Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 5/3/2022 at 5:43 PM, Guppycur said:

@faatal

So the two big Kickstarter things I haven't seen word about are VR support and Playing as a Zombie.

I'm curious if those two are still on the roadmap, and if so, how much attention would be given to the VR side.  Just a new camera and controller mappings or would we see hand movements and being able to pick up rocks.

Also, I'm curious if there are plans to go more into PvP.  I've only played heavily modded PVP games because the design just isn't set up for quick matches. Will there be any additional modes?

Something I've been working on is this:

https://youtu.be/azGWj_Jbd40

Also, madmole promised me horde mode would make a return.  I know you came on board after horde mode was gone but I'm wondering if you have played it or seen it or if it really is coming back.

Thanks faatal.  You may spell your name wrong but you're pretty cool. 

I don't know about the status of VR. I think if we did it, it would be basic.

I don't remember seeing Play as Zombie in the Kickstarter and I've not heard it seriously mentioned.

I would guess PVP will be more refined at some point, but I don't think anyone wants to tweak it until features and values are near completion.

We would like a return of horde mode. I have heard about the old version, but not played it.

I put the extra a in there as "fatal" tends to be already used. I started doing that for my WoW characters.

I think the zombie mode would be cool... if it was made in the style of Dark Souls.
You could allow other players in the network game settings to invade your world under the guise of zombies, and for killing a zombie player you could get more experience or better-unique loot that cannot be obtained in another way ) Just thoughts )

4 hours ago, faatal said:

I don't remember seeing Play as Zombie in the Kickstarter and I've not heard it seriously mentioned.

I would guess PVP will be more refined at some point, but I don't think anyone wants to tweak it until features and values are near completion.

We would like a return of horde mode. I have heard about the old version, but not played it.

I put the extra a in there as "fatal" tends to be already used. I started doing that for my WoW characters.

Hi there ! A while ago you promisen't

some bandit stuff and yet you showed us a Skyrim female bandit.

"Doya" got some more of that fancy screenshots?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't affect me much as I don't do PVP but it was there.

Solo, Cooperative and Multiplayer - Play solo, coop or multiplayer in our unique Zombie Nomad Mode be a human, a bandit or a zombie for a no rules experience. Watch the leader boards and fight to be the Big Clan of the Wasteland or the Duke of Navezgane.

16 hours ago, faatal said:

i will show this one about  playing as zombie

Solo, Cooperative and Multiplayer - Play solo, coop or multiplayer in our unique Zombie Nomad Mode be a human, a bandit or a zombie for a no rules experience

18 hours ago, faatal said:

You should have used Fãtãl in WoW.  I did something similar -- but people sometimes had trouble private messaging me,  lol.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:50 PM, Syphon583 said:

Good lord, is that really how it works? I could've sworn it worked as you describe, where it shows the current text of the object you are editing. I'm going to have to go back and look because that sounds awfully buggish. That cannot be intended functionality because it makes absolutely no sense.

EDIT: Ok, so I was curious so I jumped onto my PC to check it out. It works the correct way: writable items such as storage or signs DO NOT show the last label you wrote, when first writing it or editing the existing label.

So there are two possibilities:

1. It's a bug in whatever version you are using, but this is highly unlikely.
  2. The more likely explanation is you have a mod or modlet installed that is causing the issue. Which, again is probably a bug, but you'd need to take it up with the mod creator.

If you aren't using any mods, then report it as a bug. It's definitely not a feature.

EDIT #2: One additional note. You also mentioned having to retype an entire string to make an edit. This is technically true. When you go to edit a box/sign label, the entire string gets highlighted, so if you start typing, it will overwrite the entire label. However, you can use the mouse/arrow keys to place the cursor where you want to make the edit.

I will have to do some more testing.  I am running the latest stable version.  The only mod I have installed is the one that I made myself, but all it does it change the Localization.txt to Esperanto as well as the menu picture.  I sure hope it is not my mod, but I will remove it and test.  Thanks for the feedback.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:53 PM, faatal said:

That would be ok as long as it can be heavily modded. Looking at what the community was able to do to get Valheim working in VR, motion controls and all, it would be great if that were possible here somehow.

Just spoke to Madmole and he plans to give us an update on the new crafting system next week! I've played with the new system and it is definitely a different animal than anything we've had in the past and will have a major impact on gameplay. Hold onto your butts because when you hear what it entails you will most likely yourself utter those infamous words....

Spoiler

"It's a whole new game!"

--Joel Huenink

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

when you hear what it entails you will most likely yourself utter those infamous words....

