Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Sure, not a bad idea as long as the cleaning kit is relatively cheap and the full repair relatively expensive. I still feel like there needs to be some possibility for the weapon to permanently break though. Otherwise the first purple is always the last, a result that devalues the scavenging and looting aspect of the game.

heh just a sug..

If Item/weapon allowed to hit zero durability, it rolls for a catastrophic failure, which renders it useless. Can still be used, but every action/shot done with it, increase the catastrophic failure chance exponentially.

So, maybe do repair kits like bandages and first aid kits.

Tier 1: Parts will repair a very small amount much like bandages do. You'll use up tons of parts always doing it this way.

Tier 2: Repair Kit will repair much more like first aid kits do and are harder to create like first aid kits are.

This sound so much better, if this were implemented I would love it. And it gives a player a reason to determine what resource they would want to prioritize on. Early game, a player might want to save to the parts to either craft an item or use it to repair. Or they could instead focus on looting to make a repair kit to make life easier.

If you find a gun on day one and don't know the game, it is a massive process to craft a repair kit.

If you find an iron axe on day one and don't know the game, it is also a massive process to craft forged iron, starting with aquiring the components for a forge. :cocksure:

So, maybe do repair kits like bandages and first aid kits.

Tier 1: Parts will repair a very small amount much like bandages do. You'll use up tons of parts always doing it this way.

Tier 2: Repair Kit will repair much more like first aid kits do and are harder to create like first aid kits are.

Low tech repair, easy to understand but lots of parts wasted, high tech repair cheap and good. This.

Regardless, a global precipitation system makes sense IMO.

Sorry, bringing up older subtopics here. A18... still applies though so I should be safe. I just wanted to clarify because I didn't have much of a chance.

I was asking because you used it as a main argument, so I just wanted to know how valid it was (it wasn't a good one). I wasn't asking out of disagreement because I do think that the global weather is a better fit for this game, regardless, as you said. I was mainly concerned with biome placement in A18 because before these weather posts, you made several posts discussing the wonders of the new RWG.

Then regarding this:

No you only need two attributes to do that. How does that make you a jack of all trades?

I see where you are coming from, but it just doesn't work out that way for me in the long run in A17. If you can pull it off in A18, that's awesome... but this is what I feel right now. My points are all over the place to keep up with the gamestage while remaining comfortable and on top of my single-player-survival-ism-ocity-ness. My original statement of having to be a jack-of-all trades to be an optimal single-player in A17 still stands for me. In fact, I cannot think of anybody I watch playing A17 not become a jack-of-all-trades. With that on the burner, my mentioning of this was in response to someone stating "my concern with the books is you'll be able to be a [j]ack of all trades". Well my concern is that I won't be able to be one when there is a possibility that I need to be as a single player like the way it is now. Like I said, if I won't need to be, great.. but this was my concern.

You keep saying pink/purple is find only , but we can already craft "epic" weapons, tools, armor. unless you are taking that away. We craft them all the time.

will armor have the new parts system too, or just tools / weapons?

We're still talking about it. Guns for sure will have gun parts. Armor and tools are up for debate.

Sure, not a bad idea as long as the cleaning kit is relatively cheap and the full repair relatively expensive. I still feel like there needs to be some possibility for the weapon to permanently break though. Otherwise the first purple is always the last, a result that devalues the scavenging and looting aspect of the game.

For the cleaning kit I mentioned using cloth, a piece of scrap metal and weapon oil (new item). Should be relatively inexpensive to make and would only clean the weapon with a penalty to durability as I mentioned earlier. The full repair would have to be done at a workstation, and then with a chance for the weapon to get destroyed (since it is a more complex operation) depending on skill/perks and the level of degradation that the gun has been put through.

For stuff like this it could also be cool if there was introduced a new workstation, an Engineering station for instance, where one could craft all the most complex items.

After playing New World this morning I would like to propose a change to the sleeping bag if I may.

How about, through books or perks, you learn to make a small camp (in addition to the sleeping bag) where you get an option in the radial menu to rest when near the camp. The player then sits/lie down and immobilizes and you receive the REST buff which over a duration heal you up like food or first aid would do. When you start moving or get attacked the buff is lost. This camp should be placed and interacted with like vehicles are.

This camp could even contain a small storage if possible, creating a new one would move the spawnpoint but not the items inside the storage. Furthermore there could be an option in the radial to open a campfire for cooking.

Could also be cool if this "wilderness camp" could be in addition to the sleeping bag you have in your base, so with this perk reward you get two spawn points.

Should be able to be packed up and moved to a new location maybe? Much like with vehicles.

Could look something like this...

bdf92047-4651-45ca-b459-189ac15261b4_scaled.jpg

EDIT: Proposed change to the repair kit. Name it Weapon Cleaning Kit and make it with cloth, a piece of scrap metal and some oil. A gun is a complex piece of engineering and in-the-field repair should be cleaning only, as someone already mentioned. The oil in the recipe should be a new oil item called "Weapons Oil" and be lootable from gun stores, gas stations, hardware stores...then put a normal to high prob on it.

We talked about maybe a bedroll buff if you are near it could heal faster.

I was referring to the tech tier not quality. So primitive stuff, stone tools use stone, mid tier guns like double barrel use iron for repair, and high end stuff like pump shotty use forged steel.

Its an unneeded complexity that will alienate new players IMO. Sure some might like it, but at the core of the game repair is more of a oh crap my weapon broke and now I have to do something about it, not go on a full quest to find oil, make glue, get cloth, forge an ingot etc. Its just repair, its nothing glorious. Lets save the quest like crafts for stuff that is more game changing like vehicles and guns. Something you can feel the reward on, not just maintenance of stuff. This is a case where realism just stops people from enjoying the game, something a little more abstact will pay off. More time to fix your base, do real quests, loot, craft, farm, etc. Repair on blocks is simple, repair on all items should be simple.

More time for what exactly? Your constant removal of complexity is clearing the way for? Farming is super simple and easy, repairing bases is super simple and easy, crafting is whittling down to nothing with the removal of actual items, biomes are disappearing and maps are becoming incredibly stale and boring. Player level gates are being completely removed.

You keep saying the focus on the 20 hour player is to open them up to this world of post 20 hour gameplay. But there IS no post 20 hour world left. So whats mid and end game? Wandering hordes are easy and barely exist, blood moons can easily be cheesed even if you dont mean to cheese it by building around the simplistic ai. Levelling is super fast and without gates those tier 3 plus weapons will be found and used up in days.

It may just be a repair kit but its the ripple effect of ALL these removals. Now theres less need for oil and mech parts. So the reason to keep looting for those resources is cut down, which decreases time spent finding them, which leads to people wondering why they are even bothering to scavenge to begin with after a few days in game. At this point just start players off with everything.

Yeah I know someone is going to try to diminish my opinion because of my mod or try to say Im really not allowed to have an opinion on Vanilla, except I am allowed. Population is severely down and that DOES impact how many people are playing both vanilla and modded. Making things simpler and removing even more complexity is going to lead to a lot of regrets.

The issue with 17 wasn't the actual game. It was that people grew bored of what there is to accomplish and face in the game. Getting people to end game quicker is not going to help with retention, especially amongst streamers and the like.

Another proposal that the developers will consider, but will not accept)))

The weapon is now very reliable, regardless of the level of quality. You can shoot from it until its strength is equal to ~ 0

I propose to introduce the possibility of accidental misfire when shooting, when the strength of the object becomes very low.

To continue to shoot, the player will have to reload the weapon, it would be good to come up with a special reload animation for this)

Level 1 - misfires begin at 50% strength

Level 2 - misfires begin at 35% strength

---

Level 6 - misfires begin at 10% strength.

Percentage of randomness misfires can be adjusted by some special perk. You can even think up a book that will greatly reduce the percentage of misfires.

i cant say ABSOLUTELY NOT loud enough

For the cleaning kit I mentioned using cloth, a piece of scrap metal and weapon oil (new item). Should be relatively inexpensive to make and would only clean the weapon with a penalty to durability as I mentioned earlier. The full repair would have to be done at a workstation, and then with a chance for the weapon to get destroyed (since it is a more complex operation) depending on skill/perks and the level of degradation that the gun has been put through.

For stuff like this it could also be cool if there was introduced a new workstation, an Engineering station for instance, where one could craft all the most complex items.

+1 I’d be on board with this

10%? You have played long games, right? Mining is essential. Far more essential than it should be.

Wrong. I'm on day 189 on my current and fresh 17.2 and you don't need mining for anything at all. You can get every single thing to get you going from surface rocks, a trader, quests and wrenching. Bullets? Even without being careful you pile up a lot of them. Iron/etc? You have more than enough through wrenching and you don't even need to wrench that much. Killing radiated ones? Gotta save those 7,62 mm for the right moment.

On top of that and to further degrade and spit on your comment (lol) I will add that I'm playing 25% loot insane difficulty, I never wrench a non quest location (I wrench and then "refresh" the location) and I feel like the loot and resource balance is perfect with the current amount of stuff variety.

Not buttlicking here. I speak from heart. And from the butt, apparently...?

If complexity of the games mechanics for crafting or other stuff is an issue then why not make the in game journal easier to use and guide new players in the correct direction? Maybe instead of stuff unlocking in the journal as you find it have it all available from the start to explain where to find things and other stuff new players might need help with?

Also better detailed explanations for perks and easier to manage UI for reading all that text would be helpful.

Alpha 17 has taken away alot of the reasons to go out and scavenge for items and making things simple to create will take away from the exploration and scavenging aspect of this game.

Grue the Wanderer? Now that would be messy...

Nope... Google "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

But points for remembering Groo the Wanderer even if you spelled it wrong. :)

On topic:

I also like the notion of being able to scrap low-quality weapons to either repair or craft higher-quality weapons. Right now once you find a high-quality weapon, all the other weapons you find are next to useless (you scrap them for the ammo and to sell the mechanical parts to traders). The new system would make them valuable again.

However, I do think that using weapon parts (for crafting or repair) should require a workbench.

To make up for the "workbench gate," I do like the idea of vastly simplified "repair kits" that are little more than gun cleaning kits, exactly like Sirillion suggested. These would be very easy to make (Sirillion's recipe of cloth/iron/oil sounds good to me, maybe even a second recipe that uses gasoline instead of oil).

They would only repair a little bit - like, maybe a faulty quality weapon would have half its durability restored with one repair kit. So they'd be almost useless with higher tiered weapons, and it gives you an incentive to use the workbench/gun parts in mid-to-late game.

But lowering the overall durability has already been talked about, and is pretty much a non-starter. You can look back through this thread, but a lot of it has to do with weapon mods, and what would happen to them if the weapon lost a quality level.

But even if TFP doesn't do any of the above, I'm still liking the ideas that MM has already put forth.

Industrial forge sounds awesome I hated late game required multiple forges

I never make more than two or three forges and mostly just used one all the time even if I have spares.

7 Days To Get Eaten By A Grue

Grue the Wanderer? Now that would be messy...

That's what she said x 2

And that's one reason to gate it behind electricity.

It should be natural tech progression, not something 100% optional.

You want end game resources, invest in end game tech, not only a perk and be done with it.

I would LOVE to see some more end game, electricity locked, more efficient crafting stations.

A working stove(firepit in the center of your house looks bad), forge with electrical bellows(more efficient smelting, unlocks steel), advanced workbench for T3-T5 mods.

I also like the idea to tying crafting perks to other attributes, it should be like that from the start, less focus on "nerd" player having it all, more specialization and mixed attribute builds.

I don't consider that to be "natural progression". Steel was made LONG before electricity was ever harnessed.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this. I think having an industrial, electric forge with shorter crafting times, fewer resources needed, and/or higher capacities would be sufficient to make the perk valuable. Kind of like how a chem station is still valuable for making gunpowder.

Exactly.

And to be eve more muddy, I mean clear, repair kits might stay, lol. After seeing how much localization there is... maybe we will just simplify the recipe.

the workbench seems like the logical location and required item to repair anything semi complex. I know it would be a pain in some cases but if I was going to repair something and I had a workbench that's where I would do it

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe keep the repair kit but make it a tool for the workbench (like the cooking pot for the forge) that allows for repairs to be done there more cheaply than when doing field repair. Then you still have the task of crafting it but just once per workbench and that would also give a reason to make repairs at the workbench. Field repairs in the backpack should be expensive in parts so that they are only used in emergency or you are paying for the convenience.

jeez I needed more catsup

I've been asking around but no response about the unfortunate glitch on disappearing vehicles - the most common thing I noticed whas that they're really high up, past the "sky limit". ppl claimed they dug some of them (teleported in ground) others built a ton of frames and used an 8x scope on that one pixel in the sky which happened to be their bike floating - essentially the vehicle either goes way up or down.

Anyway, pls code faster - I'm loving this game and waiting on A18 to play with my little brother :)

Cheers

This change will be in A17.3:

Fixed SDTD-9255 gyrocopter floats in air if the pilot gets disconnected/logs out (vehicles will fall once their chunk loads).

This change will be in A17.3:

Fixed SDTD-9255 gyrocopter floats in air if the pilot gets disconnected/logs out (vehicles will fall once their chunk loads).

Is that controlled by the server, or any client that is close by? Or only the owners client?

Any chances to ads moods to vehicles in a18? Like visible armor or mounted guns..more room for more players? Is to dificult to add?

I posted several weeks ago about the 4 prototype mods I made for vehicles. I did that so design would have some fully functional mods to base whatever actual mods they end up making. We have a lot of stuff to finish for A18, so vehicle mods probably won't be released until A18+ or A19.

Is that controlled by the server, or any client that is close by? Or only the owners client?

If a player is off by himself and logs off, the chunks around him unload and vehicles in the area unload, which means they are frozen in time.

Falling happens when vehicles spawn. Existing vehicles spawn when their chunk loads. Chunks load when a player is near.

Archived