Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

28 minutes ago, eciggy said:

"Simon hit space bar, hit space bar!"

This was definitely one of the greatest moments of the whole channel 😄

btw do you remember where that poi was located? I think it was some kind of "easteregg POI" that was removed at some point...at least I can't find it anymore.

21 hours ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, until you can get honey from trees, stumps are a great source.  Not sure the exact chance to get honey, but from my experience, I usually get honey once per every 3-4 stumps.

Ahh, I see.  I didn’t start thinking about honey until after I could cut trees, so I had no idea.

22 hours ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, until you can get honey from trees, stumps are a great source.  Not sure the exact chance to get honey, but from my experience, I usually get honey once per every 3-4 stumps.

unless i am missing what you are referring to but.... from <block name="treeMaster">, you just need to read the books. :)

<drop event="Harvest" name="foodHoney" prob=".05" count="1" tag="WasteTreasuresHoneyHarvest"/>

and from the stumps

<drop event="Destroy" name="foodHoney" count="1" prob=".2"/>

A20.6_2023-03-28_15-09-22.jpg

Edited by unholyjoe
added screen shot (see edit history)

3 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

btw do you remember where that poi was located? I think it was some kind of "easteregg POI" that was removed at some point...at least I can't find it anymore.

It was a one off POI that one of them made. They later said it was the one and only time they'd do that in 7DTD. There was some place that you could download all their worlds when they were done. I can't remember for the life of me where it was, but I played on the lighthouse world for kicks and giggles.

Here were some worlds from this video series A16

Edited by Spiked_Coffee
Added link to worlds and video (see edit history)

On 3/27/2023 at 12:05 PM, Annihilatorza said:

So now I have a bit more time to look at the screen shots more closely and @Laz Man can maybe see If I am correct.

Image 1

1 Car

2 Window

3 Bus 

4 Lamp Post

5 Small Window

6 Aircon and some kind of Frame

7 Ladder and Satellite Dish

8 Umbrella

9 Skylights

10 Text

11 Window

12 Rails

13 Brick Walls

14 New Military POI

Image 2

1 New Ice Cream POI Sign

2 Curvy Brick Walls

3 Thin Bridge Rails, possible new texture

4 Gazebo

5 Bin and Vent

6 Table Tennis 

7 Umbrella Folder 

8 Umbrella Open

9 Wheel Chair

10 Bin

11 New Windows Shutter, Vent, Windows, Lattice

12 Exhaust Stack from Kitchen

13 Glass Enclosed Swimming Pool

Image 3

1 Car

2 Gazebo

3 Glass Enclosed Swimming Pool

4 Pergola

5 Rounded Walls

6 Exhaust Stack from Kitchen

7 Ladder

8 Chairs and Pergola

9 Skylight

10 Skylight

Image 4

1 Pergola Thin Wood

2 Bush

3 Lattice

4 Camping Chairs and Umbrellas

5 New POI

Now some of these are complete WAGS and some I think are pretty close.

FsKjL25WAAM8Kid.jpg

FsKjL26WAAgPncM.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And still lack of skeletons :(

1 hour ago, unholyjoe said:

unless i am missing what you are referring to but.... from <block name="treeMaster">, you just need to read the books. :)

<drop event="Harvest" name="foodHoney" prob=".05" count="1" tag="WasteTreasuresHoneyHarvest"/>

and from the stumps

<drop event="Destroy" name="foodHoney" count="1" prob=".2"/>

A20.6_2023-03-28_15-09-22.jpg

Yep, books for getting honey from trees.  Thanks for getting the drop chance info.  I was just going from experience without taking time to actually look it up. 😁

22 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

The new workbench looks great! With all the new art assets being shown recently, does this mean A21 is finally coming?

Love the new look, but I do have a question will the workstation, forge,  and any other redone crafting machines allow us to paint the floor underneath them or the wall behind them WITHOUT having to pick up the crafting station?

36 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

The new workbench looks great! With all the new art assets being shown recently, does this mean A21 is finally coming?

Man, this looks really similar to my grandfather`s one, when I was a kid and walked in his garage. Brings up some good stuff back in my mind.

Thank you Pimps ! Never stop what you do, I do mean it. 

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

This looks great!  I like that there is a different version for the unusable workbench.  I have to agree with your question... we are getting a lot of new stuff lately.  That really makes me think we're getting close.

1 hour ago, Kalex said:

Love the new look, but I do have a question will the workstation, forge,  and any other redone crafting machines allow us to paint the floor underneath them or the wall behind them WITHOUT having to pick up the crafting station?

That is definitely a pain.  It's tricky, but you can get most of it as it is now, but not all.  It can be a waste of paint if you're not painting an entire surface the same as under/behind a workbench, but since paint is easy to make, I'll just use Fill to paint the entire floor or wall and then make whatever changes to the floor and wall that aren't covered by the workbench if needed.  I'm not really expecting them to change how that works.

On 3/20/2023 at 4:51 PM, Thug Hunter said:

@faatal

Could you explain this to me? One thing I noticed about 7 Days is the fact that turning the graphics down usually doesn't have an impact on performance on high loads such as lots of zombies or uniquely place bocks placed by the player or removed. Matter of fact, my GPU would be more utilized by the game under less stress (less blocks and zombies) which would yield more frames despite the graphical setting I was at. So what I assume is the rendering loop is the same as the game loop for calculations? So the game won't render until its done calculating all the blocks and zombies? Cause it doesn't matter how much I turn down the graphics or how low resolution I make the game. After reaching 40 zombies or destroying and placing lots of blocks. I would get a performance decrease despite the graphics settings being high or low. Or it would be very minimal that it would not make a difference. Also the game seems to do fine with 30 zombies, but anymore zombies give exponentially less performance in frames, and some zombies would not respond to the player as if there is a hard limit. So is all the zombie pathing calculated separately or together? And if all these cases previously shown has something to do with how the game was initially made, how hard would it be to rework how pathing is calculated and how the game loop works. I don't know how your games works fully and I could be wrong, I don't know much about unity or use unity. So take this with salt because the point I'm trying to get is the less hardware your game needs to run, the more people can play it, but that also includes the ability for the game to utilize all of the processing power of the hardware.

Many interactions between game code and Unity have to be done on the main thread, so that often is the FPS bottleneck regardless of what the GPU is doing.

Zombie pathing is complex. There is shared data calculated around each player or group of players and then that shared data is used by each AI to find a path, but that step runs on one or more threads. A21 has changes to throttle the path request rates based on AI distance from players, but is buggy and not done.

This might have been answered previously, but I remember that during November there was hope that A21 would get released before Christmas. That obviously didn't happen, but we're close to being in April now. 

Without going into the "when will you release the kraken" discussion, could you guys explain what lead to that big of a planning delay ?

3 hours ago, beHypE said:

This might have been answered previously, but I remember that during November there was hope that A21 would get released before Christmas. That obviously didn't happen, but we're close to being in April now.

Well the hope that the game will be released before Christmas is still there. It's just Christmas 2023.

I might have mentioned this a while back but it'd be cool if there was like a Harpoon Rope weapon mod that let you throw spears for the power attack again while just having it automatically return to the player after it lands. Would still be a trade off because of it being slower than power stabbing but having options for different situations would be nice.

11 hours ago, faatal said:

Many interactions between game code and Unity have to be done on the main thread, so that often is the FPS bottleneck regardless of what the GPU is doing.

Zombie pathing is complex. There is shared data calculated around each player or group of players and then that shared data is used by each AI to find a path, but that step runs on one or more threads. A21 has changes to throttle the path request rates based on AI distance from players, but is buggy and not done.

From what I understand from your comment and previous reports @faatal, there are two serious bugs that need to be fixed for the release of A21:
This zombie AI error you mentioned and the random hole in the ground of POI when quest resetting. Please, can you share with us something about the status of this second bug? (sorry if that was answered previously)
Thank you and good work 

8 hours ago, beHypE said:

Without going into the "when will you release the kraken" discussion, could you guys explain what lead to that big of a planning delay ?

I think the hope of release by Christmas was a community hope and not in any way promoted by TFP, so there isn't a "planning delay".  They have always said "when it's done", so there no one telling us any expected release dates.  As they have mentioned here, they are working on critical bugs and there won't be a release until those are fixed.  The fact that we are seeing more screenshots suggests it may be getting closer, but they'll likely still do the normal streams and stuff before release, so even if they were ready now, we'd still be a month or so off (not sure the normal timeframe for those lead-ups to release).  Of course, they may be showing more screenshots just to calm people down and it may not have anything to do with being close to release. :)

Btw, people always assume "by Christmas" for a game that is near release (even just a new alpha in this case) because they expect companies to get things out for the Steam sale.  But TFP doesn't seem to be concerned about trying to jump through the Steam sale hoops, which is a good thing because companies that do are often ones that release games with game-breaking bugs that weren't fixed because they ran out of time before the deadline to be in the sale.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)