Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No problem Joel, just thought you might like to know for future videos.

Any gameplay videos planned?

As always, thanks for all that you do... Awesome game and great videos!

Maybe, I need to get all the book videos done first.

Great news about the infection system.

By weather, are you refering to the heat and cold or also to the rain and snow? I miss the rain and snow.

The weather temp is all over the place and I'd like to have a global cloud/rain/snow system.

With the heat and cold you want to include Acclimatization, which takes about two weeks for a healthy person.

So if a player wants to live in the snow biome, for example, after two weeks their body's will have made changes to make them resistant to cold.

The problem would be if they temporarily went to a hot biome, they could suffer more than others.

That would be over designed IMO. I just want it colder at night, rain global and snow if you are in the snow biome, and the buff to show how much more insulation you need to be comfortable. So if you were hot the heat buff would pop out and start climbing to say 10, and you would need 10 more hyperthemal insulation to combat it.

how perfected we talking? enough to have huge worlds without using a billion ram?

Ram hasn't been an issue since A16. 8k maps with realistic sloping mountains and lakes and roads that are mostly serviceable is about perfect to me.

I was interested in how the biomes are laid out, and the water bodies, and the cities..

Do you like Rust's RWG?

Yes it looks nice, has POIS, rivers, biomes and roads, even caves. The POIs are the same but that is their choice. We have more realistic cities and rural housing instead of one giant industrial POIs in each biome.

A18 was supposed to be a small update about books and balance then all of a sudden:

- BOOM! - random stat on weapons

- BOOM! - block selection tool

- BOOM! - high res textures for terrain

- BOOM! - electric bridges and doors

If it wasn't for the content lock, I'm sure the old glorious caves would squeezed in.

Thanks for the support, but I'm sure they wouldn't.

Yes it looks nice, has POIS, rivers, biomes and roads, even caves. The POIs are the same but that is their choice. We have more realistic cities and rural housing instead of one giant industrial POIs in each biome.

will the RWG, per say, put a nice POI cabin in the woods on a mountain top?

Or a nice lake cabin? i want serenity in this ill forgotten world

I'm just curious, will the contents within airdrops be altered in A18 (ex. will we see the return of "specialty airdrops", such as one containing medical items, one containing food, etc.), or will they have the same contents from A17 airdrops? (EDIT: Nevermind, it was answered previously. Moving on...)

Edit: Also, just speaking theoretically here (I'm not asking, but rather a friend of mine is), will the contents of the airdrops get, on average, progressively more useful as the days go on in your world? (Let's say you had AD to being on every day, to keep things simple, and because I hate math. Lol. A day 1 AD would have, say, some regular bandages, maybe a few bullets, and maybe some canned food; a day 50 AD on the other hand would contain, for example, some bullets, maybe a gun or two, and some more advanced medical and food items. There would, theoretically, be a cap to this progression, of course.)

What day it is, is irrelevant for a few alphas now. Your level and how well you are doing controls the game stage, and most of the air drop loot is scaled to your game stage.

Well fair enough. I'm not exactly a marksman lol. But you told me your gamestage and yea, your not facing the zombies I was.

Also I'm more talking about the big t5 towers. I'd clear the bear den using zero ammo. It's the big t5 towers that are the issue.

Thing is your playing alpha 18 and I'm on alpha 17. The fact you dont have to worry about ammo gives me hope for alpha 18. Looking forward to it.

Ammo is a non issue if:

You mine 3 nights a week (coal one night, nitrate the other, lead the next)

You loot enough (Brass is plentiful)

You don't shoot everything all the time and use melee for most zeds

You don't just do T5 POIs non stop.

You specialize into some weapons to maximize damage.

So if you play a balanced play style, you should have no problem. I'd speculate if I mined every night I'd have enough ammo to just shoot everything, combined with buying out traders of their stock. I quit buying ammo from them once I found my mines because I'm saving for that random day when a 4x4 or motorcycle drops in his inventory.

I have a question about books. So if I will find a book, that I already know, is it possible to let me know somehow that I have already read that book, and I can pass it to the team mate? If not, we will waste some books by reading them twice, or waste some time, to found out if we already know this one.

You can check in the perk book menu, it shows a lock on it. Reading books gives you XP so its never a waste to re-read one.

Madmole, the weather is very broken in a18? so that alpha can we have global rain, and snow in snow biomes? In alpha A14 I remember that we had snow in the forest for a few minutes it was excellent.

That is never coming back, too many shader fog bugs with non pc platforms.

Archived