Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No all the fallout haters would rage if we add one more thing Bethesda does good :)

Ohw Ok. How about adding more base defenses, like sand bags, tank traps with sharp edges that can impale zombies, burning barrels with spikes, anti riot barbed wire fences, concrete baarrier and a stationary gun?

And I can tell that you still underestimate your player base.

Your game is successful and played alot because it was difficult, required intelligence and wasn't a generic console button smasher.

No, I know good design and over design. 10 things to think about when entering a biome? Over design. 3 is almost always the magic number for everything. I mean, sure there can be 10 things different about a biome, but 10 things to prepare for? Overkill.

Speaking of which, In that explanation Burnt Forest sounds like clutter. In my humble opinion Burnt should be a dangerous Forest Sub-biome (as it is but smaller) with burning Zs and burning piles and with a desert-like sweating buff. In fact, one sub-biome per every biome with dangerous yet rewarding stuff would be very cool and add a nice variety to the world (like, a subbiome of Ice or Glaciers for the Snow Biome even colder and more dangerous than the snow with huge random modular cave POIs with wolfs and Bears and mountain lions and mass hysteria- as per kickstarter goal-).

Or a desert Sub-Biome with Snake pitts and Poisonous Chemical Barrels that emit poisonous particles when close and are destroyable and therefore cleanable.

Or a Wasteland sub-biome of Heavy radiation (-even more than the Wasteland- ) that only the most protected fools would cross and obtain the best loot of all the Wasteland with Radiated Only enemies.

Sounds like a Pimp Dream, Is it though?

LOL, Inside my brain now.

I've been pushing for special hazards and harder biomes for years, Nav might be big enough now to pull it off, but we have to weigh that with all our other goals and people seem to dislike changes. Everyone would have to spawn in a forest, and its kind of nice spawning anywhere, but if we made it too hard we couldn't do that.

Love this game. I like the creativity, survival, and customization. I like to play using player created prefabs and mods. After playing a bit with آ“Flooded,آ” I would love to see the game take off exponentially with a systematized game support for adding player created prefabs, custom worlds, and mod content. That way, players could play unlimited custom worlds without the Fun Pimps having to design everything like in Navezgane.

The goal is workshop support and you can download a POI and it is added to the list of possible spawned pois seamlessly, so you can have endless POIs.

It's your game, do whatever YOU (tfp) want. Do have in count "hating" is a fad now.

I know I was poking fun at the Fallout haters. We do what we want. Hate has always been a thing. To be successful you have to delete haters and negativity from your life. I mean, learn from it if the comments have some merit, but then delete and keep moving forward.

I know I was poking fun at the Fallout haters. We do what we want. Hate has always been a thing. To be successful you have to delete haters and negativity from your life. I mean, learn from it if the comments have some merit, but then delete and keep moving forward.

Exactly. Well said.

Ohw Ok. How about adding more base defenses, like sand bags, tank traps with sharp edges that can impale zombies, burning barrels with spikes, anti riot barbed wire fences, concrete baarrier and a stationary gun?

We have spikes that impale zombies, and barbed wire fences already. You can craft concrete walls, half walls, etc, and we have auto turrets. Fire barrels don't seem to interest me. Sorry it feels like we've already got you covered well, these are all fluff requests that don't add anything meaningful. I'd rather see a flamethrower trap or bear traps that turn them to crawlers and you have to reset the bear traps and repair them after some uses.

In the game Outlast the hiding mecanics like go under a bed are obligatory in order to survive.. It is posible to put things like this in 7 days? I Will be a funny way to use the refrigerator. XD

No not really, inside a voxel is typically void space where you would fall through the world.

Well just remember when you throw it you are unarmed until you pick it up. Reality and random perception of how it should be vs how we do it are two different things. Its nice to ground in reality as much as you can, but at the end of the day it has to balance out somehow. I envision it as having really great range and doing decent damage, but the perception guy doesn't get any health or armor or stamina so it might be the strongest out of the box melee weapon, but attack speed might not be that great.

I don't like it anyways when someone brings up terms like "realism, realistic, in real life,..." here.

I mean, how realistic is it that you can craft a perfectly shaped/rectified cube shaped frame out of a raw chunk of wood with wour bare hands in under one second?

How realistic is it to cross a river swimming, while you are carrying a thousand buckets of wet concrete?

