Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

When you're modelling a particular area of the planet? Yes, the relevant design choices should at least bear in mind the reality behind the simulation you're trying to create.

Which census would they use? I don't think anyone knows what year TFP has 7D2D taking place yet. A lot can happen in the story world TFP decides to create for the game.

It's going to be whatever TFP decides it's going to be. For anything. For everything.

Unless Arizonan's can carry more stone than anywhere/anyone else... (I suspect DaVega would move there if that were the case...)

@madmole

I am really excited for A18! I am reading the three tier weapons for different classes but Iآ’m concerned about blades weapons. Iآ’ve always been a fan and using a machete seemed really fun in 7 days to die but it just seems really lack luster. I also know that the axe counts as a blades weapon too and I could use that but I would hope for something more powerful but also badass like a Scythe or something. No matter what happens though I am still hyped.

There seemed to be several employees you where unhappy about... not actually showing enough performance, or just different visions?

People come and go for a variety of reasons. That is the game dev business. Every game team I've worked with, you have the under performers, over performers and people in the middle.

Hah, I see where this is going. When we do the spear, a thrown axe will be possible.
So can we assume that the spear will have a thrust and alternative throwing action? In that case it should be non breaking when thrown (just wearing off, and stick like the arrows), and make the splayer stand empty handed.

In reality, spears would be pretty overpowered compared to most other melee weapon. In contrast to movies, they where a primary weapon, with sworts serving as backups and status symbols.

We've lost 3 staff and fired 3 in 6 years, so that is pretty good. Working remotely takes a special talent. You have to be very self motivated and a good problem solver and communicator. Some guys can't function or thrive in that environment. I think its clear what a motivated guy can do, in less than a year Faatal redid the minibike 10x better with actual physics and added 4 other vehicles, AND redid all the AI and pathing and a bunch of other stuff.

I think you guys will be amazed at what we achieve moving forward, fixing the framework to all those old broken systems that held us back has us in a great spot. We're able to add new content now much easier. It was just too much stuff for one build and had some bad timing on the perk system, but I'll get it sorted out. I'm really excited to test A18.

Since you can add content much easier now. Can you add a trophy holder or something can display items in wall? I really want to display my rare gun and other achievement items in my base or build a store with many displays A18 or feature Aplhas.

I'm not really sure what makes you sad. There are too many zombies in POIS, they need to be thinned a bit. We're doing about a 20% reduction, so instead of 10 there are 8. Instead of 100 there are 80. If optimizations go well, then we'll add more outdoors. Whats not to like? There were only 14 billion complaints about too many zombies in pois, and we agreed with them.

I like to think that zombie spawn placement would be logical and that some would be in rooms baracaded up like.

As cool that it is to have zombies breaking out of the wall closets (most flood out the house with one gun shot anyways) I don't quite see the logic why they be in wall closets to begin with.

Unless there was a mass end of the world hide and seek challenge going on. Hahahaha

Yeah sure, tell that to the millions of grandma's that tell us to bundle up or we'll catch a cold. A runny nose from being in lower temperatures can happen, and you have germs on your hand you wipe your nose and boom, infected. So while the temperature isn't directly related to catching a cold, the runny nose from being cold opens up the gateways to catching stuff.

Obviously, you've spent too much time in Florida or indoors for the winter. Plus, that is a myth how to catch a cold.

When you're modelling a particular area of the planet? Yes, the relevant design choices should at least bear in mind the reality behind the simulation you're trying to create.

That being said... America having more guns per square foot than anywhere else on the planet is as much a cliche as measurable fact. If an American company wants to parody their own culture then I'm all for it :-)

I hated gun parts.

Guns would be easy to find and they would not be in pieces unless you are looting a gun factory. They often would not have accessories on them, so you would be adding sights, scopes, silencers and such, hence the mod slots. You use up ammo, so that would be more important, since a gun without ammo is pretty useless.

We're not bringing back log spikes. Mod them in, its about 3 lines of code.

But the cone form as a design element comes back or ? This form was always very popular when it came to creating a look similar to the the trader outpost in the green biome in Navezgane.

havent seen this yet. happy to be corrected. been married so used to that.

bayonette as a mod slot option

alt key to stab vs normal for bang

look to history for its effectiveness

fishing for the next 10 days so see ya later. tuna dolphin fish and yellow tail kingfish all on the radar

woo hoo!!!!

Which census would they use? I don't think anyone knows what year TFP has 7D2D taking place yet. A lot can happen in the story world TFP decides to create for the game.

It's going to be whatever TFP decides it's going to be. For anything. For everything.

Unless Arizonan's can carry more stone than anywhere/anyone else... (I suspect DaVega would move there if that were the case...)

Given the lack of mobile phones, home computers and hybrid vehicles I'd say they were simulating 1989 :-)

^ Before anyone else makes the mistake of taking me too seriously the obvious anachronism would be the massive flat-screen tv's.

Simulation (noun)

the imitative representation of the functioning of one system or process by means of the functioning of another.

