Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Now if there was a number that represented all the zombies remaining on the map, 10,000... 100,000... any number. Then I would be there hacking and slashing with you.

Currently, gaining xp with no useable loot or resources is like sacrificing yourself to the GameStage gods.

Considering that loot is directly tied to game stage, I don't see how this is the case.

yea, you know, it seems the immersion warriors all have their own ideas on what is immersive and realistic and what is not. I just reached my limit. A18 is forever known as the immersion breaking alpha in my book.

I can punch zombies in the face -- totally immersive and realistic

i can carry around 200 tons of perfectly square concrete blocks -- totally immersive and realistic

i can, using only a wrench, break apart a car in 1 minute and get usefull parts such as engines and gas --- totally immersive and realistic

you know what though... Upgrading a block from dirt to wood, without wood, using a garden hoe - kills my immersion.

tell'em!!

Madmole, sorry for my annoyance). I want to ask again about the idea of the ladders.

So here is my old suggestion:

0. Two-handed weapons and tools (ax, pick, AK47, bow and more) should be hidden when the moving stairs.

1. Expenses stamina during fast run on the ladder should be 4 times more than when running.

2. If you are run on the ladder stamina to end the character has to stop and wait to recover part of stamina.

3. If the character does not move the ladder, it can be used one-handed weapon such as a pistol, club, dynamite, bombs and other tubular.

4. On the ladders character can not use two-handed weapons such as the bow, crossbow, machine guns, rifles, grenade launchers, drill, chainsaw, iron / steel ax and others.

If you enter these changes it will make the game a moderate realism without compromising gameplay.

I hope it does not take a lot of work, maybe in 19 Alpha?

If they can't get to me, I'm still alive. I can run. My base is solid r concrete with iron bars at 4 meters high so they would have to bring the whole building down. I can also jump and run if things get too bad. As time goes on I build other towers and kite them to where I have more spikes and barbed wire, and connect the towers with iron bar walkways. Then I'll build a taller, larger keep behind one of the towers for fun base.

No it doesn't mean you are safe, it means your client isn't rendering meshes. The zombies are still there tearing the dirt away in visually occluded space.

I stand corrected. Thank you :D

Madmole, sorry for my annoyance). I want to ask again about the idea of the ladders.

So here is my old suggestion:

0. Two-handed weapons and tools (ax, pick, AK47, bow and more) should be hidden when the moving stairs.

1. Expenses stamina during fast run on the ladder should be 4 times more than when running.

2. If you are run on the ladder stamina to end the character has to stop and wait to recover part of stamina.

3. If the character does not move the ladder, it can be used one-handed weapon such as a pistol, club, dynamite, bombs and other tubular.

4. On the ladders character can not use two-handed weapons such as the bow, crossbow, machine guns, rifles, grenade launchers, drill, chainsaw, iron / steel ax and others.

If you enter these changes it will make the game a moderate realism without compromising gameplay.

I hope it does not take a lot of work, maybe in 19 Alpha?

Over time, you will learn to work with both hands while on ladder. Give it a few falls, few eletrical discharges and it will be k :D

That elevator-track is soothing:

Can't wait to get my little hands on A18! 7 days to die deserves a more creepier elevator music if it ever comes in. I suggest the "Helix" theme.

God I loved that series!!!

The lyrics go: I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose

What I hear: Zombies survive in San Jose

Dont cost wood? So much for MY IMMERSION.

;) ;) ;)

Disclaimer. Im joking and poking fun at people who get bent out of shape due to immersion.

I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable with you poking me with anything. Please get out of my comfort zone.

We could diminish effectiveness probably pretty easy, but why should food be complicated. Its just food, people have better things to do like build forts, gather mats, mine, do quests, loot, trade, etc.

Balance will solve the problem, as discussed ad infinitum a month ago.

Your never going to make food or water hard to get in a game like this, as there are just so many sources all over. Its fine the way it is imo, I don't even know how people manage to starve or dehydrate to death in this game, I don't see how its possible even on 25% loot, you still get more than you ever need. I'd rather you guys focus on other aspects myself. Also I have a big NO to food spoilage myself, I hate that aspect to a game as its just more annoying micromanagement, that doesn't really add anything of value to the game.

Your never going to make food or water hard to get in a game like this, as there are just so many sources all over. Its fine the way it is imo, I don't even know how people manage to starve or dehydrate to death in this game, I don't see how its possible even on 25% loot, you still get more than you ever need. I'd rather you guys focus on other aspects myself. Also I have a big NO to food spoilage myself, I hate that aspect to a game as its just more annoying micromanagement, that doesn't really add anything of value to the game.

