Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

16 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Never been in Dishong Tower?

The distribution center (bottom left with the Shamway trailer backed up to it) and the 3 warehouses across the culvert from it are new I think. As is the Pass & Gas just "above" it.

I'm liking the looks of where the random gen is going.

the brick poi across the culvert and to the right of the road is the standard waterworks poi.

1 hour ago, spud42 said:

the brick poi across the culvert and to the right of the road is the standard waterworks poi.

Wasn't what I was talking about.

a20b155RWGSnowCity.jpg.e8604989cbe6d633a

The 3 storyish ones in middle of the image, right next to the culvert, in line with the distribution center (bottom left poi) and across the road from the refinery. Those are new. The water works is one more cluster to the right of them. 

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

That Pass&Gas is not new. The one on the left edge of the image, right? It's in the snow biome in Navezgane, NW of Hugh on a east/west road iirc.

This is the one where you described. Doesn't match.

1685011611_NWofHughs.thumb.jpg.50d6f7d1980469cd3d048ba1ef4bba10.jpg

None of the Pass & Gases in the snow biome on Navezgane match the one in the random gen teaser image posted by faatal.

The other 3. Scratch that. First in the spoiler does match it, it's the one across the street from the mountaintop mansion's driveway. West of Huge. The other two are the two other Pass & Gas's in the Navezgane snow biome that I found.

Spoiler

282565160_WofHughs.thumb.jpg.6b782d97b63236ff1facf404f989f050.jpg

98854411_EofHughs.thumb.jpg.732b56aaefbaf7724d610f43d38f1fee.jpg

364394419_WofParishton.thumb.jpg.7a38641e8f7b3cab94e907f822406430.jpg

17 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

Thanks for the screen shot , its looking great.

I just have some questions if I may be so bold :)

1. Can we go into those tunnels?
2. New bridge and can we build it?
3. New Under construction building?
4. If we put down a bed in a large POI will we have to keep clearing it out?
5. New POI's?
6. Love the blending of the snow and dirt looks really good
7. Can see the zoning at work seems to go from Heavy industrial, to home to business district

A20.jpg

1 Yes
a20b156RWGSnowCitySewer.thumb.jpg.a7816752b56b256444425d0524cae3c3.jpg

2 Just blocks
a20b156RWGSnowCityWalkway.thumb.jpg.d99316a9bda89afa9d4c8a4950dabe45.jpg

3 Don't know

4 Same as a19

5 Don't know

On 8/25/2021 at 9:44 PM, unholyjoe said:

a bit more then that and they are still pumping them out :)

that  tower IS Dishong tower. just looks bigger compared to others and in the populous like it is.

Usually thinning out the foliage at the base will make it look bigger.

City screenshots are amazing. The Art team is doing a great job and Robert did shuffle them nicely this time (understatement of the huge 8-year code work involved). Blending seems better too. 

@faatal,

1- In your opinion, how good is RWG in general after testing? (meaning Plz give us 1 more screenshot, plz lol).

2- Did AI get some tweaks in a20 (meaning tiny fixes for some rare wall-lingering behaviours and the like)? 

3- How good is AI pathing inside sewers? Do some of them tend to headbutt against the roof and corners or are they more centered and engaged to the player's meat bootie in those instances? (I find randomized behaviour too randomized in some niche close-quarter cases, hence the question)

4- How good is performance within cities compared to any situation in a19?  Is the Occluder king in that case ? I'm nervous about that particular burning CPU sensation .

5- I remember instances of heavily modified/destroyed (by the player) POI that get updated for a quest and fail to load fast enough for clients (when doing a shared quest) resulting in a phantom/bugged POI (big ones, like Red Mesa with huge tons of wrenchable stuff can cause those package failures in slow systems and or slow networks )

The question is: Are there improvements to server-client or even client-client performance in a20? (to ensure correct updating for those big chunks of data, even if a bit delayed)

6- What were you testing in RWG at the moment of the screenshots (apart from teasing us, lol) ?

7- Have you tried the Shape menu/block "retunning" performance-wise ? How better does it run vs the old one? (meaning did the latest huge block deletion/renewal/redesign/reasortment pass made a noticeable positive mark on performance?)

8- What about a20 landscapes? Do they load faster than a19 at those crazy mountain ranges?

9- Do Sleepers perform better in a20? 

10- Are there any changes to wandering hordes in a20? If so, can you elaborate? It ticks me (get it? lol).

11-Are there any improvements to Level of Detail pop-ins and pop-outs ? (This question is asking in the lines of the believe that Pop-ins and outs should never happen, only pixelated sprites, and no quality option should rule "poppy" behaviour)

12- Do you plan to revisit the door-break physics pet project at some point for a20? It was ridiculously cool for gameplay and I kind of look forward to that at some point.

