Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

But, what makes you think a new flying vehicle will handle better 😛

It's Apocalypse and will be made from scrap. 

I was just referring to the ability VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) that a helicopter or a drone can do. The forward motion is the thing that makes everybody fly like crazy.
Todays scrap can yield loads of microchips that handle four-corner-propeller balancing and hovering.

11 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

yeah i would say that no major optimisation needs to be done but one place i definitely need to say that it does is in the downtown area and in skyscrapers thats ussually where my fps drops to the low 20's on medium to high settings

Skyscraper windows are expensive and need to be improved. I actually have a meeting tomorrow to discuss with art/design devs.

2 hours ago, beerfly said:

But, what makes you think a new flying vehicle will handle better 😛

It's Apocalypse and will be made from scrap.

If we ever add a helicopter, it will fly like a helicopter and be able to hover. A gyrocopter flies like an airplane.

10 hours ago, faatal said:

If we ever add a helicopter, it will fly like a helicopter and be able to hover. A gyrocopter flies like an airplane.

In my experience, the vast majority of people complaining about the gyro are just failing to understand than gyrocopters and helicopters are not the same thing. 

3 hours ago, Jugom said:

In my experience, the vast majority of people complaining about the gyro are just failing to understand than gyrocopters and helicopters are not the same thing. 

True, this is why it is repeated often. Gyro is cool, I love it. 

@faatal, will it be possible in the future in RWG to choose 100% size for any one biome? I understand that you made a progression of biomes in A20 so that there would be an incentive to explore different biomes, but still it would be better if it could be done without resorting to xml/third-party world generators.

1 hour ago, Kirill_226RUS said:

@faatal, will it be possible in the future in RWG to choose 100% size for any one biome? I understand that you made a progression of biomes in A20 so that there would be an incentive to explore different biomes, but still it would be better if it could be done without resorting to xml/third-party world generators.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, Kinyajuu said:

Already way ahead of ya there :)
A21 genned map contains these

<property name="Generation.Seed" value="" />
  <property name="Generation.Towns" value="Default" />
  <property name="Generation.Wilderness" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Lakes" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Rivers" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Cracks" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Craters" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Plains" value="6" />
  <property name="Generation.Hills" value="0" />
  <property name="Generation.Mountains" value="0" />
  <property name="Generation.Snow" value="4" />
  <property name="Generation.Forest" value="7" />
  <property name="Generation.Desert" value="4" />
  <property name="Generation.Wasteland" value="3" />

On 4/6/2022 at 12:28 PM, Roland said:

Yes, and thanks to Kinyajuu's confirmation I updated the first page. This feature is in fact already in and I generated a map yesterday that had a teeny tiny speck of forest surrounded by all the other tougher biomes.

Apparently multi quote doesn't select quotes within quotes. Anyway, hopefully this answers your question. In short, yes, A21 will have sliders to adjust biome sizes. 

5 hours ago, Kirill_226RUS said:

I can confirm that any one biome can be set to 100% and that all the biomes can be adjusted to varying percents to get the type of map you want. With forest biome very small you run the risk of getting a NO TRADER message for your beginning quest. There are still traders but just none in the forest and you will need to cancel the tutorial quest to get rid of the message and search for your first trader in one of the other biomes without gps. If you have forest set to 0% then you will for sure get no starter quest trader.

Things are still developing so they may make some changes to the starter quest to account for different world configurations.

4 hours ago, grendelwolf said:

One simple wish for Alpha 21: Please keep the 'Mods' folder in the directory where the game is installed. Thanks. 

We can't have it in the Mods folder for installing from the Microsoft store or Game Pass, because MS does not want users changing files in the install location.

We already allow you to specify a location on the command line for data files, which you could specify in the launcher. You can then place a Mods folder there.

-UserDataFolder=x:\7DTDData

It can also be set in the serverconfig.xml file.
<property name="UserDataFolder" value="absolute path" /> <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

4 minutes ago, faatal said:

We can't have it in the Mods folder for installing from the Microsoft store or Game Pass, because MS does not want users changing files in the install location.

We already allow you to specify a location on the command line for data files, which you could specify in the launcher. You can then place a Mods folder there.

<property name="UserDataFolder" value="absolute path" /> <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

@faatal could you write this in A20.4 mod location topic? because well this will be important news for them

On 3/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, Roland said:

Welcome to the Alpha 21 Developer Diary where members of The Fun Pimp staff will occasionally answer questions, post updates of what they are working on, and give us sneak peaks into the future of 7 Days to Die.

This is a focused thread meaning that any off-topic chatter or side conversations not involving a TFP staff member will be moved to an overflow thread in general discussions.

In addition, only Alpha 21 features that have been confirmed will show up in the list below. No longer will planned and hoped-for features be posted until they are actually a reality. This means that even though a developer might talk about their wishes for A21 in the body of the thread, those features will not be listed as official A21 features here until they are confirmed as already implemented.

A21 Release Date: "Done When It's Done"

CONFIRMED A21 FEATURES

• New Places of Interest
  • Updated and New (Decorative) Vehicle Models
  • Additional Advanced World Generation Options
    • Biome Percent Sliders

oh yes, very cool

A new place too skulk :D

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Well - there will be more A20.X updates or now just wait for A21? 

And... in second situation : When stream or more info about A21 will be annouced?

We are planning to release a .5.

Don't know.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:22 AM, faatal said:

Skyscraper windows are expensive and need to be improved. I actually have a meeting tomorrow to discuss with art/design devs.

Can you tell us how the meeting went? What is the problem with windows? Will it be solved in skyscrapers (how?)? In high hopes...🙏

On 4/25/2022 at 5:52 PM, faatal said:

1 hour ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Can you tell us how the meeting went? What is the problem with windows? Will it be solved in skyscrapers (how?)? In high hopes...🙏

j7qDkUn.png

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

15 hours ago, faatal said:

Will it work the same for single player?

On 4/27/2022 at 11:14 PM, faatal said:

@faatal can players use this setting for the desktop shortcut that launches the game?
Thus, it was possible to make several folders with different sets of modifications in the game folder, and make several shortcuts on the desktop with different launch options, which would allow the game to be launched with the desired set of modifications, without having to make a copy of the game folder.

And another question: did I understand correctly that using this command you can specify a new location for storing game saves, screenhots and logs?

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Survager said:

@faatal can players use this setting for the desktop shortcut that launches the game?
Thus, it was possible to make several folders with different sets of modifications in the game folder, and make several shortcuts on the desktop with different launch options, which would allow the game to be launched with the desired set of modifications, without having to make a copy of the game folder.

Yes. A shortcut is how I tested it.

image.png.bee1f67b41182391f37b78e412b7b31d.png

22 hours ago, Games&#x27;n&#x27;Grumble said:

It went fine. Skyscraper windows are block models, so they are each a draw call and it uses a sub mesh for trim and glass, so they are actually two draw calls each. They need to be changed to a standard block. We spent more of the time talking about making normal blocks that have opaque and transparent sections and decided we could support that if our mesh naming system handled marking meshes transparent, so that those would end up in the transparent chunk mesh. I have a prototype working of an arch with glass inside the arch. Still thinking on if I like this solution.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:14 AM, faatal said:

But, why does this change have to affect those of us who bought the game via Steam? Can it not be set to only affect those obtain 7 Days to Die via the Microsoft Store of Game Pass only?