Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

I'm currently playing 7D and while I "fully" use the traders, I put nothing into the trading perk and only a single point into Adventurer.

Without the high level secret stash it's a lot more reasonable. Occasional cool things but I can't afford any, yet. At day 20 or so. (I play with a chill 50% XP)

18 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I'm currently playing 7D and while I "fully" use the traders, I put nothing into the trading perk and only a single point into Adventurer.

Without the high level secret stash it's a lot more reasonable. Occasional cool things but I can't afford any, yet. At day 20 or so. (I play with a chill 50% XP)

I feel you. I prefer 2 hour days instead of 50%XP. It would be cool to have even harder trading bia options. I love trader perks, but indeed there's no need to invest in them unless you are greedy and love material things, lol.

9 hours ago, bachgaman said:

You mean zeds covered in green goo a.k.a. radiation?

I never understood from what considerations you can meet a silent and fast Dire Wolf with 750 hp on the first day of the game

Yup that's them, I have a feeling one of my characters will meet their end, in a small space filled with them!  :) 

The "Kill order", Day 1-5 Pack of  zombie dogs with one or two zombie bears has been around for some time now.   This is fine for people who like to use the "Death Bonus" but is against the progressive increase in abilities, loot and difficulty the rest of the game has.   Not a fan, but it does make me cautious the first few mornings.

6 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Gosh dang it, I refreshed and saw 19+ new posts and was hoping A20 was confirmed to be coming out on Friday for streamers,  and I missed something. Look at what you've done

Still some serious bugs and testing that needs to be done.

18 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Grab the creature pack and enjoy ...

A20 ideas have been flowing, as well; xyth (main creature guy) has had "jiggle tech" for a while now.  And no, I'm not saying the pimps stole his idea, calm down people, I'm merely pointing out that jiggle tech isn't a new concept for some modders. 

Are these client side mods?  Yes.  Will that matter later on in development?  No.  Not very likely. 

Bottom line is that uma going away isn't a huge deal imo.  Also, even though the players won't be uma and the support for uma is going away, I doubt the functionality of it is going to be removed to the point where modders can't still abuse it. 

Yeah well @khzmusik change xyth  zombie pack in nice way.  Well i hope it will be more mods with new types in future.

Btw i think "stealing" ideas is nothing wrong - well i think if 7dtd his own version of l4d2 gore system would be cool. And honestly i think always modders can add something sooner that devs ( well if 100 people will make randoms mods is almost 100% chance to be something similiar in official updated) . So idk why people thinking" it was stolen from x mode" using this logic another TES can't exist because everything was added to skyrim before 

I am just curious where everyone stands on food in alpha 20.

we have all observed from the alpha 20 dev streams that Lathan was almost ALWAYS hungry or on the cusp of starting to slowly die of starvation

Is that  a result of bad rng? or just not focusing enough on it in the early game when it is most challenging

I understand that food is easy for veteran players to deal with but how much do new players and beginners struggle with it?

I know they said they have tweaked loot alot in A20 and food should be found in more places you would expect to find it so maybe this is something that they can gather more feedback and makes balance changes around once A20 goes experimental.

by balance changes I just mean slight adjustments because I don't think food is too far off from being in a good spot

14 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

we have all observed from the alpha 20 dev streams that Lathan was almost ALWAYS hungry or on the cusp of starting to slowly die of starvation

Is that  a result of bad rng? or just not focusing enough on it in the early game when it is most challenging

I understand that food is easy for veteran players to deal with but how much do new players and beginners struggle with it?

I know they said they have tweaked loot alot in A20 and food should be found in more places you would expect to find it so maybe this is something that they can gather more feedback and makes balance changes around once A20 goes experimental.

by balance changes I just mean slight adjustments because I don't think food is too far off from being in a good spot

I wouldn't look into it too much based on the streams. Lathan has stated previously that food is not a priority for him during the streams - he's more concerned with showing off new features.

6 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

With food being in short supply, I think finding as many working vending machines and marking them on the map will be important.  Even for Strength builds, food will need to be watched.

I think one of the big things about A20 with the new RWG  is to learn what the best locations/areas for food will be? will we find more in rural areas? or in cities?

We just don't have the knowledge to know the best way to handle food in A20 yet and we will learn when we get to play experimental

my guess is suburban/rural areas because that is where you will find animals for hunting as well as farms/barns

currently in A19 if you go into any kind of grocery store type POI you usually find very little food and a whole bunch of things that aren't food, which doesn't make sense

59 minutes ago, faatal said:

Still some serious bugs and testing that needs to be done.

Will you, at some point, work also on activating physics vs. explosions for vehicles?

I remember one of the streams where they tried to blow up the 4x4 with sticks of dynamite, but it wouldn't budge.

29 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Honestly, they weren't even trying to deal with the food. Didn't invest in Living off the Land or Master Chef, didn't loot the crops we saw over and over, didn't make much of an effort to buy food from the vending machine, rarely went for Buried Supplies.  To me, they looked pretty much like a new player would when it comes to food. And though they struggled, it did not make gameplay impossible.

I think their level of struggle is fine for players who do not make any sort of effort to acquire food.

14 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Will you, at some point, work also on activating physics vs. explosions for vehicles?

I remember one of the streams where they tried to blow up the 4x4 with sticks of dynamite, but it wouldn't budge.

I see that more as a nice-to-have for gold than as a feature for alpha 20, let alone a bug.

Not sure if this has been answered, but does the biome diffculty/loot modifiers only apply to zombies that would normally spawn in that biome?

or could I build a horde base in harsher/more difficult biomes and kill bloodmoon zombies in those biomes to get greater rewards from said zombies as opposed to doing bloodmoons in a forest biome?

42 minutes ago, dcsobral said:
55 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I see that more as a nice-to-have for gold than as a feature for alpha 20, let alone a bug.

I disagree. If they add that, you won't be able (as easily) to run through the Wasteland with a 4x4 without any care for mines.

On top of that, I've seen in A20 all those nice exploding barrels where you could crash. It would be a shame not to have any effect if you do. :cool2:

The team meeting finished up this morning and the decision was made to not try and crunch and force the release this weekend. The new goal is the first part of December since we have the Thanksgiving holiday taking out a significant portion of the team for the following weekend.

On a side note, I'm selling pitchforks and torches on the cheap. Message me privately for a good deal.

12 minutes ago, Roland said:

The team meeting finished up this morning and the decision was made to not try and crunch and force the release this weekend. The new goal is the first part of December since we have the Thanksgiving holiday taking out a significant portion of the team for the following weekend.

On a side note, I'm selling pitchforks and torches on the cheap. Message me privately for a good deal.

So is there a small chance for it to come out on 29th of november or not?

4 minutes ago, EffiJeffy said:

So is there a small chance for it to come out on 29th of november or not?

Read his message again.

The possible streamer weekend dates in December are as follows:

1) 4-5 December

2) 11-12 December

3) 18-19 December

4) 25-26 December

It could still be pushed to January or even February+ of next year, so take that into account.

It'll be done when it's done.

They almost made it for this weekend. It was just a bit too much to do especially considering getting the changelog document finished. I think that the first or second weekend in December are a reasonable bet but for sure it could always get pushed back again. Nature of the beast.

Archived