Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

4 GB will probably only be OK for a few years. I can see our next game being 3-4 GB minimum requirements.

Save the money on something cheaper now and have that money for later, or spend more now and use the card longer. Both have their merits.

"3-4 GB minimum requirements to die" Coming on 2020

LOL and more LOL.

Here is a secret tip for all you pro players out there. The 9V battery in the land mine could be dead, so touch your tongue to the mine. If you don't get a shock, then feel free to pick it up. If you feel a shock, then don't mess with it. If you you died trying this, then blame Roland, since he made me think of land mines.

Funny you mention this. I know a guy who swears by the 9v battery tongue test...lol

Day 28 horde night was easy peasy (24 alive). I felt like there was less zombies, but it could be pipe bombs and molotovs exhausting horde super fast ("price": 500 rounds 7.62, 24 molotovs and 37 pipe bombs). I tested a modified platform and it worked really well: 16 reinforced concrete pillars with plates to increased protection, so in theory each pillar has 25k hit points. Sure, I will need steel in order to avoid demolishers, but I will build a perimeter defense with electric fences and inside barbed wire fences. On top I will have a iron bars cage so I can sniper them.

Explosives of all sorts are ludicrously powerful for their cost in A16 so far. With gunpowder being so easy to get and the only limited on higher explosives being duct tape you can pretty much just LOL through a horde if you depend mainly on explosives. My pure agility build was killing day 40+ hordes just by spamming explosive arrows for the most part, and I was actually stockpiling more than I was using.

Does the From The Shadows (sneaking perk) include gun sounds as well when it says muffles all actions?

Speaking of sounds, was is always intended for sound to get lowered when crouching (e.g. the sound of mining)? I think the game has always done this since many alphas ago. Seems more like a negative thing.

Speaking of sounds, was is always intended for sound to get lowered when crouching (e.g. the sound of mining)? I think the game has always done this since many alphas ago. Seems more like a negative thing.

are you asking if crouching has always lowered volume? yes its been like that since i think stealth was introduced. I believe that if you are crouching any sounds u make will produce less heat, I still need to verify this is true.

I think it represents that you're mining more stealthily?

...maybe they should make it a bit slower when crouched, to simulate you being more careful. =)

I would love to watch a video of that. Sounds amazeballs. Sounds like alot of fun despite the gaps you've observed.

Edit: As a side note...I wish I had more play time. A18 has me so hooked....

I really wish I had recorded the previous horde defense, I was in my bunker with everything out of ammo, my iron bars broken, and my last block between me and the zombies at 10% hp. Full brown pants mode. I nommed a fort bites, meleed, and dipped out a couple times to heal. Killed the last 50 or so zombies melee only protecting that block by tanking controlled amounts of hits.

But I do have my Day 34 defense. After the brown alert of the last horde night I went into full on farm/prep mode for the next one an I think I overprepared lol.

. I also did adapt what another forum poster was saying and used 4 junk turrets. That way while I was reloading 2 the other two would be firing. Of course, this means I'm even more of a reload $*#&$ than ever and I barely had time to fire more than a few clips of AK ammo.

Nonetheless, the 2 auto turrets + 3 shotgun turrets + 2 blade traps + 2 electrical fences are what did 90% of the work. I think the Junk turrets were there mainly to make me feel like I was useful. "I'm helping!" lol. I could have potentially AFK'd this defense since the blade traps had taken hardly any damage and the electric fences were both still healthy once the night was finished....electrical turrets still had plenty of ammo too.

This is why I say you can overcome basically any challenge in this game via controlled pulls or farm. Controlled pulls for POIs and sheer amounts of farming power for horde nights. Farm + well built base > player skill lol. At least until demolishers come knocking on my door. I'm pretty scared they are gonna boom on me.

I really wish I had recorded the previous horde defense, I was in my bunker with everything out of ammo, my iron bars broken, and my last block between me and the zombies at 10% hp. Full brown pants mode. I nommed a fort bites, meleed, and dipped out a couple times to heal. Killed the last 50 or so zombies melee only protecting that block by tanking controlled amounts of hits.

But I do have my Day 34 defense. After the brown alert of the last horde night I went into full on farm/prep mode for the next one an I think I overprepared lol.

