Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

How bandits deal with traps will bring a new dynamic the the base. I can see them firing on the more obvious traps and players setting hidden traps like collapsing floors etc. I wonder too will they attempt to cut power and attack vehicles should they find no entry. Hitting a generator  or interrupting an electrical circuit could cause problems  particularly for players with electric doors and traps. The good thing aboutt bandits is there won't need to be great numbers of them to bring spice to the game. 

12 hours ago, faatal said:

Nav is 6k.

Thanks for the info. Then I don't need to think about creating very large maps and probably struggle with memory issues while generating them. Navezgane is big enough for me.  6K maps shouldn't be a problem with 24 GB RAM.  I can also live without Dynamic Mesh.

Please continue your great work. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this game. I like fighting zombies, surviving, crafting, building, and random generated worlds in computer games. 7 Days To Die combines all this features in one package. I'm eager to see how this masterpiece continues evolving.

Edited by Nevergrey (see edit history)

Might be interesting if bandits primarily dropped weapon and armor parts, feels like equipment crafting mostly just acts as RNG protection to at least get quality 5 gear once you have the rank to do so and haven't found a quality 6 yet, and is wasteful to use parts for anything less. Having a somewhat targetable source could help adjust how they're used. 

Edited by Vintorez (see edit history)

On 3/27/2022 at 6:19 PM, Roland said:

"Modders have already gotten pretty ambitious with the bandits that we already had from earlier versions so I am confident that at whatever point TFP decides to stop and say "good enough" where bandits are concerned, the community will be sure to take it farther. That is exactly the allure of mods-- that you can play a game that is beyond the scope of what the developers chose the default game to be."

I hope the community keeps its expectations about TFP vanilla bandit functionality at a reasonable level.  Bandits are not "easy" to develop in the context of this game.   Over the past several alphas our NPC team has put many hundreds, if not thousands of development hours into extending the existing NPC and zombie code, leveraging already built systems like factions, buffs, cvars etc.   We extended the EAI "AI" used by zombies, but found that while efficient, was limited in how much we could extend it for humanlike behavior without issues.  This forced us to extend some abandoned UAI code that permitted NPCs to make real-time (several times per second) choices of behavior based on the current situation.  This works well, but there is a performance hit, and I expect TFP to focus on relatively "dumb" AI bandits based on EAI at first so there isn't a major performance impact on the game when more than a dozen operate in an area.   Our NPC modding team will reuse whatever TFP bandit code base they provide in A21, and likely we will continue to focus on smarter versions using UAI.  

Will TFP be putting any work in A21 to allow map makers to have their own pois draw on first map draw in RWG?

Older tools like Nitrogen & KingGen were able to do this with relative ease and while A20 map maker was a vast improvement over previous versions,

it still didnt give the world makers the depth that they require in RWG to allow server managers to reset a custom prefab after a team has done a hordenight on your pride and joy and left it as rubble lol.

Edited by Drinka1ity (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Quick question : new updated for a20  is still in development? Because it is rly quiet about A21

I'd like to know that too. Hated wrote: "A20.4 with fixes can be expected on EXP later this week or early next week." That was on February 22...

11 hours ago, xyth said:

I hope the community keeps its expectations about TFP vanilla bandit functionality at a reasonable level.  Bandits are not "easy" to develop in the context of this game.   Over the past several alphas our NPC team has put many hundreds, if not thousands of development hours into extending the existing NPC and zombie code, leveraging already built systems like factions, buffs, cvars etc.   We extended the EAI "AI" used by zombies, but found that while efficient, was limited in how much we could extend it for humanlike behavior without issues.  This forced us to extend some abandoned UAI code that permitted NPCs to make real-time (several times per second) choices of behavior based on the current situation.  This works well, but there is a performance hit, and I expect TFP to focus on relatively "dumb" AI bandits based on EAI at first so there isn't a major performance impact on the game when more than a dozen operate in an area.   Our NPC modding team will reuse whatever TFP bandit code base they provide in A21, and likely we will continue to focus on smarter versions using UAI.  

