Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

115 you say? this  sound like cod zombie  refrence. 

7DTD X COD ZOMBIES CROSSOVER CONFIRMED!

Btw, they showed a Newstand POI in the dev stream. It was just the very stand and had no magazines at all as it was totally ransacked, but it looked like it was your "platonic" small POI anyway.

I finally watched last Dev Stream and I must say the new Random World Generation is great!

Congrats to TFP for the great job and, as I understand it, for the great team work between the programmers and the POI designers and artists.

I can't wait to try the new RWG myself, it'll feel like a brand-new adventure each time I restart.

I dare say that 7D2D RWG stands on-par and in some instances is even better than the one they use in No Man's Sky! :first:

17 minutes ago, GVLT said:

Hi, very excited about alpha 20. Any plans on Power Armor or those were completely scratched?

According to devs' words, armour sets will be in a21, not a20. Power armour was never planned so there's nothing to scratch, but there will be plenty of buffed armours that will do amazing things I'm sure.

Like fill in the taxes for us when we are out exploring.

Here's my summary for yesterday's stream on RWG. Let me preface this by saying that nothing below makes up for actually watching the stream and seeing these cities. Think of the most detailed POI in alpha 19, then extrapolate it to cover a whole city. That's what it felt like.

Anyway, and sorry for repeating stuff that has been said already, here are the highlights:

• Cities are made out of tiles.
  • Tiles are like POIs for the streets, and POIs go into reserved spaces in these tiles. Their size is fixed.
  • Tiles can also have "parts" which are pre-defined mini-POIs with a chance of spawning.
  • Parts can also be mutually exclusive, so a tile can have one of two parts, but not the two at the same time..
  • POIs can also have parts. For example, some farms have crop parts so the same farm will get different crop combinations.
  • Some tiles have underground parts like sewers, and at least one tile we saw had an overpass.
  • Tiles are organized by districts, so business tiles go together, downtown tiles go together, etc.
  • Cities have "edge" tiles that are more sparse so you get the feeling of things getting crowded as you move from the outskirts to the center.
  • Tiles have different types like cap, straight, corner, cross and T. That's how they connect to each other forming the city streets.
  • Modders can add their own tiles and they'll be automatically used.
  • Modders can also change the mixer to add their own districts, and add tiles of these new districts.
  • Cities can also be thematic. There's an old west city in a20, with old west tiles that have old west building in it.
  • Modders can also add their own thematic cities to the mixer. For example, they could make an "air force base" city.
  • POIs now come in standard sizes, like extra small, small, medium, etc. I don't recall exactly what the sizes where, and they didn't give dimensions either.
  • Gravel roads now always stay within biome. If you take a gravel road on a forest, it will never cross over to desert or snow, for example.
  • Gravel roads have different sizes.
  • Wilderness POIs can specify what their gravel road size is (or them minimum?), so if you take a small gravel road you won't end up in a POI with a big entryway.
  • Traders now live in "gateway" tiles.
  • Gateway tiles are the points where roads connect to the cities.
  • So that means every city has a trader on its outskirts.
  • There's also "stamps" which are the equivalent of POIs for terrains. For example, there's a canyon stamp that can add canyons (duh) to your map.
  • RWG generation now has options. Currently: Towns, Wilderness POIs, Rivers, Craters, Cracks and Lakes with values like "Default", "None" or "Many", and Plains, Hills, Mountains and Random with numeric values.
  • Plains are not completely flat, they are just flatter than hills and mountains.
  • Cities are completely flat, though tiles may have elevation changes inside themselves. They still need to connect at the same elevation, though.
  • Dedi doesn't have options. Server owners would have to mod the mixer to change the defaults to what they want.
  • If I understood correctly, dedi still won't generate the same map as SP for the same seed. I might be mistaken on this regard, though.
  • Lathan generated a 6k world in under 6 minutes while at the same time streaming.
  • Speaking of which, world sizes are 6144, 8192 and 10240.

Having said all that I'll repeat: go watch it. This list is meaningless compared to just seeing what alpha 20 cities will look like. Alpha 19 cities look absolutely primitive and barren in comparison.

2 hours ago, GVLT said:

You can find madmole mentioning power armor in alpha 19 dev log.

