Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

4 hours ago, Tabby said:

Thank you for the welcome. Kind, kill, close enough. The building is fun. I just don't like the idea of being shot at while I'm still in the wood club phase. Brings back memories of growing up with 3 older brothers. 

It would be good to have separate options for wandering bandits vs all bandits. That way you could eliminate the big brother syndrome but still have challenging bandit inhabited destinations to go to that are different than the zombie infested ones but still not get bothered by bullets while building your base. 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

It would be good to have separate options for wandering bandits vs all bandits. That way you could eliminate the big brother syndrome but still have challenging bandit inhabited destinations to go to that are different than the zombie infested ones but still not get bothered by bullets while building your base. 

Will bandit type/difficulty be tied to gamestage like zombies? Like only running into melee-only bandits if your gamestage was low? If they are specifically worried about encountering strong ranged bandits early game, I would think the gamestage would help prevent that. (like how you shouldn't run into a wandering horde with irradiated zombies if you're still in early game phase)

Unless you purposefully walk into the boss room of a bandit infested location or something

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

Will bandit type/difficulty be tied to gamestage like zombies? Like only running into melee-only bandits if your gamestage was low? If they are specifically worried about encountering strong ranged bandits early game, I would think the gamestage would help prevent that. (like how you shouldn't run into a wandering horde with irradiated zombies if you're still in early game phase)

Unless you purposefully walk into the boss room of a bandit infested location or something

Yes. Bandits will definitely be gamestaged. You would only run into them in the early game if you intentionally went into a gamestage buffed zone like the Wasteland, Snow, or Desert biomes.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Yes. Bandits will definitely be gamestaged. You would only run into them in the early game if you intentionally went into a gamestage buffed zone like the Wasteland, Snow, or Desert biomes.

So does this mean biome spawns can be tied to gamestage now? Or are they just going to use separate groups for each biome like they do now? Gamestaged biome spawns would be amazing.

2 hours ago, bdubyah said:

So does this mean biome spawns can be tied to gamestage now? Or are they just going to use separate groups for each biome like they do now? Gamestaged biome spawns would be amazing.

I'm just guessing, but the wording suggests that those biomes just add a fixed value to your actual gamestage.  So if your gamestage is 50, desert might be 65 and wasteland 75, for example.  Then spawns are just tied to that.

If that is how the biomes are more challenging, it makes sense why they never actually feel any more challenging other than that zombies in the wasteland seem to swarm when you start a quest or that there are more bears in the wasteland and snow biomes to deal with.  The only thing that really seems more challenging is driving in the wasteland or landing a gyrocopter in the wasteland (not on a road).  The last is..... interesting. Lol.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

I'm just guessing, but the wording suggests that those biomes just add a fixed value to your actual gamestage.  So if your gamestage is 50, desert might be 65 and wasteland 75, for example.  Then spawns are just tied to that.

If that is how the biomes are more challenging, it makes sense why they never actually feel any more challenging other than that zombies in the wasteland seem to swarm when you start a quest or that there are more bears in the wasteland and snow biomes to deal with.  The only thing that really seems more challenging is driving in the wasteland or landing a gyrocopter in the wasteland (not on a road).  The last is..... interesting. Lol.

Well, that would still be new, which is what I was wondering about. Biome spawns are currently fixed, and they never change no matter your level. Biomes modify lootstage, but that's it in A20. Yes, the wasteland has some specific, tougher spawns, but they are still fixed. You'll notice you never see rad zombies wondering around in vanilla outside of bloodmoons. Even wandering hordes only use regular zombies I think. Being able to have biome spawns dynamically change would be awesome.

15 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

Well, that would still be new, which is what I was wondering about. Biome spawns are currently fixed, and they never change no matter your level. Biomes modify lootstage, but that's it in A20. Yes, the wasteland has some specific, tougher spawns, but they are still fixed. You'll notice you never see rad zombies wondering around in vanilla outside of bloodmoons. Even wandering hordes only use regular zombies I think. Being able to have biome spawns dynamically change would be awesome.

That hasn't been my experience with A20. Gamestage and Lootstage got boosted. You can view your gamestage on the allies screen and it dynamically changes when you enter into a tougher biome. I don't know exactly how bandits will fit into gamestage. Faatal would have to answer that.

EDIT: I see you were talking about wilderness spawns rather than sleeper volumes.... yeah, I don't know whether wilderness spawns are affected by gamestage and how bandits will fit into that. There may be no wilderness spawns of bandits-- simply wandering groups of them and fixed POI spawns of them.

5 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Well they haven't even released 20.7 with the Twitch stuff yet. I assume that'll have to happen before there's any talk of the dev streams

Not sure. What happens in twitch stays in twitch 😉. At least for me.

If the devs want to talk about new A21 features they could do that independently of a 20.7 which would consist of only bug fixes and twitch features.