Spoiler

YOU'VE BROKEN THE GAME AGAIN!!!!!   I QUIT!!!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

36 minutes ago, Roland said:

Just spoke to Madmole and he plans to give us an update on the new crafting system next week! I've played with the new system and it is definitely a different animal than anything we've had in the past and will have a major impact on gameplay. Hold onto your butts because when you hear what it entails you will most likely yourself utter those infamous words....

Reveal hidden contents

"It's a whole new game!"

--Joel Huenink

Had no idea you guys were working on the crafting system, excited to see a fresh new concept!

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Hide contents

"It's a whole new game!"

--Joel Huenink

I mean this with all respect...

Can we please STOP re-writing core systems when TFP have said, several times, they'd like to get the game to gold? Because stuff like this is just going to make it take longer, introduce more bugs, which then need fixing, etc.

7 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

I mean this with all respect...

Can we please STOP re-writing core systems when TFP have said, several times, they'd like to get the game to gold? Because stuff like this is just going to make it take longer, introduce more bugs, which then need fixing, etc.

See? This is what giving advanced warning gets us... ;)

In fairness, most of the "advanced warnings" seem to be things designed to prolong the development of the game for seemingly no viable reason. 😛

Again, not trying to be argumentative or anything, but I feel like announcements such as this MUST come with actual information about what's changing and why, because it just feeds into the "TFP are rudderless" arguments i've seen in every other dev post.

This is why people get annoyed. Because there's just massive changes done with seemingly no reason, no information and it will just drag out the development process even longer while bugs get fixed... because of the new system.

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

See? This is what giving advanced warning gets us... ;)

I don't mind core systems being reworked as long as it will bring a major improvement to the game instead of being just different, but it would be lovely if you guys wouldn't keep mod makers into the dark, I would very much appreciate that. :)

And I agree with Khaine on the information part, just saying that it's gonna have a major impact on gameplay is not enough information, more details on what's actually being changed would be lovely.

1 minute ago, KhaineGB said:

In fairness, most of the "advanced warnings" seem to be things designed to prolong the development of the game for seemingly no viable reason. 😛

Again, not trying to be argumentative or anything, but I feel like announcements such as this MUST come with actual information about what's changing and why, because it just feeds into the "TFP are rudderless" arguments i've seen in every other dev post.

This is why people get annoyed. Because there's just massive changes done with seemingly no reason, no information and it will just drag out the development process even longer while bugs get fixed... because of the new system.

These ponderings and more will be answered next week when Madmole gives more detailed advanced notice of exactly what will be coming with actual information about what's changing and why. My message was simply advance notice about the true advance notice which will be full of details-- while my advance notice is ambiguous purposely in order to avoid Madmole....displeasure.

Just now, Roland said:

These ponderings and more will be answered next week when Madmole gives more detailed advanced notice of exactly what will be coming with actual information about what's changing and why. My message was simply advance notice about the true advance notice which will be full of details-- while my advance notice is ambiguous purposely in order to avoid Madmole....displeasure.

So it's a notice of the forthcoming notice? ;)

Just now, Subquake said:

I don't mind core systems being reworked as long as it will bring a major improvement to the game instead of being just different, but it would be lovely if you guys wouldn't keep mod makers into the dark, I would very much appreciate that. :)

And I agree with Khaine on the information part, just saying that it's gonna have a major impact on gameplay is not enough information, more details on what's actually being changed would be lovely.

Again, it isn't my job to give the details-- just to stir the waters that the details are coming next week. The change isn't coming next week. You won't see the change until A21 later this year. But the details are coming next week. Today I am letting you know that details are coming next week so that you won't be in the dark about changes coming later this year.

1 minute ago, KhaineGB said:

So it's a notice of the forthcoming notice? ;)

Its an ad for forum goers to tune in next week for the announcement of what the new system will be. The new system won't hit until A21

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

The change isn't coming next week. You won't see the change until A21 later this year.

"You won't see the change until A21 sometime early-mid 2023."

There I fixed it for you.

42 minutes ago, Subquake said:

I actually requested advanced code cliff notes - doubt they will though.

49 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

What the need to fix is Zombie spawning always causing stutter. As I said in a20.5 exp post that would fix almost 60% of perceived lag on MP servers.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Hide contents

"It's a whole new game!"

--Joel Huenink

Cool, but... why? What is it about the current crafting system that makes a new one desirable?

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Reveal hidden contents

"It's a whole new game!"

--Joel Huenink

Awesome! I know there's a lot of hesitation or frustration that comes with large changes like this, but as long as it ultimately brings improvement or freshness to the gameplay, I'm all for it! Can't wait to hear the details!