Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Tbh I wouldnt mind having a seperate skill tree for crafting. Sounds like a reasonable idea.

Wasnt it like that before though? The int tree had all the crafting stuff?

Exactly, but they didn't want to make intelligence a must-have, now it's really balanced tho, I think my idea of having a separated skill tree for crafting (maybe construction too?) don't interfere with the current design and balance of the skills.

Exactly, but they didn't want to make intelligence a must-have, now it's really balanced tho, I think my idea of having a separated skill tree for crafting (maybe construction too?) don't interfere with the current design and balance of the skills.

Yeah I agree it could be worth a try.

No it trivializes the feeling of finding a purple in loot after clearing a dangerous POI. You shouldn't be able to turn garbage into the best gear in the game. Get off your ass and find it.

If its about trivializing the feeling of finding purple loot in dangerous POI's then you should remove them from traders, and you should remove their chance to be loot in anything other than T4/T5 final loot chests or high end zombie loot drops.

Nothing more trivializing then finding purple stuff in ♥♥♥♥ POI's in the first few days, or turning "garbage" into coins to buy a purple

I want you to walk outside right now (IRL) and find a feather. Around here a bunch of hillbillies ride around with guns in their trucks/cars. Police definitely have guns and there are shooting ranges all over the place. That doesn't count the number of people who have guns at home.

I initially thought there were too many bullets, but as gamestage scales, ammo quickly becomes an issue and you have to conserve and use melee instead.

What does this have to do with anything? This is a game, not real life. I'd also love to pick up my truck and put it in my pocket while lugging around 100 tones of concrete.

I use a desktop microphone for team chat... I have an old USB mic by Logitech, but they're not making them any more so they're expensive now. Should be others out there though.

Desktop mic or headset mic does not change thew fact that to record and have audio on the recording you need to wear a headset. It's the desktop speakers that are the problem. Feedback and echo if not wearing a headset.

@ Faatal / madmole.

I made a quick 1.5 min video highlighting the severe fps difference between the snow biome and the forest biome. Please have a look so you'll know what i've been talking about. :) FPS is shown both by the ingame F8 counter as well as steams own internal counter which is shown at the topleft. (due to video compression, that one is more easy to make out)

If anyone wants to quickly repeat the proces and see if you have a similar drop in performance, that would be interesting. Just go to the border of a snow biome (preferable with forest), and look at the terrain from a higher spot or simply fly up with godmode. Notice the difference in fps when looking at either the forest side, or the snow side. :)

p.s. the console error in the beginning only shows up due to me recording, i think. I've never seen it before.

Some biomes will decrease FPS more than others, since they draw different things, but none of them should be drastically worse.

I'm trying to see if any our testers have biomes that drop FPS a lot, so I can determine what GPUs have the problem. My RTX 2070 seemed fine. The AMD HD 5770 is slow on everything (in editor), so I need to check that one in a build. The GTX 960 is no longer in my computer, but don't recall it being too bad.

1.6 gig update Funpimps? Really? Way to destroy someone's Available gaming time. Way to be inconsiderate to your a customer base where time is limited. Still waiting for a switch to turn off zombie digging and switch daylight and night time zombie behavior. You know 7 days to die not 7 nights to die.

Experimental releases are obviously not for you. Wait for stable.

Some biomes will decrease FPS more than others, since they drawn different things, but none of them should be drastically worse.

I'm trying to see if any our testers have biomes that drop FPS a lot, so I can determine what GPUs have the problem. My RTX 2070 seemed fine. The AMD HD 5770 is slow on everything (in editor), so I need to check that one in a build. The GTX 960 is no longer in my computer, but don't recall it being too bad.

I have a GTX 960 4GB avg 50-60 FPS snow biome I drop down to 20-25fps, desert I drop down to 40-50 fps.

I can provide video if needed.

NOTE: I'm pretty sure I've done already figured out what causes the massive drops in frames btw.

