Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

8 hours ago, Blue mame said:

How many people can your server support online at the same time?
My server can only support about 15 people at present, and it will be completely delayed and stuck in two to three hours, causing players to drop in batches.
This seems to be a problem after A19.3

currently we had a maximum of 25 on one server. it runs decent but mods and other things affect performance with higher player counts.

we tend to have a lot of zombies as well. at this point 7 days to die pretty much starts punishing the host. Network goes way up, ram start climbing and cpu is spiking alot in the high 30-55% range outta 8 cores.

19 minutes ago, wicketness said:

currently we had a maximum of 25 on one server. it runs decent but mods and other things affect performance with higher player counts.

we tend to have a lot of zombies as well. at this point 7 days to die pretty much starts punishing the host. Network goes way up, ram start climbing and cpu is spiking alot in the high 30-55% range outta 8 cores.

Then you are lucky. I can’t even exceed 10 players after using some modules. In the original version, after 15 players, a batch of players will be dropped after 1 to 2 hours. And I used to In the A7 version and A16 version, there are 35+ players. It may be that my module prevents me from accommodating more people. I have lost my satisfaction. I am waiting for the release of A20. If it is still the same as A19, it cannot accommodate more people. Multiplayer, I will give up the server

It feels uncomfortable that the suggestions I made in multiple major branches have never been taken seriously. They don't seem to care much about the issue of multi-person online. I have a community of more than 5,000 people, I will transfer

18 minutes ago, Blue mame said:

It feels uncomfortable that the suggestions I made in multiple major branches have never been taken seriously. They don't seem to care much about the issue of multi-person online. I have a community of more than 5,000 people, I will transfer

Thanks for the feedback. We take it seriously meaning we hear what you are saying and understand what you want. 7 Days to Die is primarily being developed as a PVE experience whether that is you as a lone survivor or you and up to 7 mates working together. It is not being built to be a Fortnight King of the Hill style of game with 50-100 players trying to be the last one standing. PvP of any kind is not really the focus although it is obviously allowed. 

The officially supported number of players is 8 or less which is the perfect number of friends/family to play with each other against the game and the level of camaraderie that this game evokes from players who play together in this way is off the charts and beyond any other game that I have experienced. We have letters from players who share how much this game has benefited their relationships with their rl friends and family members that they play together with. This is what the game is truly about even though you can stretch things to get 20 strangers together killing each other and wrecking each others' forts. That can be fun too, but it is a fun that is being duplicated 100s of times out in the land of video games. There are tons of games that do PvP way better than 7 Days to Die. But there are none that do PvE with friends/family better than 7 Days to Die, imho.

Therefore, I would not expect them increase player counts to the MMO proportions you seem to be wanting. They have talked about working on a PvP mode of the game after gold that may support higher player counts and with some other revisions that will better support PvP but if they do it will just be as gravy. The game they have built which is for up to 8 players working together to survive horde nights and co-operate in exploring, looting, sharing tasks for harvesting, farming, and crafting and coordinating efforts to create a fantastic fort is exactly what they want.

At any rate, you can expect A20 to be very much like A19 as far as number of players supported. With bandits coming in A21 I don't see player counts increasing for that version either. Hope that helps you decide how you want to allocate your gaming time and energy.

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

At any rate, you can expect A20 to be very much like A19 as far as number of players supported. With bandits coming in A21 I don't see player counts increasing for that version either. Hope that helps you decide how you want to allocate your gaming time and energy.

Thank you for your answer, if A20 is as bad as A19 multiplayer, I can give up, because there are too many players in our country, if we can only support 10 or even 40, it will not be enough.

It is more interesting for us to interact and communicate with more people than to survive alone. After all, it is a pity if our achievements cannot be seen by more people.

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

Therefore, I would not expect them increase player counts to the MMO proportions you seem to be wanting. They have talked about working on a PvP mode of the game after gold that may support higher player counts and with some other revisions that will better support PvP but if they do it will just be as gravy. The game they have built which is for up to 8 players working together to survive horde nights and co-operate in exploring, looting, sharing tasks for harvesting, farming, and crafting and coordinating efforts to create a fantastic fort is exactly what they want.

This is where I am very contradictory. I want both an infinite world like Minecraft and a more realistic texture like 7D. Minecraft supports more people, maybe I will consider

23 minutes ago, Blue mame said:

Thank you for your answer, if A20 is as bad as A19 multiplayer, I can give up, because there are too many players in our country, if we can only support 10 or even 40, it will not be enough.

It is more interesting for us to interact and communicate with more people than to survive alone. After all, it is a pity if our achievements cannot be seen by more people.

