Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

You lose 25% of what it would take to level in XP. If it goes below the start mark of the blue xp bar it turns the XP bar red and it grows outwards in red. So if you get in a death loop (die 4x times), you never lose a level, but there is still penalty to dying and you have to earn back a full bar of red before you are back in the blue and working towards the next level again.

Love it! Keeps things interesting as the game progresses. 25% can be a huge loss late game.

Getting to a point where in a game you ignore the threats can be fun, but really so many games do that already. This is refreshing to see a game where getting too cocky in the late game can be a big mistake.

Lets see, do I take a crammed bus to Dallas, or get in my Hellcat with lots of room and drive? You act like players do not have a choice to play SP or host a small private game where resources are not obliterated by people breaking the supported players. Why intentionally be cramped and complain about it? Play SP, or play in a supported setting. You don't ride in that cramped bus and get to bitch about it when we offer a personal hellcat for everyone.

okay... THAT is stupid. Well.. obviously your right to have that opinion...

but...

"why would anyone want icecream on hot summer days when cool water is so much more refreshing and contains less sugar??"

Maybe because they like the different experience icecream gives you compared to water?

You act as if multiplayer plays like singleplayer. I can tell you: it does not! Either pvp servers that have to fend off hordes AND players or PvE servers that, while similar, still give you a sense of a living breathing world.

Before A17 I only played multiplayer, because survival really isnt that hard for me... and I either wanted to share my builds with loads of people (pve) or I wanted the thrill of PvP that was the only thing giving me a challenge.

But since I had to mod A17 I played solo for the first time... and it wasn't the same... got boring quite quick because i had the best stuff and survival wasn't that big of an issue.

So there. Multiplayer is a completely different experience. THAT is why people don't want to play singleplayer and complain about mapsize.

I am not saying they are right. They can still ask the hoster to increase mapsize... but it WOULD be nice to have a "supported" option that says: 16k (not supported-use at your own risk). This would probably make all sides happy!

Not quite perfect, but a WAY better design than A17.

Again: rewarding the player/taking away the reward is a "better" designchoice in general, but if you really want to hammer home, that it is a punishment, it is totally allright!

(So for example if you haven't died for

24h - x1.5 xp

3 days - x2 xp

7days - x2.5 xp)

In the end it is more or less the same endresult (the player needing more xp to level) but it feels more rewarding not to die, rather than feeling NOT punished.

Buuut I don't want to harper on this too much. I'm already happy for this :D

No more "now everything you do is 25% slower! Have fun!"

This idea is interesting. In Fallout 4 (survival mode) you have "Adrenaline" for killing.

Adrenaline is a perk that is granted when playing on survival mode. It provides a bonus to damage output and is increased by getting kills. Every five kills increases the Adrenaline rank, adding 5% bonus damage. A maximum of 50% extra damage can be built up at rank 10 of the perk.

Sleeping in a bed removes anywhere from 2 to all 10 ranks of Adrenaline, depending on the amount of time the Sole Survivor has slept

Maybe some similar system for "not dying"

Lets see, do I take a crammed bus to Dallas, or get in my Hellcat with lots of room and drive? You act like players do not have a choice to play SP or host a small private game where resources are not obliterated by people breaking the supported players. Why intentionally be cramped and complain about it? Play SP, or play in a supported setting. You don't ride in that cramped bus and get to bitch about it when we offer a personal hellcat for everyone.

So the supported players is 8 of the *same* player, and not 8 at a time? Ok, I'm cool with that.

okay... THAT is stupid. Well.. obviously your right to have that opinion...

but...

"why would anyone want icecream on hot summer days when cool water is so much more refreshing and contains less sugar??"

Maybe because they like the different experience icecream gives you compared to water?

You act as if multiplayer plays like singleplayer. I can tell you: it does not! Either pvp servers that have to fend off hordes AND players or PvE servers that, while similar, still give you a sense of a living breathing world.

Before A17 I only played multiplayer, because survival really isnt that hard for me... and I either wanted to share my builds with loads of people (pve) or I wanted the thrill of PvP that was the only thing giving me a challenge.

But since I had to mod A17 I played solo for the first time... and it wasn't the same... got boring quite quick because i had the best stuff and survival wasn't that big of an issue.

So there. Multiplayer is a completely different experience. THAT is why people don't want to play singleplayer and complain about mapsize.