Real men craft their repair kits and role play their stuff all degraded.

Real 'men' (and women) start new a new game knowing current builds lowered gamesstages/looting.

And knowing that old saves can cause problems, and to minimize complaining, forum space, etc.

KNOWING that is is experimental. Managing 'invested' expectations...

Some biomes will decrease FPS more than others, since they drawn different things, but none of them should be drastically worse.

GTX 1080 8GB and no fps issues here either. I have been lucky to not have gotten any of the bugs others have reported. Smooth sailing so far.

If its about trivializing the feeling of finding purple loot in dangerous POI's then you should remove them from traders, and you should remove their chance to be loot in anything other than T4/T5 final loot chests or high end zombie loot drops.

Nothing more trivializing then finding purple stuff in ♥♥♥♥ POI's in the first few days, or turning "garbage" into coins to buy a purple

Traders will get a quality nerf soon.

we have people here complaining they get 20-30 fps in general yet they're hard ware is a 770 or they only have 8gbs or ram or a i5 4000 series.

Yes pc parts are spendy, but on average parts go out of fate 2-3 months after release. Now days 16gb ram and 4gb vram is a MUST standard to have god fps IMO. i know ive barked about how do ppl play at super low settings and say 30 fps is good. this has nothing to do wi th it.

Games are requiring higher standards cause, lets face it, the old standards or 2g vram and 4gb system

ram are no longer a thing.

we have people here complaining they get 20-30 fps in general yet they're hard ware is a 770 or they only have 8gbs or ram or ai5 4000 series.

Yes pc parts are spendy, but on average parts go out of fate 2-3 months after release. Now days 16gb ram and 4gb vram is a MUST standard to have god fps IMO. i know ive barked about how do ppl play at super low settings and say 30 fps is good. this has nothing to do wi th it.

Games are requiring higher standards cause, lets face it, the old standards or 2g vram and 4gb system

Yeah true that. I was stoked when I finally got a 1080 then the 20 series came out lol.

Sexual tyrannosaurus requires only level 3 in the strength attribute to reach rank 3 in it, I call that a "minimal-investment perk". All attributes other than strength and perception completely lack minimal-investment perks, so you guys should balance attributes more to give every other attribute (agility, fortitude and intellect) at least 2 minimal-investment perks each. A player has to invest a total of 12 perk points into Fortitude and Iron Gut just so they can eat a piece of grilled meat safely, yet, it only takes 5 perk points to get sexual tyrannosaurus to level 3, along with many other perks under the strength attribute. It's pretty self-explanatory how problematic that is, I don't need to try to convince you that it's unbalanced, you see it already straight-off. I suspect you're already working on balancing it, but I just wanted to make sure. I'll make the following suggestions for minimal-investment perks per attribute: For Intellect, Better Barter and The Daring Adventurer; Or, alternatively, move Master Chef from Strength back over to Intellect, and make it minimal-investment. For Fortitude, I strongly recommend Iron Gut and Cardio. For Agility, I recommend Flurry of Blows and Parkour. That way, if you only dabble into one of those attributes, your selection benefits every other playstyle. Doesn't matter what weapons you prefer; Those above perks would always help your build!

Desktop mic or headset mic does not change thew fact that to record and have audio on the recording you need to wear a headset. It's the desktop speakers that are the problem. Feedback and echo if not wearing a headset.

Ear buds don't cause me any problems.

we have people here complaining they get 20-30 fps in general yet they're hard ware is a 770 or they only have 8gbs or ram or a i5 4000 series.

goign on, just wait when 8gb vram is not standard and Ray tracing and DDOS or whatver garbage nvidia tried pushing too early is standard. LOL that will be the day

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah true that. I was stoked when I finally got a 1080 then the 20 series came out lol.