Dang, how realistic is it to wake up naked in the middle of a zombie apocalypse?

And how lame would it play it you couldn't?

Like madmole said, things have to work out/ feel right ingame. The goal has to be to create a nice and fun gameplay, thats what matters.

So please don't complain about "realism"

I know you want people to pick a play style and allow people to specialize in it. However, my concern with the books is you'll be able to be a kack of all trades, again. Would you consider only allowing the player to use a certain amount of books to unlock, so we would have to be strategic with which ones we unlock?

Single players need to be jacks of all trades.

Guys please make plains and mountains spawn more frequentely as it was in alpha 16. I know that plains are now subbiomes, but when i created some worlds they were all like one big forest and it was hard to check surrondings around myself. Best regards to you.

Guys please make plains and mountains spawn more frequentely as it was in alpha 16. I know that plains are now subbiomes, but when i created some worlds they were all like one big forest and it was hard to check surrondings around myself. Best regards to you.

You can check my alternative RWG in the Tools section here. It lets you set the parameters of the world as you like. (Mountains, deserts, forest, water, cities, roads ...)

We have spikes that impale zombies, and barbed wire fences already. You can craft concrete walls, half walls, etc, and we have auto turrets. Fire barrels don't seem to interest me. Sorry it feels like we've already got you covered well, these are all fluff requests that don't add anything meaningful. I'd rather see a flamethrower trap or bear traps that turn them to crawlers and you have to reset the bear traps and repair them after some uses.

Bear traps that pin a zombie for a little while then they break free as a crawler would be very cool. Could even tier them, with scrap then forged iron and finally steel. The scrap ones probably break after a single use, scrap being scrap. I would be sorely tempted early on to use my meager scrap reserves this way. I don't feel that with scrap spikes. Please makes this so!

5 to 10? I can tell you are still a Johnny Newcome to game design lol. I'd say 2-3 things would be plenty. Overdesign means confused players, harder to implement and more bugs, none of us benefit from that.

We're generally thinking everyone spawns in the pine forest and it is normal difficulty. Snow will be colder and have slower moving harder to kill zeds, and cold will make you shiver which burns through calories faster, so take lots of food and cold weather gear. Desert will make you hot so all the sweating will require a ton of water to drink, so bring a lot of water. Wasteland will be radiated, so bring hazmat and rad pills. Burnt smoke will lower stamina, so maybe bring coffee or stimulants. All non pine forest biomes would have increased game stage, so harder zombies and better loot. Radiated zone would be highest game stage modification.

You probably are but..

I hope you all are also working towards making the other biomes more compelling as well, so that the player wants to go to them on a regular basis, or wants to stay in them. The reward of doing so is currently fleeting and they are basically "one an done" areas you go to atm.

Just saying, the Pine forest is the only biome you really need to stay in, because you don't 'need' or 'compelled', to go anywhere else in the game.

Food is plentiful.

Water is a non-issue (for any biome).

Towns are generally the same in all biomes (so the loot you get from them is the same).

Even if you did make weather more of an issue (btw bring it!), the other biomes would still be rougher to live in, and still have no real reason to compel the player to go to them, except once.

Just more in depth reasoning as to why I think so (in spoiler):

For instance:

What do you have in the burnt forest, that is compelling enough for the player to go there?

I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason personally. While the atmospheric vibe I find pretty cool, and it's actually the easiest biome, as far as killing the zombies in, it has nothing that is really relevant for the player to go there. Unless you just want a change of scenery, or want a new town to loot.. and since the towns are basically the same in any biome atm (hopefully will change?!).. why go there?

How about the Snow Biome?

You have an unlimited water supply and a smattering of berries.. Why would I want to combat the weather all the time, and the tougher zombies? all I need is the seeds from the berries (that I can actually find in loot, or harvest the plant from, in some poi's in the pine forest) to bring back and start farming.. I can also gather enough snow from the biome to have enough water for a life time, and don't really need to go back anymore after the initial visit.

The desert?

Even with never fearing of going hungry in that biome (which is weird to me), once I get the seeds from the yucca and aloe plants (again, I can find them in loot containers or around certain pois to harvest from in the pine forest), why bother staying to combat the weather, when the pine forest is less of a hassle, and I can grow aloe and yucca in it?

Wasteland? minus just going there because..?

