Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

You can google splat maps.

Did not really help. I get that A18 has a new terrain shader for the terrain textures using this splat technique. But my questions was about the splat maps of the world generator translating to actual biomes.xml biomes appearing in the world and as such the kind of terrain texture that is on the top soil block determined by that biomes.xml biome. I was asking if this flow has changed since you said biomes.xml biomes do no longer determine the terrain texture aka the kind of top soil block (the first layers) of the biome. So I wondered how it does work in A18 then, are there just dirt blocks that get a texture painted on them and are biomes completely seperate or what?

The confusion about splat maps arises largely from the fact that they're used twice in terrain generation and in very different roles.

Without resorting to pedantry... a splat map is a texture* that is used to store data.

The terrain shader uses splats to mix the different terrain textures in the correct proportion*. These have little to do with terrain dithering except to display the already dithered terrain.

This is an educated guess but I'd say that the terrain generator uses splats to determine which blocks should be shown. It's likely that one texture channel (R,G,B and possibly A) determines which blocks should be rock, a second channel for soil determines which blocks above rock should be changed to soil. A third channel (possibly fourth as well) is likely used for roads. The downside to this system is that the splats are two dimensional which leads to vertical lines of blocks where dithering occurs.

* inaccurate to a certain degree

I haven't caught up on everything but for those that are still worried about a stealth build and what to do on horde night, just look at the Alpha 18 Perk Overhaul Video MM put out. At 15:25 it shows the Agility Attribute page which shows Archery, Gunslinger and Deep Cuts. So if someone wants to be stealthy using a bow and knife all week then they will have tons of ammo for their pistol, magnum and SMG on BM.

I don't see why anyone would hide in the shadows and do nothing to help themselves or their friends on BM when they have all those guns and ammo plus the perks to support massive damage?

I haven't caught up on everything but for those that are still worried about a stealth build and what to do on horde night, just look at the Alpha 18 Perk Overhaul Video MM put out. At 15:25 it shows the Agility Attribute page which shows Archery, Gunslinger and Deep Cuts. So if someone wants to be stealthy using a bow and knife all week then they will have tons of ammo for their pistol, magnum and SMG on BM.

I don't see why anyone would hide in the shadows and do nothing to help themselves or their friends on BM when they have all those guns and ammo plus the perks to support massive damage?

That is basically the same thing I said. Its a non issue.

+Added: Electrical schematics to loot and traders (Joel)

+Added: Craftable power doors and bridges. Unlocked via schematic or tier 4 of Advanced Engineering (Joel)(still need to clean up attachment points)

*Changed: Upgraded trader to use new loot template for books (Joel)

This was no easy task lol. Sounded like a couple hours of work took from 9 to 630 lol.

<snip>

Builds are seeing a massive revamp in a18, with weapons being linked to certain attributes, new trees, and the new books. I don't think it's fair to make any calls about the a18 builds at this point as what we've seen is evidence that there will be a lot more variety. I think when you say "opd" (overpowered....'d?) you mean become "imba"(imbalanced)? I don't see why that would be beneficial. Usually you want balance across playstyles.

Wait, I thought we agreed that stealth builds already have power during BM due to the increased amount of resources they have from conservation (and in my opinion even more due to looting speed). Why are we talking about stealth builds getting even more power? I personally don't think stealth builds need power for BM night. If you just want a playstyle difference on BM night I mean, I guess they could? but it doesn't really make sense to me. The whole point of "Seven days to die" is about the seventh day event. Your playstyle influences how you prepare for it, but the horde should be the horde imo. Maybe you gathered raw materials to thwart it with strong defences. Maybe you were working on refining to thwart it with traps. Maybe you're a melee brawler, or a ranged sniper.