The Met Office has been simulating the Earth's weather with increasing accuracy over the years but they still haven't added a single tree. It's still a simulation even if many details are generalized and sub-systems simplified.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/how-forecasts-are-made/computer-models/history-of-numerical-weather-prediction

That would be the garbage collector causing the hitches. We're upgrading to Unity 2019 at some point, which will allow us to declare exactly WHEN to do garbage collection, like when there are no zombies near and you are in the menu, or AFK.

There are other ways too. Like preallocation and recycling of objects. Basically when the game loads you allocate all the objects you may need, and when you want to get rid of one, you just put it aside to be used again later, if needed. This prevents dynamic allocation and stops the need for garbage collection when the game is running. The downside is it's harder to implement.

and Tomahawks do throw VERY well ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28181[/ATTACH]

Practically a gun with very expensive ammunition. :cocksure:

As cool that it is to have zombies breaking out of the wall closets (most flood out the house with one gun shot anyways) I don't quite see the logic why they be in wall closets to begin with.

Rationalization: When zombies get no food they hibernate in small dark places, like animals. it's just instinct

I miss the old POIs. I like the new dungeon POIs, but not the way it currently is. Makes no sense really, sure some places being like that is fine. I think it's silly for 90% of the POIs to be like that though, since many folks would simply run away from the zed zones. I see the dungeon POIs as a place that was once inhabited by survivors who gathered together, and put traps and blockades to stop/slow zombies. We come along to find everyone has been turned or died, and so we clear it out and get all the loot we can carry. The old POIs were like homes and places that were abandoned in a mad dash rush for military protected shelters. Then there's bomb shelters and bunkers, which were hidden from plain sigh to avoid detection. Underground government facilities, cant forget those. These places werent really a maze to get into, just really well barricaded. Unfortinately, the survivors within died. Maybe illness, maybe someone who hid their infection until they turned on the others?

I just feel that a careful mixture of non-dungeon and dungeon style POIs is something to look forward to, for immersion. I already know why survivor camps have no survivors lol! The zombies walked in through the giant holes in their walls, they should have blocked up the crossbars on the side.

I thought I did too. Then I looted an old apartment building.

It is amazing how empty and basic the old prefabs feel now. They are boring to go through.

I thought I did too. Then I looted an old apartment building.

It is amazing how empty and basic the old prefabs feel now. They are boring to go through.

They are boring not because they are not dungeons. They simply dont have the same level of detail as the new dungeon POIs.

The new POIs look like a lot more work went into them (and had a lot more options for visual variations abailable).

But that aproach would also improve the classic non restrictive buildings.

Yeah sure, tell that to the millions of grandma's that tell us to bundle up or we'll catch a cold. A runny nose from being in lower temperatures can happen, and you have germs on your hand you wipe your nose and boom, infected. So while the temperature isn't directly related to catching a cold, the runny nose from being cold opens up the gateways to catching stuff.

Yep. All temperature sways do is lower the body's immune system to allow things like a cold to really take hold. A cold is a virus and doesn't just appear.

What you could do is make us more susceptible to getting ZOMBIE infected in the cold climates, and that could be done via buffs with the current system... if cold then infection chance is +10 or something. =)

Yep. All temperature sways do is lower the body's immune system to allow things like a cold to really take hold. A cold is a virus and doesn't just appear.

What you could do is make us more susceptible to getting ZOMBIE infected in the cold climates, and that could be done via buffs with the current system... if cold then infection chance is +10 or something. =)

Lower temperatures also cause some viruses to reproduce more rapidly. Such is the case with rhinoviruses, which are related to common colds.

https://healthcareinamerica.us/can-cold-weather-give-you-a-cold-1c3f1abbbf4e

Lower temperatures also cause some viruses to reproduce more rapidly. Such is the case with rhinoviruses, which are related to common colds.

https://healthcareinamerica.us/can-cold-weather-give-you-a-cold-1c3f1abbbf4e

They also have a cool name, as far as viruses go.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to point out that the LITERALLY NO ONE forums title is held by literally two people.

Something I have been 'researching' - how I feel about LBD. (I believe it's possible to just get used to something, and not feeling 'good' about changes...)

To that end, I have been playing Enderal. Enderal is a total rewrite for Skyrim. If A16 and earlier are Skyrim, then A17+ are Enderal. Enderal has no LBD, all skills (perks) MUST be purchased by buying books. (Meaning all experience is pooled, and you decide how you want to 'spend').

I think they both have positives and negatives, and play just fine. It's just managing expectations.

Like the expectation for the next release.

And, I won't ask for anything, just letting you know - I'M DYING HERE WAITING!

(And I would never resort to hyperbole or rhetoric...)

; - )

I'm over all really happy with how far you all have grown, and look forward to the next product you all release. I just float ideas, suggestions, and just rely how I see it. I will always want more, more, more, but even I know at some point you need to move on to the next big thing.

Just from my perspective.. In the beginning I will use anything to get me going, I don't really focus on a preferred style. It's not till after the first day7 event that I really try to RP and spec a role for the game I'm playing.

That's not a big deal currently, but if we did bring back LBD, it would be a big problem not being able to level heavy metal until you find a club, or whatever skill you want to focus on. Also those perks points are sitting there I kind of want to try out different weapons to see if I like the handling before I buy a perk, so stone version allows that.

Archived