I am not saying they are right. They can still ask the hoster to increase mapsize... but it WOULD be nice to have a "supported" option that says: 16k (not supported-use at your own risk). This would probably make all sides happy!

I get your point, but you should avoid using the word stupid. As stated, we hope to support 16k maps some day. I think its "a poor choice" people subject themselves crowded servers when there are better options is all. Coconut frozen yogurt tastes like ice cream without the downfalls. A big map wouldn't solve it anyway, you can easily trod over a looted area no matter the size, and size is a double edge sword, too large and there are never any player interactions, so that is lame too IMO. To make things worse, you walk another 8 KM only to find pre looted areas. There is no guarantee of finding fresh loot no matter how big you make it, someone else could loot it before you.

The best solution is resetting of dormant chunks options for the server.

I don't know, KM doesn't bother me at all, its a measurable shrinking distance as you move, so it works. We might not even need celcius/farenheight when we're done.

Yeah... but, Navezgane is in Arizona, USA, and we don't do kilometers here, so it doesn't fit into the lore. I can't remember what unit those in-game street signs(where they say distance of cities) uses, I sure hope it is miles, you will never see those signs in Kilometers. My personal hatred for metric aside, and that's hard to put aside(I design irl things, metric is my nemesis), it's still inaccurate in this case and setting.

Regardless it should at least be an option, as with celsius/farenheit, because I know I am not the only one who is severely passionate about this seemingly little detail. And for good reason, using unfamiliar units like that result in the stat becoming either meaningless or confusing, neither situation leads to a good gaming experience, especially if those stats are relevant. Some people shrug at it, others lose their damn minds, my point is this shouldn't be shrugged off as a minor thing. Simply putting in the option would avoid the problem, and I can't think of any convincing reason why that shouldn't be done.

Most Sincerely'

My Brain.

Yeah... but, Navezgane is in Arizona, USA, and we don't do kilometers here, so it doesn't fit into the lore. I can't remember what unit those in-game street signs(where they say distance of cities) uses, I sure hope it is miles, you will never see those signs in Kilometers. My personal hatred for metric aside, and that's hard to put aside(I design irl things, metric is my nemesis), it's still inaccurate in this case and setting.

Regardless it should at least be an option, as with celsius/farenheit, because I know I am not the only one who is severely passionate about this seemingly little detail. And for good reason, using unfamiliar units like that result in the stat becoming either meaningless or confusing, neither situation leads to a good gaming experience, especially if those stats are relevant. Some people shrug at it, others lose their damn minds, my point is this shouldn't be shrugged off as a minor thing. Simply putting in the option would avoid the problem, and I can't think of any convincing reason why that shouldn't be done.

Most Sincerely'

My Brain.

I'm old AF and think metric is 1000% better system, and I grew up learning inches/feet/ounces/miles. I'm damn good with fractions too, but at the end of the day are inferior to a simple divisible by 10 system.

My point is for a game, its diminishing number as your quest marker approaches, it really doesn't matter what it is.

Signs won't change. Unity is in meters so I don't know how much it would be to convert to miles. We are so used to meters there is no desire internally.

I get your point, but you should avoid using the word stupid. As stated, we hope to support 16k maps some day. I think its "a poor choice" people subject themselves crowded servers when there are better options is all. Coconut frozen yogurt tastes like ice cream without the downfalls. A big map wouldn't solve it anyway, you can easily trod over a looted area no matter the size, and size is a double edge sword, too large and there are never any player interactions, so that is lame too IMO. To make things worse, you walk another 8 KM only to find pre looted areas. There is no guarantee of finding fresh loot no matter how big you make it, someone else could loot it before you.

The best solution is resetting of dormant chunks options for the server.

A dormant chunk reset option... Please make it a server config option and not a hard coded must do!

Good idea though.

I would, if I were you, hop onto one of the busy servers (not as madmole) and see what all of the fuss is about... I know you don't have that kind of free time now, but I think you'd be amazed at the large communities your game has built, and be further amazed at how much fracking fun a large community is... Even the ones pushing past the deftly dodged (I saw what you did there) 8 player cap.

Your game is amazing, even in unintentional ways. You should get to experience that. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Unity is in meters so I don't know how much it would be to convert to miles. We are so used to meters there is no desire internally.

Km is fine, especially since as you mentioned, unity is in meters, and 1 block is 1 meter. It works out.

