Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

To be honest for me all 5 points are false.

1. Was not stupid and made sense that people also find Gunparts and not only assembled Guns. Also its not bad slowing people down to have on day 2 a Safe full of Guns cause it seems every House, Dungeon, Store was the last base for a Group of Soldiers.

2. Really? Dont think so we had no Issues on our Server with Gun Parts and new Players , was easy to explain and not really confusing . ok possible it is confusing for the "new" gamers this people only know how to play Social Games on a Smartphone or in Facebook.

3. Really? To be honest for me its the most stupid thing that every mod also if its only a different color add Damage to a Weapon that makes no sense and i would call it a really Easy and Lazy Way to have Weapon Mods withouth really thinking about it.

4. Also with parts there would be no need to Repair part by part. Part is broken so repair the gun not the part or exchange the part with a not broken one. The Current System i would not really call it fine it works yes but fine for me woudl be with parts with quality values so a Gun Quality gets up or down with the quality of the parts.

5. Random Ranges? You talk about random ranges for the damage values? if yes then no it does not need that to become interersting.

To make Weapons mods really interesting it would need more as only Damage DAmage Damage and more Damage for each Mod.

it woudl need mods with differnt effects.

Mod 1 woudl raise Damage

Mod 2 would give better handling

Mod 3 would give higher range but reduce Damage

Mod 4 ......

This would make Mods for Weapons interesting and People would have to think a little bit which Mods they add or craft for the different Weapons in this game.

Before i bought this game some years ago i read about it and thought its really a nice Game with some great ideas . The Game is still nice but it the great Ideas for me it looks like this great ideas more and more are removed from the game to make it more and more like a Skyrim, Fallout or Ark Game with Zombies and voxels.

So just copy fallout 4 then? TBH most of that crap was meh except damage. Range was ok. So there are 3 mods, now what?

Finding gun parts might have been an ok game mechanic, but from a realism standpoint it sucked. Hey dude have you seen my shotgun barrel? I seemed to have misplaced it. It was overcomplicated mess. We're not done yet, I'm sure we'll land on something good. I'm not a fan of damage on every mod either, I just need a full alpha to redesign mods that are interesting that don't do damage.

Thank you for the support. Whats wrong with some old school tell it like it is honest truth? Beats snake oil marketing IMO.

With that being said. Are we still on track to have 17.3, 17.4 and 18 released by the end of June as previously advertised? That's essentially 11 weeks?

And thats the interesting thing , you say none of your gamer group would touch teh game until gunparts system was removed.

The people who play on my server and also others in my Friendlist hate that gunparts system is gone and wish it would come back.

and exactly thats the reason why i think it would be great if the pimps simply keep both systems and add a toggle in the server xml files and client menu for sp games. Or offer a way to add back this gunpart system with modding, cause currently you can add back gun parts as parts for crafting but gun quality stil has nothing to do with the part quality.

Sorry but it needs to be accessible. The original system with clay molds, nobody but a couple of us that worked on it actually knew how to make guns. It was too complicated. Then we did the find the parts thing, but it was too complicated to assemble and repair. I think we're where it needs to be now, but we need to look at mods and random values found on guns, and what does quality mean. Then we'll have something pretty good IMO.

Yeah sure, tell that to the millions of grandma's that tell us to bundle up or we'll catch a cold. A runny nose from being in lower temperatures can happen, and you have germs on your hand you wipe your nose and boom, infected. So while the temperature isn't directly related to catching a cold, the runny nose from being cold opens up the gateways to catching stuff.

We need a nose drip icon to match the butt drip icon for dysentery. :)

We are reducing counts indoors. If we can get performance up I can add more zombies outside.

I acknowledge that performance is pretty bad, at times hellacious, but also I've not personally seen it tied to zombie count. Sure, yes, horde nights and such FPS dips - to be expected - but I've also seen a 100-count frame build in my queue go ting-ting-ting-pause-ting-tingting-pause as something else - with no zombies around - chokes the system every x-amount of seconds or so. And solar panels and pressure plates are HELLISH on performance.

That said, I installed a mod to add wandering hordes of 32 zombies and see NO performance drop from them (and it's a thing of beauty, btw to get stuck in a building with one of these hordes pouring inside: gadamn!)

My point being, I don't think zombie volume is as much as a hit as several other things that cause much greater lag.

