Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Those of you imagining all sorts of new features associated with a "water update" should lower your expectations. It is a water update to fix the current state of water and not to bring Subnautica into the mix.

I guess I’ll just settle for being able to ride my boat and shoot zeds on the shore as I fly off a flowing waterfall into the rippling whitecaps below. ;)

I do hope that “water is used up as you take from it” stays in some form just so you can’t use 1 water block at your base forever. If it has the capacity to “flow” downhill at all I would be elated, even if it accidentally floods a town it would still be neat. I really like it when there’s “something underwater to swim to” like a chest (there’s a desert mine? POI that uses this) and it’s not used a lot but if it flowed then it might make a nice use of “traps” (like underground) to catch the player and make them have to move fast/backpedal as a room fills up.

I might have asked this before but is there any possibility or ideas to have “red” (or any nastier looking) water blocks? I could see this useful for POI builders

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I'm not adding new information. I'm just reiterating what I already said....

The main goals are that it 1) spawns correctly in rwg, 2) behaves well around other blocks, and 3) doesn't hurt performance.

Those of you imagining all sorts of new features associated with a "water update" should lower your expectations. It is a water update to fix the current state of water and not to bring Subnautica into the mix. There are lots of water associated features that people really want TFP to add to the game and pretty much all of these are probably beyond the scope of what they are doing for A21. The current impact of water in the game is likely to remain mostly the same but water blocks are broken in a number of ways and they are set on fixing them. 

Sorry to be a downer. If you expect water to mostly stay the same as far as gameplay but be fixed and no longer act buggy or wonky like it currently does then you will have reasonable expectations and IF TFP does something extra or adds a water related feature or two then it will be a happy surprise.

7d2d players be like...lizard-dance.gif.26fe60ffbfb740233f03d003610fcd12.gif

4 hours ago, Roland said:

I'm not adding new information. I'm just reiterating what I already said....

The main goals are that it 1) spawns correctly in rwg, 2) behaves well around other blocks, and 3) doesn't hurt performance.

Those of you imagining all sorts of new features associated with a "water update" should lower your expectations. It is a water update to fix the current state of water and not to bring Subnautica into the mix. There are lots of water associated features that people really want TFP to add to the game and pretty much all of these are probably beyond the scope of what they are doing for A21. The current impact of water in the game is likely to remain mostly the same but water blocks are broken in a number of ways and they are set on fixing them. 

Sorry to be a downer. If you expect water to mostly stay the same as far as gameplay but be fixed and no longer act buggy or wonky like it currently does then you will have reasonable expectations and IF TFP does something extra or adds a water related feature or two then it will be a happy surprise.

Well, there is an entire Yacht POI in the world editor, I assume as soon as water is where TFP wants it to be for A21 they will 'turn on a switch' and we will start seeing a yacht POI in alpha 21 generated maps.

That said, my expectations for water are mostly scoped around what you said.

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Well, there is an entire Yacht POI in the world editor, I assume as soon as water is where TFP wants it to be for A21 they will 'turn on a switch' and we will start seeing a yacht POI in alpha 21 generated maps.

Technically, there are already water POIs in the game......Navezgane.  From a level design perspective, we have talked about more water specific POIs but nothing more then that currently.

all i want is for water to be flat on the top and if a block is placed underwater then removed that the block is replaced with water and not an air block as it seem it does now! just to be able to build a castle with a moat and not have holes in the surface of the water would be a win!

1 hour ago, POCKET951 said:

Really? I had no idea. Guess there's a lot of hidden gems within the POI files. What's the name of the prefab?

12 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Was there anything further on the potential solution for windows being so taxing? I think it might have been Faatal said he was looking at that?

Yes, I added block tech that allows some mesh "sides" to be opaque and others transparent, so a window block can have a frame and glass with each being in the chunk's combines meshes, instead of each window being a separate prop, which did make for a lot of draw calls. Allan has made many window blocks using this tech for the POIs.

I still have a few tasks with drops from and how upgrades work with those blocks, but nothing major.

On 6/2/2022 at 1:39 PM, Doomofman said:

The way they phrased the tweet will make plenty of people think it's going to be drivable. Wouldn't exactly see the point in that myself (and I think it's just a prop anyway)

It is just a tractor model used by a tractor block and not a vehicle. You can't drive it.

1 hour ago, spud42 said:

all i want is for water to be flat on the top and if a block is placed underwater then removed that the block is replaced with water and not an air block as it seem it does now! just to be able to build a castle with a moat and not have holes in the surface of the water would be a win!

The water simulation is completely new code. It flows into neighbor blocks that are marked to allow it, like into air blocks.  Water is no longer a block. It is a water voxel, which means the water voxel can be in the same place as a block, so you could have water flowing into and past grass, a fence or a pole block.

The game is not a real water simulator. The new water sim is designed to be performant and work in a basic fashion that makes sense for our game play.

51 minutes ago, faatal said:

The water simulation is completely new code. It flows into neighbor blocks that are marked to allow it, like into air blocks.  Water is no longer a block. It is a water voxel, which means the water voxel can be in the same place as a block, so you could have water flowing into and past grass, a fence or a pole block.

The game is not a real water simulator. The new water sim is designed to be performant and work in a basic fashion that makes sense for our game play.

isn't water also a voxel in minecraft?

4 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

isn't water also a voxel in minecraft?

Voxels are just cubes of data with the world being full of those cubes. Blocks are voxels, but we call them blocks. Water is no longer a block, it is separate data, so it is no longer a block voxel, but a water voxel.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Voxels are just cubes of data with the world being full of those cubes. Blocks are voxels, but we call them blocks. Water is no longer a block, it is separate data, so it is no longer a block voxel, but a water voxel.

Hi faatal! I have a few questions regarding water:

1. Does it allow for you guys to create rivers and waterfalls without any visual or performance problems?

2. How does "placing a block inside the new water voxel" work? Does the voxel disappear and the other voxels go around or does it have another behaviour altogether?

3. Does the new water allow for stuff like SS Reflections, other advanced dynamic reflections,  and/or even shadow and fancy volumetric ray reflections or other post-processing shenanigans?

4. Are swimming animations or other underwater animations (like combat)  planned for players and npcs?

5. Have you guys talked about improvements for underwater gameplay, like kelp, rocks, or dangers (sharks, piranhas, Snowdog in a swimsuit)?

6. In your opinion, how much better will the new water be in terms of performace compared to the current one at top graphics?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

On 6/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, Roland said:

If you go out and loot you will find magazines. If you stay at the base you won't. That's how it's balanced.

If I can build a gyrocopter in my base, I should be able to build a printing press!

Take THAT balance!

👻

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

15 hours ago, Morloc said:

If I can build a gyrocopter in my base, I should be able to build a printing press!

Take THAT balance!

👻

Dude you can already walk around with enough steel, iron and cement to build a large almost skyscraper. Your hands should be more than strong enough to grind up and compress some wood pulp.

16 hours ago, Morloc said:

Take THAT balance!

👻

You won’t be able to build that gyrocopter until you read enough of the right magazine.

You will also be able to craft a printing press if you can find and read enough of that magazine. Good Luck!

On 6/4/2022 at 11:25 AM, faatal said:

I guess this means no longer picking up water blocks in survival after an explosion dropped 'em... ;)

Although in fairness, that bug was fixed :D