I'm old AF and think metric is 1000% better system, and I grew up learning inches/feet/ounces/miles. I'm damn good with fractions too, but at the end of the day are inferior to a simple divisible by 10 system.

My point is for a game, its diminishing number as your quest marker approaches, it really doesn't matter what it is.

Signs won't change. Unity is in meters so I don't know how much it would be to convert to miles. We are so used to meters there is no desire internally.

I can deal fine with the KM as it is now, for the same reason you stated, it's a number that gets smaller or bigger, good enough. I can deal with meters. I have created my own measurement systems on the fly before, it's fun. Anyway I am not pushing hard for that to change, units are units, there are situations where the type of unit is irrelevant, this is one.

Temperature is a different thing, changing units can make things super confusing. I can deal with meters fine because it is close enough to 3 feet that I can convert it effortlessly on the fly, and I do, all the time every time.

I am a very very avid user of Dozenal math, Decimal is far inferior to me, as a system. People like it because we use a Decimal based math as a base, not because it is better, but because it is common, and makes doing math within the Indo-Arabic 10 base system we adopted easier. But comparing the two is no contest, you can only divide 10 by 2 and 5 evenly, ugh, no wonder "math is hard", we use a ♥♥♥♥ system to do it with.. You can divide 12 by 2, 3, and 4(and 6 too), which makes it astronomically more useful as a system, also we still measure both time and space(geometry) in proportions of 12, not 10. Anyway, this is more about having a simple option for your players to choose between, I know people are just as passionate about decimal as I am for dozenal. If it were all in standard now I would still make the argument for the metric option because of other people.

I get your point, but you should avoid using the word stupid.

Sorry for the stupid... old habits (of beeing hated for beeing devils advocat :D) die hard.

thoughtless would probably be a better description. Since there are huge communities (as guppy said) that really REALLY enjoy playing with or against each other, building together or trying to outsmart the others.

Hell I like to play wandering trader on pvp servers. High risk low reward, but I love that playstyle, helping new players out, getting large quantities from veterans and having friendly chats in an otherwise hostile environment.

Just be aware that there is a huge subset of players that love multiplayer, and to say "eh they are not smart for playing the way we don't support" is not helping anyone.

Also love to hear that you are aiming towards eventual 16k maps.

Hey everyone! TFP's are giving away free Hellcats! :)

Thanks Fun Pimps! :)

Only USA and UK have inches, feet,ounces, pounds and miles, which is a bit disappointing. Metric is like you said, 1000% better and more used in the world. Not meant to insult anyone but in regards to this, USA is kinda narrow minded not to implement metric system. Let's not deviate from the game, glad you'll not change this aspect.

A dormant chunk reset option... Please make it a server config option and not a hard coded must do!

Good idea though.

I would, if I were you, hop onto one of the busy servers (not as madmole) and see what all of the fuss is about... I know you don't have that kind of free time now, but I think you'd be amazed at the large communities your game has built, and be further amazed at how much fracking fun a large community is... Even the ones pushing past the deftly dodged (I saw what you did there) 8 player cap.

Your game is amazing, even in unintentional ways. You should get to experience that. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Km is fine, especially since as you mentioned, unity is in meters, and 1 block is 1 meter. It works out.

Yes some people like no loot respawn so the chunk reset would have options.

Sorry for the stupid... old habits (of beeing hated for beeing devils advocat :D) die hard.

thoughtless would probably be a better description. Since there are huge communities (as guppy said) that really REALLY enjoy playing with or against each other, building together or trying to outsmart the others.

Hell I like to play wandering trader on pvp servers. High risk low reward, but I love that playstyle, helping new players out, getting large quantities from veterans and having friendly chats in an otherwise hostile environment.

Just be aware that there is a huge subset of players that love multiplayer, and to say "eh they are not smart for playing the way we don't support" is not helping anyone.

Also love to hear that you are aiming towards eventual 16k maps.

Right, but maybe its how I read their posts, like if its that damn bad, I'd do this. Maybe its worth it to them to deal with crowded servers to have that engaging MP experience. To me in any game when it exceeded 8-12 players it felt ridiculous.

Only USA and UK have inches, feet,ounces, pounds and miles, which is a bit disappointing. Metric is like you said, 1000% better and more used in the world. Not meant to insult anyone but in regards to this, USA is kinda narrow minded not to implement metric system. Let's not deviate from the game, glad you'll not change this aspect.

