Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I don't want to bust your balls about spoilage but...

As long as the player can have a surplus I don't see how balance can give food any sort of "urgency". Spoilage wouldn't be any more complex than most of the game's other features like temperature, encumbrance, diseases or crafting and definitely includes far less micromanagement because the player would intuitively learn that food spoils and its duration after a while without even having to look at arbitrary timers and keep producing/looting/hunting/farming, unlike now. And mining, gathering or trading are not by any standards more exciting/complex activities than these - in most cases they just come down to mindless grinding.

Also, there are a lot far less complex games than this one that use spoilage, in order to create that urgency and, in most cases, it barely feels like micromanagement.

Agree - the environment neither poses no real threat to the player, nor does it create any urgency. The features are there, it's just that they only come down to being "inconveniences", as you said.

It will solve it from our standpoint. Its NOT our goal to make food a constant thorn in your side or make starvation a thing. Its an early game problem as it should be. At a certain point in progression players want to quest and travel to find new locations, why should they be tied to a farm and hunting/scavenging constantly? I'd rather be after that legendary Q6 special weapon and finding more books, doing quests and buying that shiny gyro at the trader for 100k than be chasing meat for hours every play session.

@Madmole Hi Madmole, im following the game with a lot of excitement cause i love it. but the only issue i have just now is with the connection bug. i used to play a lot in public servers before A17 release, after it went live, i cant play multiplayer anymore, just keeps loading in the "connecting to..." screen. Do you know if in A18 that issue is finally being solved? sorry if i bother you with this, but a lot of players cant access to multiplayer, something which is really fun to play.

I have no idea, sorry. Report this in the bugs section or wait for A18.

It will solve it from our standpoint. Its NOT our goal to make food a constant thorn in your side or make starvation a thing. Its an early game problem as it should be. At a certain point in progression players want to quest and travel to find new locations, why should they be tied to a farm and hunting/scavenging constantly? I'd rather be after that legendary Q6 special weapon and finding more books, doing quests and buying that shiny gyro at the trader for 100k than be chasing meat for hours every play session.

Yea as much as i like the theory of making things harder with spoilage id rather a fun challenge instead, not having to hunt or farm every single day, or die.

+1, yes, I hope this fixed the terrain blocks not connecting to concrete blocks! Or I hope they will fix it someday..

Here are a few examples with dirt and concrete:

BTtU7O5.png

GVDRWlL.png

djyryEm.png

Thanks, yes that would be better for sure.

Also, question to anyone who knows, so MM doesn't have to answer for probably 10 000th time. I probably missed the whole info about Behemoth. Was he scrapped for good?

Behemoth is in the game, it gets spawned whenever you wrench a mine.

Alpha never. What is so OP about ladders that you would have us invest time into making them feel gimped? I like to mine on ladders and work on my tunnel out of a mine while on a ladder (I did down first and worry about how to get out later) so all your doing is adding code for nearly never realized movement situations (who runs out of stamina on a ladder?) and we don't have a holster feature so how do you explain the characters gun not working while on a ladder?

Its a building game and working off a ladder is realistic enough, I've done it 100's of times IRL.

I think they're referring to the fact you can shoot the zombies from an angle as they simply destroy your ladders rather than your hatchdoors but I mean you can also just put an angled centered window bars on either side of a door and wedge ramps to fit it and easily shoot the zombies at your front door as they pile onto it all the same.

The advanced building placements which makes that easily achievable could be communicated ingame a little better imo.

Alpha never. What is so OP about ladders that you would have us invest time into making them feel gimped? I like to mine on ladders and work on my tunnel out of a mine while on a ladder (I did down first and worry about how to get out later) so all your doing is adding code for nearly never realized movement situations (who runs out of stamina on a ladder?) and we don't have a holster feature so how do you explain the characters gun not working while on a ladder?

Its a building game and working off a ladder is realistic enough, I've done it 100's of times IRL.

