Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

1.6 gig update Funpimps? Really? Way to destroy someone's Available gaming time. Way to be inconsiderate to your a customer base where time is limited. Still waiting for a switch to turn off zombie digging and switch daylight and night time zombie behavior. You know 7 days to die not 7 nights to die.

Opt out of Experimental and wait for the Stable release and all your problems are solved. Game away uninterrupted.

Is the sell price discrepancy between whole items and item parts intended? For instance, a level 1 stun baton sells for 12 dukes, but can be scrapped for 3 parts which sell for 90 dukes.

Yes. You are trying to sell a piece of ♥♥♥♥ gun, versus taking it apart, polishing the parts and selling those. Like in the old days you couldn't sell an old wrecked mopar for 500 bucks, but you could sell a fender for 80, a radiator for 50, an engine block and heads for 200 and get way more money just selling the parts. It might take you two years but you made 3 grand instead of 100 bucks for the whole car at the junk dealer.

WIth B149, crafting went from almost useless to too good. I have a suggestion:

* Revert crafting quality to B143, with no random stats;

* Add an option to attempt to craft an item at a one higher quality;

* Make the 1-higher items have random stats, but have the "worse" range be bigger than the "better" range, significantly;

* Make 1-higher crafting prone to fatal failure, losing the materials for no gain;

* Make 1-higher "better" range exceed loot range.

That should keep the focus on looting what you need instead of crafting what you need, but allow people to spend an uncertain amount of time and resources to get something truly unique through crafting.

We're removing crafting of purples.

We are swimming very well IMO. GO TEAM!!! 18 has been a smashing success and its not even out of experimental yet. 17 was a framework build and we're pretty much done with framework so we should have more frequent and less buggy and more polished builds from here on out.

Honestly A18 is my favorite alpha and I've played since A9. Yall really have crushed it. I have some minor quibbles (some of which you've heard here) but they are indeed minor. Overall I'm incredibly happy and I have faith yall are going to smooth out what rough edges there are in A18 :).

- - - Updated - - -

The idea is to allow people to get started specializing right away allowing them to craft a primitive gun on day 1. We'd need primitive versions of everything to pull it off, and then push out finding real guns at all until level 10 or so. We have it working with melee weapons for the most part, but I'm not sure it really needs to happen with firearms. We'd need pipe rifles, pipe machineguns, pipe pistols and some kind of potato gun for the int guy to pull it off. It could be cool though. Probably get rid of blunderbuss ammo and just use regular ammo for all primitive fire arms.

It might happen when we get bandits in the game too or make sense when they come.

I love the idea of primitive weapons of everything, filling the gap you say, but agreed it's pretty low priority. I understand yall have limited time and resources and so prioritization is key.

Feathers need a buff (finding more of them in nests) and I don't even like using the bows.

Compared to guns and ammo it seems like an unnecessary nerf.

I love that we can go guns blazing from the start but I know some users prefer the bows.

Vulture harvesting is not really viable unless you live in or are in close proximity to a desert.

Forget about using the bow on early game hordes too, just not enough arrows, even if you harvest vultures.

Edit: you also reduced the nests out in the wild, which is... insane when coupled with reduced feathers.

Can you use a gun exclusively early game? Nope. You have to mine for ammo. Some tips:

GO to rooftops and kill vultures.

Get the huntsman to harvest more from vultures. (pretty sure about that)

Chop up the nests after you loot them for even more feathers.

Go to biomes that have vultures. Injure yourself if you want, they will seek you out then.

Get the book that gets you more feathers.

Get the archery perk that lets you retrieve more arrows.

Use every other gun you have and ammo you find to conserve feathers.

I sell stacks of feathers and don't even use a bow. Like 250 every day or two just from wrecking every vulture I see. I don't loot nests either unless I'm an archer build.

@Madmole and the person whom suggested to test if refusal to use guns worked, I died nighttime at day 4 on Nomad (started on Warrior but noped out). I cought my second infection and sawno other choice (after visting the trader, doing a quest and finding nothing to cure it) but to venture out in night to search for a few honies. Got ambushed by a farmer zombie that stun locked me after I wiffed my spear throw, sledge hammer was too slow while stunned... then 2 more zombies joined the battle lol.

RIP primitive character!

I can sorta see it being viable, more-so late game, but you gotta use a gun at somepoint when the thick gets thicker. Not that im complaining, who doesn't like guns lol.

Ah to respond about the feather thing, yeah I came close a few times but I never ran out of arrows.