This is where I am very contradictory. I want both an infinite world like Minecraft and a more realistic texture like 7D. Minecraft supports more people, maybe I will consider

If minecraft had to count for every block for gravity like 7dtd I can 100% tell you it wouldn't be as big of maps nor as many players. 

4 hours ago, Astronomical said:

You weren't already drunk when you wrote this!? 🤔

No, i didn't write a apology till abit later in the thread.

That is what makes you a true Canadien, you apologize and just keep saying I'm Sorry.

I was in a Timmies Induced Coffee rage. I am sorry you had to see that. 

6 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

If minecraft had to count for every block for gravity like 7dtd I can 100% tell you it wouldn't be as big of maps nor as many players. 

And sometimes I want to cancel the restraint of gravity, but they have too many programs associated, and the hard-coded upper limit is only 14 squares. I think the size of the map should be determined by the generated program. The map generated by 7D is stored In the memory, while the Minecraft map generation is saved in the hard disk, it stands to reason that as long as the hard disk is infinite, the map of Minecraft will be infinite.
Here is a statement: I am not accusing or complaining, but an example

20211117055537.thumb.png.b2c093726fdce2741df9f68027b67e7e.png

Picture interception time 2021/11/17/6:00 AM

From 4 pm to 0 pm, the server on the first page has a maximum of 100 people, and the minimum is no less than 30 people. There are programmers in our country who have rebuilt the server to support more people, but you don’t care at all. these questions

10 minutes ago, Blue mame said:

From 4 pm to 0 pm, the server on the first page has a maximum of 100 people, and the minimum is no less than 30 people. There are programmers in our country who have rebuilt the server to support more people, but you don’t care at all. these questions

I am referring to 100 players on a single-player server, don’t understand the error

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Thanks for the feedback. We take it seriously meaning we hear what you are saying and understand what you want. 7 Days to Die is primarily being developed as a PVE experience whether that is you as a lone survivor or you and up to 7 mates working together. It is not being built to be a Fortnight King of the Hill style of game with 50-100 players trying to be the last one standing. PvP of any kind is not really the focus although it is obviously allowed.

The officially supported number of players is 8 or less which is the perfect number of friends/family to play with each other against the game and the level of camaraderie that this game evokes from players who play together in this way is off the charts and beyond any other game that I have experienced. We have letters from players who share how much this game has benefited their relationships with their rl friends and family members that they play together with. This is what the game is truly about even though you can stretch things to get 20 strangers together killing each other and wrecking each others' forts. That can be fun too, but it is a fun that is being duplicated 100s of times out in the land of video games. There are tons of games that do PvP way better than 7 Days to Die. But there are none that do PvE with friends/family better than 7 Days to Die, imho.

For this reason, I wanted to know the statistics of the solo / co-op / server.Now I have no doubt that the servers in this game are secondary.
I have played 900 hours of solo, most of my friends play solo or co-op.
Despite the large number of servers active on them it is very weak, and only a few are of interest for the game.

I agree with the words that there are other projects to get a good PvP gaming experience. There is already too much MMO garbage in the world now and it makes no sense to turn our favorite game into another copy.

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Blue mame said:

7dtd eats A LOT of RAM and VRAM on bigger maps. That's due to the fact that the level of quality far surpasses Minecraft, not only in texture detail, but also in mesh quality, physics calculations and of course in overall complexity (AI, framework,rendering, gameplay systems) . 

I wish they would make crazy map sizes for the future like 32768 x 32768 or even 65536 x 65536, because those are sizes that would take an 8 player party 100-200 hours to completely explore while having a nomad playstyle, which is more than enough for this game. More than that is just not worth it,

By the time 7dtd is finished (which might very well be in 2024) there will be technology available to support maps that need 40+ GB of VIDEO memory to function properly, like that hypothetical  65k one.

The DDR5 standard (recently released to the masses, so still expensive) and faster CPUs will help a ton too. I mean DDR5 general purpose RAM is already as fast as the GDDR4 standard for GPUs, so relying heavily on that will not be so bad.

21 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

7dtd eats A LOT of RAM and VRAM on bigger maps. That's due to the fact that the level of quality far surpasses Minecraft, not only in texture detail, but also in mesh quality, physics calculations and of course in overall complexity (AI, framework,rendering, gameplay systems) . 

I wish they would make crazy map sizes for the future like 32768 x 32768 or even 65536 x 65536, because those are sizes that would take an 8 player party 100-200 hours to completely explore while having a nomad playstyle, which is more than enough for this game. More than that is just not worth it,

By the time 7dtd is finished (which might very well be in 2024) there will be technology available to support maps that need 40+ GB of VIDEO memory to function properly, like that hypothetical  65k one.

