurse zombies always walk like their feet are killing them :)

If you are thinking about new zombies can we have a zombie postman? With daft shorts and a red bag? Also, I have several friends who are nurses and I LOVE it that the nurse zombies always walk like their feet are killing them :)

Make them all look like Kevin Costner and you could have the Post-Post-Apocalyptic-Postie. :-)

In the far distant future of 2013...

MV5BMTc2NzI1MjA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTY5MTc5._V1_.jpg

Moin.

A question and suggestion: Is it possible to implant a server-setting, that fixes the gamma-setting on all connected clients? Or does there already exist an option to control gamma settings on connected clients?

We often play pvp-events with changing participants. And in pvp at night its like cheating, that some participants simply set gamma max to get an advance and we cant control that.

Fuffel

Moin.

A question and suggestion: Is it possible to implant a server-setting, that fixes the gamma-setting on all connected clients? Or does there already exist an option to control gamma settings on connected clients?

We often play pvp-events with changing participants. And in pvp at night its like cheating, that some participants simply set gamma max to get an advance and we cant control that.

Fuffel

it's pointless, they can just up the gamma on their monitor

This is definitely a step up from the default. Good work on that.

It also shows that the UI system is pretty moddable, wich is a good technical base.

(Visual examples are always more impactful than long text in those kind of design discussions)

Thank you, it has been somewhat of a passion for a while. And yes, the UI is very moddable and imho the sky is the limit.

I added a few new screenshots to the Nexusmods page to showcase the work in progress if anyone has any interest of seeing what is being worked on and such.

Speaking of UI, is it possible to get a search function for our storage boxes as well? The number of times I am searching for that one damn item and it is staring at me yet I spend 10 min scanning right past it. As a QOL issue, it would be fantastic.

That also make me think about the decor. Why are storage limits not normalized? It seems odd to me that I can place a bookcase and a water cooler but the storage limit in them is so small that they are not functional because the space in them is far too limited. As a result, everything is either a painted storage box or a locked storage chest. I want to store my guns in a gun safe and my books on a book shelf - do not punish aesthetic design with painfully small storage capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost everyone in A17 has a problem of having tons of firearms dusting in chests. I know you can sell or scrap them, but it is not the case. Firearms had always been some kind of "reward" for breaking safes and looting dangerous buildings. But now when I go looting I don't get such pleasure from finding a gun. Back in A15(and bellow) finding a gun part of high quality was satisfying and challenging, but now when I can craft a perfect gun (and almost everything else) I can't see any sense in looting big buildings. olds will understand: when you can't find something you need for weeks, and then just find it by chance, it is like winning a lottery. I miss those feelings so much...

Now it is MODs. The weapons are everywhere but that damn leg cripple MOD may take a million boxes to locate. Really is the same idea.

FANTASTIC news. Especially the crafting portion. Thank you for taking the time to look over it and rework it a bit :)

Well now I am curious what crafting quality will be tied to. Crafting quality of clubs and sledges tied to strength? Crafting quality of guns tied to perception? Crafting quality of armor tied to fortitude? Crafting quality of knives tied to agility? Something else completely different I have not contemplated?

Thanks man, I am glad to hear that you like it. There are a few screenshots to view here if you are interested to see more.

No screens up of the SMXui modlet yet as that is a work in progress and far from done but there are a few from the other ones :)

Nexusmods

This is actually an amazing UI.

Moin.

Fuffel

thats a new one...gamma is cheating...with my poor eyesight, gamma correction is a must, but it screws me over when aiming a weapon, white crosshairs in a bright area is a blob of white clouds, this wont ever get fixed cuz TFP devs cant admit that a red/green reticle would be beneficial. However, one idea is if there was a way to detect game settings and report that to the server, you could ban those poor sighted cheaters because <insert trollish reason>.

Hey Madmole,

Is this going to be largely the extent of the RNG search? So far it seems like we have...

Tool and Die Set

Beakers

Later Legendary Weapons (i think)

Perk Books

I feel like there's a massive void there. Partly due to memory and partly due to everything can be crafted.

Any thoughts on making the Jeep an RNG book thing or do you have more epic vehicles coming?

We did remove quality from vehicles. We'll be fleshing out the loot list. Players cannot craft high end guns in the new design without a schematic. So you can craft a hunting rifle, but not the sniper rifle. You can craft a pistol with the pistol perk, but not a magnum. So you'll have to find them or find a one shot schematic to craft them. This should help a lot. Pinks are uncraftable as well, so if you want pink, find or buy.

Moin.

Fuffel

This has been a thing in most games for ages AFAIK.

Well now I am curious what crafting quality will be tied to. Crafting quality of clubs and sledges tied to strength? Crafting quality of guns tied to perception? Crafting quality of armor tied to fortitude? Crafting quality of knives tied to agility? Something else completely different I have not contemplated?

Tied to the perk that governs it. F.e. Shotgun Messiah.

We did remove quality from vehicles. We'll be fleshing out the loot list. Players cannot craft high end guns in the new design without a schematic. So you can craft a hunting rifle, but not the sniper rifle. You can craft a pistol with the pistol perk, but not a magnum. So you'll have to find them or find a one shot schematic to craft them. This should help a lot. Pinks are uncraftable as well, so if you want pink, find or buy.
What about Tools and Armor?

Archived