Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No you are trying to get free steroids without finding them. If you can just drop your backpack with a hotkey its like having steroids. No dice man. We give you plenty of tools to deal with problems. Don't be dumb and carry a full payload, build boxes and stash things so you can move, or risk getting caught unable to run. Invest into pack mule, craft mods that remove weight, keep coffee on you so you can sprint, craft a vehicle, etc. There are a million ways to solve this yourself, stop being lazy and wanting us to give you a free rip cord to get yourself out of an interesting problem that you created for yourself.

No, people will play as it is more convenient, the game pushes them to it.

Game mechanics now works exactly as people now use, not as in your imagination.

You come up with features, but do not think about their purpose and the way to use them...

You probably think that the one who will play - he will come up with what to do with it ???

Joel... well, you know, it doesn't work anywhere.

People will always put items in encumbered slots and get annoyed by the consequences. Perhaps you just need to prohibit the use of encumbered slots. It's a matter of human nature, game logic does not work here.

(yes, i understand that there may be items during the lock, but that's another question...)

(but the drop of the backpack just might be of interesting features which will give rise to new game situations ;)).

It will be nice if we have different model of the weapons for each of the quality tiers. Lets say tier 1 - AK has no stock, has broken iron sights,rusty etc... While tier 5 quality AK, has polymer stock,polymer pistol grip, and its fine looking model, more ergonomic in any means. I think this is very important from apocalyptic aesthetics

It will be nice if we have different model of the weapons for each of the quality tiers. Lets say tier 1 - AK has no stock, has broken iron sights,rusty etc... While tier 5 quality AK, has polymer stock,polymer pistol grip, and its fine looking model, more ergonomic in any means. I think this is very important from apocalyptic aesthetics

I have already proposed this ... so far this has remained unanswered )

New gun scrapping/crafting system for A18

Guns can be scrapped into parts, like an Ak47 can be scrapped into Ak 47 Parts.

An Ak might yield 5 AK47 parts, but a new AK would take 10 parts to craft so you can't 1 to 1 upgrade easily.

You can craft a new faulty AK from 10 AK parts, wood, forged iron, duct tape, etc, if you have the automatic weapons rank 1 perk. If you get rank 5 you could craft a great Ak from 50 parts, forged iron, duct tape, etc. The cost to craft a higher quality weapon will scale with each rank.

T3 weapons is an M60, it would take M60 parts, forged steel, mech parts, etc.

Quality is governed by the perk, such as automatic weapons in this case.

Tools will use the same system. Scrap to parts, crafted from parts.

This system solves people not having a reason to loot, if you want the best gear you need to find a lot of guns, scrap them to parts and then craft a nice one. You can sell the parts at traders, smelt them down, etc. Maybe scrap them to iron, we'll have to see.

Instead of a schematic to find and burn up crafting, you find the parts or guns. More immersive. The perk lets you craft it and dictates the quality of the perk. Shotgun messiah for shotguns, gunslinger for handguns, deadeye for sniper rifles, etc.

Loving it. Best of both worlds. How would you repair other items, such as vehicles and generators? Will augers be listed with the tools for repairs?

I'd keep repair kits for vehicles. It makes sense for them. Besides, I like the graphic.

(patching tires, etc)

(you should then be keeping a few in one of the storage slots)

The things are not hard to make, and yes, if you forget to bring a bunch for your auger, well, don't do that.

I try to keep a few kits with me, some forged iron/steel when I'm out and about. Same for a stack of gas

in vehicles that need it. Now that I think about it, some FA kits in there too later game.

I don't like running out of stuff when out and about. Ya kin git ded that way.

Dropped backpack is a really good idea...

Also, removing repair kits is not.

Let's just cut to the chase tfp, enough alphas ... Finish simplifying the game, give us only:

Tool

Weapon

Block

Food

...and call it a day. It's where we've been heading.

Or just make it a text game.

Agree with this. What use is it to add weapon parts to the game to make scavening more interesting if other items are removed for streamlining reasons? The survival part of the game needs a heap of items that might be missing at any inopportune moment.

Uggh. Just make repair kits simpler to craft...like just oil and call them maintenance kits. Who keeps weapon parts around in the real world? (Nobody I know). Who keeps a locker containing their weapon collection? (Everybody I know (that's into guns)). This is just going to overcomplicate the whole firearms thing not to mention cluttering up backpacks which is already an issue. Actually, other than the blunderbuss, guns shouldn't be craftable at all IMO.

Sounds like a good system for vehicles though. Walk into any car guys garage and you'll probably find some car parts. Also, service stations, junkyards, abandon cars, etc, etc, etc.

One other thought...there needs to be a sporting goods store for bicycles, bows, clothing, canoes, etc, etc. Maybe there is and I haven't found one yet. Just musing.

So let me get this right...

We're getting rid of repair kits to make item repair easier... specifically guns.

Even though you could just fix that by making sure repair kits are a trader quest reward option?

I have 0 issue finding repair kits most of the time. I'm honestly at the point where I think the design team have a serious disconnect from what made 7DTD unique, special and FUN to play vs other survival games out there.

Dropped backpack is a really good idea...

Let's just cut to the chase tfp, enough alphas ... Finish simplifying the game, give us only:

Tool

Weapon

Block

Food

...and call it a day. It's where we've been heading.

Or just make it a text game.

I like you more everyday lol

If u want to repair a jeep or shotgun in a zombie apocolypse i would use parts from other jeeps or shotguns...and of course duct tape ;). Finding a jeep repair kit or shotgun repair kit is kinda stupid.

Madmole, please hold the line on the backpack nonsense. The effort to make that hapen could be used elsewhere for something that matters.

Sirs, I would suggest that a nice addition to repair kits would be..yes, gun parts. As both things are used to assemble a weapon in real life, or replace broken parts, put the new ones by using repkit.

Will miss the repair kits definitely, but will give a chance to the new thing.

I`d rather try it first, thAn reject it without even experiencing it.

Gun Parts are a zombie dead horse, no?

They have the same name as the gun parts of ancient times, but thats about it. Players who wanted them back seemed mostly interested in the quality stuff (1-600) and combining parts to get slightly better weapons in infinitesimal small steps. And that is (because of the considerable development time needed to return to it) a dead horse if we look at the release version, don't know how dead it is as an idea

Backpack drop IS a dead horse because it is tightly linked to the backpack encumbrance slot scheme. Throw it out and encumbrance doesn't matter anymore. I fully understand why madmole categorically says no.

They have the same name as the gun parts of ancient times, but thats about it. Players who wanted them back seemed mostly interested in the quality stuff (1-600) and combining parts to get slightly better weapons in infinitesimal small steps. And that is (because of the considerable development time needed to return to it) a dead horse if we look at the release version, don't know how dead it is as an idea

Backpack drop IS a dead horse because it is tightly linked to the backpack encumbrance slot scheme. Throw it out and encumbrance doesn't matter anymore. I fully understand why madmole categorically says no.

Sure. I just threw that out there because I feel that compromises are better than beating a dead horse and better than dismissing thoughts as such.

So let me get this right...

We're getting rid of repair kits to make item repair easier... specifically guns.

Even though you could just fix that by making sure repair kits are a trader quest reward option?

I have 0 issue finding repair kits most of the time. I'm honestly at the point where I think the design team have a serious disconnect from what made 7DTD unique, special and FUN to play vs other survival games out there.

As always, half of their design decisions are mind-boggling, nothing new here. Sometimes it's like they are too impressionable, when listening to feedback, playing other games, reading gamasutra articles or whatever. Who knows. Gun parts + the new perks will be an improvement though.

Its just repair, its nothing glorious.

The purpose of repair is practical - at least in most games. They don't just add it for realism. It's an item economy sink. If you want to make it simple, you don't have to make it un-impactful as well, else you might as well remove it.

Dropping it ingame is not like when you drop it to distract a bear running after you, in your backyard, indeed.

I agree. I think those changes will rock. Speaking of new players, there is a problem with buffs/debuffs: sometimes they count down (death penalty---"30 mins remaining" for example) and sometimes they count up (diseases, cold,etc). I understand the periodical check with the count up is valid from a programming standpoint . BUT, why? shouldn't it be just a count down for every kind of buff/debuff and the INTRINSIC IMMUNITY perk be just the one that shortens time with a chance to shrug off the disease?

The count up system just confuses new players IMO. It confused me at first, and I'm not that new.

Pumped for 18 already.

Disease needs a full redesign, what is there is placeholder.

Totally agreed!

It was one of the main things to scavenge for after a few ingame hours. Broken gun...messed up. Broken bike...messed up.

I remember my buddy and me looking in every house for it, and finally the joy we had when we found some.

Archived