Yeah I think this topic should be more about simply putting in the option. You do not want to get drug into a mathematical debate about which system is actually better with me, I will break your brain. I get why people like metric, it works smoothly with the math system we all have and use, I get it, but that does not make it better overall. It makes it easier within those conditions, and that is a very different reason. Not being able to divide by such a fundamental number as 3 is what made me switch as a kid, by highschool I was a full convert and never went back. I work in high tech fields as an artist so I can get away with it, I have a patent, I am sought out my CMU, NASA, DARPA, MIT, and others for my unique skillset, so let's just assume my method works and leave it at that. Time and space even back me up, so again, unless you want to run down a rabbit hole of history and universal proportionality, let's just leave it here: put in the option, because people are different, it's more a respect for others thing than it is a having it my way thing.

I hate to break this to you but even England uses the English or the imperial system anymore. The only three contrary's that still use this are:

US.

Liberia.

Myanmar (a.k.a. “the country formerly known as Burma”)

On the other-hand I grew up on the English system so I am prefer it, even though the metric system seems better.

Yeah I think this topic should be more about simply putting in the option. You do not want to get drug into a mathematical debate about which system is actually better with me, I will break your brain. I get why people like metric, it works smoothly with the math system we all have and use, I get it, but that does not make it better overall. It makes it easier within those conditions, and that is a very different reason. Not being able to divide by such a fundamental number as 3 is what made me switch as a kid, by highschool I was a full convert and never went back. I work in high tech fields as an artist so I can get away with it, I have a patent, I am sought out my CMU, NASA, DARPA, MIT, and others for my unique skillset, so let's just assume my method works and leave it at that. Time and space even back me up, so again, unless you want to run down a rabbit hole of history and universal proportionality, let's just leave it here: put in the option, because people are different, it's more a respect for others thing than it is a having it my way thing.

I got nothing to argue about. Really, this game is awesome because of the many possibilities to customize your own server or single player session, so yeah, an option for that would be cool, depends on what Madmole is thinking...so...if he said to leave it metric because it's easier for them and works for them, then go for it...if he would have liked miles even more than km, then go for it, that doesn't bother me in any way.

That said, console people will start to cheer, for it means nothing else than: console games will be updated.

Is the issue with Telltale's rights solved?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Linux and Mac are the platforms in question. Don't start speculation about consoles.

They're dead until TFP explicitly say otherwise.

I hate to break this to you but even England uses the English or the imperial system anymore. The only three contrary's that still use this are:

US.

Liberia.

Myanmar (a.k.a. “the country formerly known as Burma”)

On the other-hand I grew up on the English system so I am prefer it, even though the metric system seems better.

Bro, I just said that USA and UK(England) uses the imperial system. :)

Right, but maybe its how I read their posts, like if its that damn bad, I'd do this. Maybe its worth it to them to deal with crowded servers to have that engaging MP experience. To me in any game when it exceeded 8-12 players it felt ridiculous.

Yeah I avoid those huge servers for the same reason, especially the ones where you have to go through an initiation period by wandering around some custome POI reading walls full of rules. Walls of rules = bye bye. I tried a few times, ugh, but some people like it that way, I don't get it, and I sure did not expect loot to be a thing I would find easily, if at all. I do SP, MP with friends, and occasionally find a MP server I can otherwise tolerate, one of my best games ever was on an MP server, it had zero rules, and it was fun. But also a very rare find.

Actually, the metric system was tried here in the US, but didn't catch on...except in two areas I can think of off the top of my head...

1) The auto industry. Metric nuts and bolts. Car engines rated in liters, like 3.8 liter and 6.6 liter instead of 231 or 454 cubic inches.

2) Drugs. Lots of drugs are sold by the gram. (insert your own experience here). :playful:

Not this argument again. It used to be a lot of things. Ugly, jittery, hard on servers, and the list goes on and on. We chose performant, good looking and a reasonable size. I'd rather have 8k of high quality high performant map than unlimited garbage terrain.

The performance of A17 with small maps sucks compared to A16 with huge maps. Im not understanding the disconnect

154 MF bugs now. Interesting enough the programmers have hardly any and its levels and art who have more. Gazz has over 50, so you guys can pretty much badger Gazz to get A18 out, the rest of us are in good shape. I'll start bailing him out when I'm done with mine, I have 10 left.

Thank you for keeping us updated on the bugs. I do not know why but it makes me feel better knowing this

Archived