Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Very Cool.

Will these be displayed in the Perks Screen? In their own separate tab? It's going to be hard as hell to keep track of all the perks you have unlocked if that's not the case. A tab would be invaluable.

Yes right next to intellect is a books icon that lists every book and if you have read them or not.

I have to agree with this, if the electric components like gas generator and battery bank are locked along with steel that doesn't seem right. Since right now in-game both above items use forged iron in their making.

Exactly, unless they change the unlock system around.

Also, does anybody else have an ugly texture for the steel arrows? I've updated drivers and changed setting but still the same.

It's literally the only texture in the game that's borked for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes right next to intellect is a books icon that lists every book and if you have read them or not.

Awesome

...asked Madmole while firmly grasping his bow. :)

In truth, though, I would accept the risk. If my backpack is going to end up on the ground anyway I’d rather it happen without the resulting near death buff if I can help it. Plus in the current game it would be a snap to jump off and run 50 meters away and wait for them all to catch up then run back pick up the pack and get back to higher ground.... :p

Someone remapped the drop key 5 minutes before I shoot video and nobody will ever forget it lol.

I have a no hotkey solution for you, just hold still and let the dogs have their treat, you will drop your backpack easily.

And if smell is introduced, you can load a backpack full of smelly stuff to distract the zambees... make backpacks craftable too

While we're at it, lets put in teleports so players don't have to walk, and power armor so you are invincible. Heck we'll even throw in an auto uninstall feature when you hit exit because you won't be back to play that game.

Not sure I like steel being gated behind electricity. I have need for steel *LONG* before I ever need or have electricity. Most of my games I never even bother with electricity.

I had a dip in caffeine levels when I wrote that.

I do have a general comment/ thought about perk bonus':

With level 5 requiring (if it still does) an attribute rank of 10 that includes a huge difference in points spent.

- For a level 4 Perk you need a level 7 Attribute: 10 Points for Attribute + 4 Points for Perk

- For a level 5 Perk you need a level 10 Attribute: 22 Points for Attributes + 5 Points for the Perk

The difference between 14 for a level 4 and 27 for a level 5 is huge, obviously. A lot of the perks increases between 4 and 5 do not justify this cost increase.

Take Gunslinger:

Rank 3 - 15% Increase Fire Rate/ 25% Reload Rate/ 5 successive shots cause crit

Rank 4 - 20% Increase Fire Rate/ 30% Reload Rate/ 4 successive shots cause crit

This is a 5% increase at a cost of 6 skill points. Well worth it.

- Rank 5- 25% Increase Fire Rate/ 35% Reload Rate/ 3 successive shots cause crit

For the additional 13 skill points it costs to get to rank 5 you only get another 5% increase.

For just 1 more skill point (14) you could increase a different attribute to 7 and a relevant perk to 4.

My suggestion is to keep the costs the same, but make the increase in bonus between 4 and 5 more substantial to offset the cost. I find myself raising most skills to 4 and spending those points elsewhere, because (in my opinion) the rank 5 increase is not worth 13 skill points.

Sorry for the ramble. Have a great day!

Caz

Yes but rank 10 of the attribute gives you access to rank 5 of all its governed perks for just a few points then. So yes if you only buy one 10 requirement perk under that tree its a rip off, if you max out several perks under that tree, its a great deal.

If we inverted it, it would be cheap to be int 10, but super costly to have all 5 ranks of just a few perks.

Thank you. I dont get all these encumbrance complaints. Its a great game mechanic. Back in the day we used to make little wooden shack outposts with campfires and boxes outside of cities. It was fun doling so and we used to go on runs, drop off and then make trips to retrieve stuff.

Now with encumbrance this is even more viable and we love it :)

Yes and in a MP server you have to hide them so you don't get ripped off. To me this kind of game should have you living on the edge, worried about zombies, worried someone will take your stuff, and constantly thinking how to survive better, how to live another day, how to get on top of this crazy situation.

While we're at it, lets put in teleports so players don't have to walk, and power armor so you are invincible. Heck we'll even throw in an auto uninstall feature when you hit exit because you won't be back to play that game.

I so love to read this forum nowadays. Players vs developers is really a fun game. Luckily I've stopped playing 7d2d and moved on. Only here cause deep down I miss what I thought was a great game. Unfortunately, to me, it got worse. So, now I'm happily sitting here with my popcorn checking in occasionally to see what happens to my former love.

Call me a stalker if you want..

JOEL, we will still have to carry a heavy backpack to the base most of the time, but being able to dump a backpack will only allow us to temporarily gain an advantage in mobility and endurance.

What is natural is that we cannot get rid of a backpack when it is urgently needed? )

You can add a debuff that will block all the inventory cells for 30 minutes after you have dropped the backpack, and each item in the inventory will give the character an overload.

Earlier time it will be possible to remove the debuff just by picking up a backpack.

This is a temporary convenience.

If you are against it, then you should remove steroids from the game, because they also add convenience)

No you are trying to get free steroids without finding them. If you can just drop your backpack with a hotkey its like having steroids. No dice man. We give you plenty of tools to deal with problems. Don't be dumb and carry a full payload, build boxes and stash things so you can move, or risk getting caught unable to run. Invest into pack mule, craft mods that remove weight, keep coffee on you so you can sprint, craft a vehicle, etc. There are a million ways to solve this yourself, stop being lazy and wanting us to give you a free rip cord to get yourself out of an interesting problem that you created for yourself.

You might check what game we're all talking about before posting. There is definitely gas crafting in this one.

I think they are talking about the Bio Fuel one. The description on grain alcohol even states you can make fuel from it, but you really can't. I miss that too because it was good for emergency only, as the high cost to make

it made it impractical.

I could have swore we had a dump inventory button, i remember seeing the trashcan icon on my inventory a few times.. or was that a temp solution to the bugged quest item and was removed? or was that Delete inventory not dump?

---

Also, you couldnt add a perk to reduce forge heat cause its not part of you, its an independant system. maybe if you were near it, but how would it know who was using the forge to make less heat, and what if someone else uses it after you? seem slike its overly complex

Its not linked to you, its linked to the area. All the sounds and smells add up and a screamer investigates the center of the noise, or something like that. I build forge shacks and happily snipe the screamers from 1/8 mile away as they pound on my forge shack door.

What if dropping your back pack in such a manor locked you out of being able to use the backpack inventory slots until it is retrieved. Saved from your being encumbered in an emergency but now you are restricted to just being able to put things on your belt until you retrieve your backpack again.

I doubt it would be a change worth the effort though.

OR we stop this nonsense backpack drop noone in 5000 years will talk me into.

It's 'natural' to drop a backpack.

But, how much stuff have you got in there? Is that 'natural'?

Maybe the backpack is a game abstraction of all kinds of different things that allow you to 'carry' all that stuff. (maybe it's 5 backpacks and shoulder bags, and belt bags and...)

And maybe MadMole is referring to the player having made the decision to carry all of that stuff - knowing what the consequences are anyways. ?

They have said a few times it's about game design vs reality...

Seems like if they allow you to drop it, then there's almost no reason for encumbrance. (other than speed. and that's not convenient either...)

Exactly, there are 5000 ways not to be encumbered.

Well, in reality, if I was looting and got surprised by an armada of zombies, I'd drop the pack, run like hell and come back for it later. I would not keep the pack and wait to get killed with all my stuff and then having to come back to it later anyways *g*

The danger could be that a better equipped player could just run in then and get my pack. Or that zombies eat it, if i dropped it directly at their feet.

Not defending the pack idea, it would be a move people would do though, i feel.

lol

OR we stop this nonsense backpack drop noone in 5000 years will talk me into.

Lol, I guess I should have worded that better to not sound serious. Was more trying to give a downside to "dropping the backpack" that would make it not worth it. :)

I like the way encumberence works actually. Typically it is me, my wife and a friend playing on a private server together. The little bit we played around with 17.1 when we would go on a group looting outing we started diving up the stackables when our inventories started to go past the free spaces. That way we each weren't carrying a stack of brass, lead, etc. I liked that we had to plan more.

I am eagerly awaiting A18, we decided to wait for the tweaks that I am soooo looking forward to before we play more.

Well, in reality, if I was looting and got surprised by an armada of zombies, I'd drop the pack, run like hell and come back for it later. I would not keep the pack and wait to get killed with all my stuff and then having to come back to it later anyways *g*

The danger could be that a better equipped player could just run in then and get my pack. Or that zombies eat it, if i dropped it directly at their feet.

Not defending the pack idea, it would be a move people would do though, i feel.

Well, in reality, no noob (before getting applicable perks) with a single backpack is going to loot an ENTIRE poi - without 'suffering' something. The game is about decisions - Loot until encumbered, or exit occasionally and dump into something. (And, btw, it's been mentioned that sleepers are getting some fixes/changes...)

BTW - In Skyrim (which 7D2D is somewhat based on) there is no immediately drop all inventory. (I'm playing Enderal, a Skyrim overhaul, and have 'burned' (literally!) myself a couple times for deciding that I could carry just a few more things before I 'run' back to a chest... That's on me...)

Someone remapped the drop key 5 minutes before I shoot video and nobody will ever forget it lol.

Lmao, no they didn't, it was always 'Q' to drop stuff you're holding until that video.

EDIT: Alpha 16 release notes: "Moved drop toolbelt item to G, godmode to Q"

I thought encumbrance was a nice addition to the game. I agree there shouldn't be a way to quickly rid yourself of it.

The only thing that bothers me with the system is that it goes into effect just by placing something in the gray cells. It is good in the sense that I can visually see the problem, but it is bad in that its silly when your backpack is empty in all other cells.

Archived