If we don’t have a holster, where are the weapons and tools going when the character sits on the transport? ) The same could be done on the ladders ... at least for a two-handed weapon)

Especially during the construction you can use frames, that all players put on themselves in a jump, it works great, why use ladders for this? )

I do not like the fact that I can climb the ladders and use a bow, crossbow or ak47. What limbs at the time of shooting I hold on to the ladder? ))

^^ looks like I misunderstood the terrain block 'fix'. Well, I still hope it's on the radar at some point cause as a builder myself, it's one of the most annoying details ingame.

Yeah its sad these devs can't make voxels look as nice as the leader of the voxel industry.

maxresdefault.jpg

Give us some more dirt on A18 :)

- - - Updated - - -

Is he in danger of being scrapped for A18?

No but Faatal is busy doing other stuff like occlusion which every player can enjoy, the late game bad boy will only be seen by the 2% audience who make it to a high game stage, so its just priorities.

7 Days has basically stopped being a survival game. The new title should be "7 Days to Die: The be slightly inconvenienced at times Horde Crafting Game"

In don't starve, a game with food spoilage, as you establish yourself having food is much less of an issue as not being killed by creatures or charlie (the night monster) or the weather itself is. Especially since the game has permadeath if you havent found or made something that grants a means to respawn after death.

Yeah its sad these devs can't make voxels look as nice as the leader of the voxel industry.

maxresdefault.jpg

No need to be sarcastic at all. It was more an answer to Kingslayer's post, no idea why you bring up a Minecraft/other voxel game picture up. I was talking about the terrain blocks not fitting with the actual dirt. Not the textures.

I do not like the fact that I can climb the ladders and use a bow, crossbow or ak47. What limbs at the time of shooting I hold on to the ladder? ))

Then use some self control, we're not gimping ladders because you can't control yourself. I self impose role play rules on characters in games all the time. Can I cheese and win, yes, but that breaks the role play so you don't do it.

Same goes for you people wan't spoilage. Just cook up what you can fill up on right now and throw the rest in the trash. You get what you want and average players who don't want that get what they want. The game code does NOT need to force these things on players for it to be enjoyable and possible for the players who do want it.

If we don’t have a holster, where are the weapons and tools going when the character sits on the transport? ) The same could be done on the ladders ... at least for a two-handed weapon)

Especially during the construction you can use frames, that all players put on themselves in a jump, it works great, why use ladders for this? )

I think this could be answered best by this isnt a hyper realistic survival sim like The Long Dark or another such game. At its very core the game has very clear minecraft DNA in it which isnt a bad thing as long as the game has its own identity which it does. At a certain point you gotta realize that you are also carrying several large power tools, a whole truck, about 30 tons of wood, steel, and stone at any given time, 15+ filled mason jars and like a hundred empty ones, and you're saying but why am I able to shoot the gun on a ladder though.

No need to be sarcastic at all. It was more an answer to Kingslayer's post, no idea why you bring up a Minecraft/other voxel game picture up. I was talking about the terrain blocks not fitting with the actual dirt. Not the textures.

Oh there is a need to be sarcastic if I'm going to swallow all these turds I need to pump a few out one in a while :) If your going to cry about how the terrain looks, look at minecrafts terrain and tell me how bad ours is again with a straight face. I'm not talking about textures either, I'm talking about geometry.

Anyhow I sent kingslayers pics to our voxel programmer, but IMO if it were that easy it would have been done already. We'll see what he says. The other issue is wrecking the density work level designers have done, so its not always an easy fix, or the fix can have implications.

What might be possible is a density tool, because I know thats how the level designers fix it, is they raise the density to 1.0. If those blocks were 1.0 it might look good.

As the owner of a dedicated server, I am curious if there are any A18 or A19 plans to make server management any easier in the works? Server on the fly adjustments, moderation tools to help with hackers more quickly, Auto chunk respawn where no users have made bases, Car respawns - I currently fly around in Admin mode and place vehicles where I feel they make sense. Chunk repair tools that auto attempt to fix mesh or other chunk issues?

As an aside, I have personally added chests around the world at the bottom of lakes, mountain tops, hidden in areas of POIs in random places with loot appropriate for the biome/POI. I wonder if this could be done automatically at some point down the road?

Hmmm...that carrying-a-whole-truck-worth-of-stuff always kind of bothered me, in all truth. I mean, the game makes up for it and you can forgive these kinds of immersion-breaking things, because let's face it, otherwise the game would be horrendously tedious and slow. However, it would be interesting to combine 7 days with something like Factorio, with it's automation.

So instead of having to carry it all, automate the world around your base for it.

When you don't have conveyor belts closeby, then trucks and things could be useful, but very costly in gas.

Mods, here's a request for you.

Oh there is a need to be sarcastic if I'm going to swallow all these turds I need to pump a few out one in a while :) If your going to cry about how the terrain looks, look at minecrafts terrain and tell me how bad ours is again with a straight face. I'm not talking about textures either, I'm talking about geometry.

To be a little fair, even with 32x32 textures like say Dokucraft or even the faithful hd vanilla recreation textures in double the original size, minecraft's terrain can look fantastic.Put shaderpacks on top of that using optifine and its 10/10 if your computer has enough ram to handle em.

Anyhow I sent kingslayers pics to our voxel programmer, but IMO if it were that easy it would have been done already. We'll see what he says. The other issue is wrecking the density work level designers have done, so its not always an easy fix, or the fix can have implications.

What might be possible is a density tool, because I know thats how the level designers fix it, is they raise the density to 1.0. If those blocks were 1.0 it might look good.

How will we know, we haven’t gotten our hands on A18 yet?

Jk, I just want to play A18

I simply can't play Minecraft. In all truth, I never saw the appeal to it. 7 Days has heaps of appeal in the base building aspect of the game because the setup means a lot to the game (tactics, defense, security).

My post wasn't meant to be salty, just saying my opinion. I love the quality from A17. You guys took a huge step and getting better each Alpha. That you implement my post as 'crying' is pretty disappointing. I'm not saying this needs to be fixed immediately but it would be nice if it has some attention in further updates (A19, gold) because it annoys me from time to time.

If it doesn't change, it's fine as well. I enjoy you guys hard work and keep progessing so this little detail won't stop me playing.

Hi, Madmole, consult

* Will we have new decorations? on the roads? and within the pois?

* What happened with alchemy? are there plans for it?

* Bosses can already be seen on the A18? there are videos and concepts for the Alpha 16 about that, his name was "Behemoth" and we can see it in A18? and the radiative giant green boar?

My post wasn't meant to be salty, just saying my opinion. I love the quality from A17. You guys took a huge step and getting better each Alpha. That you implement my post as 'crying' is pretty disappointing. I'm not saying this needs to be fixed immediately but it would be nice if it has some attention in further updates (A19, gold) because it annoys me from time to time.

If it doesn't change, it's fine as well. I enjoy you guys hard work and keep progessing so this little detail won't stop me playing.

playing devils advocate here madmole IS like a dudebro oblivion modder that did a kickstarter in 2013 to make minecraft with more zombies and less diamonds. So I personally wouldn't get so uppity at some minor sass on a forum he still actively replies to and literally like ten minutes ago took some constructive criticism and sent it to a member on his team to look at and get feedback on.

You wont see Tim Sweeny, Mr John Epic himself personally reply to r/FortNite concerns about bugs or anything regarding the STW locker or the like.

I meant bolts. Arrows don't have that.

Can they? Fire arrows are functionally useless - they may do additional damage, but they're literally impossible to aim since the smoke coming off of them blocks everything in front of you. Realistic? Maybe, but they were only used for actually causing structure damage and possibly terrifying horses in large formations - aiming wasn't as critical.

playing devils advocate here madmole IS like a dudebro oblivion modder that did a kickstarter in 2013 to make minecraft with more zombies and less diamonds. So I personally wouldn't get so uppity at some minor sass on a forum he still actively replies to and literally like ten minutes ago took some constructive criticism and sent it to a member on his team to look at and get feedback on.

You wont see Tim Sweeny, Mr John Epic himself personally reply to r/FortNite concerns about bugs or anything regarding the STW locker or the like.

How am I uppity? I'll keep my mouth shut cause it's not my intention to start a war here, i'm just being misunderstood I guess. English is not my native language so sorry about that. I'm glad someone is going to take a look at it. I really appriciate that.

Archived