Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 4/1/2023 at 8:45 PM, Roland said:

None. Just a couple of chatAI programs they left running when they left the building.

According to ChatGPT we are released.
"...as of my knowledge cutoff of September 2021, 7 Days to Die is already a released game. The game was initially released in 2013 as an early access title and has since had several updates and full releases."

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

"...as of my knowledge cutoff of September 2021, 7 Days to Die is already a released game. The game was initially released in 2013 as an early access title and has since had several updates and full releases."

That must be a relief

8 hours ago, faatal said:

That's because ChatGPT is just an advanced form of auto-correct, trained on data sourced from the internet and filtered by non native English speakers paid $2 / hour (ie GIGO).

It will be a boon for Nigerian princes who need assistance getting their inheritance...

9 hours ago, faatal said:

It may already be fixed in A21, because I made changes to the rain particle system physics settings to stop it going through roofs.

This is great news! what about light? will it be fixed that in rooms without windows it is too bright and flashes of lightning illuminate everything around?

Edited by DuHast_Play (see edit history)

On 3/28/2023 at 9:41 AM, Laz Man said:

There's at least a couple more things not noticed in those screenshots.  One big one that was mentioned but was incorrect....😁

So a couple things I noticed, not sure if they've been mentioned...

In the Trader POI
1) Working traffic control lights in front of the rolling garage doors
2) above the left third of the caterpillar I'm not sure if that's a picture, but it sure looks like a TV with a picture on it.
3) texture striations on the helipad, ♥ attention to detail.
4) How did those carpets work? The trim on them isn't uniform so I don't think they're different paints on trim blocks. Possible, but ... I feel like that might be something new.

In the new T5:
1) I don't think I've ever seen the short manicured hedges in front of the POI.
2) I don't think I've ever seen the long manicured hedges on the roof
3) I don't recall having a basketball asset before, is that somehow managed through paint, or is that a new asset?
4) Glass double doors on the solarium?

5 hours ago, DuHast_Play said:

This is great news! what about light? will it be fixed that in rooms without windows it is too bright and flashes of lightning illuminate everything around?

Yes to this. Sometimes its too bright. I adjust my video settings, then its too dark for me. Lighting effects could use some smoothing (smaller increments?). Also, it seems inconsistent in A20. Some 'days' its fine. Other times it just appears to be either too bright or too dark. Perhaps its part of weather effects, but indoors we should not see such swings in illumination.

On a completely different note; not sure if mentioned before but i'm not going to scan 211 pages of comments..
Could we possibly have it so we can zoom further out on the map? I would LOVE to see the whole map. Thanks in advance.

Can't wait for Alpha 21! Looks amazing so far ❤️ 

18 minutes ago, Sir Negan said:

On a completely different note; not sure if mentioned before but i'm not going to scan 211 pages of comments..
Could we possibly have it so we can zoom further out on the map? I would LOVE to see the whole map. Thanks in advance.

Can't wait for Alpha 21! Looks amazing so far ❤️ 

Bro used the time of not-reading 211 pages to beat the @%$# out of my man Glenn

On 4/2/2023 at 12:49 AM, Laz Man said:

Do you happen to work at an airport by chance? 😅

Nope had an "experience" with planes though...... btw...not fun.....I do not recommend it......

..........just makes sense to have something like that...Like Gup says......a small rural airport...they are scattered ALL OVER the country......why not....  Maybe thats the question....  :)

Coughs * Square Voxels * Coughs

Edited by Ouch Quit It (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, Ouch Quit It said:

Coughs * Square Voxels * Coughs

Back in the early days of the game the world was indeed portrayed with square voxels. Poor smoothing/transition between one block level and the next. OMG it was awesome once TFP improved on that!

I'd wager the reason we have voxels with diamond 'internals' is so that the smoothing effect in landscape looks more natural with better blending.

If they were to include an airfield that was made of square voxels, I doubt if any of us would like it. But, continue with the joke.

Edit: You've been around these parts for a while. Bored waiting for A21?

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Melange said:

Sometimes its too bright. I adjust my video settings, then its too dark for me. Lighting effects could use some smoothing (smaller increments?). Also, it seems inconsistent in A20. Some 'days' its fine. Other times it just appears to be either too bright or too dark.

I haven't experienced this for quite some time now, before that it happened to me regularly, especially when entering rooms that had like a half collapsed roof or something else that seemed to mess with indoor/outdoor. 

What I did change and think that might have caused the problem:

Win11 seemingly messed up my monitor color scheme/brightness/contrast settings etc.

There's a configuration file that saves said settings as a .icm (icc profile), but either windows or/and the graphics driver tend to override or else mess around with those.

Do you experience that maybe your Monitor (desktop) seems to be brighter/darker or/and has other "color temperature" sometimes after you closed a game in comparison to it was before?

Then you might have the same issue than me, said monitor profile is changed by whatever is the cause.

You'd have to try out what does override those settings (driver options?)...or as a workaround there are lil tools ("batchfiles") that can save/load different settings directly, instead of having to click yourself through all the sometimes hidden menu options.

Yeah I also suggest Subquake's Undead Legacy to extend your interest, but even that can't keep me interested in 7 Days 15/16 months after A20

Seems like we're getting close to some sort announcement though so hopefully not too much longer to wait

11 hours ago, Sir Negan said:

I have always wondered why the map zoom out is so limited.  Every alpha I keep hoping that it will be improved.

26 minutes ago, Code6 said:

I have always wondered why the map zoom out is so limited.  Every alpha I keep hoping that it will be improved.

We actually got an official answer for this once, but damned if I can remember. It was a very long time ago.

... Some sort of technical limitation. I don't know if it's still a thing, but it used to be you could explore a lot of the map and part of the  map that you already explored early on would be blacked out again.

Or a concussion has finally sunk in and I'm babbling.