Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I got it a bit different. I usually get some concrete early from the building sites, and create a small 6x6 bunker ASAP. The roof of it is my crafting room for foreseeable future. Over time, as I find concrete in PoIs i expand walls, in X shape, around the bunker. They two ramps next to each other, and inside is little space to place electric fences. Once I have this in 24x24 i build few pillars and can create a basis for my house. Then I just slowly improve it over time.

By the way, which Slavic lands?

Also works :D I like building completely from scratch, and big :)

Czech Republic :)

We do have some new gross corpse models coming.

Woo! That's good news; more deco the better, it'll make telling stories with prefab builds even more effective.

Edit: also stuff like blood stains decal, skeletal remains, burnt corpses, more writing options (different letter sizes, hand writing fonts, etc. Maybe a borderless overlay "sign" with rich text options) for making custom business signs and scrawled out warnings to imposing warnings to visitors. Now I'm just wish-listing, but things that came to mind while designer the Asylum we did recently.

I said it discouraged builders from diversifying. The distinction is really significant.

I agree that strength is the best place for the harvesting perks. My personal solution is not to move the STR harvesting perks, or remove them, but to give each attribute a perk(s) that also helps with the process of building somehow to balance out the harvesting perks. Something like better SI, less heat generation, stronger walls, new defenses with some special gimmick, faster construction.

I apologize to you then. I totally misinterpreted your post. My bad. I thought you were arguing for removing harvesting from STR.

Man, finally caught up with the thread (granted I cheat and only read dev replies).

There constructive feedback, and then there rude entitle jerks. Madmole, I'm surprise you kept your sanity.

regarding the demo zombie, I assume he is tanky, but if you shoot the flashing explosive on him, you blew him up.

And with bandit in the work, what are your thought on Land of the dead style zombie?

LOTDAUGbigdaddy.thumb.jpg.cf22ea12f6e755fb2f19dc698374dca6.jpg

random spawn in higher gs, maybe soldier or bandit zombie with gun (short burst), lumber jack zombie with axe, or biker zombie with sledge hammer or club. Or would this be too much work for the team?

I would like to see that, so you could maybe heal faster and debuff stuff quicker by "resting". I could still craft some things while I heal up. IMO we'd build a framework that lets actors use objects. We have third person functional now (but won't enable it yet) so we can improve third person animations easily.

I can see a chair becoming one of those things everybody starts carrying around with them.

@Madmole I just wanted to say, thank you for interacting with the community as much as you do. No, I mean really thank you. I know you read a lot of ♥♥♥♥, bitching etc. from the players on a daily and yet you still choose to interact with us after all these years.

I wish all developers were like that. On behalf of the entire community, thank you Joel! Lots of us really do appreciate it. This is still partly the reason I dish out money for others that cannot afford this game.

Long live "The Fun Pimps". Lets hope no matter how large TFP gets, hopefully they will always keep in such close contact with there players! Thank you Joel and everyone else at TFP. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

One of those folding chairs, maybe it would be better to make Bedrolls give a better buff/heal. It would be more realistic

Lol, and an umbrella.

I’ve got my bandages, a med kit, food, water, a club, a pistol, ammo, and an axe. I’m all set to survive today and build up my resources.

Oh wait... forgot my chair.

Priceless.

Lol, and an umbrella.

I’ve got my bandages, a med kit, food, water, a club, a pistol, ammo, and an axe. I’m all set to survive today and build up my resources.

Oh wait... forgot my chair.

Priceless.

You forgot the radio madmole was talking about a couple of weeks ago. Music should give a "inspired buff" +5% exp gain.

I can't wait to see A18... No i'm serious, give me early access before I go crazy...or at least that video you're talking about.

Yeah, lets riot! bring out the torches and pitchforks! We demand alpha 18!!!

Man, finally caught up with the thread (granted I cheat and only read dev replies).

There constructive feedback, and then there rude entitle jerks. Madmole, I'm surprise you kept your sanity.

regarding the demo zombie, I assume he is tanky, but if you shoot the flashing explosive on him, you blew him up.

And with bandit in the work, what are your thought on Land of the dead style zombie?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28677[/ATTACH]

random spawn in higher gs, maybe soldier or bandit zombie with gun (short burst), lumber jack zombie with axe, or biker zombie with sledge hammer or club. Or would this be too much work for the team?

Its pretty easy to do, but we're not sure we want the lore where they are still that smart. Perhaps the ferals could, or we make mutated radiated bandits that are still human that could.

When we can attach a chain to a gun safe, and to the 4x4, and pull that puppy straight out of a POI to drag down the street...then the looting aspect of the game will be complete.

When we can use that same towed safe to take out zombies, by it whipping out in an arc during a high speed turn, the open terrain zombie-killing aspect will be complete.

