Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 5/22/2022 at 2:25 PM, Deceptive Pastry said:

My main concern with this is, there are plenty of people who enjoy playing this game like minecraft. Mine, craft, build. Often times in multiplayer one or more players gravitate toward that role because that is what they like doing. If you have perk weighted looting, the looters will be bringing back less loot that the rest of the team can actually use, forcing the base builders to either go looting or progress slower. The variable shape blocks were an incredible addition, but then this just seems like another step toward looter shooter and away from more of a sandbox survival game.

But then, I still think the best system is a combined system of LBD + LBL like in say Undead Legacy. You get XP just for doing the thing, but you also find +1 skill books to supplement. And LBD is never coming back so...whatever. I'll probably just mod it out like many other changes.

Hi Deceptive,

I read your post back on 5/22, and see your concern with the new crafting changes.  As Roland mentioned, the weighting is not as severe as many have worried about.  Hopefully folks will still find it still more enjoyable then unlocking recipes via skill point investment.  I see you enjoyed the previous LBD mechanics and this change probably won't change your mind in that regard.  However, I hope you still find it more enjoyable then what we currently have in A20.  As a side note, the art team did a stellar job with all of the magazine designs and hope that further enriches the experience for all.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

What specific change rubbed you the wrong way and why?  The reasoning behind the upcoming crafting change was fully shared by Roland.  Was there something you disagreeded with it inparticular?

I can tell you what my concerns are as a single player. As a single player I have to decide how to spend my time.

If I spend two in-game weeks building a large base in A20, then I can use the XP I get to unlock new recipes through the skill tree or make a better quality of what I have already unlocked. For example, if you put your points into Advanced Engineering, you can unlock the recipes for the traps that you can use to defend the base you are building.

In A21, after the two weeks of building, I will not have unlocked any additional recipes, nor will I be able to craft better quality equipment. If you' re cynical, you might say that the two weeks of work are wasted time.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:26 PM, Laz Man said:

I'm working on a large POI right now actually.  It should be done for A21 at the rate im going.  Just not finalized yet if it will be T4 or T5.

Some of the other guys have some large POIs in the works but not sure they will make it in A21 but knowing them, they will make every effort to try to get them in.

On the other hand, I have a feeling you guys will have enough to chew on in A21 regardless....😆

It's a prison, right? Someone from the team is working on the POI of the prison. Right? Or a POI yacht? Did I guess right? 😅

2 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

It's a prison, right? Someone from the team is working on the POI of the prison. Right? Or a POI yacht? Did I guess right? 😅

that reminds me of the prison that was removed from rwg after a18 wonder when thatll make a come back 

4 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Huh?  What'd I miss. 

I guess he likes the UI layout of the crafting skills menu. Adds in some functionality we haven't had before in regards to progression/unlocks. 

I'm sure it will get tweaked a little here and there before we release, but it's working pretty good for now.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

This looks great! It's so reassuring to see the devs putting in more of these extra gameplay elements that will add variety to the world. It's stuff like this that makes a product seem more "finished".

Of course, seeing this makes me wonder (i.e. dream) if this mechanic can eventually be used in player-designed bases. I've always wanted to have a fire trap in the game. But if experience tells me anything, this kind of stuff won't be player-craftable. Oh well, still looks awesome!

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

This looks cool. But, does it only turn off the flames? I could definitely see uses for being able to turn them on, like if you have a "defend this POI" quest you could use them to trap the areas where the pipes are broken.

12 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

I guess he likes the UI layout of the crafting skills menu. Adds in some functionality we haven't had before in regards to progression/unlocks. 

I'm sure it will get tweaked a little here and there before we release, but it's working pretty good for now.

Exactly this :)

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

My thoughts on this may not be original, but to add to the voices:

• The designer in me instantly wants to know what happens if I destroy the pipeline between the valve and the fire. I look forward to finding the answer... and I appreciate how in any other game the answer would be, "What? You can't just break the pipe anywhere you want. It's just a game, don't expect so much."
  • It feels off that closing the valve, so that something making noise makes less noise, wakes up the zombies. It would help plausibility if, instead of a tiny pfft sound, there was a more jarring sound, like an exaggerated metallic shudder of the valve shutting.
  • If you have the art budget to do that... could you please revisit the flamethrower trap concept? :flame:Nothing fancy, just a big open flame like this that consumes gas when turned on. Dungeon crawling is great, but crafters & builders want to enjoy fire hazards, too!

Regarding the UI, it's the bit in red i've included on this edited screenshot madmole posted earlier.

398119423_newuiedited.thumb.jpg.5f957f2d629155ebc4ea764e761df75c.jpg

I'm working off the assumption that the crafting section may be using a different UI controller to perks.

If we could use THAT bit in perks (just from a modding standpoint, not expecting TFP to use it), that would honestly be amazing. Like, the grid up top to show what items get unlocked, then the name/perk description/etc like it currently is, for example. :)

Also, build 69... nice ;)

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Crater Creator said:

My thoughts on this may not be original, but to add to the voices:

• The designer in me instantly wants to know what happens if I destroy the pipeline between the valve and the fire. I look forward to finding the answer... and I appreciate how in any other game the answer would be, "What? You can't just break the pipe anywhere you want. It's just a game, don't expect so much."
  • It feels off that closing the valve, so that something making noise makes less noise, wakes up the zombies. It would help plausibility if, instead of a tiny pfft sound, there was a more jarring sound, like an exaggerated metallic shudder of the valve shutting.
  • If you have the art budget to do that... could you please revisit the flamethrower trap concept? :flame:Nothing fancy, just a big open flame like this that consumes gas when turned on. Dungeon crawling is great, but crafters & builders want to enjoy fire hazards, too!

My guess it will work the same. I dont think the pipes are actually doing anything other than the actual valve block. I think its similar tech to the door buttons we have in A20. So the valve is just a toggle that in the editor its programmed to deactivate the trap.