madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

but, but, BEER is Nectar of the Gods!

:D

I'm surprised they didn't add pemmican yet.

<recipe name="foodPemmican" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="foodMeat" count="5"/>

<ingredient name="foodAnimaFat" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodHoney" count="1"/>

</recipe>

My take on Pemmican. Mostly fat, a little meat and honey for flavor.

Burrito Recipe:

<recipe name="foodBurrito" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingGrill" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="foodRawMeat" count="5"/>

<ingredient name="foodCropPotato" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCanChili" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCropCorn" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCornMeal" count="3"/>

</recipe>

You need to add a separate tortilla recipe to have some reason to use corn.

THEN you make the burrito, or enchiladas etc.

From SS (Just Survive, Somehow) by @mjrice

<recipe name="Tortillas" count="2" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot">

<ingredient name="foodCornMeal" count="2"/> <!-- 10 corn plants = 2 tortillas -->

<ingredient name="drinkJarBoiledWater" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="resourceAnimalFat" count="1"/>

</recipe>

I think it only applies to the graphical rendering of voxels, but zombies and other systems should remain functional.

I doubt that. Almost universally, something that is not rendered is non-functional. Workstations get around this because they are not interacting with the world - counters are easy to progress even if the parent object is not rendered. It is usually a different story with actors that need to engage with the world itself. Deep minning is already safe past 40m but this is currently due to zed pathing as far as I am aware - they will not path more than 40 m - and therefore can change any time the pathing changes.

I could be wrong of course. I am sure someone will correct me :D

To get their xp? I kill everything I see, to make the world a better post apocalypse.

Now if there was a number that represented all the zombies remaining on the map, 10,000... 100,000... any number. Then I would be there hacking and slashing with you.

Currently, gaining xp with no useable loot or resources is like sacrificing yourself to the GameStage gods.

You need to add a separate tortilla recipe to have some reason to use corn.

THEN you make the burrito, or enchiladas etc.

From SS (Just Survive, Somehow) by @mjrice

<recipe name="Tortillas" count="2" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot">

<ingredient name="foodCornMeal" count="2"/> <!-- 10 corn plants = 2 tortillas -->

<ingredient name="drinkJarBoiledWater" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="resourceAnimalFat" count="1"/>

</recipe>

Yeah, that's how I would prefer to do it, but I was keeping it simple because that seems to be the trend.

Will we be able to sit in the chairs in A20? My feet are getting tired of standing all the time except for when I'm driving. I want to sit down on my back deck and drink a beer and watch the blood moon rise and maybe snipe a zombie or two at the same time. More stability from shooting from the sitting position, but a bit wobbly from the beer....hmmm

Meh. The garage door was in the game long before the 4x4 so...

Minor issue really. If they dont add a 5 wide door for the 4x4 a modder will eventually (if they havent already)

new garage door already exist, you can find it in creative menu

Yes, to me I get that feeling I had IRL going from rags to riches all over again by turning an impossible situation into a life of luxury by buidling an epic fort with non functional nor needed luxuries. Like building pools and fancy fireplaces and tables / chairs, carpets, granite countertops on nice cupboards, fancy beds, etc just is a big finger to the zombie apocalypse that feels rewarding later game. I'm not just surviving, I'm thriving.

I'm pushing to get collectable objects in instead of all this nonsense crafting for 19+. Hold R for a radial menu, then get a take timer on coffee pots, microwaves, fridges etc. If you want a fancy bar with red barstools, you find them in the wasteland and collect them one by one. The timer is so you can't just delete a level designer barricade in 3 seconds or grab a couch for instant cover.

In fallout 4 I built a highway mega base that had modded elevators to get to it, and it had all the neon lights of a bar, swimming pool, restrooms showers, dance floor etc. It was like 100 hours down the toilet but it was cool AF. I used the OCD decorator mod where you collect the actual pieces and can place them as statics so they don't fall over etc. I think it felt rewarding collecting stuff versus just crafting everything. I wanted nice shiny plates so I had to find them most plates in the game were filthy. I feel like 7 days players could have a feather in their cap for building a cooler base this way and expose more models for use if they were collected decorations rather than just craft them.

Looting decorative stuff would be just perfect! It would add a sense of accomplishment to a base, more than just put a few blocks down. But the first issue still stands - We can't really make a big base as of now, where it would fit perfectly :( It is nice to be able to live fancy. Even in post-apo. Well, not even in post-apo. Especially in post-apo.

I mean: do we really need ovens, fridges, coolers?, but then again, when NPCs are a thing, we DO need those things for the sake of cohesion/coherence/colagen/cohort/etc.

Well, we still do need them as decorational blocks that are in POIs and to make base feel more like home.

That spelling has a different connotation, unless you meant...

Oh.

Ohhhh.

Real bases have curves, not... *cough*

That cheapens the base for me. It is a cheap tactic IMHO to put all of your crap in a magically invulnerable location just because you are 50 feet away in a sea of spikes. I want them combined no matter how much more difficult that makes my defense.

That is just me of course - not saying anyone else should operate under such a silly restriction :D

Another reason for having a big nice base that feels like home :)

Why would people think we are desperate to slow the game down further to give 2000 hour guys a challenge? Our goal with A18 is a smooth landing with potato's rejoicing, not the fps is still in the ♥♥♥♥ter.

Wut. Not even close to having 2K hours to be honest, but anyone with basic FPS skills can just walk into any big city on Day 1 with a wooden bow and be perfectly fine, especially with vanilla settings - and that seems off to me. But hey, I guess a mean no is as good an answer as any, i'll just take it for what it is, no biggie.

As a side note, you seem kinda edgy about the fact people here discuss the same stuff over and over again... but then again, absolutely nothing besides you posting stuff is paving the way for interesting discussions (pics, videos, art concepts...). Can't be complaining about pages and pages of the same stuff when there hasn't been any bone thrown at us for months.

No offense taken by the way, I understand some posters can get at you especially when they just won't give up with their ideas even once you explain how it's not doable or a bad design. But at the end of the day, even though you're working your ass off, some of us kill time by reading all the content this thread has to offer and... it falls short quickly.

Wut. Not even close to having 2K hours to be honest, but anyone with basic FPS skills can just walk into any big city on Day 1 with a wooden bow and be perfectly fine, especially with vanilla settings - and that seems off to me. But hey, I guess a mean no is as good an answer as any, i'll just take it for what it is, no biggie.

As a side note, you seem kinda edgy about the fact people here discuss the same stuff over and over again... but then again, absolutely nothing besides you posting stuff is paving the way for interesting discussions (pics, videos, art concepts...). Can't be complaining about pages and pages of the same stuff when there hasn't been any bone thrown at us for months.

No offense taken by the way, I understand some posters can get at you especially when they just won't give up with their ideas even once you explain how it's not doable or a bad design. But at the end of the day, even though you're working your ass off, some of us kill time by reading all the content this thread has to offer and... it falls short quickly.

try https://twitter.com/joelhuenink

Looting decorative stuff would be just perfect! It would add a sense of accomplishment to a base, more than just put a few blocks down. But the first issue still stands - We can't really make a big base as of now, where it would fit perfectly :( It is nice to be able to live fancy. Even in post-apo. Well, not even in post-apo. Especially in post-apo.

Well, we still do need them as decorational blocks that are in POIs and to make base feel more like home.

Real bases have curves, not... *cough*

Another reason for having a big nice base that feels like home :)

https://ibb.co/ZXckCMr

I think my base is both defendable AND cozy

aaaah, the post apocalypse suburban life...

also, I agree that finding unique decoration items for your base in the PoI would be pretty sweet.

https://ibb.co/ZXckCMr

I think my base is both defendable AND cozy

aaaah, the post apocalypse suburban life...

also, I agree that finding unique decoration items for your base in the PoI would be pretty sweet.

It is nice, tho kinda small for me. Even in singleplayer :( But i like your style, looks really well thought!

On side note, i am going to pay you 5000 dukes if you show me how to land that stupid gyro on such small spot :D

Hence the problem.

If I want to build then be a strength guy. That is a bad answer. What is 'fitting' is not really that important and clearly you dont care what is fitting either from the comments that you have posted here many times. Is is bad from a game play perspective.

Here is the thing, across ANY character I make building is a core element of that character. It is a massive element of the game and one of the things that most players are going to be actively engaged in with almost any build. However, I cannot specialize in raged combat AND be an effective builder. I am going to need to spec into close range combat styles or spread myself out. Building - almost the entire non combat portion of the game - being directly tied to one specific combat style is not very conducive to being able to specialize or make your toon unique.

Guiding my toon that direction because I want to participate in the building aspect in a meaningful way is the exact opposite of allowing us to spec how we want. With this attitude, all builders are going to be melee/shotgun builds or spread out.

Tell me - how does marrying a specific combat style to a massive non combat part of the game improve game play? How does that improve character progression? IMHO, it harms both substantially.

Also, this is one of the reasons why I think that using a fallout like perk category system is a really bad idea for this game - they are not very similar. Rather than categories like strength, perception and the like there should be categories like melee, ranged, survival etc. Ones that can be more customized to deal with the fact that 7 Days is more than killing the bad guy but is also about TD, looting and crafting.

