Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

I've not been in Navezgane in ages. It was our introduction to the realm of 7DTD. Learn to survive and thrive there, then move on to RWG or player built maps and contiue to hone one's  skills. 

Nice idea to merge Navezgane with an RWG map, but how about trying a modded map? Expand one's horizons. Hours of fun await you.

22 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Sorry to bring up old topics again, but the new DirectStorage 1.1 release might solve that processing speed issue for you. Anandtech did a great little article on the 1.1 version, but here's the bits that would probably interest you.

Like you said, Unity would have to do the work of adding DirectStorage to the engine, but it sounds like something 7 Days would benefit from. Maybe give your Unity rep a nudge?

The processing I was referring to is our c# code converting data from say xml into bytes in memory, which a GPU is not going to help with. Reading of xml also causes a lot of secondary data to be read like loading of prefabs, which loads components, meshes, materials, shaders and textures. All of that being done by Unity.

Asking Unity for features generally have 6 months to years of lag time before you would see it in an LTS, which is the only versions we use these days.

20 hours ago, falloutcloud said:

I think the reason many of us had hoped it would release by Christmas is that Rick sounded optimistic that it could happen. We all pretty much knew that it was just a guess but I don't think that we thought he'd be off by 4 months.

Well I was optimistic too, but all it takes is one dev working on a core required feature who thinks they will be done in a month and then unforeseen problems or design changes happen and it becomes 4 or 6 months.

2 hours ago, adny said:

I wanted to convey to you, one interesting thought!
It seems to me that your concept of developing equipment, workbenches, furnaces, weapons is, in principle, not true!
The fact is that even I can’t make the machine itself on my knee. To do this, you need at least 2 machines, turning and milling. Nobody! No one can make these machines! No one can make an automatic machine, repair it, yes, make it from scratch, no.
Therefore, it is necessary not to do all this, especially after the apocalypse, there will be so much of this goodness ....
It is necessary that the player finds, machines, furnaces and so on. He brought all this to the shelter and repaired it, restored it. You can somehow learn this, do it from scratch - NEVER!
By the way, this applies to cartridges, no one can make them. Yes, according to the recipe in the game, they will be made, but they will not shoot!
And why???

It is a game and the number one rule of professional games, is to make it fun, so people will buy it and play it enough to tell their friends and repeat the cycle or you won't be making games for long because you will go broke. Most games, including 7dtd, are far from a real simulation of anything, and I'm OK with that. Where we can make it more realistic, sure, we try, but if it takes too much dev time or ruins the fun, or is overly complicated where many players would be turned off, then we skip it.

2 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

It would be really cool if when you cross the map boundaries of Navezgane, it goes into RWG. That way you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Also have an option to enable and disable that feature. 

That would require some serious engine changes, short of we just load the RWG map and drop you into it.

2 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

It would be really cool if when you cross the map boundaries of Navezgane, it goes into RWG. That way you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Also have an option to enable and disable that feature. 

If all tiles and prefabs and parts are in the normal Prefabs folder (even if they are in the do not use folder where all the AAA stuff is located), then a random map generator other than RWG that allows grouping tiles in a specific format could give you this.  It might not be exactly the same if some things aren't available, but it could mostly be done.  It would let you drop Navesgane in whole into a randomly generated map.  The main difficulty is the random placement of POI on tiles that would cause things to be located differently even if the tiles are the same.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

5 hours ago, adny said:

I wanted to convey to you, one interesting thought!
It seems to me that your concept of developing equipment, workbenches, furnaces, weapons is, in principle, not true!
The fact is that even I can’t make the machine itself on my knee. To do this, you need at least 2 machines, turning and milling. Nobody! No one can make these machines! No one can make an automatic machine, repair it, yes, make it from scratch, no.
Therefore, it is necessary not to do all this, especially after the apocalypse, there will be so much of this goodness ....
It is necessary that the player finds, machines, furnaces and so on. He brought all this to the shelter and repaired it, restored it. You can somehow learn this, do it from scratch - NEVER!
By the way, this applies to cartridges, no one can make them. Yes, according to the recipe in the game, they will be made, but they will not shoot!
And why???

For the love of all that is good and fun in this world, please don't EVER go into game development.

4 hours ago, faatal said:

It is a game and the number one rule of professional games, is to make it fun, so people will buy it and play it enough to tell their friends and repeat the cycle or you won't be making games for long because you will go broke. Most games, including 7dtd, are far from a real simulation of anything, and I'm OK with that. Where we can make it more realistic, sure, we try, but if it takes too much dev time or ruins the fun, or is overly complicated where many players would be turned off, then we skip it.

That would require some serious engine changes, short of we just load the RWG map and drop you into it.

I have always said if you want realistic but something that is realistic to do would be buy the game, play game and when you die the steam key gets disabled. You need to buy the game every time you die.

Doesn’t sound too fun to me.

Not sure how that is realistic?  Just sounds like a way to make things more of a pain than most realistic gameplay options that could be added.

If you just mean that you are dead so it should be significant, then when you died you can't play the game again would be closer to "realistic" because you are dead.  Still an odd way to look at realism in games.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 3/30/2023 at 5:17 AM, Laz Man said:

That's a custom tile set in Navezgane for Perishton which got some nice updates this Alpha.

Looks amazing Lazman!

Am I right in thinking that the bridge is a custom built asset too? Rather than part of RWG?

3 minutes ago, Pyrrhrick said:

Am I right in thinking that the bridge is a custom built asset too? Rather than part of RWG?

This is very likely. There was an attempt to integrate bridges into RWG but as far as I know it was never integrated into the stable version.

17 hours ago, meganoth said:

Why shouldn't he ? There is a market for simulations.

I wonder what a survival simulation would look like? Probably me sitting hungry in front of a pile of twigs because I can't light a fire.

21 hours ago, Melange said:

I've not been in Navezgane in ages. It was our introduction to the realm of 7DTD. Learn to survive and thrive there, then move on to RWG or player built maps and contiue to hone one's skills.

Nice idea to merge Navezgane with an RWG map, but how about trying a modded map? Expand one's horizons. Hours of fun await you.

The beauty of Navezgane is that it is made by hand.This map looks like a real-life area.It has logic when placing roads and POIs.Any RWG maps look artificial.They don't contain any logic.Everything is done according to a template.The exception will be maps that are created using custom maps of heights, biomes and water.But unfortunately, the standard RWG does not support user settings.RWG in its current form is extremely monotonous.I'd rather play on a pair of hand-crafted cards.I have played 1500 hours of them 1100+ on Navezgane in A18, A19 and A20.I tried 2 dozen RGW cards and was disappointed.
Of course, this is solely my personal opinion.

@mstdv inc you will definitely like the updated Navezgane. (meaning some new pois, updated most all of the old ones that were kept, some road and land smoothing instead of a road that even a billy goat wouldnt step on and more).

while it wont please everyone, for those who like or prefer Navezgane will like what the team has done so far. :)

oh and for the record... i love Navezgane as well and always have.

35 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I wonder what a survival simulation would look like? Probably me sitting hungry in front of a pile of twigs because I can't light a fire.

and on a rainy day to boot while a wild bear is just sizing you up. :)

23 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

Generate a 10k random world. Open it up in Photoshop. Paste in nav.  Blend the edges so that there are no weird vertical drops. Edit the prefabs XML for each world to fit the new world. Profit. Let me know when you done. 🙂 

Edited by Guppycur (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Pyrrhrick said:

Looks amazing Lazman!

Thanks, I don't deserve all the credit though.  There are several downtown_strip POIs in that screenshot.  I had the task to update one of them (the one with the shotgun messiah building).

It was a team effort to update them as well as the Perishton area.

Yes, I believe their are several hand placed bridges on the Navezgane map.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:20 PM, faatal said:

The processing I was referring to is our c# code converting data from say xml into bytes in memory, which a GPU is not going to help with. Reading of xml also causes a lot of secondary data to be read like loading of prefabs, which loads components, meshes, materials, shaders and textures. All of that being done by Unity.

Asking Unity for features generally have 6 months to years of lag time before you would see it in an LTS, which is the only versions we use these days.

Ah, ok, thanks for explaining the process. What hardware should we all be buying to handle that? Extra large caches, along the lines of the X3D Ryzens? Faster RAM?

23 hours ago, Riamus said:

Not sure how that is realistic?  Just sounds like a way to make things more of a pain than most realistic gameplay options that could be added.

If you just mean that you are dead so it should be significant, then when you died you can't play the game again would be closer to "realistic" because you are dead.  Still an odd way to look at realism in games.

It’s dumbing the question down to something that adds pain to death because it’s completely silly to say “strap a bomb to ya and when you die in game you die in real life.

Point being that realism typically is t “fun” or what we truly want 

WOW!

STILL NOT EVEN A WORD ON A21?

This will be longer then alpha 16.4.

2023 just means they have till x mas.

I wouldn't be surprised if A21 cones out in 2024.

I thought TFP had a team now?

you all working 1 day a week like the old twitter?

Well at least with TFP we all expect things to take years between major patches now,

A22 in 2026 or 2027.

Here's a Nickle, It's from Canada.

Not worth much now days.
Just like the Word of the TFP's.

That's my rant see you guys in a few months.

790.jpg