Alpha 20 Dev Diary

4 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Do any of these visually change the vehicles? Or are they similar to tools in workstations, that just affect functionality but aren't visible on the models themselves?

I'm asking because, back when vehicle mods were first introduced to us, it sounded like they would introduce something like player clothing but for vehicles. Like, the "cow catcher" on the front of the 4x4 wouldn't be there originally, it would be a mod.

If that is being worked on for vehicles, it might mean that progress is being made on replacing UMA for players. So I'm genuinely curious.

No visual changes other than the cosmetic mods (dyes) tint parts of the vehicle. The headlight mod does make more light.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, faatal said:

Some of them.

Storage changes are not trivial. Maybe after a20.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the "Super Charger" mod and what does it do exactly? 

2. Is there any mod planned to make climbing moderate hills/ slopes easier ?

4 hours ago, faatal said:

No visual changes other than the cosmetic mods (dyes) tint parts of the vehicle. The headlight mod does make more light.

That's a bummer... visual changes to the vehicle when you add mods are not only for aesthetics, they also give to us (players) a sense of progression and attainment IMO.

I understand it's a LOT of work, so I won't complain, I'm just saying it should be added in the future since it's not only nice to have but also good for better immersion.

• Sympathy 1
20 hours ago, faatal said:

These are the planned vehicle mods:

Fuel Saver - Works

Off Road Headlights - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

Reserve Fuel Tank - Working on today

None of them are fully done, since they still need icons, schematics and put in loot lists.

Drone should be in a20.

Could you expand on the expanded seat. For instance does that mean we can finally take a passenger on the motorcycle and pop a couple more people in back of the 4x4? Will it also affect the minibike? Bicycle I can see staying as single seater...

9 hours ago, pregnable said:

I dare you to share more information on the clothing sets that have not been discussed yet, unless you are scared...

Plant fiber set being viable when high enough quality sounded interesting. 

Sure. I know exactly nothing about what they have planned. ;)

21 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the "Super Charger" mod and what does it do exactly? 

2. Is there any mod planned to make climbing moderate hills/ slopes easier ?

1 Increases the normal and turbo speed caps, so it lets you move faster.

2 No plans, but it could be done by increasing wheel torque, but don't think I'm changing that for a20.

15 hours ago, Gamida said:

Could you expand on the expanded seat. For instance does that mean we can finally take a passenger on the motorcycle and pop a couple more people in back of the 4x4? Will it also affect the minibike? Bicycle I can see staying as single seater...

It will add more seats to a vehicle. The 4x4 is the one I will be doing first. The others will depend on how much time I have and if they look ok bolting a person on and if not, then will need model changes, which means artists and more time.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, faatal said:

It will add more seats to a vehicle. The 4x4 is the one I will be doing first. The others will depend on how much time I have and if they look ok bolting a person on and if not, then will need model changes, which means artists and more time.

I think bicycles and minibikes are better balanced with just as they are in terms of seats, meaning just the one for each. Yet both of them should use baskets, which would be a no go for higher tiers. An additional seat for the motorbike and a total of 4 seats for the 4x4 is plenty as a luxury mod IMO. So having lower tiers can have cons, but they could achieve a good storage size  through mods even with their flaws at the cost of not having some of the more advanced mods, like seats or turbo (would turn the bicycle on fire).

22 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I think bicycles and minibikes are better balanced with just as they are in terms of seats, meaning just the one for each. Yet both of them should use baskets, which would be a no go for higher tiers. An additional seat for the motorbike and a total of 4 seats for the 4x4 is plenty as a luxury mod IMO. So having lower tiers can have cons, but they could achieve a good storage size  through mods even with their flaws at the cost of not having some of the more advanced mods, like seats or turbo (would turn the bicycle on fire).

Fully modded bike...

Spoiler

• Haha 1

Probably been brought up before, but have you thought about letting us craft and grow snowberries, for players that want to farm early, and have no luck with seeds? 

Sure they are kinda crappy, but better than nothing if you have like 10+ farms and no food to grow in them, heh. 

Not a big deal, but if it were an option I would be using them in my current game.  Strange game where I am on day 21, and have found no corn yet. 

The trader has yet to even sell anything that I can turn into seeds.  Half my farms are straight up empty, heh. 

58 minutes ago, pregnable said:

Probably been brought up before, but have you thought about letting us craft and grow snowberries, for players that want to farm early, and have no luck with seeds? 

Sure they are kinda crappy, but better than nothing if you have like 10+ farms and no food to grow in them, heh. 

Not a big deal, but if it were an option I would be using them in my current game.  Strange game where I am on day 21, and have found no corn yet. 

The trader has yet to even sell anything that I can turn into seeds.  Half my farms are straight up empty, heh. 

Are you getting out and looking?

I've normally swimming in corn before I can start growing it, and on low loot settings as well.  Be sure to check garbage bags and trash piles, those are my #1 source for seeds.

Potatoes and eggs are my stopping block normally, but whenever you can clear grass from the sides of the roads to look for the plants and nests.

And around residences, some of those have gardens, but most of the jerks liked Yucca and Blueberries.....

30 minutes ago, Darthjake said:

Are you getting out and looking?

I've normally swimming in corn before I can start growing it, and on low loot settings as well.  Be sure to check garbage bags and trash piles, those are my #1 source for seeds.

Potatoes and eggs are my stopping block normally, but whenever you can clear grass from the sides of the roads to look for the plants and nests.

And around residences, some of those have gardens, but most of the jerks liked Yucca and Blueberries.....

Normally I have more than I do in my current game, probably just bad luck, although I usually never have a bunch of seeds early on. 

I now play on insane/always nightmare run/64 zombies/horde every night/permadeath... so I do not get around as much as I would like heh. 

I have not found any of the usual crops randomly in the main 2 towns I have been searching. 

This is not a food issue though, I have plenty to eat, but I have farm plots with cotton, goldenrod and aloe atm, because I have nothing else, heh. 

On day 21 and I do not even have a coffee seed.  I just left like 10+ farm plots empty because I dont really need that much cotton, and still making more aloe seeds. 

I doubt they would put snowberry seeds in if they did not put in recipes for them though. 

Since I posted this I will probably find a bunch of seeds in the next kitchen I search, heh.  Either that or I can go into the snow biome, since it is nearby, if they are still full of blueberries.