Appreciate everything you are working on, and *looks at game counter* I now think 7dtd is my most played game in my game list :)

1 - That's your entire game design though; you're already preventing players from doing feats, from finding good loot and from fighting hard creatures, so your argument isn't really consistent with the rest of the game. =) That being said, I'm fine with parts being taken out, but NOT quality levels. And sure, sure, yes we have quality levels, but they mean /nothing/ without mods, and by the time you can make/use mods you can make the weapons to USE them, so it's a wash. There is zero excitement level. You removed an entire mechanic ("real" quality) for the sake of what net gain? Mods would have been an interesting value add, but they're worthless as a replacement system. And yeh, you got a borderlands guy, so it's easy to see where you're going with this, but in the interim it's pretty "meh".

2 - Not too much confusion over that one; it was just like literally every other recipe.

3 - That's simply not true. Like, even a little bit.

4 - Agreed, at least on the repairing parts issue. We still repair items, so I don't know where you're going with that... hell I never need a new stone axe, I just use up a rock on the same one from day 1 to day 1000.

5 - Agreed, that would be an interesting thing to add, but a lot of times you guys "add" things, you're also taking something away, so the net gain of 0 is frustrating to your current player base.

...also, you don't get to say "given that everything I said is true" in a debate. =) Here, let me try: "Given everything I said is factual, you should design the game how I want it to be designed". See? Not a great argument. =)

And God, please will someone put a filter on the word "fallout" for the forum? I'm pretty sure I bought 7 Days to Die, not ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, and it was a very fun game until it started trying to replicate ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Now it's just a clone of a bunch of other games that don't mesh well together.

I already stated that we're going to be looking at guns, quality, mods and random stats for A19. I don't like part, I was never on board with all mods increasing damage, it was just too much work to do guns, mods and a perk system. Hopefully A18 resolves perks. We're adding back reasons to loot with top tier weapons being find only or craft with a schematic like mods, and pinks are never craftable. It SHOULD be pretty kickass by A19.

Our original Pre Kickstarter elevator design was a survival game where fallout meets the walking dead in a minecraft tech voxel world, so deal with it. It doesn't mean fallout in the sense of power armor and future/retro vibe, it just means an open world RPG. We'll work the kinks out. I was doing art while we hired a guy for design, and sadly that turned out to be a mistake. I've retired from art 100%, so the game play is now all mine but its going to take time to correct everything. I think A18 will be huge improvements and 19 will be amazing.

Obviously you missed the memo about having three tiers of every weapon class. Stone sledge craftable in the first minute of the game will be good for sledge players. Now go file those TPS reports this Sunday at 8 am.

I don't think it's so much of missing the memo of what you want to establish. It's more of, not seeing the need in having tiers for stone tools and weapons. Unless you are adding different types of stone/wood you can use in the game craft with? That would make sense in having tiers for them then, or you all, are actually going to set things up in such a way that you will be stuck with stone items for a longer period of time in the game.

It just seems counter intuitive, to want to hold onto them, when any poi you visit, has a chance to give you something better well within the first day of the game.

As it is, stone tools/weapons, just seems to relegate themselves as being a last resort, or starting items, but nothing you would want to stick with for any length of time. Basically, they are throw away items that you get rid of as soon as possible, for the more useful items.

I already stated that we're going to be looking at guns, quality, mods and random stats for A19. I don't like part, I was never on board with all mods increasing damage, it was just too much work to do guns, mods and a perk system. Hopefully A18 resolves perks. We're adding back reasons to loot with top tier weapons being find only or craft with a schematic like mods, and pinks are never craftable. It SHOULD be pretty kickass by A19.

Our original Pre Kickstarter elevator design was a survival game where fallout meets the walking dead in a minecraft tech voxel world, so deal with it. It doesn't mean fallout in the sense of power armor and future/retro vibe, it just means an open world RPG. We'll work the kinks out. I was doing art while we hired a guy for design, and sadly that turned out to be a mistake. I've retired from art 100%, so the game play is now all mine but its going to take time to correct everything. I think A18 will be huge improvements and 19 will be amazing.

Hell yeah to all the design choices since a17, as Kage848 once said about 18's books : " that's straight up thinkin' out of the box". It seems to be a snowball of rainbows from now on. Nevertheless I wonder if the half year mark is a bit too early of a deadline for stable a18? Don't mind me, I enjoy dying once or twice a day on insane because of stupid choices . Might beat the death achievement in no time.

Sorry but it needs to be accessible. The original system with clay molds, nobody but a couple of us that worked on it actually knew how to make guns. It was too complicated. Then we did the find the parts thing, but it was too complicated to assemble and repair. I think we're where it needs to be now, but we need to look at mods and random values found on guns, and what does quality mean. Then we'll have something pretty good IMO.

Just a thought on things quality would make sense to affect (not that you haven't thought of some of these but just tossing out stuff):

1) Random stat ranges. So maybe a particular stat will have a base range of 1-10 and you could throw in there maybe something like making the range 1+2*quality to 10+2*quality. Adjust the math of course based on how much overlap you would want in random ranges for various quality levels.

