Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 4/1/2022 at 12:39 AM, faatal said:

The number of bandits that are spawned at any one time. Say a bandit takes x2 the performance of a zombie, then I would not want more that half of them in the world compared to the number of zombies a computer can manage and still have a reasonable FPS. Now that does not mean the world will have bandits everywhere. That depends on game play goals. I would like bandits to be rare, because this is a zombie game and 99% of the population is dead or a zombie.

I agree, I do not want too many bandits, but maybe group of 3-4 occuring once in a week or two make it more interesting for me.

my concern is more with bandit range attack.
1. is its gun range gonna be as soon as they see us and able to snipe us at ranges greater than our own? such as they arent even rendered and we got sniped?

2. will they have infinite ammo? that gets unbalanced.

3. what will their accuracy be like? i mean are they always gonna hit?

4. wait, they were just shooting at us, I killed the little f* but he doesnt have a gun on him? wtf?  played a few games like fallout where this happened. broke immersion.

on weapons and armor in general.

bandits are human too, they will try for every advantage, does this mean bandits weapon, armor, and tools may have mods already in them?

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Survager said:

Explain this update item please 🤨

image.png.f983de75d332d192c79816c9d81b9a81.png

When a zombie goes to destroy a block for destroy area mode, it would attack it because the block was in the way. On a partial block they would enter it and not attack it because it was not an actual obstacle. Now they know to attack those blocks when there are near them and not just walk inside it.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

When a zombie goes to destroy a block for destroy area mode, it would attack it because the block was in the way. On a partial block they would enter it and not attack it because it was not an actual obstacle. Now they know to attack those blocks when there are near them and not just walk inside it.

What does that mean practically?

Is it a way to reduce glitching through blocks? Or is it a way to improve the effectiveness of the zombie AI to breach our defenses? Or something else...? :confused2:

@Roland Re: the Art gallery I have a couple questions.

Why is the April Fail of the sharp sticks; an out of date joke that only some would get, even on there? Yes it is artwork, but being a joke, why is it included on a development diary frontpage?

Same question for the non-fail, beautiful police car model. @faatal mentioned that he saw this and would like it driveable, and I vaguely remember it being mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong) as an asset that is actually being worked on.

Can we have some clarity on that as a thing that will be in, and indeed; if either yourself of Faatal could clarify whether or not that will be driveable, it would be great.

Cheers.

(Also, what happened to MadMole? He's been very quiet since last Alpha... I hope he's ok...)

Edited by Beelzebubs Ghost (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Beelzebubs Ghost said:

Why is the April Fail of the sharp sticks; an out of date joke that only some would get, even on there? Yes it is artwork, but being a joke, why is it included on a development diary frontpage?

Because the TRUE April fools joke was to post something on the day that was really truly real and have people think it was just a joke. And you fell for it hook line and sinker. 😂

There is nothing in the gallery that isn’t in the game which goes for the police car as well. It’s in there too but it isn’t driveable. 😄

Madmole is busy working on one of the next big A21 reveals (may God have mercy on our souls)…

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

I have a quick question regarding the Bandits, (I'm not sure I saw the same question asked?).

We typically play on a dedicated server with 4-5 players, so most of the way we are used to playing is multiplayer with specific roles for each of us.  

Since there are more of us, it makes Horde nights very fun since the Zombie numbers are based on player count. 

Would this be the same way with the bandits? 

As in solo playing = 4 Bandit spawns, 4 players = 16? Or something to that effect? 

Thanks for any input and keep up the great work!

14 hours ago, Roland said:

Because the TRUE April fools joke was to post something on the day that was really truly real and have people think it was just a joke. And you fell for it hook line and sinker. 😂

There is nothing in the gallery that isn’t in the game which goes for the police car as well. It’s in there too but it isn’t driveable. 😄

Madmole is busy working on one of the next big A21 reveals (may God have mercy on our souls)…

the next step is sharp sticks propaganda where you give every zombies sharp sticks and the player gets killed immediately during blood moon lol they would look like a porky pine by the time the zombies have thrown all those sticks

With Bandits, I hope there could be rescue missions. Like, there's some NPC being held captive somewhere where Bandits occupy a building or whatever and it's a two-staged mission where you have to first rescue the NPC, then transport him/her to another location. Could be a clear/fetch, or a version of it where you have to "steal" equipment from the Bandits and deliver it. No idea if a two-staged missions is at all feasible though.

Also, sorry if I maybe missed this info but could the missions please be named? You generally pick missions that are close by but my short term memory is quite bad so I often by mistake choose the same mission over and over again and it's not really a fun experience doing the same fetch/clear mission for the fifth time out of the last eight picked up.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:34 PM, Jost Amman said:

What does that mean practically?

Is it a way to reduce glitching through blocks? Or is it a way to improve the effectiveness of the zombie AI to breach our defenses? Or something else...? :confused2:

It means zombie will hit blocks that are supporting buildings that they would not hit before. Say you build a bunch of poles and a platform above and stand on it. They will now hit the poles and not just wander around.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:48 AM, Beelzebubs Ghost said:

Same question for the non-fail, beautiful police car model. @faatal mentioned that he saw this and would like it driveable, and I vaguely remember it being mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong) as an asset that is actually being worked on.

Can we have some clarity on that as a thing that will be in, and indeed; if either yourself of Faatal could clarify whether or not that will be driveable, it would be great.

I'd like to drive it, but it will not be driveable due to how it was modeled. Opaque windows, no interior and 2 piece attached wheels. It is more efficient that way, but not usable for me.

17 hours ago, Deadfordays said:

I have a quick question regarding the Bandits, (I'm not sure I saw the same question asked?).

We typically play on a dedicated server with 4-5 players, so most of the way we are used to playing is multiplayer with specific roles for each of us.  

Since there are more of us, it makes Horde nights very fun since the Zombie numbers are based on player count. 

Would this be the same way with the bandits? 

As in solo playing = 4 Bandit spawns, 4 players = 16? Or something to that effect? 

Thanks for any input and keep up the great work!

Bandits counts would scale like zombie counts at a simple ratio of how much overhead they are vs a zombie.