The DDR5 standard (recently released to the masses, so still expensive) and faster CPUs will help a ton too. I mean DDR5 general purpose RAM is already as fast as the GDDR4 standard for GPUs, so relying heavily on that will not be so bad.

This is not a technical issue. The 7d’s 20K before A16 is still very broad, depending on whether they are suitable for their current development strategy.

41 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

I have played 900 hours of solo, most of my friends play solo or co-op.
Despite the large number of servers active on them it is very weak, and only a few are of interest for the game.

I agree with the words that there are other projects to get a good PvP gaming experience. There is already too much MMO garbage in the world now and it makes no sense to turn our favorite game into another copy.

This is just to attach importance to the server side. If it comes to technical issues, look at my screenshot above, I think they will pay more attention to the single person aspect, so I chose to give up. Everyone has their own choices, as long as they are suitable for them. That's it

2 hours ago, Blue mame said:

That's great. Tell me the date that you and your 5000 are switching over to Minecraft and I'll mark it down on my calendar...

4 minutes ago, Blue mame said:

so I chose to give up.

Not if you keep posting about it. How many more times do you plan to announce that it's over and you and all your many peeps are going to go elsewhere? Nobody here is trying to talk you out of it. You could be playing Minecraft right now but for informing us over and over again that you are considering it.

6 minutes ago, Blue mame said:

Everyone has their own choices, as long as they are suitable for them. That's it

So go make it. You have my blessing. Think of me every time you slice up a Creeper without it exploding. :)

32 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Yeah, but will you be able to buy it?
Sure, in 2029!

13 minutes ago, Roland said:

That's great. Tell me the date that you and your 5000 are switching over to Minecraft and I'll mark it down on my calendar...

You put forward a reason that I cannot refuse. I will solve these problems during the A20 test. At least I will leave if I am not satisfied. I won't give you any advice🙂

18 minutes ago, Blue mame said:

You put forward a reason that I cannot refuse. I will solve these problems during the A20 test. At least I will leave if I am not satisfied. I won't give you any advice🙂

So we can look forward to more reports of how big your community is and how you all may be migrating to another game if things don't change the way you want them to after A20 drops? Oooh can't wait... ;)

9 minutes ago, wicketness said:

This game is so much better and more realer then 7 days to die.

This is live in canada as we speak.

Saying no to THAT game is super easy.

Barely an inconvenience.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, Roland said:

So we can look forward to more reports of how big your community is and how you all may be migrating to another game if things don't change the way you want them to after A20 drops? Oooh can't wait... ;)

Saying no to THAT game is super easy.

Barely an inconvenience.

*sigh* I will be playing that game pretty soon. Am expecting to get maybe 5 or 6 months of gameplay before I finish. :(

Can someone please explain why there is so much hate when they have yet to release A20?  All most people have is videos they have watched as only a handful of people have first hand knowledge because they have played.  Will there be issues? Most likely.  Will there be people complaining? Hell yes.  I have been playing since 9.x and there have been so many changes that the game continues to be fun and interesting.  Do I like ALL the changes, no but I do see that they were the best for the long run.  I paid $10 for this game and have gotten more than my moneys worth and more enjoyment than most of AAA games I have played.   So please try to stay possitive or at least polite.

Edited by Spellslinger
spelling error (see edit history)

I'm a solo player, but as I have 8000 split personalities, I am (we are) MUCH more important than everyone else and deserve many more replies from moderators and devs!

Of course, I (we) have only paid for one game, this would be much more than 5000 people who just pirated the game.  Some countries pirate MUCH MUCH more than others..

So, my list of demands (for now):

-Vending machines that sell Coke Classic for 10 dukes (Giving you max stats for three days).

-A full sized airport with a 747 that I can fly, after fixing it completely with some duck tape (I like challenges) .

-Ziplines.  Ziplines everywhere!

Edited by Aldranon (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

I'm a solo player, but as I have 8000 split personalities, I am (we are) MUCH more important than everyone else and deserve many more replies from moderators and devs!

Of course, I (we) have only paid for one game, this would be much more than 5000 people who just pirated the game.  Some countries pirate MUCH MUCH more than others..

So, my list of demands (for now):

-Vending machines that sell Coke Classic for 10 dukes (Giving you max stats for three days).

-A full sized airport with a 747 that I can fly, after fixing it completely with some duck tape (I like challenges) .

-Ziplines.  Ziplines everywhere!

Oh gosh please hide this post from Oprah..

You get a airport, you get a airport, you get a airport and you all get a 747 lol

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic