Jump to content

Alpha 20 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

True that. Grass wasn't "made" by faatal, along with all the assets and POIs and the drone wasn't "made" by Steven along with the visual mods in it, but the code and the bugs, -even though less apparent at first sight- are always miles above a 30-day 3d model. Programming takes months. A whole 3d model, no matter how detailed, can be made in little less than a month, month and a half counting animations and bugs. Still waaay less than AI behaviour (both single and multiplayer), which takes 10+ months to get in top shape.

Its cool to appreciate any given aspect of development.  However, its a team effort and there is no reason to draw lines which component is  greater/lessor.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found "headcuts" to be repetitive and exactly the same animation across every single decapitation with the machete. Not really impressed because  I predicted exactly that: the falling head needs 2 or 3 different  animations to have a consistent and non-repetitive visual impact. Right now it looks a bit 90's zombie arcade machine videogame feature. 

 

On the other side, the limbs are ok, they could be improved with custom bones showing and some movement in the cutted pieces, but the basic implementation seems ok.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

 

Naw they didn't use nothing special as far as items. Just a normal club and machete. But he did tell him to put in something in the console commands. I forget what it was but that is why it was happening.

Yes, it was a console command for 100% dismemberment.

24 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I found "headcuts" to be repetitive and exactly the same animation across every single decapitation with the machete. Not really impressed because  I predicted exactly that: the falling head needs 2 or 3 different  animations to have a consistent and non-repetitive visual impact. Right now it looks a bit 90's zombie arcade machine videogame feature. 

 

On the other side, the limbs are ok, they could be improved with custom bones showing and some movement in the cutted pieces, but the basic implementation seems ok.

It is far from being done. It was not planned as an A20 feature, but looks like it will be in A20 for some amount of zombies. There will be a lot more tweaking as Steve and Ryan (artist) work on it and changes can continue through experimental and into A20 point releases.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Blake_ said:

 

 

The drone was impressive. It is a HUGE system with lots and lots of niche cases and even then he fixed and shipped them ALL (except maybe the sneaking-sound behaviour for the drone). I didn't expect it to be so polished and well done, it definitely was the right choice to wait for it to cook properly AND with mods. There's always bugs, but it was one of my favourites. Well done Steven! 

Well in my opinion drones it small- like it should be 1,5x bigger

 

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Yes, it was a console command for 100% dismemberment.

It is far from being done. It was not planned as an A20 feature, but looks like it will be in A20 for some amount of zombies. There will be a lot more tweaking as Steve and Ryan (artist) work on it and changes can continue through experimental and into A20 point releases.

@faatal i have big request: would you kindly show us newsstand from A20? Because we saw a lot but not the most important thing! PLEAAASE

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@faatal weren't the weather cycles a bit too short? How much do they last? It was difficult to tell as you guys were changing the time constantly to show us stuff, but the one cycle we did see was not big.  

 

Weather has a big impact on the gameplay feeling and player psyche, so if a rainy day suddenly turns into  a blackout fog and after 5 minutes into a sunny day I might have to hire a shrink after a couple of days playing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal weren't the weather cycles a bit too short? How much do they last? It was difficult to tell as you guys were changing the time constantly to show us stuff, but the one cycle we did see was not big.  

 

Weather has a big impact on the gameplay feeling and player psyche, so if a rainy day suddenly turns into  a blackout fog and after 5 minutes into a sunny day I might have to hire a shrink after a couple of days playing.

 

Parent: What a lovely day outside. *Looks up at the sky* Those are some ominous looking clouds rolling in. Timmy, come inside for a few minutes until the storm passes!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal weren't the weather cycles a bit too short? How much do they last? It was difficult to tell as you guys were changing the time constantly to show us stuff, but the one cycle we did see was not big.  

 

Weather has a big impact on the gameplay feeling and player psyche, so if a rainy day suddenly turns into  a blackout fog and after 5 minutes into a sunny day I might have to hire a shrink after a couple of days playing.

I think that should also depend on your day-length setting.

60 mins days means that 1 hour has passed every 2.5 real minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I think that should also depend on your day-length setting.

60 mins days means that 1 hour has passed every 2.5 real minutes.

Well I would set it up to change 2 times a day, not 12. My shrink is still waiting for an appointment. Not sure if it's due to the weather though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Well I would set it up to change 2 times a day, not 12. My shrink is still waiting for an appointment. Not sure if it's due to the weather though.

You forget 7D2D world is post-apocalyptic.

Weather could be different and more extreme or varied, on average, than the standard (this could be some lore explanation for that).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have Alloc's written(or a good summation) statement from last night's Dev stream concerning mod changes?     Prime went through it fairly quickly and for the life of me, I cannot find it in his VOD... I know it was at some point after the Q&A started, but just can't find it!     

Edited by JoeDaFrogman (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Weather has a big impact on the gameplay feeling and player psyche, so if a rainy day suddenly turns into  a blackout fog and after 5 minutes into a sunny day I might have to hire a shrink after a couple of days playing.

 

Then our task will have been a success.

 

Developer Acheivement Get:  Blake Goes to a Shrink

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

Does anyone have Alloc's written(or a good summation) statement from last night's Dev stream concerning mod changes?     Prime went through it fairly quickly and for the life of me, I cannot find it in his VOD... I know it was at some point after the Q&A started, but just can't find it!     

Loot containers are now referenced by names and not ids. Hard coded UI parts being in xml. Logging issues regarding xml patches are fixed. Support to load mods to the clients natively.

 

...or so I'm told. 😃 ( Thanks Chiko!)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...