Ever tried to play coop with ret...ehm not really right people?

Hey Madmole,

We players have had 600+ pages of asking, demanding, begging, pleading, convincing, bargaining and wishing for stuff in future 7Days to die versions.

If you could snap your fingers and have anything suddenly possible in, say, the next patch.. what would YOU want? (and you can't say a Flawless patch lol)

.50 cal Barrett M107 Sniper rifle? A Whisky Still? Rail road tracks and carts? Beards granting bonus armor ? A key binding that when pressed shows the player's hand rise up and give the middle finger to a target in view as a taunt?

There must be more than a few things on your "Wish list" of "if only there was enough time/money/resources..

Hey Madmole,

We players have had 600+ pages of asking, demanding, begging, pleading, convincing, bargaining and wishing for stuff in future 7Days to die versions.

If you could snap your fingers and have anything suddenly possible in, say, the next patch.. what would YOU want? (and you can't say a Flawless patch lol)

.50 cal Barrett M107 Sniper rifle? A Whisky Still? Rail road tracks and carts? Beards granting bonus armor ? A key binding that when pressed shows the player's hand rise up and give the middle finger to a target in view as a taunt?

There must be more than a few things on your "Wish list" of "if only there was enough time/money/resources..

CCTV was mentioned at one point but its not going to happen now. I was so looking forward to see what was going on at the top of the base while i was underground

.50 cal Barrett M107 Sniper rifle / A key binding that when pressed shows the player's hand rise up and give the middle finger to a target in view as a taunt

Yes please. The first one would compliment the ghillie suit. The second one would compliment literally everything else in COOP.

CCTV was mentioned at one point but its not going to happen now. I was so looking forward to see what was going on at the top of the base while i was underground

And even more curious what is happening in women showers when you have barracks-styled base in COOP while you are on guard duty, right? :D

If food and water aren't hard to get, and weather is no more than an inconvenience, then in what sense is this a survival game anymore? Food spoilage may not be the only way to achieve scarcity, nor the best way, but I will be majorly disappointed if the only way to 'get rekt' is from enemies. :hungry:

If food and water aren't hard to get, and weather is no more than an inconvenience, then in what sense is this a survival game anymore? Food spoilage may not be the only way to achieve scarcity, nor the best way, but I will be majorly disappointed if the only way to 'get rekt' is from enemies. :hungry:

Point is, it gets harder in MP. Everyone wants to hunt. And having to feed multiple people, when you need other perks than slower food degradation is pain as well. You can't have huge farm as well.

Yes please. The first one would compliment the ghillie suit. The second one would compliment literally everything else in COOP.

And even more curious what is happening in women showers when you have barracks-styled base in COOP while you are on guard duty, right? :D

That maybe why the idea was scrapped :smile-new:

We could diminish effectiveness probably pretty easy, but why should food be complicated. Its just food, people have better things to do like build forts, gather mats, mine, do quests, loot, trade, etc.

Balance will solve the problem, as discussed ad infinitum a month ago.

I don't want to bust your balls about spoilage but...

As long as the player can have a surplus I don't see how balance can give food any sort of "urgency". Spoilage wouldn't be any more complex than most of the game's other features like temperature, encumbrance, diseases or crafting and definitely includes far less micromanagement because the player would intuitively learn that food spoils and its duration after a while without even having to look at arbitrary timers and keep producing/looting/hunting/farming, unlike now. And mining, gathering or trading are not by any standards more exciting/complex activities than these - in most cases they just come down to mindless grinding.

Also, there are a lot far less complex games than this one that use spoilage, in order to create that urgency and, in most cases, it barely feels like micromanagement.

Agree - the environment neither poses no real threat to the player, nor does it create any urgency. The features are there, it's just that they only come down to being "inconveniences", as you said.

The way I see it Crater, is that food is only an issue early game. It's the first of the survival "challenges" you overcome and beat into irrelevance. I don't see any way to make food a long term challenge, into the late game, that wouldn't be annoying and/or impossible to balance or scale for both SP and MP.

Weather is probably the next in line challenge that you overcome, leaving enemies to be the only thing that scales as you do and remains a challenge even into late game.

@Madmole Hi Madmole, im following the game with a lot of excitement cause i love it. but the only issue i have just now is with the connection bug. i used to play a lot in public servers before A17 release, after it went live, i cant play multiplayer anymore, just keeps loading in the "connecting to..." screen. Do you know if in A18 that issue is finally being solved? sorry if i bother you with this, but a lot of players cant access to multiplayer, something which is really fun to play.

Archived