Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

On 9/30/2021 at 5:15 AM, SnowDog1942 said:

So I just watched small pieces of of the latest stream.  That screenshot of the Mesas really stood out.  Was every single Mesa shaped exactly the same but turned at a different angle?  

Is the whole world going to be full of the same shapes over and over now with this stamp tech?  Hey look that mountain again!  Hey look, that lake again!  

Yes, but you can add as many new stamps as you want. It will also blend them together, so you might see some things that look kind of familiar but when you're on the ground it doesn't look at all the same and I've ran many many many seeds. Also, modders can add to the terrain stamps using png files, there is a base height level (r:32 g:32 b:32) and anything darker will dig down, anything higher will build up. Once I go over how to use our r16 format you'll even be able to define lakes at certain heights IN a stamp. It's really nifty. a20 (gold) RWG has a LOT more content driven design than any iteration before it. I'm very confident people will be happy with how it generates and modders will be thrilled at having a fairly easy way to build customized random maps. (looking at you, total conversion modders ;))

Anyway, I'm trying to avoid talking about the details too much on here. I'm super excited to show off / talk about everything and have a whole list of stuff that I'll be going over on the dev stream on October 13th (this week is the other programmers).

23 hours ago, Roland said:

Awning blocks are gone.

No for A20 but very possibly for later. faatal has stated he wants to add a helicopter.

SCRAP IS BETTER

1 hour ago, JamesKirk said:

Will we get automatic reload for X-bows? On the normal Bow the next arrow is put on the string after shooting. On Crossbows you need to press reload.

oh so what the compound bow should have been

also is a repeater crossbow.

Spoiler

Wooden
Chinese repeating crossbow | Mandarin Mansion
Compound
The Cobra RX Adder Is the World's First Tactical Repeating Crossbow - Maxim

4 hours ago, Kinyajuu said:

Yes, but you can add as many new stamps as you want. It will also blend them together, so you might see some things that look kind of familiar but when you're on the ground it doesn't look at all the same and I've ran many many many seeds. Also, modders can add to the terrain stamps using png files, there is a base height level (r:32 g:32 b:32) and anything darker will dig down, anything higher will build up. Once I go over how to use our r16 format you'll even be able to define lakes at certain heights IN a stamp. It's really nifty. a20 (gold) RWG has a LOT more content driven design than any iteration before it. I'm very confident people will be happy with how it generates and modders will be thrilled at having a fairly easy way to build customized random maps. (looking at you, total conversion modders ;))

Anyway, I'm trying to avoid talking about the details too much on here. I'm super excited to show off / talk about everything and have a whole list of stuff that I'll be going over on the dev stream on October 13th (this week is the other programmers).

Thanks for responding man.  Ill be sure to check your dev stream!

8 hours ago, Kinyajuu said:

I'm looking forward to it. Especially about custom POI's and rwg since an earlier stream mentioned some kind of tool being needed. :)

On 9/29/2021 at 11:38 PM, faatal said:

I can't give you exact answers, since PC specs vary so much. It should have similar performance. The worse case currently is in the downtown of the new RWG cities, but they are working on a point system to help keep too many high resource POIs from being together.

The game will use around 6 cores, but cores are not used equally because there are many different workloads being run. Many tasks have to be done on the main thread in Unity, which consistently takes the most amount of time per frame. The same with the graphics thread. Beyond that, other threaded tasks like mesh creation, collision mesh baking and AI pathing are on demand as needed. I have a 12 core CPU, but it certainly does not need or use all of those cores. Extra cores are nice to have, since the OS and other programs can run without using cores the game is using.

@faatal - As we approach experimental, are there any plans to do benchmark testing on maybe a low/mid/high end rig to see how the game performs from a CPU/GPU as well as FPS perspective? I'm sure it's part of your standard dev cycle, but was curious if you would release any hard numbers. 

Super excited for A20 and have been cranking out content around the release and one of the biggest comments I get from folks is that they are afraid that their potato of a computer won't be able to run the new version.  I'm hoping to see some significant performance gains as it would really increase the number of folks who could play!

On 9/4/2021 at 3:39 AM, KhaineGB said:

Unfortunately I don't think it does.

Prime MIGHT be able to do something like... make it work with a bot that the player needs to run, which then pushes commands to the game to do the same thing. But that'd probably be a lot of work.

Yeah - I was chatting w/ Prime on twitch tonight and he said as much also.  Basically YT needs to get their act together and provide better APIs/hooks for game integration.  

15 hours ago, JamesKirk said:

Will we get automatic reload for X-bows? On the normal Bow the next arrow is put on the string after shooting. On Crossbows you need to press reload.

Since x-bow had automatic reload and they changed it to this I think the chances are low.

17 hours ago, Kinyajuu said:

Though for rivers there would be some "linking list" needed, i.e. to the left side of this stamp the following list of stamps can be placed. Is that planned for A21?

10 hours ago, WaywardEko said:

@faatal - As we approach experimental, are there any plans to do benchmark testing on maybe a low/mid/high end rig to see how the game performs from a CPU/GPU as well as FPS perspective? I'm sure it's part of your standard dev cycle, but was curious if you would release any hard numbers. 

Super excited for A20 and have been cranking out content around the release and one of the biggest comments I get from folks is that they are afraid that their potato of a computer won't be able to run the new version.  I'm hoping to see some significant performance gains as it would really increase the number of folks who could play!

We have a consultant graphics programmer who is doing benchmarks and has a second PC with low specs.

I dug up my 4th old dev PC (i7 860) and have it running now, but it only has 4 GB RAM and an AMD 1 GB VRAM GPU. It will run the game on lower settings, but is very slow for testing as it hits the hard drive a lot (paging) during loading and shutdown and I could not run Unity at the same time. My wife's old PC has 8 GB RAM, which should work in that motherboard, so planning on trying that RAM.

The problem with benchmarks is they tell you where you are at and maybe what is slow, but not how to fix it. Fixing is the hard part.

So... quick question; has there been mention of an update to the in-game paint textures for A20?

My wife would be a more hyped if there has been a lot more texture options added, she's always complaining about them and I only have so many non-white hairs left to hear about it. :D

Just now, Genosis said:

So... quick question; has there been mention of an update to the in-game paint textures for A20?

My wife would be a more hyped if there has been a lot more texture options added, she's always complaining about them and I only have so many non-white hairs left to hear about it. :D

It seems there is one new texture, replacing the old beer sign texture. This isn't going to change -- AFAIK it is just not possible to increase the number of paint textures within the current architecture and that is not changing. 

2 hours ago, faatal said:

We have a consultant graphics programmer who is doing benchmarks and has a second PC with low specs.

I dug up my 4th old dev PC (i7 860) and have it running now, but it only has 4 GB RAM and an AMD 1 GB VRAM GPU. It will run the game on lower settings, but is very slow for testing as it hits the hard drive a lot (paging) during loading and shutdown and I could not run Unity at the same time. My wife's old PC has 8 GB RAM, which should work in that motherboard, so planning on trying that RAM.

The problem with benchmarks is they tell you where you are at and maybe what is slow, but not how to fix it. Fixing is the hard part.

I think I got a spare 8GB stick of DDR3 somewhere if you want it sending over