Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

All these gas/repair kits/BM vehicles/level cap discussions aside, A18 is looking really, really good. Will get my friends to play together when it releases (I got like 5 people to buy the game though I got this game for free because a friend gifted a copy to me(gifted a copy to a friend though), and hopefully our playtogether won't fall out as quick as last time (Mainly it happened because of the performance).

Madmole, do you remember thinking about spawning zombies with dismembered limbs for variety (and to see that biting animation more), plus crawlers being random zombies? I remember you did like the idea.

Yeah I think the idea was well received. We just need to find time. Every cool idea we slip in, delays shipping. So if you guys want A18, you have to stop asking for new stuff :)

Rage Zombies

Okay so a few of us have been playing with this mod or variants of this mod for a while...

...the net result is two fold.

First, the little speed increase when they're coming towards you adds a little challenge when trying for timing, but nothing you can't handle on 1v1.

Where it really shines is in wandering hordes.

You know how currently you can pick one off at a time after they conga line, and wandering hordes are ZERO challenge, no matter the count?

Well now, when you knock one down and move on to another, you have to be wary of the 1, 2, or even 3 that are gonna charge you from the middle of the pack.

It's epic gameplay, and like Tin said, get the mods to get a sneak peak preview.

Madmole, a consultation, already fixed the adherence of the C4 to the weapons boxes? I would like to see better adherence of the C4 to things, in the video of Prime we saw how it did not adhere very well, and a query but the size of the grenades are also going to be modified? I think they have to be smaller

Yeah I think the idea was well received. We just need to find time. Every cool idea we slip in, delays shipping. So if you guys want A18, you have to stop asking for new stuff :)

Screw a date; you guys don't follow them anyway... Pack the release full of goodies. :)

Oh come on Roland, don't be so ♥♥♥♥ about it! :p.

I was worried people might not get what DP stood for and its an important topic to me. :)

In fact, I didn’t know what it meant until I looked over to see who was posting. THEN I knew.

(Being a broken record has some benefits)

I for one would rather just let you guys go ahead and add zombie variety as its quite a crucial feature I feel being that the games main antagonist(s) are zombies.

A bit longer is not going to make any difference as it feels like almost a year has gone by between A17 and A18 already.

Serious question, why does it matter how you kill them? Why have traps at all if you do not want people to use them as a force multiplier? Why penalize smart play in favor of brute force methods?

Crafting a bunch of traps is not participating in the horde event. I don't want players sitting inside doing nothing and then at 4 am go out and collect all their gifts.

Hmmm. Dont know if I like this or not.

Depends on other alpha 18 balancing. Also depends on the % chance of the enrage. We rarely one shot zombies. So we could be dealing with sprinting zombie quite often.

Would be unfair to have zombies set to walk during the day just to have then sprinting all the time anyway. Maybe tie the rage % chance to gamestage?

You can watch the live streams and see it. They never sprint IMO, and usually its a boosted walk. Rarely a jogger whos just enough to make you uncomfortable back pedaling, but you can easily turn and run to gain distance.

Crafting a bunch of traps is not participating in the horde event. I don't want players sitting inside doing nothing and then at 4 am go out and collect all their gifts.

BuT wHy Do YoU cArE hOw I pLaY???

No but seriously... if someone spent so much time (especially with the new Zs) in building up a great base, isn't that "interacting" with the horde enough?

Like... if I farm wood 24/7 until hordenight for spikes... why punish that playstyle if that is how they like to play?

I for one wouldn't do it, and I love that all electric defenses now give xp. That is enough in my eyes...

just wondering why this is so much a thorn in your eye that you explicitially "reduce player choice" to force them to interact with it?

I mean seeing how many radiated Zs were on my day 50 horde (fluctuation of 2 days to give it a bit of edge)... no spikepit in this WORLD could have stopped them.

Like... it was only radiated... and they kept coming till 3 AM (with 16 bmc)

I only survived because electric fences and bladetraps slowed them down enough and thinned out the amount for me that my 300 7.62mm bullets were just about enough.

Again: I am fine with electric traps giving xp. I don't really build spikes anymore.

BUT it would be a nice thing to get xp from all our work, not just from those you deem worthy.

Also... just because I am always so negative:

A18 really looks promising. So many mistakes of 17 were eradicated and so much has been worked on. Really looking forward to it, even if I am still the biggest devils advocat and will continue that god given role :D

No seriously. I like so many features. It looks better and I feel you guys work really hard on this one.

Keep going :)

I used to hate playing network games of 7 days unless I was hosting p2p. It feels tolerable to me now playing on a dedi. The combat isn't night and day. Ragdolls and impacts are a bit delayed and weird, but that depends on latency. I mean its impossible to have as good of experience in SP. I feel like we've made some ground.

Yep, it definitely seems the lag compensation has been improved. Probably the people still get weird issues don't have very good internet or live far away from the host. In A17 the complaints from my friends of zombies hitting from 2 km became zero, but now it seems zombies teleport more. Though thinking about it, now when I played with my 1 friend the 17.x releases, he didn't complain about zombies teleporting anymore, so that might have been fixed. IMO 7 Days to Die netcode seems pretty well done; in A16 already I could play with my friend from Brazil (when I'm from Europe, so he had 300 ping) without problems.

I used to hate playing network games of 7 days unless I was hosting p2p. It feels tolerable to me now playing on a dedi. The combat isn't night and day. Ragdolls and impacts are a bit delayed and weird, but that depends on latency. I mean its impossible to have as good of experience in SP. I feel like we've made some ground.

Made some ground in A18 or A17?

Stop asking for new stuff??? lol Yeah right! Like that's going to happen. ;)

Ah but but the players have already received most of there gifts by 4am. Via experience gained by killing zombies with traps.

- - - Updated - - -

You can watch the live streams and see it. They never sprint IMO, and usually its a boosted walk. Rarely a jogger whos just enough to make you uncomfortable back pedaling, but you can easily turn and run to gain distance.

This new rage thing does make things interesting. I like a challenge. :)

In Alpha 17 it was getting to the point were I would fight groups of zombies barehanded, just to make things challenging.

Madmole can you add dinosaurs to the game? And also add at least 60 new weapons #Don'tBanMe

To GeT BaNnEd YoU HaVe To WrItE LEgitimaTE CRItiCISm in ThIS FoRUM.

Seriously though, I don't understand why the communities outside this forum use the narrative that if someone criticizes TFP or the game in this forum, they get banned. I've seen quite a few very negative posts here.

Archived