EAI has been optimized over the years I've been working on it and UAI being dead, I have not touched it. I do plan to remove it at some point, but hopefully the bandit framework will be adequate to extend from for modders.

Good bandit performance and numbers is a goal, so they will run adequately on all systems.

58 minutes ago, Nevergrey said:

I'd like to know that too. Hated wrote: "A20.4 with fixes can be expected on EXP later this week or early next week." That was on February 22...

It is still in the works. There were some issues with platform changes and then there was a bad merge of some of my changes that they backed out and may end up having to hand merge.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

It is still in the works. There were some issues with platform changes and then there was a bad merge of some of my changes that they backed out and may end up having to hand merge.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, faatal.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

There were some issues with platform changes and then there was a bad merge of some of my changes that they backed out and may end up having to hand merge.

That right there and other issues born from simple overlooks are the biggest downsides to having patches as opposed to just bringing on the beefy alpha . That being said, I like the patches. It keeps the player engaged while waiting for a21. Bandits. Finally. More than 4 years since those swearing lines were recorded, lol.

13 hours ago, faatal said:

EAI has been optimized over the years I've been working on it and UAI being dead, I have not touched it. I do plan to remove it at some point, but hopefully the bandit framework will be adequate to extend from for modders.

Good bandit performance and numbers is a goal, so they will run adequately on all systems.

What do you mean by "numbers" here?

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

What do you mean by "numbers" here?

Possibly he means...well...numbers. You know, stuff like "1", "5", or even "12" just to give a few easy examples.

Commonly used to specify a certain amount of things.

In this context:

how many bandits can be there simultaneously, without too heavy performance impact.

...oh, now I get it! You already knew that, and your real, indirectly asked question was: 

how many bandits can be there simultaneously, without too heavy performance impact?

4 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

Possibly he means...well...numbers. You know, stuff like "1", "5", or even "12" just to give a few easy examples.

Commonly used to specify a certain amount of things.

In this context:

how many bandits can be there simultaneously, without too heavy performance impact.

...oh, now I get it! You already knew that, and your real, indirectly asked question was: 

how many bandits can be there simultaneously, without too heavy performance impact?

... no i mean - how many bandits should be in POI, how many "bandit" POI per 1 km^2, how many bandits wandering outside is good enough for him - because we know that max number of "enemy" is 64 right? so 1 bandit = 63 zombies, 2 bandits = 62 zombies etc 

So my question  mean more :' how much bandits will be ratio to zombie number

2 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

So my question  mean more :' how much bandits will be ratio to zombie number

Ok I see. I would guess you cannot count it like that, plus 1 bandit means minus one zombie.

bandit AI will probably be more complex, with bigger performance hit.

But that's all still in the early works, so I think nobody can tell right now about definite numbers.

...I still stay with 12 😃

16 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

Ok I see. I would guess you cannot count it like that, plus 1 bandit means minus one zombie.

bandit AI will probably be more complex, with bigger performance hit.

But that's all still in the early works, so I think nobody can tell right now about definite numbers.

...I still stay with 12 😃

Well] it was simplify because add bandit they have to reduce number of zombie so - i hope bandit AI will be just a little bit diffrent that zombie and it will be fine.

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Well] it was simplify because add bandit they have to reduce number of zombie so - i hope bandit AI will be just a little bit diffrent that zombie and it will be fine.

Yes and no. When a bandit gets spawned it reduces the amount of zombies by at least 1, but when no bandit is around you still have the full zombie count available.

Wasn't it mentioned by someone from TFP already that bandits will be used sparringly (or am I imagining this) ? Don't expect simply 10 or 20% of environmental zombies just being substituted by bandits. If TFP did this they would severely lessen the impact of the bandits.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Yes and no. When a bandit gets spawned it reduces the amount of zombies by at least 1, but when no bandit is around you still have the full zombie count available.

And if 1 bandit dies, 1 Zombie spawns? Or spawns another bandit then? 🤔

New gaming mode ... AI spawn race. 🙂