Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I thought encumbrance was a nice addition to the game. I agree there shouldn't be a way to quickly rid yourself of it.

The only thing that bothers me with the system is that it goes into effect just by placing something in the gray cells. It is good in the sense that I can visually see the problem, but it is bad in that its silly when your backpack is empty in all other cells.

That hasn't been my experience. If you put all your starting gear into grey slots with lots of clear slots free you are still unencumbered. It calculates it by number of slots used not whether you are using a shaded vs clear slot.

That hasn't been my experience. If you put all your starting gear into grey slots with lots of clear slots free you are still unencumbered. It calculates it by number of slots used not whether you are using a shaded vs clear slot.

Really? Was it maybe like that at one time and I stopped trying?

Your the one that wanted 3 rows of encumbrance instead of 2. Enjoy your funeral :D

LOL...that is supposed to be super secret behind closed doors information. I get grief enough from Allan. You just put a target on my back. Now I gotta drop my pack and sprint outa here....

Someone remapped the drop key 5 minutes before I shoot video and nobody will ever forget it lol.

I have a no hotkey solution for you, just hold still and let the dogs have their treat, you will drop your backpack easily.

If I outlive you there will be "Dropped his bow" scribbled with a sharpie on your tombstone. If I don't, instructions will be left to my children... ;)

Now, my new ingame objective is to procure myself some steroids from Trader Joel to carry as my new preferred hotbar item.

I'm sorry.. I forgot one key component to that. I just launched the game to see what it was that I was thinking about. If you have open slots in your toolbar, those open slots are not a part of the inventory. Your toolbar can be completely empty and yet you would still be encumbered.

If you move items back into your toolbar, no longer encumbered. Where did the weight go?

Really, not a big deal at all... it's just the one thing I thought was flawed about the whole inventory/encumbrance system.

I don't know why the gray slots were stuck in my head like that, but I knew there was something.

Some vehicle changes coming for A18:

Changed many vehicle interactions to be server controlled and server owns that data.

Changed vehicle Service and Storage access is allowed for non owners if unlocked or passcode entered and also when it has a driver.

Changed vehicle Service and Storage UIs to not close if driven, but if vehicle moves away.

Changed vehicles can't be locked if being driven.

Changed vehicle passcode button is hidden if not locked.

Now it works as I'd expect. You and your buddy can each access storage (not at same time) if unlocked. Someone locks, they now can see passcode button, enters code, friend uses code to unlock and gets access to storage or service UI.

Friend pulls up or jumps in and you can still access storage until he drives away.

This should also fix lingering interaction issues. Say a player is kicked or disconnects while in storage, then when another player wants to access storage, the server will see the current user is not playing and give you access.

Solar panels when charging the battery cause increedddiiibblleee lag and are unplayable. they're not a viable part of the game, and for 30k ech (give or take) they utterly put themselves out of the picture.

Never, noticed that. Use them all the time.

Some vehicle changes coming for A18:

Changed many vehicle interactions to be server controlled and server owns that data.

Changed vehicle Service and Storage access is allowed for non owners if unlocked or passcode entered and also when it has a driver.

Changed vehicle Service and Storage UIs to not close if driven, but if vehicle moves away.

Changed vehicles can't be locked if being driven.

Changed vehicle passcode button is hidden if not locked.

Now it works as I'd expect. You and your buddy can each access storage (not at same time) if unlocked. Someone locks, they now can see passcode button, enters code, friend uses code to unlock and gets access to storage or service UI.

Friend pulls up or jumps in and you can still access storage until he drives away.

This should also fix lingering interaction issues. Say a player is kicked or disconnects while in storage, then when another player wants to access storage, the server will see the current user is not playing and give you access.

Nice work

I'm sorry.. I forgot one key component to that. I just launched the game to see what it was that I was thinking about. If you have open slots in your toolbar, those open slots are not a part of the inventory. Your toolbar can be completely empty and yet you would still be encumbered.

If you move items back into your toolbar, no longer encumbered. Where did the weight go?

Really, not a big deal at all... it's just the one thing I thought was flawed about the whole inventory/encumbrance system.

The weight didn't go anywhere. There is no weight. a can of water weighs the same as 6000 stones. (At least currently.)

And, I would prefer they NOT auto move things to the hotbar. (I rarely state opinions, but that and followers that constantly bump into me messing things up are two things I find frustrating...)

Having said all that, maybe a compromise could be using ALL item slots (backpack + hotbar) into encumbrance calculations. (Although, I agree, it is not a big deal, and they probably have many more pressing things to focus on.)

Action bar empty slots don't count though :/

lol..how many slots does your backpack have again...? ;)

Less than vanilla at start, and even then you cant unlock ALL of it, the entire last row never unlocks and you MUST deal with encumbrance if you fill your bag ;)

Also there is no magic backpack perk. You have to go out and find backpacks that unlock three slots at a time.