All the more reason why I say stuff like miner 69'er, motherload and simmlar perks need to be in a general perk pool, that requires x amount of stat points bought across ALL stats to unlock or even a level based unlock a fairly low one, this way no matter what your main stat is, you can get some of that without having to gimp your build for it. For me block damage is very important as you generally have to bust down things to get at the loot. I probally spend more time destroying blocks than I do killing zombies in most games, same with building, so I agree, forcing you to go str to be good at it is kinda stupid when a large portion of the game is based around it, both destroying blocks and building things.

All the more reason why I say stuff like miner 69'er, motherload and simmlar perks need to be in a general perk pool, that requires x amount of stat points bought across ALL stats to unlock or even a level based unlock a fairly low one, this way no matter what your main stat is, you can get some of that without having to gimp your build for it. For me block damage is very important as you generally have to bust down things to get at the loot. I probally spend more time destroying blocks than I do killing zombies in most games, same with building, so I agree, forcing you to go str to be good at it is kinda stupid when a large portion of the game is based around it, both destroying blocks and building things.

TNT and now C4. So where is the problem, comrade?

EDIT: Most of the pois can be abused anyway, except the large factories. No need for nerdpolling. Playing agility build and you can pretty much jump anywhere, destroy one block to get in, steal loot and jump out. Sometimes - SOMETIMES - you need to destroy the large reinforced chest, but since it is not in every POI and it is only one chest, i have no problems with smashing it. Or, in better cases, carry Auger.

I'm glad to hear someone else believes this. In A16, the crossbow was my main weapon of choice. Something was done to it for A17. For many of us, we went back to the bow/compound bow as a primary weapon. It's a shame too....I used to really like the crossbow.

Same, I iused to use the crossbow in a16, but in a17 its been pretty much turned to garbage, to long of a reload, slows you down when reloading, can't reload it when aiming. The comp bow is better in pretty much every way.

I doubt that. Almost universally, something that is not rendered is non-functional. Workstations get around this because they are not interacting with the world - counters are easy to progress even if the parent object is not rendered. It is usually a different story with actors that need to engage with the world itself. Deep minning is already safe past 40m but this is currently due to zed pathing as far as I am aware - they will not path more than 40 m - and therefore can change any time the pathing changes.

I could be wrong of course. I am sure someone will correct me :D

Not rendered doesn't mean not processed or simulated. An occlusion system that suspended gameplay things like structural integrity and zombie pathfinding calculations would be... interesting. :) For one thing, if non-rendered entities weren't functional, then network traffic would increase since the server would need to know what's rendering for each client for consistent behavior.

They sell a decent amount, but IMO noone is too weak. I mean it depends on what your idea is. If you think you can mine for 5 minutes and build for 5 days, then no you won't be happy. The stone axe is boosted and I built a wood house with it. Wasn't the smartest use of time because you should just loot for 5 days straight then buy some mining perks and use the tools you will find to do a more efficient job.

I never build a base on day 1, I usually don't start till day 5, unless I find a poi I like that takes minimal work to get up to par, like the brown brick church poi I like, just need some wood frames near the cieling to make a decent base up there, then some cobblestones to make a kill corridor at the entrance. Its better this way because by day 4/5 you have better perks and tools and can get the job done faster.

I can't say until we get a finished design but the idea was select deco that players can't craft would be collectable. Then we could even riff off of this and get random quests, from a trader where he says we have some settlements that are in dire need of some entertainment and need this list of supplies for a new settlement pub or whatever, and its a list randomly generated like:

10 barstools

2 pool tables

20 beer

Industrial coffee maker

Then you have to find/craft this list of stuff and turn it in.

Wait, did you guys make a pool table? Oh, great. Right after I make one out of blocks to be the centerpiece of the man cave in the prefab I’m modding. :p

7713CD7B2B5A1F8C2FA4BBFB74839ABC7C934E88

It is nice, tho kinda small for me. Even in singleplayer :( But i like your style, looks really well thought!

On side note, i am going to pay you 5000 dukes if you show me how to land that stupid gyro on such small spot :D

Well thats the easy part, you simply slam into the wall and boom, smooth landing all around! A lot of my landing is like that, but sometimes I actually land in the middle and feel like a king. Key is to completely stop accelerating some 20 block or so before the landing (depending on altitude). The gyrocopter keeps its momentum for a little bit and then suddenly starts falling. Than as soon as you are in the zone, quickly exit the vehicle. As I said, it does not work everytime, but when it does...damn it feels good.

Btw if you want to go bigger, I would probably make some "islands" around the central HUB, with bridges to connect. I actually intend to build this fort on a little island, with smaller buildings being on stillts in the water. Alternatively I was thinking of small tree forts all around. I just dont know what additions I would build, because the house already has everything I need - garage, helipad, workshop, toilets, kitchen, living room, bed room, basement (yep there is underground level), killing floor bunker, bedroom and garden with small pool.

Archived