Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

8 hours ago, samljer said:

Not sure why the forum forced me to leave a blank comment with a quote but. there it is :(

Question:

Will navezgane be reworked/redone/replaced to be kept up to par with the new features, POIs, objects (like mailboxes), new street layouts,  etc?

Navezgane has been updated in previous alphas to include new material. I dont see why it wont this time

On 8/12/2021 at 12:57 PM, Games'n'Grumble said:

Hello there, @faatal ! Once on Twitter, we were shown a new technology for destroying doors. Can you tell us something about this? Should we wait for this mechanic in the A20? Will it affect the FPS? And thank you for your great work! 🙂

I really never get tired of watching poor Arlene doing that belly-flop-downstairs stunt 😆

Really hoping that will be implemented, but even if not, thx madmole for the effort of making this "tech-experiment" happen!

It's so hilarious, just that small scene is absolutely worth it!

Reminds me of those "outtake scenes" which are shown after some movies...sometimes best of it all, even it they didn't make it in. 👍

3 hours ago, samljer said:

With all the new stuff this time it would probably need a full rework. was just curious.

Well a long time ago, the pimps had the foresight to block areas off with radzones, then they can just un-rad them and add new features easily, or change anything they want on the main map... I do believe nav will get an update, otherwise, it will pale in comparison to Kinyajuu's RWG.  Which will be amazing.

20 hours ago, Roland said:

Default is off.

I've asked about this before, and no answer, but it might be time to ask again...

A few games have a single, simple "configuration" that sets a bunch of actual settings en masse. For example, a "hard" mode could set feral sense to on, but also disable loot respawn, delete everything on death, use "warrior" difficulty, etc. You can then customize the settings from the default for that configuration.

Are there any plans to add something like this? It seems like the best of all worlds - it's simple for the players who just want to jump in and play, but can be customized for those that want the freedom to tweak everything.

(And of course if those could be defined in XML, it would be great for modders. :) )

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

Are there any plans to add something like this? It seems like the best of all worlds - it's simple for the players who just want to jump in and play, but can be customized for those that want the freedom to tweak everything.

Because you asked, they are going to add 50 additional options to tweak, but nothing to tie them together  😉

Kidding aside, that is nice to have.  I got one game where I can select a mode (easy, medium, hard) which changes all the options to that "default" then I can adjust the individual sliders harder or easier based on what I want to do in that playthrough.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:03 AM, Kinyajuu said:

1. Yes, each district has a set of tiles in Prefabs/RWGTiles/, they can be overwritten or simply add a number to the end and you can have any number of variants. They can be any height (meaning you can add sewers and other things underground) and must be 150x150 in size.
2. Yes, there are 4 way intersection, 3 way intersection, striaght, corner, and dead end type tiles.
3. Yes, we have several tiles where the streets veer off and dead end, alleyways, etc. within the tile. only the edges have to match up

4. We are just calling them POI spawn markers as we also have something called Part spawn markers.
5. All town/city district tiles use an exact size, the rural edges of a town will take anything that can fit in the space (down to the next POI marker size). I will be adding an option to allow the same on the district tiles via the rwg mixer.
6. Yes, Extra Small = 25x25, Small = 42x42, Medium = 60x60, Large = 100x100
7. They can be directly next to each other as the POI will always fit in the dimensions
8. They are all at the same level, doing multi height tech will be a large undertaking and not something we'll be doing for a20 for certain.
9. Yes, parcels are 2d, no height requirement as we had no need for that with the current system
10. It's better to leave out anything that isn't part of a real world lot, sidewalk from the house to the edge is fine, but you wouldn't want to put a frontage on there (at least on residential) I've seen some downtowns with front sidewalks that blended well with the downtown tiles.
11. Yes, zoning is associated with the tile. The definition of a tile to be a zone type is in it's name.
image.thumb.png.e1cf079931641b9571a77f99324d3941.png

12. Yes they will, we have city, town, country town, and another I'll leave as a surprise.
13.  Nothing was planned as of yet as this tech is still new. We'll be fleshing it out after initial release as per usual. :)

I have a question that has been bugging me. Right now the zoning is given by an element on a prefab's xml. Is the zoning for tiles exclusively based on the tile name?

2 hours ago, jorbascrumps said:

what do hell? another one shoe only? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu i hate asymmetry

Random Gen questions:

1. Are there plans for wilderness tiles? Say, something like "house goes here, well or water tower goes here, one small crop here and one medium crop here", to be spawned in the wilderness?