7 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Well they haven't even released 20.7 with the Twitch stuff yet. I assume that'll have to happen before there's any talk of the dev streams

I believe A20.7 is simply a build Prime uses for his twitch stream that includes A21 twitch integration features for testing. It’s possible they could push it out to everyone but I think the public will jump from A20.6 to A21. 

i mostly use contact grenades for horde night but to make that i need a workbench. but to obtain crafting materials for both i need a wrench to take apart cars. and to make a wrench i need duct tape, mostly i dont find lots of ductape or glue in loot.  if i wanted to make a supply of explosive arrows/bolts and grenades for my family and friends i play with will not be possible since i need lots of duct tape. or lets say i wanted to craft a bunch of workstations but it needs a claw hammer and a wrench. and it takes duct tape to craft both hammer and wrench.

and if it was "trying to make the game feel more survival like", survivors would keep those water jars and refill it

1 hour ago, EliminationXYT said:

i mostly use contact grenades for horde night but to make that i need a workbench. but to obtain crafting materials for both i need a wrench to take apart cars. and to make a wrench i need duct tape, mostly i dont find lots of ductape or glue in loot.  if i wanted to make a supply of explosive arrows/bolts and grenades for my family and friends i play with will not be possible since i need lots of duct tape. or lets say i wanted to craft a bunch of workstations but it needs a claw hammer and a wrench. and it takes duct tape to craft both hammer and wrench.

and if it was "trying to make the game feel more survival like", survivors would keep those water jars and refill it

In my A21 play I have been able to make duct tape without any issue. In my current play it is Day 13 and I have just built my third dew collector which means I will passively gain 9 water per day on top of whatever I find in loot and boil. I'm playing 40 minute days as well so that would compare to being able to have 3 dew collectors by about Day 8 using 60 minute days or day 4 using 120 minute days. Yes, I have to make some choices about what I use for drinking water and what I use for recipes  but after I get a few more dew collectors I see myself graduating from that situation to having stacks and stacks of water ready to be turned into stacks and stacks of glue beyond my own hydration needs and that is exactly the point of the change. The game is supposed to be a progression but empty jars together with having recipes unlocked by skill points bypassed any type of progressive gameplay. Now it is true that if you are playing longer days your water will collect more slowly as it is three water per day and not three water per real time timer. But that simply means you should focus on getting lots of dew collectors going as a priority right from the beginning.

It may not be possible to make a supply of explosive arrows and bolts and grenades during the first week or two but do you really need those during the first two horde nights anyway? Not only that, but will you even be able to craft the recipes for explosive arrows and bolts and grenades during the first couple of weeks anyway? If you focus your efforts on developing your water supply early on then by time you need lots of explosives you should easily have the means to craft what you need. I agree that it probably won't be possible to have explosives in time for your first horde night but in my opinion it has been OP for the first horde night anyway.

I understand that someone might like that sort of gameplay where they start out OP from the beginning and be mad that the devs are forcing them to start out weak and progressively develop their skills and knowledge to become strong and then eventually super strong and then even over-powered for anything the game can throw at them. Sorry, but that is the game the developers are creating and they have provided us with the creative menu and godmode if we want to bypass the progression aspect of the game and have the powerful stuff earlier.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

In my A21 play I have been able to make duct tape without any issue. In my current play it is Day 13 and I have just built my third dew collector which means I will passively gain 9 water per day on top of whatever I find in loot and boil.

Did you get all 3 filters from the trader or did you finally find one? 

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Did you get all 3 filters from the trader or did you finally find one? 

I bought all three. I have found a filter before but it definitely is a rare occurance. By contrast, both my original trader and the one I went to next had filters and my first trader (Rekt) had filters after each restock. Also I could have chosen to take a filter as a reward for completing the tier one quests (but I chose the bike instead). So filters are very easily obtained and in numbers necessary to make a full dew collector farm if you use the trader. Currently they cost 1500 dukes a piece.

5 hours ago, Roland said:

It may not be possible to make a supply of explosive arrows and bolts and grenades during the first week or two but do you really need those during the first two horde nights anyway? Not only that, but will you even be able to craft the recipes for explosive arrows and bolts and grenades during the first couple of weeks anyway? If you focus your efforts on developing your water supply early on then by time you need lots of explosives you should easily have the means to craft what you need. I agree that it probably won't be possible to have explosives in time for your first horde night but in my opinion it has been OP for the first horde night anyway.

If you set  180 minutes per day and get a lot EXP fast - welll granades can be useful during early blood moons

49 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

If you set  180 minutes per day and get a lot EXP fast - welll granades can be useful during early blood moons

For now....nobody ever said having OP weapons wasn't useful. But, no amount of XP gained at any speed is going to get you the recipe for granades in A21. You gotta read enough of the right magazines and good luck forcing that into a speed run strategy.

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

For now....nobody ever said having OP weapons wasn't useful. But, no amount of XP gained at any speed is going to get you the recipe for granades in A21. You gotta read enough of the right magazines and good luck forcing that into a speed run strategy.

Hard to say how this could be done - i didn't played A21 so idk what give a lot of exp - but if i good remember - you told that more perks in X mean more books right? So.... if max limit is 180 minutes per day or more depending if TFP add more minutes per day max + 2 people = i'm totaly sure that's a way to gain granades before day 15 without using cheats. Just need to learn new PoI's + fast gain bike