Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I love challenge, the only thing im concerned about here is when u are the client in direct connect the zombies already have magical reaching arms , i know that the internet has lag but its much worse in A17 than A16.. This new rage when combined with lag is gonna feel horrible for clients unless net code or whatever the correct term is, is optimized.

For clients its going to seem like 1 second a zombie is 20 feet way, then the next second it takes damage speeds up makes it to 10 feet away then magically hits you due to net code/lag or whatever is causing this to be much worse, since A17.

This was always the case. Depending on how good/bad your connection is and where the server is hosted.

So this only marginially increases the problem.

But I feel that they should just fix the network lag instead of holding back features that will still be enjoyable in singleplayer... right?

I mean... I'm 100% with you that they need to fix the network lag. (there is a mod that reduces the reach of Z's to compensate for network! Can't recommend it enough!")

This was always the case. Depending on how good/bad your connection is and where the server is hosted.

So this only marginially increases the problem.

But I feel that they should just fix the network lag instead of holding back features that will still be enjoyable in singleplayer... right?

I mean... I'm 100% with you that they need to fix the network lag. (there is a mod that reduces the reach of Z's to compensate for network! Can't recommend it enough!")

Yea im talking direct connect with me and a friend, no server. It just feels worse in 17 and our internet connections are just as good as they were in A16.

And yes id like the feature to be added... and net code improved... but i dont have a good feeling about the lag/net code ever being looked in to.

This is all gut reaction from someone who has not played alpha 18 yet. With that being said.

3-4 seconds is an eternity in this game and can mean death. You yourself have stated this is going to be a big deal.

I say this is un needed. I get hit all the time with melee in alpha 17. I take a good amount of damage already and use my fair share of healing bandages.

High level pois are already pointless because of the ammo we have to use. Rage mode will only make it worse.

Again this is rage mode in a17. I'm sure balance will be done for rage mode in a18.

Just putting my thoughts out there.

The Rage speed boost doesn't make them suddenly go from walk to sprint. @madmole stated that the speed boost is not even to the next speed level but about half way between their set speed and the next level. So walking would speed up to be faster than walking but slower than jog, etc. Personally I like this idea as it adds some variation to the zeds and enhances combat, but I much prefer melee so my opinion is probably biased.

That's fine. But I think I'm a pretty good player. We are both just arguing for a change from our point of view. And I'd wager I'm more near the majority of players than you are. I guess I dont expect you to care about that. You want the game that's most fun for you and thats cool. I'm just pointing out that in my very humble opinion you are the 1%. I will always advocate for changes for the majority.

People have been asking for zombie killing to be spiced up in other ways, then just making them "bullet sponges" for ages. Now that they have put something in doing just that, it is a welcomed feature imo. Hopefully it can be expanded upon in other areas, like attack speed, frequency, or making them get weaker the more damage you do to them, and so on..

Plus, we don't know if TFP version even affects late stage zombies, or how much of a speed increase it actually is at this point. We also don't know how strong the zeds are for A18 either, for all we know they are weaker in the early stages. (Edit: it seems MM did explain it.. see Zarzthor post above :) )

..and if it doesn't go over well with a mass amount of people, I'm sure TFP can remove it.

Shoot, we can already mod in versions of this already and it does add to the game play, in a good way in my 1% opinion ;)

Hell try out guppies version, or mine version, or play BorderlandZ version.

TFP version sounds like, it's really water down compared to ours, or others I don't know about.

Guppy's version: They will run depending on when their health reaches a certain level.

My PoC (Proof of Concept) modlet has two contrasting sets of zeds (based on how much damage they receive as well).

Most start off running. The more damage you do, they will get slower and weaker.

On the flip side: Some zeds start off slow, initially weaker, but get stronger and faster the more damage you do to them.

Not sure exactly how BorderlandZ has theirs tweaked fully.

TFP version just sounds like they added a rando factor on if it will happen and duration timer for a few seconds for how long it lasts, and it doesn't sound like they get close to a full sprint.

TFP version just sounds like they added a rando factor if it happens, and duration timer for a few seconds, for how long it lasts, and it doesn't sound like they get close to a full sprint.

I read something about that the speed is in the middle between walking and sprinting. It will be interesting to see if this also affects feral and radioactive zombies.

Death Penalty

Last edited by Roland; 26 Minutes Ago at 04:59 PM.

Oh come on Roland, don't be so ♥♥♥♥ about it! :p

Hope they dont waste time on this, I start over when I die :)

Would enjoy it in co-op. As for wasting time, they could have it done in minutes, trust me, I am a progamedevdesignerprogrammerenterpreneurceo.

I find it unfair that player has a compass, and watch from the very beginning. Gamers can spawn in and find out lots of valuable information for nothing. Maybe you could add clocks and compass as equipable/consumable items so that players have to scavenge for a bit before they can magically learn time and direction they're facing?

I find it unfair that player has a compass, and watch from the very beginning. Gamers can spawn in and find out lots of valuable information for nothing. Maybe you could add clocks and compass as equipable/consumable items so that players have to scavenge for a bit before they can magically learn time and direction they're facing?

Magical? Sunrises east and sets west. If you know this then you know north and south. Look at a tree to see what time it is by the shadow. Prior to tech, we did navigate and tell time other ways. Taking away the compass and time only to add it when you find/make it is a waste of time and money.

This has been discussed before and I think it's a great idea for these and other UI elements to appear by equipping utility items.

+1 for rage mode coming from me as well. Perhaps I’m also in this so-called 1%, but it seems like much more than that. A change like this is so refreshing. It might be harder, but so what? If it’s too hard, I’ll lower settings until I’m better at it. If 99% of the players truly believe otherwise, I think this game is doomed to be stagnant from here on out.

+1 for rage mode coming from me as well. Perhaps I’m also in this so-called 1%, but it seems like much more than that. A change like this is so refreshing. It might be harder, but so what? If it’s too hard, I’ll lower settings until I’m better at it. If 99% of the players truly believe otherwise, I think this game is doomed to be stagnant from here on out.

It will make zeds more alive & aware, and us, we will be more scared, we need it, I mean, remember first hours in this game.

The only thing that bothers me is, how we gonna melee in really closed spaces in POIs. Which I really wanna be away from easy at some point.

#demolisher

It will make zeds more alive & aware, and us, we will be more scared, we need it, I mean, remember first hours in this game.

The only thing that bothers me is, how we gonna melee in really closed spaces in POIs. Which I really wanna be away from easy at some point.

#demolisher

Maybe Roland can comment on what it’s like in confined space.

I don't think it would be too much different. If you are in confined space and using melee, the zeds are already in your face. Their rage mode might startle you or jack up the anxiety visually, but in terms of distance they were already near the distance of being able to hit you if you could hit them

...however, not sure if rage also increases their rate of taking swings at you. A quick switch from spear to club might be helpful... though I also do not know how fast weapon switching will be either.

IIRC, TFP mentioned in A17 that zombies won't do 2 km long hits anymore. I guess it didn't work out?

I used to hate playing network games of 7 days unless I was hosting p2p. It feels tolerable to me now playing on a dedi. The combat isn't night and day. Ragdolls and impacts are a bit delayed and weird, but that depends on latency. I mean its impossible to have as good of experience in SP. I feel like we've made some ground.

Archived