Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I stash chests all over the map early game and mark them on my map.

Thank you. I dont get all these encumbrance complaints. Its a great game mechanic. Back in the day we used to make little wooden shack outposts with campfires and boxes outside of cities. It was fun doling so and we used to go on runs, drop off and then make trips to retrieve stuff.

Now with encumbrance this is even more viable and we love it :)

We're not making it convenient for you to circumvent the penalties of encumbrance. That is the risk you take being encumbered.

JOEL, we will still have to carry a heavy backpack to the base most of the time, but being able to dump a backpack will only allow us to temporarily gain an advantage in mobility and endurance.

What is natural is that we cannot get rid of a backpack when it is urgently needed? )

You can add a debuff that will block all the inventory cells for 30 minutes after you have dropped the backpack, and each item in the inventory will give the character an overload.

Earlier time it will be possible to remove the debuff just by picking up a backpack.

This is a temporary convenience.

If you are against it, then you should remove steroids from the game, because they also add convenience)

I could have swore we had a dump inventory button, i remember seeing the trashcan icon on my inventory a few times.. or was that a temp solution to the bugged quest item and was removed? or was that Delete inventory not dump?

---

Also, you couldnt add a perk to reduce forge heat cause its not part of you, its an independant system. maybe if you were near it, but how would it know who was using the forge to make less heat, and what if someone else uses it after you? seem slike its overly complex

Wasteland Treasures: Cloth Can weave plant fibers into cloth.

This seems a bit OP tbh. So if I understand this right: once you read the book, you'll never have to worry about cloth ever. On the other hand, it makes plant fibers usefull.

What if....

We're not making it convenient for you to circumvent the penalties of encumbrance. That is the risk you take being encumbered.

What if dropping your back pack in such a manor locked you out of being able to use the backpack inventory slots until it is retrieved. Saved from your being encumbered in an emergency but now you are restricted to just being able to put things on your belt until you retrieve your backpack again.

I doubt it would be a change worth the effort though.

OR

What if dropping your back pack in such a manor locked you out of being able to use the backpack inventory slots until it is retrieved. Saved from your being encumbered in an emergency but now you are restricted to just being able to put things on your belt until you retrieve your backpack again.

I doubt it would be a change worth the effort though.

JOEL can add a debuff that will block all the inventory cells for 30 minutes after you have dropped the backpack, and each item in the inventory will give the character an overload.

Earlier time it will be possible to remove the debuff just by picking up a backpack.

JOEL, we will still have to carry a heavy backpack to the base most of the time, but being able to dump a backpack will only allow us to temporarily gain an advantage in mobility and endurance.

What is natural is that we cannot get rid of a backpack when it is urgently needed? )

You can add a debuff that will block all the inventory cells for 30 minutes after you have dropped the backpack, and each item in the inventory will give the character an overload.

If you are against it, then you should remove steroids from the game, because they also add convenience)

Well there you have your drop backpack button. Use steroids to gain the movement you need.

It's 'natural' to drop a backpack.

But, how much stuff have you got in there? Is that 'natural'?

Maybe the backpack is a game abstraction of all kinds of different things that allow you to 'carry' all that stuff. (maybe it's 5 backpacks and shoulder bags, and belt bags and...)

And maybe MadMole is referring to the player having made the decision to carry all of that stuff - knowing what the consequences are anyways. ?

They have said a few times it's about game design vs reality...

Seems like if they allow you to drop it, then there's almost no reason for encumbrance. (other than speed. and that's not convenient either...)

Maybe the backpack is a game abstraction of all kinds of different things that allow you to 'carry' all that stuff. (maybe it's 5 backpacks and shoulder bags, and belt bags and...)

And maybe MadMole is referring to the player having made the decision to carry all of that stuff - knowing what the consequences are anyways. ?

No need to cling to the word "natural", it's not at all in this, but in the game process. The ability to throw a backpack would be very interesting.

Thank you. I dont get all these encumbrance complaints. Its a great game mechanic. Back in the day we used to make little wooden shack outposts with campfires and boxes outside of cities. It was fun doling so and we used to go on runs, drop off and then make trips to retrieve stuff.

lol..how many slots does your backpack have again...? ;)

Seems like if they allow you to drop it, then there's almost no reason for encumbrance. (other than speed. and that's not convenient either...)

This seems like a quite sensible way to look at this. The "gameplay is more important than 100% realism" argument works both ways. Maybe one of the tradeoffs of being able to carry 15,000 pounds of concrete around on your person is that you can't easily just fling it aside on a whim when you get yourself into trouble?

Hi Joel, today on the stream, the audience offered me an interesting idea.

The idea is that the player can drop all his inventory on the ground except the belt. In this case, a backpack will appear on the ground, as when a character dies, and there will also be a mark on the map where the backpack fell.

When can it be needed? Often!

When you run in the early stages of a game with full inventory and meet a horde, a wolf or a dog, you could temporarily throw all the loot on the ground and get back all the mobility and endurance.

You can say that it is not necessary, as it will be used only in the early stages of the game, but I will tell you that the game already has a lot of things that we use only at the beginning of the game: a stone ax, a stone shovel, a musket, a wooden bow and another and it does not interfere.

Yeaaaaah!! It's really great idea!! It'll give us a new gaming experience

This but having to bury a chest on PvP servers to come back to later.

I could have swore we had a dump inventory button, i remember seeing the trashcan icon on my inventory a few times.. or was that a temp solution to the bugged quest item and was removed? or was that Delete inventory not dump?

---

Also, you couldnt add a perk to reduce forge heat cause its not part of you, its an independant system. maybe if you were near it, but how would it know who was using the forge to make less heat, and what if someone else uses it after you? seem slike its overly complex

Trashcan icon was only if you were in dm mode.

Not sure I like steel being gated behind electricity. I have need for steel *LONG* before I ever need or have electricity. Most of my games I never even bother with electricity.

I have to agree with this, if the electric components like gas generator and battery bank are locked along with steel that doesn't seem right. Since right now in-game both above items use forged iron in their making.

Better still....allow the player to open his/her inventory while running and then the player can individually toss items. Now you have items scattered over a distance with the threat of despawning and not having any map markers. Just imagine a player accidentally tosses his tier 6 AK-47 with all its mod slot filled. I’d pay extra to watch a YouTuber have that happen. 😎

As a fan of encumbrance, I wouldn't mind if you could find ways to minimize inventory management involved. I find myself opening the inventory way too often, just to get rid of the debuff, by dragging items to actionbar empty slots, or throwing them out because I accidentally punched a flower while fighting a zombie.

Not sure I like steel being gated behind electricity. I have need for steel *LONG* before I ever need or have electricity. Most of my games I never even bother with electricity.

I agree with this. I think having an industrial, electric forge with shorter crafting times, fewer resources needed, and/or higher capacities would be sufficient to make the perk valuable. Kind of like how a chem station is still valuable for making gunpowder.

As a fan of encumbrance, I wouldn't mind if you could find ways to minimize inventory management involved. I find myself opening the inventory way too often, just to get rid of the debuff, by dragging items to actionbar empty slots, or throwing them out because I accidentally punched a flower while fighting a zombie.

Hold shift and left click. You can thank me later.

I would also like to have a "quickdrop" of the whole backpack. Either via a hot-key or an inventory-icon.

The backpack would then just spawn on the ground with all the items in it like a normal lootbag.

This is useful when wanting to quickly get rid of encumbrance. (as a soldier would do that too)

This would also be useful in the early game when scavanging POIs. the player does not need to craft a chest. Just drops the backpack (it should not despawn!) and then goes in looting.

Later he can sort out the stuff when finished looting. (repeatedly dropping the backpack without picking it up should not be possible though, else this could be exploited).

Archived