A stealth build thwarts the horde through sheer volume of supplies. And I think that's a fine enough application of the playstyle - I don't personally think it's right to change the base nature of the challenge being overcome, with the playstyle. The challenge should be the same. If only some of the zombies are actually coming after you, the challenge has changed: drastically reducing the difficulty by literally doing nothing and staying quiet. The horde shouldn't be avoided, but overcome or withstood imho. Maybe don't think of it as the "stealth" build, but the "PoI looting" build =p

First, welcome to the forums Vapid :)

I only play SP in 7dtd. In the past there have been a few things that were, umm, 'discussed'(?) where mechanics impacted SP/MP/PvP games quite differently (apparently). So when I wrote,

"Another large factor is that the same exact 'builds' are used across SP, MP and PvP. So what might be a nice team bonus for MP games might be OPd in PvP."

What I meant was the devs also have to consider how Balance tweak A will impact all three game types.

So something that might be cool & fun for SP might be really 'overpowered' (OPd) in MP or PvP.

As MM has written "Balance" is/can-be subjective. To me, in general, 'good' balance would mean that every Build Template would be roughly equally viable. So a 'Builder' isn't just one-shotted by the weakest zed, but also a 'Tank' isn't unable to build a base. The Overpowered bit comes in like MM just mentioned regarding the Fireaxe. If that's, by far, the best Melee weapon then it invalidates the other `melee` builds/weapons.

So, yes, fully agree with you when you said, "Usually you want balance across playstyles." :)

On the last bit, where I threw out a couple ideas on how, possibly, to 'buff up' Stealth build/s for horde nights, it was with the assumption that the devs _may_ decide that there's a need to. Not that I personally think there is (again SP only here).

No idea how long you've been playing 7dtd, and I'm only bringing it up in case you haven't played a16. Horde nights changed radically between a16 & a17. In a16 you could readily build bases where you could melee a lot if not the majority of a horde, and those were pretty easy designs. In a17 it's quite a bit trickier to build anything resembling a 'pure melee base'. While it's certainly possible to do so for the first couple/few horde nights, I haven't seen a single base design that relied on melee damage output for later gamestages. The 'closest' I know of is the 'fight em on the ground' with lots of potion assistance.

Point of all that is that in a17 I could see how some could rationally argue that a Stealth build is gimped on horde nights. One of the larger parts of that being, imo, that a Stealth builds Hidden Strike .5-2x(?) damage multiplier can _never_ land during BMs. And the same could be argued about a later stage Melee build where their melee Skullcrusher isn't likely to see any action. So the convoluted last idea I threw out. If Build A can't put out the Damage per Time, and the design intent isn't that A compensate via other means (traps?)(which may well be the case), then a mechanic that slows down some of the zeds in a wave may work to balance across builds.

To be fair though, the majority of the base/BM testing I did was in a17exp~a17.1. Even a17.4 is quite a bit different from those earlier builds. Now I use a few base designs where I have very little to do on horde nights. Mainly because I find bows boring, and I'm not willing to use up all the firearm rounds. So just e-fencing, dart & blade traps and a short path. Though I am hoping that a18 will bring back some of the, 'in your face!' melee base defense from a16, heh :)

+Added: Craftable power doors and bridges. Unlocked via schematic or tier 4 of Advanced Engineering (Joel)(still need to clean up attachment points)

This was no easy task lol. Sounded like a couple hours of work took from 9 to 630 lol.

Oh hell yeah!

Thank you for doing it even so MM! Really looking forward to the powered doors/bridges :)

Nice, thanks for the effort, know how seemingly little things can easily inflate into time sinks like that. Curious to see what kinds of interesting builds develop by making use of those powered door types. Just super glad the electrical system got some love, and additions, for A18.

Dammit Matt... :)

Excellent news!

I remember the first and only time I had a generators and I built about 7 or 8 blade traps.(A-17). I lived on top of a garage..and built bridges across the road to the other buildings.. Was all set for horde night -- blade traps running -couldn't wait to hear those z's getting chopped up-- so you know what they did>? went right for my electrical box/generator that I put up high on the wall//// my in experience cost me..lol.. had to run for it and whilst on a bridge they knocked it to shreds and I fell off... I ran into a field and barely survived til morning.. Know how?