. I also did adapt what another forum poster was saying and used 4 junk turrets. That way while I was reloading 2 the other two would be firing. Of course, this means I'm even more of a reload $*#&$ than ever and I barely had time to fire more than a few clips of AK ammo.

Nonetheless, the 2 auto turrets + 3 shotgun turrets + 2 blade traps + 2 electrical fences are what did 90% of the work. I think the Junk turrets were there mainly to make me feel like I was useful. "I'm helping!" lol. I could have potentially AFK'd this defense since the blade traps had taken hardly any damage and the electric fences were both still healthy once the night was finished....electrical turrets still had plenty of ammo too.

This is why I say you can overcome basically any challenge in this game via controlled pulls or farm. Controlled pulls for POIs and sheer amounts of farming power for horde nights. Farm + well built base > player skill lol. At least until demolishers come knocking on my door. I'm pretty scared they are gonna boom on me.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Explosives of all sorts are ludicrously powerful for their cost in A16 so far. With gunpowder being so easy to get and the only limited on higher explosives being duct tape you can pretty much just LOL through a horde if you depend mainly on explosives. My pure agility build was killing day 40+ hordes just by spamming explosive arrows for the most part, and I was actually stockpiling more than I was using.

Yeah, explosives are fun in A18 like in A16 (A17 was not working properly 'til 17.4 I believe). I know I didn''t find the book for exploding bolts, but exploding arrows I'm not sure. I'll definitely check it tonight. The only let down is: we don't have a reliable source for paper (for mid/late game hordes) so I will not "spam" shotgun turrets like I did in A16 (my last base had 20 turrets). That would make hordes even easier by using it as perimeter defense alongside electric fences. I think I'll build hybrid towers: dart traps and electric fences, each side with its electric system so I can avoid the entire defense going down due to demolishers explosion. Horde nights are fun again.

Nobody will spend a point anymore in better crafting because its a dead end in early midgame and technically its really just wasted points.

Maybe it helps very early on but you will regret every point wasted in crafting at some point.

Very unlikely, because crafting items (with quality) is just a side benefit of the respective perk. For example if you use shotguns as your main weapon it would be really really braindead not to specc into shotgun messiah perk.

im having a good time on day 29 didn't want my selected perks so I worked my ass off for grandpas learning elixir reset my perks and going into mining and perception and well its pretty good lol I have like 4k bullets and obliterating zombies right now it helps that you mark all sources like coal and nitrate since that's the main thing you need to get this build well as usual thank you fun pimps for making your game always fun I truly appreciate it thank you

-callum

No its not.

EDIT: If you repair the gun its worth more than 12, but still not as much as the parts.

Wow. The value difference surprises me because there is no actual “polishing of parts”. It’s a simple button click to scrap and a few seconds later your item is significantly more valuable AND stackable....

At least I can save more repair kits now. I was using them to polish up guns before selling them but there is no question now what the right choice should be. Always scrap guns.

We're not adding it to the map, but might do a screen overlay for it when you are close, and add that to the fetch quests too the ones in floorboards are confusing if its in the floor of this level or in the ceiling of the level below you.

Please don't make the fetch quests trivial. There is nothing wrong when you add a searching minigame and it actually needs you to be searching, sometimes longer sometimes shorter.

We're removing crafting of purples.

seriously?

the fact that you need "parts" to craft items and gear and the sheer amount of other matts. you can't spam craft purples and you can spec into everything to unlock every purple item. I think its good where its at right now. if you want to change it up I am open to that. hopefully you don't just remove it.

Wow. The value difference surprises me because there is no actual “polishing of parts”. It’s a simple button click to scrap and a few seconds later your item is significantly more valuable AND stackable....

At least I can save more repair kits now. I was using them to polish up guns before selling them but there is no question now what the right choice should be. Always scrap guns.

I think this is only true for low quality items. The higher quality weapons/tools/armor will sell more than the parts.

And yesterday I was making a funny defending how it is working currently. Little did I know, the funny was on me.

Yeah, explosives are fun in A18 like in A16 (A17 was not working properly 'til 17.4 I believe). I know I didn''t find the book for exploding bolts, but exploding arrows I'm not sure. I'll definitely check it tonight. The only let down is: we don't have a reliable source for paper (for mid/late game hordes) so I will not "spam" shotgun turrets like I did in A16 (my last base had 20 turrets). That would make hordes even easier by using it as perimeter defense alongside electric fences. I think I'll build hybrid towers: dart traps and electric fences, each side with its electric system so I can avoid the entire defense going down due to demolishers explosion. Horde nights are fun again.

