Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

I was wondering if there are plans to make zombies less predictable. For example in buildings they sit/sleep in the same spot in every POI, there are few if any random roamers that go into buildings really. I'd like to see roamers inside the POIs in addition to sleepers and randomized amounts of zombies in POIs. Zombies would be neat if they have object point of interests they could interact with. Going into a POI you've been in before would be more interesting if you had no idea where the zombies would be before hand. For example, beat on glass, scratch at doors, pick up a weapon, try to unlock a door, pound on things with realistic sounds, knock over trash cans / partially breaking a door/wall and climbing through.

Tier 6 quests would be awesome to look forward to, something a group can do. The progression system is too fast as well in my opinion and biome bonuses are way over tuned. You could leave the system as is and let some end-gamers obtain unique and rare items that are hard or lucky to obtain to give a brass ring to people that play too many hours per day. People that play too much with an unhealthy gaming addiction need something that can keep them busy while the rest of their friends play casually. Lots of people play together with groups of friends, and you have certain friends who play 12 hours a day "consuming product" until they're done with it and bored then leave the rest of the regular people high and dry regarding friends to play with. Just a suggestion.

20 hours ago, faatal said:

It means zombie will hit blocks that are supporting buildings that they would not hit before. Say you build a bunch of poles and a platform above and stand on it. They will now hit the poles and not just wander around.

Awesome change! Finally you see big damage to a POI after 30+ zombies (random horde mod) tried to get to you on the roof somehow.

I'd like to know 2 things specifically.

Will our player character's arms finally be clothed, instead of being completely exposed?

Will we finally get at least 1 different, simple model, to represent food items? Holding up a can for canned foods, a sandwich for a sandwich, a raw vegetable?

Whatever that lump of orange-yellow mystery matter is, it doesn't look like food.

22 hours ago, JStanleyF said:

I was wondering if there are plans to make zombies less predictable. For example in buildings they sit/sleep in the same spot in every POI, there are few if any random roamers that go into buildings really. I'd like to see roamers inside the POIs in addition to sleepers and randomized amounts of zombies in POIs. Zombies would be neat if they have object point of interests they could interact with. Going into a POI you've been in before would be more interesting if you had no idea where the zombies would be before hand. For example, beat on glass, scratch at doors, pick up a weapon, try to unlock a door, pound on things with realistic sounds, knock over trash cans / partially breaking a door/wall and climbing through.

Zombies are random within their sleeper volumes as far as which sleeper blocks they pick and the count of zombies, but it is up to the designers to set. If they put 3 sleeper blocks in a room and set it to spawn 2-3 then there is not many variations available to the spawning code.

Wandering zombies has been discussed and we will probably do some of that, but we have many higher priority tasks to work on currently.

There is actually a bug passed to me today about reset POI helper blocks not being random, so it could be effecting zombie spawns too.

7 hours ago, faatal said:

There is actually a bug passed to me today about reset POI helper blocks not being random, so it could be effecting zombie spawns too.

I can attest to this part. random vending machines, if they worked, they still do on a reset, if they didnt, then they still dont. if a randomized container was lootable, it stayed lootable on reset even if it had the option to be changed to a non lootable one.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, faatal said:

It means zombie will hit blocks that are supporting buildings that they would not hit before. Say you build a bunch of poles and a platform above and stand on it. They will now hit the poles and not just wander around.

I'd like to drive it, but it will not be driveable due to how it was modeled. Opaque windows, no interior and 2 piece attached wheels. It is more efficient that way, but not usable for me.

That's very sad, yet being optimistic I will refer to a previous question ever with hope 😌

How hard would it be to make these driveable - I suppose I could add the adjustments to the model to that.

Thank you for your reply, always appreciated 👍🏻

14 hours ago, Alloy1 said:

I'd like to know 2 things specifically.

Will our player character's arms finally be clothed, instead of being completely exposed?

Will we finally get at least 1 different, simple model, to represent food items? Holding up a can for canned foods, a sandwich for a sandwich, a raw vegetable?

Whatever that lump of orange-yellow mystery matter is, it doesn't look like food.

Great question re: food.

It lowers the standard of the game which ever contrasts the old with new models and HD upgrades.

I always thought it looks like a slice of leather 🙄

Other foods like stew should have animations making them take time to eat. That would add a bit planning and also make it feel more satisfying to watch, unlike how it is now - spending time and effort getting the ingredients together for five shepherds pies only to swallow them all in pretty much one bite each.

Food in general needs to be revisited also - the idea of eating 5 meat stews and loads of other food just to be starving an hour later game time is so far out of this universe it's unbelievable.

Also the current buffs are far too situational and in my opinion, not really worth the effort it takes to make them.

Edited by Beelzebubs Ghost (see edit history)

Anybody knows whether there is a fix planned for zombies glitching through hatches when crawling? I use hatches for various things and it is SO annoying when zombies are glitching halfway through them, allowing them to hit me which should be impossible in that situation. Even worse with enemies that are always crawling like spider zombie, dogs etc.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Well design looks rly good -helipad, bus as part of building ( i love that) , cool fance so  10/10

BUT....

WHY THERE IS A  NEW CAR ON CONTAINER???  TFP want to make Fast and furious crossover?????🙃🤪😜

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Trader balance? sounds like a positive spin on trader nerfs, which are needed because the trader is imbalanced as heck atm. I think trader prices are fine. The problem imo with the trader is that his current inventory ignores alot of the gamestage progression. I wonder what the new specialization will mean though. 

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

With the wonderful new traders can we have player purchasable vehicles actually appear at said trader if they are available in his stock? It really would add to immersion if instead of putting it in our pockets we could actually drive it away. It would also add to the excitement especially for new players to see that vehicle for sale for real.

Expanding upon this it is my wish to see vehicles appear in the world as repairable entities rather than them being craftable pieces. Only those perked into grease monkey  could build required parts to repair them. 

This is not something for a mod in my opinion but necessary polish to how vehicles work and to add the discovery element to vehicles in the game.