It feels like these are getting closer to being possible.

Being a "Perception" based player, I can't begin to say how happy I am to see "Lock Picks" and the skills being added. This was one of the "Skyrim" features I MOST wanted see TFP give their own style to in 7D2D.

Yes its pretty cool, nice and quiet, you don't usually have to worry about a zombie coming up behind you.

When we can attach a chain to a gun safe, and to the 4x4, and pull that puppy straight out of a POI to drag down the street...then the looting aspect of the game will be complete.

When we can use that same towed safe to take out zombies, by it whipping out in an arc during a high speed turn, the open terrain zombie-killing aspect will be complete.

It feels like these are getting closer to being possible.

Fast and the furious 7 days to die.

Its pretty easy to do, but we're not sure we want the lore where they are still that smart. Perhaps the ferals could, or we make mutated radiated bandits that are still human that could.

Smart zombies are the worst. Dumb, slow, decayed zombies, Fast and a little smarter Infected (Not yet in decomposition), and may i suggest a little less glow in radiated zombies.

"Do radioactive things glow in the dark?

The short answer to your question is "no," radioactive things do not glow in the dark - not by themselves anyway. Radiation emitted by radioactive materials is not visible to the human eye. However, there are ways to"convert" this invisible energy to visible light. Many substances will emit visible light if "stimulated" by the ionizing radiation from radioactive material. These materials are known as "fluors" or "scintilators." So, by mixing some radioactive material with such a fluor, you can make a substance that glows. This kind of material has been used in things like the faces of clocks, watches, and instruments on ships and airplanes to make them visible in the dark. This is why most people think of glowing things when they think of radioactive materials.

It is also possible to "trick" radioactive material into creating visible light. This is called Cherenkov radiation. This happens when the radiation from the radioactive material goes into a material such as glass or water. Because the speed of light in this material is relatively slow (compared to the maximum speed of light in a vacuum), the radiation is actually traveling faster than light can travel in that material, and so it gives off light as it slows down. But to actually see this glow, it usually takes something which is very radioactive, such as the internal parts of a nuclear reactor. Weak Cherenkov light can be made from smaller amounts of radioactivity. Usually, sensitive devices have to be used to detect it."

Author:

Keith Welch, Radialogical Controls Group

https://education.jlab.org/qa/radglow_02.html

Yea, i'm happy this is fixed. Previously, you had to place down plates to cover those 'gaps'.

So it looks like the planter box is a player-placed block, with the 'dynamic components' tech to only draw the wooden sidewalls on the perimeter when there are multiple adjacent blocks. It looks great, and gardeners are going to be really happy.

But @madmole will it, as some are inferring, be a way to finally make terrain flush with walls that go into the ground? How do these planters look when they're placed up against 'real' terrain blocks?

So it looks like the planter box is a player-placed block, with the 'dynamic components' tech to only draw the wooden sidewalls on the perimeter when there are multiple adjacent blocks. It looks great, and gardeners are going to be really happy.

But @madmole will it, as some are inferring, be a way to finally make terrain flush with walls that go into the ground? How do these planters look when they're placed up against 'real' terrain blocks?

They aren’t placed blocks. They are “upgraded” dirt blocks formed by using the hoe. They don’t even cost any wood.

They aren’t placed blocks. They are “upgraded” dirt blocks formed by using the hoe. They don’t even cost any wood.

Dont cost wood? So much for MY IMMERSION.

;) ;) ;)

Disclaimer. Im joking and poking fun at people who get bent out of shape due to immersion.

Dont cost wood? So much for MY IMMERSION.

;) ;) ;)

Disclaimer. Im joking and poking fun at people who get bent out of shape due to immersion.

was gonna do the same thing :) ... thanks for beating me there... and for those who are curious... the wood is like santa as fat as he is... how does he fit in a small chimneys? :)

he just simply does!

They look like wood blocks with a top texture of dirt. So does this means we can finally add the ground textures onto normal blocks as well in A18 I wonder?

was gonna do the same thing :) ... thanks for beating me there... and for those who are curious... the wood is like santa as fat as he is... how does he fit in a small chimneys? :)

he just simply does!

Yea, you know, it seems the immersion warriors all have their own ideas on what is immersive and realistic and what is not. I just reached my limit. A18 is forever known as the immersion breaking alpha in my book.

I can punch zombies in the face -- Totally immersive and realistic

I can carry around 200 tons of perfectly square concrete blocks -- Totally immersive and realistic

I can, using only a wrench, break apart a car in 1 minute and get usefull parts such as engines and gas --- Totally immersive and realistic

You know what though... upgrading a block from dirt to wood, without wood, using a garden hoe - KILLS MY IMMERSION.

Archived