2. And if there are no plans for that, would it work if someone created a rwg_tile_wilderness as a mod?

3. Will modlets work with rng, loading tiles and prefabs from modlets that have them before world creation starts?

4. Can one create a "wildcard" tile that may be used on any zoning?

5. Are there "no roads" tiles? For example, if I wanted to create a no-cars downtown tile.

6. Can we get a "save preview" option on the previewer to create a png or jpeg of the whole map? (I'll admit: that's not really a question 😂)

I have a question, since alpha 20 will receive pipe weapons and will remove the blunderbuss, will there be spsecific ammo for this ammo( some kind of low tier ammo like "makeshift pipe pistol ammo") like the blunderbuss ammo? 

ive been thinking abou this latly and it kind makes sence to make some makeshift ammo for the pipe weapons, not only add new tipes of ammo (low tier) but also an easy way to get ammo, i imagine the recipe being 1 gunpowder, 1 scrap metal and 1 paper or wood, imagine wood casing, that would be quite interesting.

but for now thats my teory, back to the question, would anithing like that be added in alpha 20?

On 8/12/2021 at 12:29 AM, sinda said:

fantastic! any changes to how texture streaming will work? there are plenty with computers that can handle streaming off when the game throws the switch (mods with additional assets, etc).. having to manually toss the command in console each time can get tedious; a perma true would be awesome. there are modlets floating around to handle this, but some don't like to rely on modlets for such things. thanks 👍

No changes. I would not play with streaming off.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:57 AM, Games'n'Grumble said:

Hello there, @faatal ! Once on Twitter, we were shown a new technology for destroying doors. Can you tell us something about this? Should we wait for this mechanic in the A20? Will it affect the FPS? And thank you for your great work! 🙂

Not sure where we are at with that. I did some code/xml for it months ago and Ryan has made some prototypes, but think it was put on hold. He might be working on it again, but could end up in A21.

It should not affect FPS.

On 8/13/2021 at 5:35 AM, Kirill_226RUS said:

@faatal, will there ever be a realistic spatial sound in 7 Days To Die? Now, both in a closed space and on the street, shots and the rest sound the same. I'm not asking about the A20, but in general: will there be such a sound in the game, sounding different depending on the environment? Even the old sounds will be felt in a new way, the immersion in the world will improve. And yes - I know that it's not just a couple of ticks to put in Unity.

I give is a 50/50 we change it at some point.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:02 PM, Xeen said:

@TFP

Would anyone care to take a stab at explaining CPU core utilization, specifically the maximum number of cores the game engine will utilize.
Also are there any improvements that could be made in the area of multi-core efficiency, specifically in the area of thread loading.

Thanks in advance.

Basically we have these threads:

Main

GPU

Mesh building

Mesh colliders (a20)

Pathfinding (1 to x)

Dynamic mesh?

Misc?

Yes, you could always improve stuff, but it comes down to time vs benefit. Do you have the time and is it worth using the time on that.

Mesh colliders is a good example that was added to a20 to get PhysX collider processing off the main thread. It was not super hard or time consuming, but I've had to fix bugs in it twice now. I think it was worth the time.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Basically we have these threads:

Main

GPU

Mesh building

Mesh colliders (a20)

Pathfinding (1 to x)

Dynamic mesh?

Misc?

Yes, you could always improve stuff, but it comes down to time vs benefit. Do you have the time and is it worth using the time on that.

Mesh colliders is a good example that was added to a20 to get PhysX collider processing off the main thread. It was not super hard or time consuming, but I've had to fix bugs in it twice now. I think it was worth the time.

Since  you guys are constantly robbing peter to pay paul, I would imagine that no amount of cores is ever enough and no amount time spent optimizing could ever be a waste.

@faatal I have 1 cores for you to load up man, hit me!

*EDIT*
12 cores

pss. Where is the edit button on this thing?

@TFP

The dynamic imposters increases the distance that you can see player built structures and changes to POIs further away, is there going to be any change in the distance we can visually see players being rendered in? As of right now, it feels like the distance is about 80m-120m before they start popping in and out of render. Another example is being in a gyrocopter with a friend below on a motorcycle will usually show just the motorcycle being visible so it is a bike driving itself

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic