Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Lets not forget that players will be able to melee through holes in doors....Will leave that thought with you guys to theorycraft.  😎

I was wondering how this works.  How is it that you determine if you are attacking through a door versus attacking the door?  Just if there is a zombie behind it?  Or do only tools break down doors now?  Curious to how it will work.

3 minutes ago, faatal said:

I ported the penetration code from ranged to melee, so in certain cases the spear can...

Stab through walls without immediately destroying the block? Not to mention stab through multiple grouped up zombies.

1 minute ago, Riamus said:

I was wondering how this works.  How is it that you determine if you are attacking through a door versus attacking the door?  Just if there is a zombie behind it?  Or do only tools break down doors now?  Curious to how it will work.

Iirc they were planning on having the door's "hitbox" adjust and try to match the door's altered shape.

3 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Newer doors are using mesh colliders, so colliders do not cover the holes in the door. Meaning you can shoot or hit through.

46 minutes ago, Roland said:

Its a more powerful thrust.

Its been said I have a powerfull thrust ;)

28 minutes ago, faatal said:

I ported the penetration code from ranged to melee, so in certain cases the spear can...

Let me know if u need help.   Im skilled in various forms of penetration.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, faatal said:

Newer doors are using mesh colliders, so colliders do not cover the holes in the door. Meaning you can shoot or hit through.

Can zombie  hit players through hole or not? Because if you have almost destored doors and if zombie coudn't hit you you could spam "stunned"attack (  like sledgehammer power attack) and be able to clean room pretty save

19 hours ago, Roland said:

Some good guesses and one very very very good solution by Uncle AI. My clue does reference a character in the Hunger Games and in particular something he did "in" the 75th Hunger Games and it does signify changes to a weapon we use in our game that he used in that game-- which Uncle AI pretty much hit squarely on the head. Needless to say, if you ever thought the spear was lackluster and wished it did a bit more damage plus a power thrust rather than a throwing attack you will be happy. 

If you only played the game because throwing the spear was one of the core elements of the game for you....I guess let's get #speargate started....

Finally! A way to defeat my old nemesis.... The Ninja Rabbit. I can hear their little cries of "skweeeee" as I stab them with the spear. Stab....skweeee....stab....skweee..... yeah baby!!

13 hours ago, faatal said:

Awesome! That alone is great but...

Don't tell me that means 'The Penetrator' perk will also function when using a spear?

That would be like, I don't know, synergy in the Perception tree or something.

2 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

Obviously photshopped. The grenade disappears when it would normally hit the door. I call hax.

Gonna need you to show us more of this supposed "new tech" to convince me...

Well, better than mine last brain cell just before asleep, which just stared at the loops, waiting for an explosion. 

Gonna be so much fun with that kind of physics added. 

On 10/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, schwanz9000 said:

image.gif

Looking forward to the many cries of outrage and firm belief that there's something wrong with the door mesh/opening because they lobbed a grenade and blew themself dead (or on fire). It's going to definetly be the fault of a dev and not the fact the player couldn't find the hole and get it in. 

1 hour ago, Jinx_DG said:

Looking forward to the many cries of outrage and firm belief that there's something wrong with the door mesh/opening because they lobbed a grenade and blew themself dead (or on fire). It's going to definetly be the fault of a dev and not the fact the player couldn't find the hole and get it in. 

i had already marked it on my event calendar for when a21 drops... so yeah, i fully expect it as well. :)

like people dropping a molotov thru the iron bars they are standing on... :)

@faatal, good day to you sir !  I have a couple of questions :

1- Any news about bandits? Specifically, do you know if they are in and working at some level?

2- What are you working on at the moment? 

3- Can you give us a cool a21 screenshot? It would ignite the hype train and give us something to talk about.

Thanks in advance!