Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Will there be passive bonuses to increasing Attributes?

With Perception for example, there could be some sort of peripheral proximity alert to simulate our innate ability to "feel" something coming up on us out of our cone of vision. Sort of like this but more gradient and less pronounced, maybe. It could start off almost too faint to see and get stronger as you add to Perception.

https://gfycat.com/exhaustedscholarlydingo

At 18 will come off the arms and legs of a zombie? Will there be corpses? 17 was a very bad likeness of a FPS game. Boring and pointless. No adrenaline, no fear. No need to build a base and protect it. Take up arms and shoot the crowds of zombies that will magically disappear into the air. Play Doom 1 or 2, it's harder to survive 20 times. A17 is a very slow Doom with a very stupid AI.

Why do you need new coffee makers, when the game is about zombies boring, slow, stupid and without loot mobs?

Look how many people play 16 with mods. In these mods there are NPCs, there are bandits, there are mutants animals. Why are NPC mods possible? Why are they impossible in the original game? And these pocket jeeps and motorcycles? In buildings now "paths" and parkour.

The game turns into a boring arcade, with arcade distribution of skill points. There is no point in waiting for 18 because there are "new 3D models". The game died in version 16.4 :(

It's so insulting and sad.

Perhaps in my heart will remain this game version 16.4, as one of the best games I played. I will remember the previous version, as the game grew and became a terrific hardcore survival simulator. And then everything became a casual misunderstanding.

Talked about them, but in a game where you can break any block fairly easily, it just doesn't make much sense.

Just because you can break any block doesn't mean you can't have fun things that are useful. What if you are early in the game and it takes 3 mins to break the safe?

Good morning.

Review after 300 hours of alpha 17.2 : This game is like a very aggresive cannibalistic drug that eats your flesh and bone and makes you forget reality with its emergent gameplay.

Can we get a few RWG screenshots? pretty please?

We're implementing a new terrain spat map system so texturing is kind of broken at the moment so the shots wouldn't look that good yet.

any plans for a perception perk (or a book) that raise situational awareness?

with the perk maxed out maybe we can get something similar to previous alpha so stealth player can see if they are stealthy or hunted

There is a new perception perk called the infiltrator that pops out an icon telling you of the kind of danger you are in. It starts with floor based traps and works up to auto turrets, aggro zombies to sleepers and sneaking players.

100% agree with this. I'm not opposed to the dyes, but right now they look really cheesy. Even having a simple alpha mask per model would be an improvement over the "slap on a tint" effect that is there now.

Yeah I nearly veto'd them for this very reason. Hopefully we can improve it.

There have been cases where I've wanted to keep the door I'm trying to get into since it's already upgraded a decent amount. It's a bummer to bust down a nice metal door only to replace it with a crappy wooden one I have to upgrade later. Then again, I do see how the ability to pick a lock vs having to beat one down could prevent a balancing issue for PVP.

Then again, I play this game PVE exclusively, so something like that would be nice for my use case.

Wow thats an old quote. We already added a lockpicking system but its mostly used for safes, we might add it to doors in a later alpha.

I really hope you get this working. Even without a mod system on the guns it'll make any semi-decent weapon you find feel more like a signature weapon.

Yes and with a variety of random stats it might make the hunt for the best firearm a lot more exciting instead of being end game the first pink you find when its full of mods. Add some choice and depth.

With Perception for example, there could be some sort of peripheral proximity alert to simulate our innate ability to "feel" something coming up on us out of our cone of vision. Sort of like this but more gradient and less pronounced, maybe. It could start off almost too faint to see and get stronger as you add to Perception.

Would be interesting to leverage a FoV increase into a perk and/or distance view.. if they get a good amount of performance bump that is.

Another aspect that would be interesting if they want to raise/lower the difficulty of zeds is:

initially have their "maxViewAngle" start off at 90 for normal zeds, increase it to 135 for feral, and the radiated have the 180 or even a tap wider ;)

edit: could even be part of their difficulty settings to raise or lower the maxViewAngle. simple and easy, difficulty adjustment.

At 18 will come off the arms and legs of a zombie? Will there be corpses? 17 was a very bad likeness of a FPS game. Boring and pointless. No adrenaline, no fear. No need to build a base and protect it. Take up arms and shoot the crowds of zombies that will magically disappear into the air. Play Doom 1 or 2, it's harder to survive 20 times. A17 is a very slow Doom with a very stupid AI.