You are right. He did mention "power armor". It would be nice to have a "gas powered" armour that behaves like the Fallout 4 one, but in reality.... is it really the best thing to do when we will have full armour sets that give us huge bonuses to whatever rol we might decide? Also, it might surpass the height of the camera as it would need to be bigger than the player, resulting in another can of worms. I sense a big NO here.

3 hours ago, GVLT said:

You can find madmole mentioning power armor in alpha 19 dev log.

My bad - when I clicked on the link provided, it took me to the beginning of the A19 thread, not to the point where he mentions that they were looking at  the possibility of power armor.

This is what we know today that is planned for armor.

20) Character Overhaul - Pushed to A21

• Replace UMA system with in-house custom system
  • Thematic outfits will work like books. Wear the complete outfit and get a completion perk
  • Current 10 armor/clothing slots reduced to 4 slots for outfits that will merge both clothing and armor values. No more clipping issues of wearing clothing under armor. Better balance on number of mod slots available to use with outfits.
  • Outfits are another feature that will help build the foundation for the future implementation of bandits
  • Alot of this has been started already by those who have finished work for A20 and have moved on to A21 work

22 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

They showed you a view of the whole city. 

That's not really related to player built/modified POIs and forts rendering the distance though. It's a different feature that I was surprised wasn't shown off, I don't think I'm being greedy asking about it

2 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I am not going to look over the entire thread of Alpha 19, but where exactly did he state that power armor was coming to 7D2D?

This is what we know is coming in regards to armor / clothing (note nothing in it references power armor):

20) Character Overhaul - Pushed to A21

• Replace UMA system with in-house custom system
  • Thematic outfits will work like books. Wear the complete outfit and get a completion perk
  • Current 10 armor/clothing slots reduced to 4 slots for outfits that will merge both clothing and armor values. No more clipping issues of wearing clothing under armor. Better balance on number of mod slots available to use with outfits.
  • Outfits are another feature that will help build the foundation for the future implementation of bandits
  • Alot of this has been started already by those who have finished work for A20 and have moved on to A21 work

We did talk about power armour A LOOOOONG time ago in a19 dev diary. But it was never promised and it is certainly not "planned planned".

2 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

That's not really related to player built/modified POIs and forts rendering the distance though. It's a different feature that I was surprised wasn't shown off, I don't think I'm being greedy asking about it

I think it was shown, if briefly, on the dev's dev stream, wasn't it?

1 minute ago, Blake_ said:

We did talk about power armour A LOOOOONG time ago in a19 dev diary. But it was never promised and it is certainly not "planned planned".

You missed my edit  😉

It never sinked in for me because it was never an announced feature they were adding, just something they were looking into.  When I click his link, it took me to the beginning of the A19 Dev Diary topic for some reason.  When I clicked on the link in your reply (after reading it), it took me to the exact post that he was refering to (which is why I editted my response with My Bad).

57 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Alrighty then.

Has content lock been hit yet? I was going to ask this anyway but this seemed like an appropriate time. :)

Nope. Designers, artists, programmers are all still tweaking stuff and working on features, while also fixing bugs. If we even have a real content lock, it would probably be the final week.

43 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

It is there. It works like you would expect. It was done by an outside programmer, so is not in an area of any of the programmers in the streams.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Obviously we are already wearing power armor. The evidence is right there on the screen with a digital clock and compass with waypoints showing on your visor as well as readouts informing you of temperature, contusions, concussions, bone fractures, infection, hydration, available calories-- not to mention a visual projection of what is hanging on your belt and even a holographic augmented reality effect so you can see the borders of where you can dig up a buried supply crate or the location to activate your quest. You can even see the edges of your visor when it gets really cold and it starts to fog up and freeze over....

Press F7 for the non Power Armor experience. Unfortunately, without your power armor you can't manage to interact with the world at all.

Maybe someday we won't be forced to wear power armor...

3 hours ago, dcsobral said:

POIs now come in standard sizes, like extra small, small, medium, etc. I don't recall exactly what the sizes where, and they didn't give dimensions either.

Extra Small is 25x25, Small is 42x42, Medium is 60x60, and Large is 100x100. I thought it got mentioned in the stream, but it was also disclosed previously.

Archived