Stealth'..... great for solo play. (there was a few fights but I fought em off enough to get to run away and hide a bit- I should state though, that I had the z's set for running not sprinting-otherwise I would have been eaten.

Thanks for taking the time to reply @FileMachete

I apologize for misunderstanding. I currently have 220 hours in 7dtd, certainly nowhere near some peoples hours (I know how many hours can go into a particular game, oh god I know. 7k into one in particular....). Most of which has been spent in a17. I picked up the game waaaaay back, but never got into the early builds due to lack of progression clarity. Just kind of plopped down into the world without any idea of how to do anything, how to craft, what to craft (this was back when it used the blind crafting grid without recipe assistance, unsure which patch). So I just spend a bit of time walking around, punching things, figured out how to make an axe, failed to use sleeping bags, then got distracted by other games until a video recently popped up in my youtube feed about the new a17 and it got me very interested in it again.

I've been having a lot of fun with a17, but the massive amount of progress the game has made since when I first tried it to now cannot be understated. With that being so vivid in my mind, I find it hard to think the developers are failing to push things in the right direction. Concerning A17 (where the vast majority of my experience lies) I find a lot of the common issues are being addressed in A18, and I really find it hard to comment on a skill tree we have yet to really see, let alone experience.

From what I understand, a18 is introducing a pretty much complete overhaul of the perk system, with the books added in really shaking up how progression works. At this point I want to take the approach of "wait and see". and if there is balance problems in what we've been provided, talk about it then. So far there's been no evidence of concern i've seen in new content, people are just talking about worries from past content. I'm not talking about concerns regarding the crafting system and the awful awful grid, let's have the same commitment to moving forward concerning the perk tree.

Though my biggest concern coming from a17 that I haven't heard much on, is item mods. weapon mods are critical in late game. The difference between an unmodded pistol, and a fully modded pistol is immense. Not just for damage, but also utility. The biggest issue i've had is that mods are fairly rare, and extremely RNG. I understand mods will no longer effect damage, but that's not why missing them is an issue to me.

One of my latest stealth builds I've gotten to level 114 (day 40), but have yet to find a silencer, or a silencer schematic. about a bajillion impact bracers, but no silencers. I've been checking 4 of the traders every time they reset, all shotgun messiahs including the factory every reset, and focusing on buildings with weapon safes, and nada. But without that silencer, I can't finalize my playstyle. Over 7k 9mm ammo in a storage chest with maxed agility, perception, all sneak perks and pistol perks, a level 6 pistol with all the rest of my mods, but can't find a silencer to actually use the build to clear PoI's. A bow still works with the build, but not what I wanted the build to really do.

Basically I'm hoping some of the perks unlock mod schematics so you aren't forced into RNG waiting for the right attachments for your build. Waiting for that extended barrel and bipod for your sniper, that polymer string and arrow rest for your archer, etc. These attachments don't just empower a build, they can be necessary, and I think it would be nice for the build to unlock mods that correspond to the perk.

EG if the perk that unlocks more silent movement unlocks muffled connectors > impact bracing > advanced muffled connectors > silencer. The rifleman perk unlocks semi-auto trigger > bi-pod > extended barrel > muzzle brake, so on and so forth. if books are going to be available again to teach schematics, I don't see the problem with them being added to other perks as well to remove from RNG from the exact recipies you really need for your build.

Wonderful.

Before my eyes are two doors/bridges opening whenver a zombie tries to go through the other door/bridge that now closes. Or a circle where the zombie is always led around because always the next door is open. Absolutely useless construct. But the highlight of my next base.

Absolutely useless construct. But the highlight of my next base.

Man I have so much fun making absolutely useless constructs, specifically electrical/mechanical, in video games.

The more it looks like it does something (or many things!) whilst doing nothing at all, the better.

Archived