Why do you need new coffee makers, when the game is about zombies boring, slow, stupid and without loot mobs?

Look how many people play 16 with mods. In these mods there are NPCs, there are bandits, there are mutants animals. Why are NPC mods possible? Why are they impossible in the original game? And these pocket jeeps and motorcycles? In buildings now "paths" and parkour.

The game turns into a boring arcade, with arcade distribution of skill points. There is no point in waiting for 18 because there are "new 3D models". The game died in version 16.4 :(

Perhaps in my heart will remain this game version 16.4, as one of the best games I played. I will remember the previous version, as the game grew and became a terrific hardcore survival simulator. And then everything became a casual misunderstanding.

Why don't you read what we're doing instead of making a bunch of quick random judgements on game play from 4 months ago.

Right now we're focused on perks themselves, but planning for head shot damage to increase with the governing attribute.

The sky still changes, the ambient sounds, etc. All I'm talking about is making cloudiness global and precipitation global. We can always introduce sub biomes that are larger that could look similar to the plains.

Yes I would love to see sub biomes like the plains in the game. Both in RG and Navezgane.

Hey Madmole !

Are you fortunately going to add flamethrower into A18?

Any new traps, generators or mechanisms? Seems like electricity needs attention from a16.

thanks.

We punted on the flamethrower for now but as of now it looks like:

Maybe:

New stone sledgehammer (T1 heavy weapon)

Brass knuckles (T2 h2h)

Spiked Knuckles (T3 h2h)

Sig machinegun (T2 machinegun)

Most likely:

New Taser (intellect)

C4

Railgun (T3 sniper class weapon)

Hand Grenades

Spears

Unarmed combat with perks

M60 (T3 automatic weapon)

Double Barrel Shotty (T2)

Yes, I would like to make common colds a thing for people who are getting the cold debuff too long, and then make players sneeze and wake up zombies and make an AOE buff that makes their friends sick, just to see the social dynamics. "Dude get away from me your sick" lol.

Except cold temperatures don't give you the common cold.

we punted on the flamethrower for now but as of now it looks like:

Maybe:

New stone sledgehammer (t1 heavy weapon)

brass knuckles (t2 h2h)

spiked knuckles (t3 h2h)

sig machinegun (t2 machinegun)

most likely:

New taser (intellect)

c4

railgun (t3 sniper class weapon)

hand grenades

spears

unarmed combat with perks

m60 (t3 automatic weapon)

double barrel shotty (t2)

!!!!!!!!! Finally !!!!!!!

*happy dance*

Your statement is a huge pile of misinformation mixed with some prejudices and self doubts. It's ok. Due to the lack of Official statements from TFP (I'm talking about Steam) and several badly timed posts along with some poison from the community and

lack of reasuring console posts (which are needed now and then) your opinion turns into a 10% valid one.

My advise though, is to praise them. The are the worst marketing guys I've ever seen but also the most honest, resilient, true to their values and communicative of all game developers (specially inside this forum) to walk the face of earth, and these days that's a good thing.

I mean it, just stay for a while. You might not like some ideas at first, but the game WILL have npcs eventually, WILL have campaign, random weapons, a better random gen, better dissapearing Zs, better quests, more hard POIs, easy POIs,tall POis, optimization,... better everything. It might still take close to two more years to complete but, above all that you will enjoy some future alphas and as for the game, it WON'T be abandoned.

How do I know all that? By lurking in here and reading.

Oh, and one more thing, learn by doing was a grindfest ("drops C4 and runs away in the distance").

We punted on the flamethrower for now but as of now it looks like:

Maybe:

New stone sledgehammer (T1 heavy weapon)

Brass knuckles (T2 h2h)

Spiked Knuckles (T3 h2h)

Sig machinegun (T2 machinegun)

Most likely:

New Taser (intellect)

C4

Railgun (T3 sniper class weapon)

Hand Grenades

Spears

Unarmed combat with perks

M60 (T3 automatic weapon)

Double Barrel Shotty (T2)

Boy! You sure do know how to perk people's interest don't you. lol

Except cold temperatures don't give you the common cold.

There are also no zombies! ;)

We all know that...but just like in the old pen and paper games...it was representing the chance of becoming ill while out in the elements

and surviving daily life in an apocalyptic and wild setting...

Given the dangers , diseases and other things that would be spreading in this games world and the players activities within it...using that system , makes sense...without getting to involved...to introduce sickness and other illness to the survival game...as you can not really prevent that , no matter what you do...always the chance...

Archived