Not saying you don't have a plan to change any of this, but I hope you all do have a plan. As of right now, I have no reason to go to other biomes atm, or in the recent past of A16 till A17+ so far.

Eventually a new person who gets the game, in it's current state, and once the shininess wears off, they are going to quickly find the same thing. Hopefully they'll start just RP'ing a reason to visit them again, but even that only lasts for lil bit.

Even with that, If you are new to the game, and once you find out everywhere else is harder to live, and can still get everything in the Pine forest with less hassle? the question remains.. why go there?

Sorry, not bringing this up to side track on the thoughts or ideas you all want to implement (again, bring it!), just bringing it up, because it's kinda hard not to notice with the game atm.

I don't like it anyways when someone brings up terms like "realism, realistic, in real life,..." here.

I mean, how realistic is it that you can craft a perfectly shaped/rectified cube shaped frame out of a raw chunk of wood with wour bare hands in under one second?

How realistic is it to cross a river swimming, while you are carrying a thousand buckets of wet concrete?

Dang, how realistic is it to wake up naked in the middle of a zombie apocalypse?

And how lame would it play it you couldn't?

Like madmole said, things have to work out/ feel right ingame. The goal has to be to create a nice and fun gameplay, thats what matters.

So please don't complain about "realism"

Its nice to be grounded ideas in reality but wise not limit yourself to it.

Single players need to be jacks of all trades.

Wrong and even more wrong with Alpha 18, we are working towards being able to play with just one attribute. Of course one person's must haves are different than anothers. To me its time to roll a new character if I want to do more stuff. Perk wise one melee weapon, one ranged, one armor is good enough, and the rest are just optional complimentary perks.

You probably are but..

I hope you all are also working towards making the other biomes more compelling as well, so that the player wants to go to them on a regular basis, or wants to stay in them. The reward of doing so is currently fleeting and they are basically "one an done" areas you go to atm.

Just saying, the Pine forest is the only biome you really need to stay in, because you don't 'need' or 'compelled', to go anywhere else in the game.

Food is plentiful.

Water is a non-issue (for any biome).

Towns are generally the same in all biomes (so the loot you get from them is the same).

Even if you did make weather more of an issue (btw bring it!), the other biomes would still be rougher to live in, and still have no real reason to compel the player to go to them, except once.

Just more in depth reasoning as to why I think so (in spoiler):

For instance:

What do you have in the burnt forest, that is compelling enough for the player to go there?

I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason personally. While the atmospheric vibe I find pretty cool, and it's actually the easiest biome, as far as killing the zombies in, it has nothing that is really relevant for the player to go there. Unless you just want a change of scenery, or want a new town to loot.. and since the towns are basically the same in any biome atm (hopefully will change?!).. why go there?

How about the Snow Biome?

You have an unlimited water supply and a smattering of berries.. Why would I want to combat the weather all the time, and the tougher zombies? all I need is the seeds from the berries (that I can actually find in loot, or harvest the plant from, in some poi's in the pine forest) to bring back and start farming.. I can also gather enough snow from the biome to have enough water for a life time, and don't really need to go back anymore after the initial visit.

The desert?

Even with never fearing of going hungry in that biome (which is weird to me), once I get the seeds from the yucca and aloe plants (again, I can find them in loot containers or around certain pois to harvest from in the pine forest), why bother staying to combat the weather, when the pine forest is less of a hassle, and I can grow aloe and yucca in it?

Wasteland? minus just going there because..?

Not saying you don't have a plan to change any of this, but I hope you all do have a plan. As of right now, I have no reason to go to other biomes atm, or in the recent past of A16 till A17+ so far.

Eventually a new person who gets the game, in it's current state, and once the shininess wears off, they are going to quickly find the same thing. Hopefully they'll start just RP'ing a reason to visit them again, but even that only lasts for lil bit.

Even with that, If you are new to the game, and once you find out everywhere else is harder to live, and can still get everything in the Pine forest with less hassle? the question remains.. why go there?

Sorry, not bringing this up to side track on the thoughts or ideas you all want to implement (again, bring it!), just bringing it up, because it's kinda hard not to notice with the game atm.

I agree, they are more of a hassle than a must. There is the ore you might want exclusive to biomes. As we get closer to gold this is something we can shore up I'm sure.

Archived