2) Durability, like always

3) Reliability. What if instead of a steady wear and knowing exactly when it will cease functioning you had a chance of failure range. (like a misfire or gun jamming) where say lowest quality might start with a 1 or 2% chance of failure at max durability up to say 95% chance of failure at 0 durability. Pink level could start with 0% chance of failure for a beginning range of durability (say no chance of failure at 100%-75% durability) with a 50% chance of failure at 0 durability. I could see this being implemented with all tools and not just weapons for that matter. (Hey my axe head is loose, it will come off at some point but not sure which wack). Granted, I have no idea if this would be difficult to implement into your current code.

Hell yeah to all the design choices since a17, as Kage848 once said about 18's books : " that's straight up thinkin' out of the box". It seems to be a snowball of rainbows from now on. Nevertheless I wonder if the half year mark is a bit too early of a deadline for stable a18? Don't mind me, I enjoy dying once or twice a day on insane because of stupid choices . Might beat the death achievement in no time.

Anything not ready will get pushed to the next Alpha. They’ll be ready with plenty. :)

So just copy fallout 4 then? TBH most of that crap was meh except damage. Range was ok. So there are 3 mods, now what?

Finding gun parts might have been an ok game mechanic, but from a realism standpoint it sucked. Hey dude have you seen my shotgun barrel? I seemed to have misplaced it. It was overcomplicated mess. We're not done yet, I'm sure we'll land on something good. I'm not a fan of damage on every mod either, I just need a full alpha to redesign mods that are interesting that don't do damage.

I think 7days to die already start to copy more and more Mechanics from other Games and "force" them into this game.

You say it sucked from a realism standpoint, ok lets talk about realism ;)

How realistic is it to find more Guns as everythign else all working not broken or only junk same for ammo?

The amount of Weapons you canfind in ALpha 17 really thats enough for entire Armies.

And currently its like "hej dude have you seen my supermighty radremover mod for my weapon?" That makes not much sense too right?

And i know you are not done with this game and i still hope it will not only add more and more easy mode mechanics or Additions like some sort of (in my opinion) Cheat items like Magazines boosting your Skills (Fallout Heads ;)) .

And with the Mods, i would like to see not so many "strange" mods like a Rad remover to stop Regeneration of a zombie that sounds for me really little bit to much Science Fiction for a Zomibe Survival game.

and one Question Madmole and i hope you can give me a answer to that also if its a Nope not possible.

Is it possible with the current Modding Options for this game to bring back the old way to assemble a gun from Parts and the Parts Quality is used to get a Quality for teh finished gun or is that simply impossible . Cause if yes i dont need to continue to find a Solution for that ,)

I'm assuming your talking about spikes that do more damage, and not the ugly aesthetics of the log spikes?

One thing that I miss about the log spikes is that they don't take damage unless they are hit by something. All the ones still in the game damage very fast, including the ones made of forged iron.

They also break very fast.

I don’t mind the zany mods at all. Very unrealistic but not to the point where it destroys the feel of the game. Honestly, some more reminders that this game is not about ultra-realism would be good. Don’t get me wrong... I often dislike ideas that are cartoony for this game, but I don’t feel like weapon mods bring us into that realm.

We are reducing counts indoors. If we can get performance up I can add more zombies outside.

This makes me very sad. With the limited numbers of outside zombies and the fact that when you clear a region of zombies they never return to the same population as before clearing them, the only real zombie risk is in poi’s. If I can alter a Christopher Walken quote “We need more zombies”. Don’t listen to the whining.....zombie numbers inside are just fine, heck I wouldn’t mind even more. Or maybe make poi zombie count configurable?? This is the best zombie game ever, keep the focus on them. Thanks for all you do.

When it comes to the topic of gun parts and the A17 system, I don't miss the gun parts but I'm not a big fan of the schematics either. I would like the see the ability to make guns and mods a perk that you can use anytime as long as you have the parts and perk. But make some new parts that are needed that can work in a few guns/mods, like the vehicles are now with engines and batteries. Like a gun barrel will be needed to make any of the guns but be hard to find. Or you need a battery to make lights, lasers, and sights but they are scavenged from lamps and small electronics and found as often as car batteries. Lock these rare parts behinds Lucky Looter and lock the mods behind individual categories instead of tears. So one perk could be the ability to craft all scopes another to craft all armor storage mods.

Maybe this was mentioned before and I didn't see it but I feel like this would be a realistic and less chaotic was to build guns and mods.

Also add a semi-auto shotgun like a Spas-12 or AA-12 please.

Archived