I don't know why the gray slots were stuck in my head like that, but I knew there was something.

I try not to see the encumbrance system as weight but as cumbersomeness from lack of a better word.

The way I look at it is that the open slots are pockets in clothes and maybe some pouches and the backpack while the locked slots is stuff you need to carry in your hands due to there being no other place to put it and as such it becomes cumbersome to move around. Picture yourself with your arms full of firewood for instance.

I’ve probably said this here before but I will say it again. I would like to see the Pack Mule perk removed(or at least reduced). And then there should be the introduction of an equipment slot for a backpack that could be exchanged and modded.

When you spawn in the world you are in your boxers and as such should have no unlocked slots. But as you craft and wear clothes slots should unlock as you are adding ways to stash stuff.

This system should be balanced throughout the equipment and different slots and quality and even mods should add to the unlocked slots.

So as you spawn into the world you only have the tool belt available to you. But as you do the starter quest you make some clothes and that starts to open up the inventory. Better clothes means more slots but one should not get to free the entire inventory with the best quality in all slots, the backpack(modded) and mods to all the clothes should be needed too.

Anyways, just an suggestion :)

Less than vanilla at start, and even then you cant unlock ALL of it, the entire last row never unlocks and you MUST deal with encumbrance if you fill your bag ;)

Also there is no magic backpack perk. You have to go out and find backpacks that unlock three slots at a time.

Nice. Sounds cool. I'll have to try out Ravenhearst again. I haven't played in quite awhile and back when I did, it was a massive backpack. I've always been partial to the idea of different pack sizes.

I so love to read this forum nowadays. Players vs developers is really a fun game. Luckily I've stopped playing 7d2d and moved on. Only here cause deep down I miss what I thought was a great game. Unfortunately, to me, it got worse. So, now I'm happily sitting here with my popcorn checking in occasionally to see what happens to my former love.

Call me a stalker if you want..

Well hopefully the changes we have planned bring you back to active player status.

I think they are talking about the Bio Fuel one. The description on grain alcohol even states you can make fuel from it, but you really can't. I miss that too because it was good for emergency only, as the high cost to make

it made it impractical.

It was pretty klunky. You can find plenty of gas or mine shale and cook it into gas.

And, I would prefer they NOT auto move things to the hotbar.

Same. It’s especially annoying when you are purposely trying to punch things (since that’s the way to harvest now) There aren’t many games that get this right either. Either it is a game where you want it in hotbar but it goes into backpack, or a game where you don’t want it but it happens. Nobody ever thinks of adding in the preference option in the settings.

New gun scrapping/crafting system for A18

Guns can be scrapped into parts, like an Ak47 can be scrapped into Ak 47 Parts.

An Ak might yield 5 AK47 parts, but a new AK would take 10 parts to craft so you can't 1 to 1 upgrade easily.

You can craft a new faulty AK from 10 AK parts, wood, forged iron, duct tape, etc, if you have the automatic weapons rank 1 perk. If you get rank 5 you could craft a great Ak from 50 parts, forged iron, duct tape, etc. The cost to craft a higher quality weapon will scale with each rank.

T3 weapons is an M60, it would take M60 parts, forged steel, mech parts, etc.

Quality is governed by the perk, such as automatic weapons in this case.

Tools will use the same system. Scrap to parts, crafted from parts.

This system solves people not having a reason to loot, if you want the best gear you need to find a lot of guns, scrap them to parts and then craft a nice one. You can sell the parts at traders, smelt them down, etc. Maybe scrap them to iron, we'll have to see.

Instead of a schematic to find and burn up crafting, you find the parts or guns. More immersive. The perk lets you craft it and dictates the quality of the perk. Shotgun messiah for shotguns, gunslinger for handguns, deadeye for sniper rifles, etc.

An Ak might yield 5 AK47 parts, but a new AK would take 10 parts to craft so you can't 1 to 1 upgrade easily.

You can craft a new faulty AK from 10 AK parts, wood, forged iron, duct tape, etc, if you have the automatic weapons rank 1 perk. If you get rank 5 you could craft a great Ak from 50 parts, forged iron, duct tape, etc. The cost to craft a higher quality weapon will scale with each rank.

This system solves people not having a reason to loot, if you want the best gear you need to find a lot of guns, scrap them to parts and then craft a nice one. You can sell the parts at traders, smelt them down, etc. Maybe scrap them to iron, we'll have to see.

Instead of a schematic to find and burn up crafting, you find the parts or guns. More immersive. The perk lets you craft it and dictates the quality of the perk. Shotgun messiah for shotguns, gunslinger for handguns, deadeye for sniper rifles, etc.

This makes more sense and I like the compounding cost for higher tiers. Let them scrap to mechanical parts, that way we can make repair kits =)

Sounds good. Best of both worlds.

Is it still going to be the case that blue level items are the highest ones we can craft?

Archived