Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Anyhow I sent kingslayers pics to our voxel programmer, but IMO if it were that easy it would have been done already. We'll see what he says. The other issue is wrecking the density work level designers have done, so its not always an easy fix, or the fix can have implications.

Wait, wut?

I'm very surprised that's not how it is already. I thought the current look was an aesthetic design choice. It would be understandable if there are technical limitations in the way but it would also solve quite a few problems with ramps, bridges and walls.

That definitely gets a +1 from me if you can do it.

Wait, wut?

I'm very surprised that's not how it is already. I thought the current look was an aesthetic design choice. It would be understandable if there are technical limitations in the way but it would also solve quite a few problems with ramps, bridges and walls.

That definitely gets a +1 from me if you can do it.

Absolutely; when doing builds you have this gap that, to some, sticks out like a sore thumb.

Not to speak for anyone, but I think if folks here are pointing at the smaller annoyances like this, I would take it as a credit to the game. If, among all the other work-in-progress items and full out placeholder systems waiting to be replaced, someone would focus on a aesthetic thing like that... I say you're doing well overall.

+1 here too, I'm certain many vocal and non-vocal OCD players will be grateful for any improvement that could be done to dynamically shape the voxels. I also look forward to the conversation about water in later alphas when its more of a possibility :p

I tend to dig either a trench to fill it with spikes around my fortified house or just cover that kinda terrain mismatch ugliness up with blocks. It could be a little smoother if possible. But I still remember where just about everything was lumpy cubes.

I think this could be answered best by this isnt a hyper realistic survival sim like The Long Dark or another such game. At its very core the game has very clear minecraft DNA in it which isnt a bad thing as long as the game has its own identity which it does. At a certain point you gotta realize that you are also carrying several large power tools, a whole truck, about 30 tons of wood, steel, and stone at any given time, 15+ filled mason jars and like a hundred empty ones, and you're saying but why am I able to shoot the gun on a ladder though.

I still wanted to share the construction and fighting with zombies in the game. What is good for building is bad for the feeling of battle )

I still wanted to share the construction and fighting with zombies in the game. What is good for building is bad for the feeling of battle )

Just assume you have clipped yourself to the ladder with a carabiner and so have both hands free to shoot. Feels good to me to shoot zombies from halfway up a ladder....

mini-carabiner-flavor--5-3-12.jpg

Plot Hole Averted

Continuity Preserved

Just assume you have clipped yourself to the ladder with a carabiner and so have both hands free to shoot. Feels good to me to shoot zombies from halfway up a ladder....

>fighting ON a ladder

>not sealing off the top with a hatch every time to attack from an angle

>not using hatches to make every door a chokepoint in a dungeon

>not layering your doors with hatches to make 9 layers of iron as your front door

As the owner of a dedicated server, I am curious if there are any A18 or A19 plans to make server management any easier in the works? Server on the fly adjustments, moderation tools to help with hackers more quickly, Auto chunk respawn where no users have made bases, Car respawns - I currently fly around in Admin mode and place vehicles where I feel they make sense. Chunk repair tools that auto attempt to fix mesh or other chunk issues?

As an aside, I have personally added chests around the world at the bottom of lakes, mountain tops, hidden in areas of POIs in random places with loot appropriate for the biome/POI. I wonder if this could be done automatically at some point down the road?

Possibly.

To be a little fair, even with 32x32 textures like say Dokucraft or even the faithful hd vanilla recreation textures in double the original size, minecraft's terrain can look fantastic.Put shaderpacks on top of that using optifine and its 10/10 if your computer has enough ram to handle em.

No, it can't. It might look ok from a birdseye view but up close, a blocky terrain is a blocky terrain.

I simply can't play Minecraft. In all truth, I never saw the appeal to it. 7 Days has heaps of appeal in the base building aspect of the game because the setup means a lot to the game (tactics, defense, security).

Its kind of mindless fun building and getting creative. Its like legos meet an erector set (toys I had growing up) so its fun to tinker around in once you get into it, or build stuff. Like simulating an arch with cubes etc. The survival aspects are ok for little kids and johnny newcomes to games.

No, it can't. It might look ok from a birdseye view but up close, a blocky terrain is a blocky terrain.

613767001_bigthink.JPG.8ae4b440a49034211108ea921972769b.JPG

thunk emoji

I think you forget that minecraft is also a highly modifiable platform. There IS actually a survival sim mod for it where it (kinda annoyingly so imo so I dont use it) totally overhauls every level of the survival mechanics to be a lot rougher in general.

Anyhow I sent kingslayers pics to our voxel programmer, but IMO if it were that easy it would have been done already. We'll see what he says. The other issue is wrecking the density work level designers have done, so its not always an easy fix, or the fix can have implications.

if you were able to resolve this, it could possibly be my most anticipated improvement to the game since i started in A12.

disclaimer: i put world generation, performance and appearance as my top metric in a game. when the world looks good and acts properly, i can appreciate everything that is added to it that much more. i would rather run around an empty world that looks amazing than to fight behemoths and bandits and have rocket launchers and machine guns in a half-rendered, swamp of a world (no inference to the current game). i just find the game elements dont show their intended potential when they are fighting with the existing world and terrain (ie: vehicles, gardens, etc).

What I would like to see are new blocks for building such as a arch for an inner corner and additional clean looking textures so that a base also looks new and shiny.

- - - Updated - - -

For stealth gameplay.

To not lug around a pickaxe, to not have to perk into mining, to role play, I don't want to wake up the radiated ferals that are outside. If we allow it in PVP it will be a whole new concept there.

Hello Madmole

it's been a while since we spoke, I'm busy with my work as a musician.

I love the American fist for body wrestling, on twitter I see all the updates and everything is taking a beautiful color...

I would love to see the C4 in action, please I ask.

a hug friend

To not lug around a pickaxe, to not have to perk into mining, to role play, I don't want to wake up the radiated ferals that are outside. If we allow it in PVP it will be a whole new concept there.

even for pve it would be something different. right now, i either smash something with a sledge or fire a shotgun in front of the door so that i wake everyone and i dont get too many surprises upon entering

Oh there is a need to be sarcastic if I'm going to swallow all these turds I need to pump a few out one in a while :) If your going to cry about how the terrain looks, look at minecrafts terrain and tell me how bad ours is again with a straight face. I'm not talking about textures either, I'm talking about geometry.

What might be possible is a density tool, because I know thats how the level designers fix it, is they raise the density to 1.0. If those blocks were 1.0 it might look good.

Wow, I'm honored, Madmole :)

Saying Minecraft graphics is bad, is like saying Mario's graphics is bad. They both are not meant to be realistic and are both beautiful in their own way.

One a side note, there are many mods that enhance textures, lighting and shading for Minecraft and make it look incredible. Also Microsoft is working on the so called "super duper graphics pack", which is supposed to do just that.

I do not like the fact that I can climb the ladders and use a bow, crossbow or ak47. What limbs at the time of shooting I hold on to the ladder? ))

You hook you arm thru the rung of the ladder and use the crook of your elbow to stabilize yourself just like you do in real life when you are on a ladder and need both hands free.

You hook you arm thru the rung of the ladder and use the crook of your elbow to stabilize yourself just like you do in real life when you are on a ladder and need both hands free.

You can, with a little effort and a lot of courage, hook your legs around a ladder or lean into it to free your hands. Not advised but possible.

I do not like the fact that I can climb the ladders and use a bow, crossbow or ak47. What limbs at the time of shooting I hold on to the ladder? ))

And the fact that you carry 1000 buckets of wet concrete, 3000 chunks of wood, and a ton of scrap iron (only to name the obvious few) while you climb that ladder...seems legit...:nod:

DaVega will need tissues when he reads this. :)

He cries pebbles mostly. A tin bucket for them to fall in is enough usually. The clunk sounds tho ...

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Devs.

Why do we not get door knobs from wrenching house doors? :)

Not long ago MM tweeted a book cover called Wasteland Treasures. If I am not wrong, brass will be available to harvest even from doors. Or only lamps and sinks. Anyone know more ?

He cries pebbles mostly. A tin bucket for them to fall in is enough usually. The clunk sounds tho ...

- - - Updated - - -

Not long ago MM tweeted a book cover called Wasteland Treasures. If I am not wrong, brass will be available to harvest even from doors. Or only lamps and sinks. Anyone know more ?

It's in the very first post of this thread. :)

Archived