Yes. Archery lost its appeal this patch.

No its better than ever. We just nerfed early game OP archery. You can build up to that quickly though. There is exploding arrows now too, and books on archery that make it OP. I could sneak arrow wights at night and one shot them in the wasteland and I wasn't even fully perked yet.

No its better than ever. We just nerfed early game OP archery. You can build up to that quickly though. There is exploding arrows now too, and books on archery that make it OP. I could sneak arrow wights at night and one shot them in the wasteland and I wasn't even fully perked yet.

Yeah in my last run (not the one I died at day 4 lol) I found some archery books, they're really nice. I only had 1 point into archery and I was using bows quite a bit out in the open to get that initial sneak shot / long range dps. It did pop some heads under stealth, with only 1 point into the sneak damage and on Warrior difficulty.

And it's not that hard to go into iron arrows then steel arrows, which don't even use feathers.

For now, once we get random encounters in it will be game staged events that can be nasty for high level characters.

Such as a "feral moon", for instance? (Feral spawns are increased fairly dramatically. Watch your back! [Not a blood moon, but if you get caught out at night...].)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be very surprised if there are any cash exploits, I have hundreds of hours testing.

There is one.

Coolers. You know, the beer coolers. 8 polymers or something like that to craft, around 70 dukes each. It's nothing compared to picnic tables back in a17, but there you go. Yw.

finally got the demolisher.. he died easy. barb wire fence made it so easy to head shot him and the rest.

game stage was 157, on day 49 and I was level 67. difficulty nomad with max alive at 32.

I had 9 blade traps and 3 turret's to help out but the stuff that helped the most were barb wire fence. they slow down the horde so much that it makes head shots crazy easy. I barely went through 1500 rounds of AP 7.62 ammo.

I'd say forget spikes and just do a few rows of barb wire fence like 3 or 4 and you are set and can easily put in good head shots to make horde nights very easy.

sadly I can't post pics but I did upload a bunch to steam.

So I’m doing an agility build which IMO is really fun. I finally found a machete day 25, it’s teir 1 tho. I’m on normal difficulty. I enjoy this style a lot but...

@MM

it feels like some of the melee swings are going around zombies and hitting the stuff behind them. The best strategy I’ve found for always getting head shots is by aiming for the neck and swinging while backing up. Is it by design that the critical spot for melee is at a certain distance away from the zombie? This really becomes an issue if I get cornered and my swings are missing the zombies entirely.

But all in all I’m am loving this alpha. Thank you tfp. I haven’t even found the books to craft different types of arrows other than AP arrows. So much to do still, loving it.

The idea is to allow people to get started specializing right away allowing them to craft a primitive gun on day 1. We'd need primitive versions of everything to pull it off, and then push out finding real guns at all until level 10 or so. We have it working with melee weapons for the most part, but I'm not sure it really needs to happen with firearms. We'd need pipe rifles, pipe machineguns, pipe pistols and some kind of potato gun for the int guy to pull it off. It could be cool though. Probably get rid of blunderbuss ammo and just use regular ammo for all primitive fire arms.

It might happen when we get bandits in the game too or make sense when they come.

I get what you're saying with 'pipe', but could possibly use a single shot Shotgun (or even make it 20 gauge instead of 12) for Shotgunners.

Maybe a 2-shot 9mm derringer for Pistoleers

Or for everyone maybe a Shark Spear/Bangstick could be a fun one. Single .357/.44/12g shell at the tip triggered by contact.

https://www.billsbangsticks.com/

Feathers need a buff (finding more of them in nests) and I don't even like using the bows.

Compared to guns and ammo it seems like an unnecessary nerf.

I love that we can go guns blazing from the start but I know some users prefer the bows.

Vulture harvesting is not really viable unless you live in or are in close proximity to a desert.

Forget about using the bow on early game hordes too, just not enough arrows, even if you harvest vultures.

Edit: you also reduced the nests out in the wild, which is... insane when coupled with reduced feathers.

What are you talking about? I'm swimming in feathers.. Try walking 10 m in the desert without tripping over a birdnest..

If anything, I think they should be reduced even more :)

Yes. Archery lost its appeal this patch.

From a standpoint of realism, using a club, spear or metal rod would be the most meaningful cheap and effective defense anyone can come up with. So it does make sense currently in the early game.

In primitive warfare, bows where less common. They where primarily a hunting instrument. Making a proper war bow is hard to make and operate.

Archived