Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

@Kinyajuu

Something nice I noticed on A20 that I hope gets a bit expanded in A21:

RWG Generated Worlds, mapinfo.xml now contains the seed originally typed to generate the world.  This is great for those who forgot what they input.

<property name="GenerationSeed" value="Eagle's Nest" />

However, without the values of the settings used it is still missing information necessary to recreate the world.

Hopefully in A21 we can also get a record of all the setting used (ex plains, hills, mountains, random, rivers, lakes, craters, cracks, towns, wilderness POIs).

Also for A21, it would be nice if the generator copied/saved a version of the rwgmixer.xml used with the generated world (similar to how saves create a config dump for the XML files).

Edited by Red Eagle LXIX (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Red Eagle LXIX said:

@Kinyajuu

RWG Generated Worlds, mapinfo.xml now contains the seed originally typed to generate the world.  This is great for those who forgot what they input.

However, without the values of the settings used it is still missing information necessary to recreate the world.

Hopefully in A21 we can also get a record of all the setting used (ex plains, hills, mountains, random, rivers, lakes, craters, cracks, towns, wilderness POIs).

Also for A21, it would be nice if the generator copied/saved a version of the rwgmixer.xml used with the generated world (similar to how saves create a config dump for the XML files).

the good news is...  :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

On 3/31/2022 at 3:09 PM, faatal said:

The number of bandits that are spawned at any one time. Say a bandit takes x2 the performance of a zombie, then I would not want more that half of them in the world compared to the number of zombies a computer can manage and still have a reasonable FPS. Now that does not mean the world will have bandits everywhere. That depends on game play goals. I would like bandits to be rare, because this is a zombie game and 99% of the population is dead or a zombie.

zombies and bandits are going to fight each other right?

On 4/2/2022 at 7:11 AM, Red Eagle LXIX said:

@Kinyajuu

Already way ahead of ya there :)
A21 genned map contains these

<property name="Generation.Seed" value="" />
  <property name="Generation.Towns" value="Default" />
  <property name="Generation.Wilderness" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Lakes" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Rivers" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Cracks" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Craters" value="None" />
  <property name="Generation.Plains" value="6" />
  <property name="Generation.Hills" value="0" />
  <property name="Generation.Mountains" value="0" />
  <property name="Generation.Snow" value="4" />
  <property name="Generation.Forest" value="7" />
  <property name="Generation.Desert" value="4" />
  <property name="Generation.Wasteland" value="3" />

59 minutes ago, Kinyajuu said:

Oooh, do I see biome values there?  Does that mean we can adjust them?

1 hour ago, Red Eagle LXIX said:

Oooh, do I see biome values there?  Does that mean we can adjust them?

Yes, and thanks to Kinyajuu's confirmation I updated the first page. This feature is in fact already in and I generated a map yesterday that had a teeny tiny speck of forest surrounded by all the other tougher biomes.

12 hours ago, Kinyajuu said:

That is amazing. With that level of control we can create some custom wonders in a minute. Thank you very for coming by! 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:26 AM, Kalex said:

zombies and bandits are going to fight each other right?

They should be able to just like zombies can fight animals.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:20 AM, Blake_ said:

@faatal do you know if RWG 'generation speeds' will be faster in a21 or if there are any changes taking place to have maps process faster in any way for the new alpha?

I don't know.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:20 PM, Outlaw_187 said:

Haven't heard anymore about the new outfit system. Is this still a thing or did it get scrapped? 

I'm trying to keep an open mind about it but a part of me is hoping it's scrapped. The more customization we have the better. 

Still a thing.  We have a programmer working on it full time.

I'm pretty sick for some time so i miss some things 

so: Can someone explain me what  mean biom percent slider? 

It will be something like : 15% of map will be desert 10 % will be snow etc?

Btw can we "decided" when will be biomes? like desert on north , forest in middle etc?

Btw This is important : any news about skeleton prop??? please! 💀

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

It will be something like : 15% of map will be desert 10 % will be snow etc?

