Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

This makes more sense and I like the compounding cost for higher tiers. Let them scrap to mechanical parts, that way we can make repair kits =)

Repair kits are gone, way to much of a wild goose chase to do something simple. We're using forged steel to repair most T3 weapons, forged iron for T2 weapons. They scrap to to name_of_the_gun_parts.

Repair kits are gone, way to much of a wild goose chase to do something simple. We're using forged steel to repair most T3 weapons, forged iron for T2 weapons. They scrap to to name_of_the_gun_parts.

That should make some things simpler. Repair kits are the largest 'cost' to using my auger and a real pain after I travel all the way to my mine and then realize I forgot to bring some :(

- - - Updated - - -

Never, noticed that. Use them all the time.

I have. I think it is related to lights as well as powering my lighted areas with solar seems to screw performance over for no reason at all. My last base was so bad I had to remove my solar panels and go back to gas. Not really sure what is going on there but it really removed the derive to finish my base as all my final designs are now less final :(

- - - Updated - - -

This seems a bit OP tbh. So if I understand this right: once you read the book, you'll never have to worry about cloth ever. On the other hand, it makes plant fibers usefull.

OP?

You worry about cloth now? Cloth is never in any real scarcity. The perk would be more convenient than anything - easier to make some more bandages when not in the Forrest biome in a pinch.

- - - Updated - - -

Better still....allow the player to open his/her inventory while running and then the player can individually toss items. Now you have items scattered over a distance with the threat of despawning and not having any map markers. Just imagine a player accidentally tosses his tier 6 AK-47 with all its mod slot filled. I’d pay extra to watch a YouTuber have that happen. 😎

I would like to see this but for another reason entirely. I, as others have posted, really find inventory management an overall drain on the game in general. It would be really nice to hit my auto-run key and do that management while traveling to my next destination. Just allows me to fill some dead space with the menial task of organizing my trash.

Well, in reality, no noob (before getting applicable perks) with a single backpack is going to loot an ENTIRE poi - without 'suffering' something. The game is about decisions - Loot until encumbered, or exit occasionally and dump into something. (And, btw, it's been mentioned that sleepers are getting some fixes/changes...)

BTW - In Skyrim (which 7D2D is somewhat based on) there is no immediately drop all inventory. (I'm playing Enderal, a Skyrim overhaul, and have 'burned' (literally!) myself a couple times for deciding that I could carry just a few more things before I 'run' back to a chest... That's on me...)

This is not the same at all. In skyrim, accessing your inventory pauses the game. You can lazily manage and/or drop your inventory without much effort no matter what you run into. Unless enderal changed that of course, I am unfamiliar with that overhaul. Have not seen an overhaul that does so. i use requiem myself.

I am rewording perks at the moment as we have more space for long descriptions. While doing it I'm improving some perks. If there are some farm related perk ideas I'm game. I don't want to change how you plant or harvest though in this conversation.

Green Thumb - Reduce grow time of plants, was thinking 10% per level.

Kind of liked the idea of Repair kits to be honest. Seemed to make sense needing oil, and mechanical parts etc. to repair a gun or an auger. Added depth and immersion I think. I've never had much problem obtaining them either. Not a game breaking change mind you, just seems odd to me.

What will be used for T4, T5 etc for repairs?

So gun parts have come back...now what about sharpened sticks and rocks! ;)

I am glad repair kits are gone...while I almost never have used a gun in this game...the other things they were used for was kind of an annoyance all around . Like that perks are getting more fleshed out and stats are being better distributed with weapons etc to go with them...hated having to dive all in with Intelligence , when playing as my Strength character...

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of what A18 has to bring to the table...

Kind of liked the idea of Repair kits to be honest. Seemed to make sense needing oil, and mechanical parts etc. to repair a gun or an auger. Added depth and immersion I think. I've never had much problem obtaining them either. Not a game breaking change mind you, just seems odd to me.

What will be used for T4, T5 etc for repairs?

I was referring to the tech tier not quality. So primitive stuff, stone tools use stone, mid tier guns like double barrel use iron for repair, and high end stuff like pump shotty use forged steel.

Its an unneeded complexity that will alienate new players IMO. Sure some might like it, but at the core of the game repair is more of a oh crap my weapon broke and now I have to do something about it, not go on a full quest to find oil, make glue, get cloth, forge an ingot etc. Its just repair, its nothing glorious. Lets save the quest like crafts for stuff that is more game changing like vehicles and guns. Something you can feel the reward on, not just maintenance of stuff. This is a case where realism just stops people from enjoying the game, something a little more abstact will pay off. More time to fix your base, do real quests, loot, craft, farm, etc. Repair on blocks is simple, repair on all items should be simple.

So gun parts have come back...now what about sharpened sticks and rocks! ;)

I am glad repair kits are gone...while I almost never have used a gun in this game...the other things they were used for was kind of an annoyance all around . Like that perks are getting more fleshed out and stats are being better distributed with weapons etc to go with them...hated having to dive all in with Intelligence , when playing as my Strength character...

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of what A18 has to bring to the table...

Me too, I'm so stoked to play it, try out all the guns, read books, play various builds with different perk setups and most importantly, get a good build out to everyone and see how you all like it.

Allow any type of gun part to repair any type of gun. A little bit of realism, but shouldn't cause a resource constraint since you can break down those stupid pistols to keep your awesome street sweeper fixed up. No need to find the exact right kind of gun part, and no need to craft repair kits. But also not ME PUT IRON INGOT ON GUN MAKE FIRE BETTER.

I ain't even mad, tho. A18 sounds like it will be as much fun as all the other 7D2D has been.

I was referring to the tech tier not quality. So primitive stuff, stone tools use stone, mid tier guns like double barrel use iron for repair, and high end stuff like pump shotty use forged steel.

Its an unneeded complexity that will alienate new players IMO. Sure some might like it, but at the core of the game repair is more of a oh crap my weapon broke and now I have to do something about it, not go on a full quest to find oil, make glue, get cloth, forge an ingot etc. Its just repair, its nothing glorious. Lets save the quest like crafts for stuff that is more game changing like vehicles and guns. Something you can feel the reward on, not just maintenance of stuff. This is a case where realism just stops people from enjoying the game, something a little more abstact will pay off. More time to fix your base, do real quests, loot, craft, farm, etc. Repair on blocks is simple, repair on all items should be simple.

I agree. I think those changes will rock. Speaking of new players, there is a problem with buffs/debuffs: sometimes they count down (death penalty---"30 mins remaining" for example) and sometimes they count up (diseases, cold,etc). I understand the periodical check with the count up is valid from a programming standpoint . BUT, why? shouldn't it be just a count down for every kind of buff/debuff and the INTRINSIC IMMUNITY perk be just the one that shortens time with a chance to shrug off the disease?

The count up system just confuses new players IMO. It confused me at first, and I'm not that new.

Pumped for 18 already.

You could just require gun parts to repair then. This solves the problem of "gun inflation". Lower tiered guns are then primarily taken apart and stored for repairs or crafting better guns.

Me too, I'm so stoked to play it, try out all the guns, read books, play various builds with different perk setups and most importantly, get a good build out to everyone and see how you all like it.

At one point you had mentioned higher resolution icons. Can you shed some light on this? Is the standard 116x80 png changing? Would like to get a head start on some custom icons if this is the case.

At one point you had mentioned higher resolution icons. Can you shed some light on this? Is the standard 116x80 png changing? Would like to get a head start on some custom icons if this is the case.

It appears all the icons have been updated to 160x160. They are probably still tweaking them, but they look pretty good. A little more contrast than before.

I am thrilled at the return of gun parts! More loot is more loot. More crafting mechanics gives me more to do. A18 looks to be an amazing update. I hope cooking and farming is rebalanced as well. There's little reason to farm if you're well stocked in meat and eggs.

Speaking of updates, y'all got any of that A17.3?

I have to disagree with removing repair kits. As much as I like mining, I also like looting and wrenching. This is why I advocate for having more things to craft, so I have a reason to go out and loot. I can see, why for the convenience factor but... which would you rather have players simply mining safely in their base for the resources tor repair their tier 2/3 weapon or going out looting to risk to get the resources to make a repair kit?.

No you are trying to get free steroids without finding them. If you can just drop your backpack with a hotkey its like having steroids. No dice man. We give you plenty of tools to deal with problems. Don't be dumb and carry a full payload, build boxes and stash things so you can move, or risk getting caught unable to run. Invest into pack mule, craft mods that remove weight, keep coffee on you so you can sprint, craft a vehicle, etc. There are a million ways to solve this yourself, stop being lazy and wanting us to give you a free rip cord to get yourself out of an interesting problem that you created for yourself.

JOEL, PLEASEeeeee!!!! )))

You can add a debuff that will block all the inventory cells for 30 minutes after you have dropped the backpack, and each item in the inventory will give the character an overload.

You can also add a timer like during a search of the car, so that the backpack cannot be dropped immediately )))

Overloading is cool, but how it works now is some annoying than it adds interest. You, as a professional, can come up with other options how to make it interesting. But you did not even try to consider my idea and did not suggest how this could be implemented )

You just began to defend your version)

Roland, maybe a vote about drop backpuck? )))

JOEL, PLEASEeeeee!!!! )))

You can add a debuff that will block all the inventory cells for 30 minutes after you have dropped the backpack, and each item in the inventory will give the character an overload.

You can also add a timer like during a search of the car, so that the backpack cannot be dropped immediately )))

Overloading is cool, but how it works now is more annoying than it adds interest. You, as a professional, can come up with other options how to make it interesting. But you did not even try to consider my idea and did not suggest how this could be implemented )

You just began to defend your version)

Roland, maybe a vote about drop backpuck? )))

Why do you want that Backpackdrop so desperately? MM just gave you a couple of options to work with.

Earlygame losing your backpack isn't so bad. I even sometimes leave it behind if it's too risky to get it and it doesn't contain much good stuff anyway since it's earlygame. Lategame you'll have vehicles and/or steroids. In addition to that you'll have guns to defend yourself and armor to survive.

If you'd be able to get rid of your greed-penalty called encumbrance just by pressing a button you could get rid of the whole system instead.

I get that it can be a PITA but that's the point. Don't loot so much then. Just keep the things worth keeping. Make several runs back to base. or live with the risk of being slow. The game is about Survival not about "in every situation i have my emergency tool that will save me". Don't make it too easy on yourself, you'll get bored.

Why do you want that Backpackdrop so desperately? MM just gave you a couple of options to work with.

Earlygame losing your backpack isn't so bad. I even sometimes leave it behind if it's too risky to get it and it doesn't contain much good stuff anyway since it's earlygame. Lategame you'll have vehicles and/or steroids. In addition to that you'll have guns to defend yourself and armor to survive.

If you'd be able to get rid of your greed-penalty called encumbrance just by pressing a button you could get rid of the whole system instead.

I get that it can be a PITA but that's the point. Don't loot so much then. Just keep the things worth keeping. Make several runs back to base. or live with the risk of being slow. The game is about Survival not about "in every situation i have my emergency tool that will save me". Don't make it too easy on yourself, you'll get bored.

I believe that the use of steroids is not as interesting as the ability to temporarily throw off a backpack)

The ability to temporarily drop a backpack and get a temporary burden on all the cells for more interesting than running back and forth a few times, just because the backpack is glued to the character with superglue)

Looking forward to A18 aswell. A17 has been too full of drama for my taste, I just hope all the good news won't be overshadowed by too many "bad" changes this time around. On top of everything, I can't wait to enjoy a good ol' RWG playthrough, I'm sick of playing NG ! ^^

Madmole, could you put together a very brief list of the major A18 changes/additions ?

When can we expect vehicle mods?

The UI for them is just there, taunting us.

Almost every single vehicle could use mods to boost its performance and maybe make it unique somehow, its really a wasted opportunity that there are none so far.

Archived