Thanks in advance.

On 8/22/2021 at 5:20 AM, LordoftheKitten said:

@TFP

The dynamic imposters increases the distance that you can see player built structures and changes to POIs further away, is there going to be any change in the distance we can visually see players being rendered in? As of right now, it feels like the distance is about 80m-120m before they start popping in and out of render. Another example is being in a gyrocopter with a friend below on a motorcycle will usually show just the motorcycle being visible so it is a bike driving itself

They could easily fix that by updating the model with a low-res stick figure sitting on the bike

45 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I'm sure you meant doubtfully sure, probably.

i'll break it down a tad bit more.  :)bandicam 2021-08-27 14-05-45-890.jpg

key word here (SOME)                                                                     key word here (ALL)

15 hours ago, Blake_ said:

City screenshots are amazing. The Art team is doing a great job and Robert did shuffle them nicely this time (understatement of the huge 8-year code work involved). Blending seems better too. 

@faatal,

1- In your opinion, how good is RWG in general after testing? (meaning Plz give us 1 more screenshot, plz lol).

2- Did AI get some tweaks in a20 (meaning tiny fixes for some rare wall-lingering behaviours and the like)? 

3- How good is AI pathing inside sewers? Do some of them tend to headbutt against the roof and corners or are they more centered and engaged to the player's meat bootie in those instances? (I find randomized behaviour too randomized in some niche close-quarter cases, hence the question)

4- How good is performance within cities compared to any situation in a19?  Is the Occluder king in that case ? I'm nervous about that particular burning CPU sensation .

5- I remember instances of heavily modified/destroyed (by the player) POI that get updated for a quest and fail to load fast enough for clients (when doing a shared quest) resulting in a phantom/bugged POI (big ones, like Red Mesa with huge tons of wrenchable stuff can cause those package failures in slow systems and or slow networks )

The question is: Are there improvements to server-client or even client-client performance in a20? (to ensure correct updating for those big chunks of data, even if a bit delayed)

6- What were you testing in RWG at the moment of the screenshots (apart from teasing us, lol) ?

7- Have you tried the Shape menu/block "retunning" performance-wise ? How better does it run vs the old one? (meaning did the latest huge block deletion/renewal/redesign/reasortment pass made a noticeable positive mark on performance?)

8- What about a20 landscapes? Do they load faster than a19 at those crazy mountain ranges?

9- Do Sleepers perform better in a20? 

10- Are there any changes to wandering hordes in a20? If so, can you elaborate? It ticks me (get it? lol).

11-Are there any improvements to Level of Detail pop-ins and pop-outs ? (This question is asking in the lines of the believe that Pop-ins and outs should never happen, only pixelated sprites, and no quality option should rule "poppy" behaviour)

12- Do you plan to revisit the door-break physics pet project at some point for a20? It was ridiculously cool for gameplay and I kind of look forward to that at some point.

Thanks in advance.

1 Looks great, but I was not playing the game. Just flying around

2 Not much. Crouching would be the main one

3 Crouching helps there, but there is a bug with them swiping as they walk

4 Hard to compare since there are other general optimizations that make up for it

5 May be better since chunk mesh/collider creation is faster

6 I was checking that optimization/cleanup to biome decoration code did not have errors

7 Seems fine to me

8 Should be the same

9 Same?

10 Don't think so

11 Probably tweaks to some, but a lot of different assets have LODs with separate settings

12 It should be used at some point

a20b156RWGSnowCityDowntown.jpg

1 minute ago, faatal said:

a20b156RWGSnowCityDowntown2.jpg

This looks really nice.

Quick favor since you're posting pictures - can you show a little more detail of the overpass/walkway in the middle background?

That's one thing that I always wanted to see in RWG.

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

This looks really nice.

Quick favor since you're posting pictures - can you show a little more detail of the overpass/walkway in the middle background?

That's one thing that I always wanted to see in RWG.

Thanks!

thats actually just a simple bridge (no frills unless you plan to jump from one when the zombies are chasing you) :)

10 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

thats actually just a simple bridge (no frills unless you plan to jump from one when the zombies are chasing you) :)

Is it part of the tile, or part of a POI? I'm hoping the former. The lack of 3D roads (including subways) was one thing that a lot of folks want, including me, and actually having that in game would be fantastic.

are there any plans to expand the lore of 7dtd ? maybe readable notes/journal and newspapers scattered around the map that tells a story about the inhabitants of pre-apocalypse and post-apocalypse Navezgane (similiar to Fallout) or maybe more pois designed in a certain way that tells a story (like the snow biome mansion) would be great !

Archived