Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'd like to see the game optimized so I can play it without crashing after 5 min. No troubles from 13 when i started playing til 16. !7 drops and the money spent for the game has now become a donation as I can no longer play it.

Post your problems, logs, and system specs in one of the support sub-forums and maybe someone can help you pinpoint the problem. A lot of people are playing A17 without game stopping issues.

You'll have that option, its called indoors. What your referring to is what pisses me off about it. Oh its raining I'll just change biomes and escape it. I want rain to drop the temperature and cause some issues. Maybe ruin some people's plans for the day like IRL. Stay home and craft/organize your stuff/work on your base that day instead of travel.

I had an instance in A15 or A16 where it rained for 73 straight days, hope that makes your day. Plant fiber clothing didn't help much either.

Will the distance for trader quests ever be adjusted? Especially tier 1.. Travelling 2+ km for tier one seems a bit off. Especially when some of those tier 1 quests want you travelling 5km. I know you said before trader quests are meant for when we have better transportation but tier 1 really seems like it would be the easiest type of beginner quest. I can understand tier 2 or higher requiring some type of transportation because of the distance into supposedly more dangerous areas but not tier 1.
It tries to pick the closest available dungeon that fits the criteria. I plan on doing some builder/gatherer quests that won't have a target location.

if you are adding new top weapons, why not add more items with names? Taza's comes to mind. give them some sort of quirky ability that wont make them "must haves". give any game item a special name and you make it desirable even if it isnt your everyday usage item

We'd rather design a procedural system so there are a million variants than do all that hand work. We might still do some hand made ones, it depends on how cool the proc system works.

I understand where you are coming from on the immersion breaking, but, it's kind of boring to have so much sameness. Maybe I'm biased because I'm the one weirdo that always loved the plains biome, but I really miss that bit of diversity. It was nice to have an area that was just plain (pun intended) open, without the constant heat concerns that the desert brings.

The sky still changes, the ambient sounds, etc. All I'm talking about is making cloudiness global and precipitation global. We can always introduce sub biomes that are larger that could look similar to the plains.

Any chance of getting sick and catching illnesses from the environment and weather?

Like back in the Pen and Paper Days of the early 80s , in Gamma World(a game that's world and setting kick the ♥♥♥♥ out of Fallout)

when the party was traveling every certain amount of distance , the GM would roll percentile dice to see if anyone caught something...

normal weather and terrain had a tiny 2% chance , other terrain types would increase that chance...and weather would increase that chance

as well...all by small amounts , but the more time you spent in hostile terrain and or weather , the greater chance characters had of getting ill

Its just a minor thing , but applying sickness debuffs to the player for things like that , could add to the survival aspect...or just annoy people and give them something else to bitch about! ;)

Yes, I would like to make common colds a thing for people who are getting the cold debuff too long, and then make players sneeze and wake up zombies and make an AOE buff that makes their friends sick, just to see the social dynamics. "Dude get away from me your sick" lol.

Maybe make it so you lose health after been a certain amount of time in the Rain, so people are trying to avoid it and have to find some shelter :)

Our maybe getting less room in your inventory when u are wet so balance from the wet cloth that has gain more weight

Unless it was acid rain in the wastelan, that would cause more rage quitting than the bitch slap app in the 90s.

I'd like to see the game optimized so I can play it without crashing after 5 min. No troubles from 13 when i started playing til 16. !7 drops and the money spent for the game has now become a donation as I can no longer play it.

Submitting crash logs would be more effective than wishful thinking.

I'm itching hard for some good news on next update - are we looking at something soon? Can we see what's confirmed on next patch & what's delayed for the next patch or pushed 'till A18?

I really liked to see that updated page with all these things displayed, also had a bit of an idea as to when to potentially expect it. Just itching for some news on upcoming goods!

I've been updating the first page with screens.

If we could at least get back to how the game ran back in A16 I ran it so much better back then. Its something to do with shadows for sure because even on Near shadows FPS is struggling everywhere but Empty desert fields and snow biome, but I turn Shadows off and suddenly Im hitting 100+ FPS even with everything else maxed.

Shadows and reflection probe are very expensive, we're looking into it.

Mods that change handling are also "interesting".

In Ghost Recon Wildlands it's done pretty well. Some mods give you better range, silence the weapon or even add more damage but take away handling. Some mods increase handling instead. When you're building a close range weapon to use inside of a house, you might prefer less range and damage to reload and aim faster.

I'm not against the change, I'd need a full alpha to do it though to make each one feel good and make sense. I wasn't behind the all mods add damage design but I was open to try it.

I had an instance in A15 or A16 where it rained for 73 straight days, hope that makes your day. Plant fiber clothing didn't help much either.

Which is why it needs overhauled and simplified, there is a ton of old legacy junk code from two guys who are no longer with us that needs to be cleaned out and done with a solid design instead in mind. That stuff must have been bugged.

It tries to pick the closest available dungeon that fits the criteria. I plan on doing some builder/gatherer quests that won't have a target location.

That's awesome.

I'm really grateful for all the effort and crazy hours of work you all are putting into this. I will admit I was let down by alpha 17 in the sense that I felt it took away the reason for us to go out and explore. Being able to just learn perks to build stuff took away from the exploration factor of having to go out to find books. The mods are nice but it just didn't feel the same as searching for that one book or couple of books or having that oh crap I can't believe how lucky I got moment.

I didn't care much for the LBD being taken out but when searching for books was gone it really killed the adventuring aspect which I loved.

Really hoping with alpha 18 and all these books and things you folks are adding in that it will return that adventure and exploration aspect to the game, cause I really miss that and feel that's what's missing.

Thanks again to all of you for taking time to speak with us and stuff

That's awesome.

I'm really grateful for all the effort and crazy hours of work you all are putting into this. I will admit I was let down by alpha 17 in the sense that I felt it took away the reason for us to go out and explore. Being able to just learn perks to build stuff took away from the exploration factor of having to go out to find books. The mods are nice but it just didn't feel the same as searching for that one book or couple of books or having that oh crap I can't believe how lucky I got moment.

I didn't care much for the LBD being taken out but when searching for books was gone it really killed the adventuring aspect which I loved.

Really hoping with alpha 18 and all these books and things you folks are adding in that it will return that adventure and exploration aspect to the game, cause I really miss that and feel that's what's missing.

Thanks again to all of you for taking time to speak with us and stuff

Thanks, we just didn't have time to implement a good plan for books and now I feel like its way better than anything we've had in the past. The whole collector perk bonus is going to be awesome. With T6 quality weapons and armor being find, buy or schematic craft only I think looting and sense of a good find will return giving players lots of incentives to keep looting.

Good morning.

Review after 300 hours of alpha 17.2 : This game is like a very aggresive cannibalistic drug that eats your flesh and bone and makes you forget reality with its emergent gameplay.

Can we get a few RWG screenshots? pretty please?

Mods that change handling are also "interesting".

In Ghost Recon Wildlands it's done pretty well. Some mods give you better range, silence the weapon or even add more damage but take away handling. Some mods increase handling instead. When you're building a close range weapon to use inside of a house, you might prefer less range and damage to reload and aim faster.

I like this.

Adding mods that occupy the same slots with different benefits would also give incentive to build several weapons with different setups for different use cases.

I like the thought of having to choose between silence or power or range and so forth.

I would also like to see a change to the dye system for weapons and propose they use a separate slot outside the mod slots and instead of having a full color tint only there could also be decals that could be added. Angry bunny faces, skulls, notches...stuff like that.

This could be useful to distinguish between different setup weapons in the heat of battle.

instead of having a full color tint only there could also be decals that could be added. Angry bunny faces, skulls, notches...stuff like that.

100% agree with this. I'm not opposed to the dyes, but right now they look really cheesy. Even having a simple alpha mask per model would be an improvement over the "slap on a tint" effect that is there now.

Talked about them, but in a game where you can break any block fairly easily, it just doesn't make much sense.

There have been cases where I've wanted to keep the door I'm trying to get into since it's already upgraded a decent amount. It's a bummer to bust down a nice metal door only to replace it with a crappy wooden one I have to upgrade later. Then again, I do see how the ability to pick a lock vs having to beat one down could prevent a balancing issue for PVP.

Then again, I play this game PVE exclusively, so something like that would be nice for my use case.

We'd rather design a procedural system so there are a million variants than do all that hand work. We might still do some hand made ones, it depends on how cool the proc system works.

I really hope you get this working. Even without a mod system on the guns it'll make any semi-decent weapon you find feel more like a signature weapon.

Archived