20 series IMo are not worht unless you want the vram upgrade. I only got it cause i had a 970, needed more vram, and hope to use the USB C port for VR. plus, RGB is king in PC world

You guys should fix the 25% loot abundance feature. It should give you 25% less of whatever's in the container; Instead of 4 lockpicks you get 1, instead of 2 duct tape you get 1, instead of 3 bottles of water you get 1. In the console version you rarely find nothing in a container, you instead find a lot less of whatever would originally be in it on 100% abundance, which provides a sense of post-apocalyptic scarcity; 20 feathers in a nest becomes 5, for example. It should never round down the contents of a container to zero, like it currently does on PC. Anybody can play the game on 100% loot abundance and spray zombies with infinite bullets and think the game's just fine, but I like to challenge myself on 25% loot abundance, and right now, it ain't treatin' me too well on PC. Ever since alpha 17 I've heard a lot of people say it's broken, just want to make sure you guys at TFP recognize it as an issue that needs fixin'.

Its already done, see my previous posts on this matter. The goal is to find more browns and oranges early game so you have incentive to craft something much better with all those parts, not to let you craft the most amazing gear in the game from garbage. Blues are outright awesome players crafting purples is just a poor design. What happens in Skyrim when you max enchanting/smithing and craft the best gear in the game? You quit playing.

"Blues are outright awesome players..."

Thank you. ; - )

In my A18 games so far, I have not been able to find an incentive to craft guns, tools, etc related to my spec. If I am a perception build, wanting to be able to craft a steel spear, I do quests and a lot of looting of various POI's to find the parts that I need. In each game so far, I end up looting a tier 5 or 6 spear before I have the chance to find enough parts to actually craft one. So I am either super lucky or maybe the loot is turned up a little bit too much?

Once I have a great piece of gear for my spec, I have no desire to craft another of that item and can keep and repair it forever or until I loot one with better stats.

Has limited repair/durability been considered?

For Example: Each time you repair an item, its maximum durability is reduced by 1/3 or something. This way you can still repair items, but eventually the durability will be too low to be useful and you will have to either loot another one or scrap it to craft a new one with parts. You will be able to visibly see that your prized weapon/tool is wearing out and plan for its replacement.

This would be a good crafting sink and a great incentive to craft. I can see myself planning my crafting ahead of time to make sure that I have a decent weapon/tool on hand when my main item wears out.

Alpha 18 has been awesome so far and I can see the balance coming along with each update.

Keep up the good work TFP!

Melee is broke as hell right now, following the introduction of rage mode and splash damage. I literally just miss headshot after headshot, then the splash damage/shaving damage makes enemies enter rage mode all the time. I tried using knife bleeds instead, but wouldn't you know it, those bleed ticks cause rage mode as well. There should be a toggle option for rage mode on servers, and you guys should definitely remove the splash damage feature entirely, and increase the hitbox sizes for single-target melee strikes on bodyparts. Maybe just modify the power attacks for top-tier weapons - like the steel sledgehammer, machete, or steel spear - and make those power attacks swing horizontally, and make them hit all targets in front of you for full damage and full impact. That way, top-tier players could funnel zombies through a doorway and cleave them down with great efficiency, until the surrounding doorframe was obliterated and zombies started pouring in; Don't forget, demolition zombies and cop zombies still exist, so this feature wouldn't be game-breaking. Lastly, a small issue compared to the rest: Improving zombies' movement so that they don't turn 45 degrees and can approach the player directly on a diagonal walking path would REALLY help. That 45 degree turning feature, plus these shaving damage misses, are a horrible combination. That zig zag aspect to their movement never made it impossible to enjoy the game, but that aspect, in addition to this new shaving damage mechanic, kinda does in a small way. It causes frequent irritation and I believe, well and truly, that you guys have the power to correct it.

Hi @faatal I can confirm that with a Radeon Fury X (4Gb) it started to lag in the snow biomes. Driver v.19.10.1 All is fine with a Vega 64.

-Tommy

Archived