Paper is very consistent in loot and as trash on the floor. Also anytime you see a rolled cylinder that doesn't look metal you should try harvesting it. It'll either be wood, or it'll be a textured paper or carpet roll that can be harvested for paper. There are multiple places that have giant pillar sized rolls of material that can be harvested for significant amounts of paper. Like each block can be 100+ paper.

I always bash literally everything to make sure I know what I can potentially harvest from it :p. It's why I started pickaxing the fully stone and fully metal sinks as well as any faucet I see. Free iron pipes from the sinks and free iron/brass from faucets after you scap them. Showerheads too to scrap into iron. The toliet factory as part of the 3 building dungeon crawl is one of my favorite POIs because I always get a good amount of brass/iron from it along with cement/cobblestones from another building scooping the bags with a shovel.

Any plan to increase the t5 quest POIs? Right now there are only 4 of them and it is easy and fast to obtain a t5 quest..

They are kind of a novelty IMO I don't do them because they take too long and cause player fatigue. I'd rather we don't add any more.

@Madmole:

If world generation is staying how it is, PLEASE consider adding this feature request in a18 or a19:

Either a game option to choose medium or large biomes, or a new biome.raw file with biomes half the current sizes.

I played with the biome.raw file, and its very easy to do, a half hour's work at best.

I know you like large biomes, but here is my justification for this:

In my 70 day playthrough, I never saw wasteland, snow, OR desert until day 66, where I spent two full days map exploring. At that point I finally DID see both wasteland and snow.

I was seeking desert though, because I needed to craft gas. I finally looked at the generated biome.png to see where desert was on the map. I had started far SE, and desert was far NW.

This means I never saw a snake, coyote, OR mountain lion either. It doesn't matter whats in those other biomes if new players never even see them. If you want to hook new players they need a taste of that biome diversity. I spent probably 80% of my time in ugly burning lands with only vultures as wildlife (and as a result, no huntable food other than an occasional spawned wolf pack) , 19% in forest so I could hunt for food, and the other 1% or 70 play hours as I travelled hunting down biomes on the map in game.

I can easily do this myself editing that biome.raw file now, but the option for more diversity to balance the play environment really needs to be back in vanilla. Flipping or rotating it to change it up is fine, but the biomes just need to be smaller so players actually see them or can locate them.

Going forward (if this is how they are going to generate biomes from now on) I'd like to either see game options for small, medium or large biomes, or provide a few different biome.raw files, and randomly choose one of them to flip or rotate for map generation.

None of this is really difficult to do, so once someone has critical a18 fixes off their plate this would be a good easy way to add biome balance to the game.

Please bring this up to the team to consider.

As I've said, this version is all about getting pretty terrain stabilized, and we'll expose options for players after we get roads and towns sorted out.

There is no way you could travel two days straight and not see everything unless you were encumbered, wearing heavy armor, had low stamina or moving in circles. Climb a mountain or nerd pole up 200 frames and look, you can see multiple biomes usually and go to the new biomes, or simply use your map once you hit a border you have 1 piece of a 4 piece puzzle its pretty easy to figure out where the rest is.

EDIT: You can play a 4k map too, then you see it all easily.

I can't wear headphones for a hundred hours, my ears hot flash and I feel miserable for about 2-3 hours afterwards unless I don't record any vo, but that isn't very fun to watch. I need some ac headphones lol.

I have the same problem and since I travel a lot and wanted a good in-ear headset. so I got a couple of sets of these and they rock.

USB Type C Earphones, Lewoer in-Ear Noise Cancelling Earbuds Stereo Bass Gym Sports Headset with Microphone

highly rated and $20. I have two sets for travel and gaming rig.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVJWGHP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07VVJWGHP&pd_rd_w=iuVyN&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=ZXzzn&pf_rd_r=EDKVVHWG0C639W7EDYGV&pd_rd_r=910c1829-b780-47eb-bcd9-8f8460c0c840&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFKNkcyNjgyMEcxTEMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NjU2NDYzOFlHN0E0WDFJVUoyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwOTQ1NDMyUVlNMzdCWVQxNlNGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Archived