Yes

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Btw can we "decided" when will be biomes? like desert on north , forest in middle etc?

No. Its random.

@faatal, I have a bunch of questions  regarding bandits and npcs in general:

1. Will they be able to jump? 

2. Will they be able to place items, like 1-block barricades for flexible covering or will they just cover and stuff like that?

3. Will they be able to drive vehicles/bikes? (I'm not sure if this one was already asked)

4. Will they have the same pathing functionalities as Zds in the pathing department? ("1-block" and "1 and 1/2-block" pathing)

5. Have you guys talked about dismemberment for npcs? If so, will they have it?

6- Can we see a sexy  brand-new WIP screenshot of bandits in progress?

Thank you very much for reading ! 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

I wanna start off by saying, I love a20! The RWG is just impressive, as for what it achieves. The cities and towns look great and feel great to play! Beautiful atmosphere and really fun moments to be had, especially when you alert the neighbours and it feels like an actual zombie movie is directed at your seat.

On the topic of additional Random World Gen options, I'd like to add something. Slight tangent towards a20 rwg Trader questing ^^;

Suggestion:
-Add options to control how many "Major cities" generate, or better yet which biome. (this might already be solved by the biome slider, indirectly)
-Weight based POI generation. As in more Tier4s inside the city itself, not in the wilderness. (factories, big tower, construction sites, sewer system exploration, all that cool lategame jazz)

Current common scenario is:
a) You find a city, it lacks Tier3-4 viable POIs. making that city "dry" for a longer stay. (common 5km+ paths once you reach Tier4 Trader Quests of that city)
b) You find a city, with many POIs, it has a fluid and beautiful transition from rural/suburbs, to city, to main district. Plenty Tier2/3s around. Some Tier4s even in that main district. 
But once you've done the Tier4s, they are "off the list", and you get sent miles away again.
(This doesn't mean those POIs become obsolete, but you don't bother with them until the loot respawns)
((sidenote quest-type suggestion: "Recapture". Previously player cleared POIs respawn with higher difficulty zombies that re-took the cleared POI from the player.))

tldr
RWG feels a little too uncontrollable, as for what you get gameplay wise in longer runs.
I hope the addition of more big tile POIs and biome sliders fixes this indirectly. But more control over city size would be nice nontheless.

short hype ramble wooo!
Really excited for a21, gonna be checking this thread every couple days for a new thing to be on the list
the worlds biggest dam couldnt hold my excitement for water rework, I'm hopeful it makes it!

On 4/8/2022 at 12:31 AM, khzmusik said:

The original idea was that the bandits and players would use the same clothing system. Is that still the idea?

No. Bandits have their own specific clothes for each bandit type and tier.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:29 AM, Blake_ said:

@faatal, I have a bunch of questions  regarding bandits and npcs in general:

1. Will they be able to jump? 

2. Will they be able to place items, like 1-block barricades for flexible covering or will they just cover and stuff like that?

3. Will they be able to drive vehicles/bikes? (I'm not sure if this one was already asked)

4. Will they have the same pathing functionalities as Zds in the pathing department? ("1-block" and "1 and 1/2-block" pathing)

5. Have you guys talked about dismemberment for npcs? If so, will they have it?

6- Can we see a sexy  brand-new WIP screenshot of bandits in progress?

Thank you very much for reading !

1 Yes

2 No. The plan is they will crouch and/or find cover

3 No

4 Yes

5 No talk, but they might use the new system the zombies have, but it is not trivial to set up on each model

6 Nothing to show right now. Still cleaning up zombie systems for bandit use and other bugs like ragdoll problems

1 hour ago, faatal said:

No. Bandits have their own specific clothes for each bandit type and tier.

1 Yes

2 No. The plan is they will crouch and/or find cover

3 No

4 Yes

5 No talk, but they might use the new system the zombies have, but it is not trivial to set up on each model

6 Nothing to show right now. Still cleaning up zombie systems for bandit use and other bugs like ragdoll problems

Will there be scantily clad bandits (male or female)?