Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Okay ill admit that even at 10 FPS outside this is still the best update ever and I am having a blast mainly inside of my base.

LOL... thanks I guess? I think we'll have several improvements rolling out, we know of two issues for sure and are working on solving them.

hello Madmole, good job with this alpha, testing the especialization of explosives i have a problem,the unique explosive with block damage is a dynamite but the cardbrige of dynamite what can your place has been eliminated, Now only you can throw dnamite , if you want crash a wall

the result is that you break the floor with the wall. please return the cardbrige of dynamite placeable.

1.png

2.png

Use timed charges, I'm not sure why we even have dynamite in there yet.

Leave the damage the same on glancing blows and just add ragdoll to them. Heavy weapons should at least be able to knock them over, even if it doesn't hurt.

Yeah we need impact feedback, you wack them and they dont even flinch sometimes and it takes away the thump and that feeling of connectivity...

The settings that i have finalized to both in game and nvidia's globals (mine is a 2070), that work for me now ThAnKs to some members from the community/forums, helped get me to more than i expected fps (~90). Admittedly i started with 4k res which was causing issues in the snow biome at night 8-12 fps, I reduced to 2k and that similar night setting, improved a bit (20-24fps) , and lastly lowered to 1080p (with applicable settings) -- if this helps anyone great, otherwise my apologies for extra text. And just so Faatal sees i took his advice with the texture streaming this alpha LOL..

Back to gaming :)

Beware, although spoilered, image is big (and blurry in areas)

n9jw1VY.jpg

After reading all this, looks like what they understand as a MF and what we think is a MF is WAYYYY off......

If you change you graphics settings back and forth you eventually at all textures to be black with black shadows (different hue black shadows)...

Yes FPS is annoying to complain about, but when the Hype train is driven by someone who says performance is a HUGE increase the whole time its being driven, and then when it finally stops to pick up the general public and not just the VIP, well then the train goes slower, people notice that the tables in the dining cart were really never that clean, and the food is abysmal.

Point being: Hype train should of never left the station without a proper inspection

It ran better than 17 for everyone at the office. Aside from buying 500 used computers and testing it on them there is no way we could have spotted this. This is what experimental and even EA is for. People are treating experimental like its beta and EA like its gold.

Re: The mining helmet talk.

Since we can mod a light onto other helms, trying to determine if using a mining helmet has any other advantages.

Any advantages to using a mining helmet besides the light?

If no one knows of any advantages, maybe make the mining helmet have almost zero armor BUT the helmet grants +(something) to mining AND the light does not generate as much heat signature as a normal helmet modded light.

Would just be good to see:

1. Mining helmets useful

2. Unique purpose

3. Not used for armor purposes (so the player has to make a choice)

Its fine as is. Mining lights do not generate heat but zombies can see you in the dark when its on. It may or may not have a better rating than your current head gear. Down the road there might be a legendary one in loot called Herb's Mining Helmet that gives you mining bonuses.

Hyped less? Other than the video Madmole posted and the streamer weekend what hyping did they do? Most of the hyping I saw was people screaming 'release the kracken' on the message boards. Personally I think that because so many people jumped all over installing an experimental build says something about the previous work of the Pimps that leads to such a dedicated fevor from the players in trust that the Pimps are building a good game.

While they could have found a way to test on wider range of systems or managed to limit the experimental to a smaller group of people at first, I have no complaints about how things have been handled so far.

Even all the streamers experienced no lag or we wouldn't have released it.

how did you get it to stay so high? I have a rtx 2080 so basically the same as a 2070 super, yet had SOOO many issues, It may be cause im 21:9 at 3440x1440 though

- - - Updated - - -

or that I have gsync on as well...help me senpai

You can't run 3440 cut it down to 1920 or so.

Game's really fun, performance outside is a bit better now that I disabled SSAO (I also have medium settings, 16:9 resolution lower than native, no AA). Indoors are still running amazing.

I'm getting my ass kicked in the game, when I'm playing on the newly lower default difficulty. Zombies, animals, infection, starvation, food poisoning all are beating me up. It is very fun however, I still only managed to die only once, but there were A LOT of times when I was really near death. It was super hard to get fed and not thirsty after vomiting from eating yucca fruit, I have finally managed to get full and not thirsty at all by drinking some vitamins and eating lots of yucca fruit.

This is definitely an Alpha where the survival mechanics get to shine, I rarely had to care about starvation and food poisoning, and now I have to. 7 Days to Die is a really, really good game now. Can't seem to escape the Desert, Burnt Forest and Wasteland, but hopefully I will soon find a Forest. And there's so much to do I still didn't manage to do a single quest, and I'm halfway through Day 4 now.

Snakes are kind of hard to hit, however, and they clip a lot into blocks, not sure if this is a bug so not putting in a bug report about this.

There were also some minor visual bugs and prop hitbox issues, but I think these will get fixed. Bull skulls getting destroyed into pebbles looks weird, these might need a different destroy animation.

Just a week ago people were trying to say we turned it into a shooter and all the survival elements were gone :) Like I said its more of a survival game than ever IMO. Snakes are still janky hopefully we can improve them soon.

Even all the streamers experienced no lag or we wouldn't have released it.

Streamers aren't testers though. I'm sure most of them wouldn't notice their beastly pc's underperforming as long as it pumped out >50 fps.

I been lucky in my recent game and I have tons of food. Tins a plenty, then wolves and pigs showed up and one town alone has provided over 150 meat.

Day 9 and not been sick once yet.

I may be fine for the next 30 days maybe beyond not sure... :)

I don't feel like late game food will be a problem but it might take a few weeks before you feel comfortable as it should.

You can't run 3440 cut it down to 1920 or so.

MM: I have an Ultra-wide Acer Predator that is native at 3440 x 1440. And a potato pc. I get 40 FPS outside. And I am willing to live with the FPS rate to get my ultra-wide 3440. (btw - There are NO other 21:9 settings available. All others switch to 16:9 with either black bars (or windowed) or a stretched image.)

For those who don't understand:

Experimental release it's about giving (those who are interested in bug-spotting and testing) a chance to try out the new alpha 18, if you're trying it you should be patient since it's still in development and NOT YET OUT, you should give useful information, feedback and bug reports to TFP so they can do their best to fix them before A18 stable is released. Even then, they can do new builds to fix those bugs or performance issues that are not yet discovered. Per example A17.4 played greatly better than A17exp in every aspect.

I actually thought a lot of people WERE providing useful feedback related to their FPS problems...people were coming in here and sharing various tips that might help narrow down the cause as well as offer temporary band-aids so they can get enough frames to test the actual gameplay. That's kinda the whole point of EXP isn't it? You're SUPPOSED to let them know you have a problem, now is the time.

It almost seems as though the people who happen to be lucky enough not to have any FPS issues are annoyed by those seeking help and tired of reading about it..Well, if that is the case..it says more about you then them.

Maybe I missed a snide comment or something in this thread - it's the internet..of course there's gonna be a few things said here and there..nothing's perfect..but I thought for the most part - the people in this thread were being rather cordial and helpful with each other. Until now...

Considering I've happened to talk about performance problems in this thread a few times in order to get the game working well enough so my family can play on our machines, I can't help but think that all you are pointing fingers at me..Well, don't let me pull you off your little horses..Just don't read what I write.

Besides..who put you in charge of moderating the discussions in this forum? Leave that to those who are actually responsible for doing it. If someone breaks a rule - it will get taken care of by them. They don't need you playing Barney Fife.

@madmole

Do mods no longer have base effects on armor/tool/weapon stats? Or do they just not show in the item stat window? In A17, if I recall correctly, it would show you the changes just having a mod would have, but I'm not seeing that in A18, even for non-cosmetic changes like a scope or bipod (using hunting rifle)

Every time you change your settings without reloading the game completely is probably just trying to cram everything into VRAM multiple times.

Yes we need to clear that crap from memory properly, its on the list. Until then, exit the game and restart it from scratch after you change settings.

Archived