Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, faatal said:

I'm pretty sure the severs are just part of the POI, so only certain POIs would have them. I don't think POIs can stack.

Couldn't the tile system be abused to handle it?  Set an underground district or whatever, then push those pois' y-offset down to ground level accounting for poi height, then allow placement of pois on top?

...this idea compiles in my head. 😃

9 hours ago, Survager said:

@madmole Hi. Alpha 20 should be out soon, can you give us some details on these points? If I missed them, may be it make sense to update the information in the first post of this discussion? Thank you.

Most of these details will be revealed in the devstreams which should be starting up real soon.

Will SP and dedi generate the same world for the same seed with the same settings on alpha 20? If not, could some command line option be added to SP to generate a world then exit?

I have a script I use to generate hundreds of random seeds to choose from but it has to rely on AutoHotKey to interact with the GUI of SP, which sucks in many ways. I used to generate a seed using dedi but had to stop doing so when SP and dedi diverged. Nowadays I have to add that caveat when sharing seeds, and explain to people how to copy a world from SP to the server.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:39 PM, wicketness said:

There's that word again SOON lol.

True...true...but I can tell you that I have heard Lathan, Rick, and Joel all remark that it is time for dev streams to start up again. They are ready to start showing stuff so this time soon really does mean soon.

27 minutes ago, Roland said:

True...true...but I can tell you that I have heard Lathan, Rick, and Joel all remark that it is time for dev streams to start up again. They are ready to start showing stuff so this time soon really does mean soon.

CAN'T. HARDLY. WAIT. ! :D

Do you have any info on the release method? "latest_experimental" betas have been missing from Steam for some time now, do we know if this is going to stay the case for the A20 release cycle? Or is a Stable version getting released directly?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, littlegreen said:

CAN'T. HARDLY. WAIT. ! :D

Do you have any info on the release method? "latest_experimental" betas have been missing from Steam for some time now, do we know if this is going to stay the case for the A20 release cycle? Or is a Stable version getting released directly?

Thanks!

No, latest_experimental will make its return on some future Monday following a weekend of exciting A20 streaming. It will all go down very much like the last few alpha releases and most like A19 with some weekly dev streams where the artists, level designers, and the programmers will show what they have been doing and the owners will do some gameplay footage all leading up to the Streamer Weekend Event with a Monday release to Experimental. Stable will follow 1-2 months after and then the normal cycle of experimental to stable for the decimal versions of A20.

Something like that most likely.

A question about a new type of quest to restore the electricity supply.
Can we expect in 20 Alpha, in high-level locations of this type, the appearance of turrets with infinite ammunition that attack the player, protecting the top-end loot? Or other electrical traps that the player will have to disable in order to get to the top loot? Or is it a surprise?

1 hour ago, SittingDuck said:

my question would be... will this thread become a one year + thread?

I believe one year old dev diary thread wouldn't surprise anyone (we had dev diary thread of similar age in the past), so now to make it stand out, more interesting, a whole new record, a whole new game, we need at least two years old dev diary thread with a whole new Alpha, skipping A20 and going directly for A21, because that one will be more interesting anyway and because why not...

On 8/31/2021 at 11:23 AM, Kirill_226RUS said:

@faatal, what changes in music will there be in A20? And will they be at all?

Zack has made improvements and I think we have more tracks, but he would have to tell you the details.

On 8/31/2021 at 5:06 AM, Stubbze said:

please implement the Vulkan API mode, with it the performance will be several times better than direct x 11, on the Valkan API I now have pink textures

We already support Vulkan, but we have little control over it. That is between Unity, drivers and the OS. In any event, performance is not much different.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Zack has made improvements and I think we have more tracks, but he would have to tell you the details.

We already support Vulkan, but we have little control over it. That is between Unity, drivers and the OS. In any event, performance is not much different.

I haven’t tried vulkan in a while but it seemed to work worse imo.

No noticeable frame rate improvement and noticeably worse artifacts and stuff on the screen.

I know this is a unity thing not blaming you guys.

Similar with other games, vulkan just doesn’t help out much and seems to cause weird graphics glitches. Vulkan is a big disappointment to me, it was over hyped and under delivered.

54 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I haven’t tried vulkan in a while but it seemed to work worse imo.

No noticeable frame rate improvement and noticeably worse artifacts and stuff on the screen.

I know this is a unity thing not blaming you guys.

Similar with other games, vulkan just doesn’t help out much and seems to cause weird graphics glitches. Vulkan is a big disappointment to me, it was over hyped and under delivered.

i tried vulkan here with absolutely no improvement, i did try vulkan with doom with all graphic maxed and the game just black screened with my rtx2080 ti. so yeah, i couldnt get doom to run with my card but 7dtd does but doesnt improve anything for me. (except to ease my conscience) :)

4 hours ago, faatal said:

I did a video on Dx11 vs Vulcan and its almost no difference performance wise and it was not all that stable

@faatal

@Kinyajuu

1. What are you Currently working on?

2. Can you maybe post a screen shots of the new City Generation/ RWG?

3. Any on idea streaming dates?

4. With Streaming dates can we have some in Uk/Europe Timezones, 3 am is a bit early :)

5. Is there anything we can do as the community to help you guys out?

Edited by Annihilatorza (see edit history)

It is no surprise that potential improvements of vulkan don't show up. Vulkan or similar middleware like metal remove an intermediate layer that directx or opengl usually provides. It allows more fine-tuning of a game. But if you just use a middleware like unity you have just substituted one general middleware with another that is provided by unity. 

For 7d2d the advantage is mainly that vulkan actually works better (with newer graphics cards) than opengl on linux. Something similar should be the case with metal on apple, if not now then in the near future as opengl falls behind in supported features.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic